Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagining Chet Holmgren Getting Drafted by the San Antonio Spurs

That'd be an awesome turn of events, tbh. I still slightly prefer Paolo Banchero but I'd be equally as excited for Holmgren. You put the right players around him and Holmgren could become a monster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Holmgren a lot. But if he is the pick, Poeltl may be a goner after his free agency next summer. I think that would be a real shame because I believe Poeltl is currently the second best player on the team.

That’s why I’d prefer someone like Banchero or Smith. I think their fit in our current roster is much cleaner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I have seen (albeit a limited viewing), Jabari Smith ~> Holmgren ~> Banchero. Smith hits threes more frequently and more easily than the other two, and is a much more nimble defender. Lets see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Holmgren a lot. But if he is the pick, Poeltl may be a goner after his free agency next summer. I think that would be a real shame because I believe Poeltl is currently the second best player on the team.

That’s why I’d prefer someone like Banchero or Smith. I think their fit in our current roster is much cleaner.
    Poeltl would still be gone. He’s probably going to want to at least double his salary, and we have too many youngsters in line to get paid. There are reportedly several teams interested, and you want to get something for him, rather than see him walk as an UFA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d have Chet behind Smith and Banchero. If we had the 3rd pick and he is on the board you have to take a chance on him and live with the consequences.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl would still be gone. He’s probably going to want to at least double his salary, and we have too many youngsters in line to get paid. There are reportedly several teams interested, and you want to get something for him, rather than see him walk as an UFA.
    He may want that salary but no team is going to offer him it. He will be lucky to make $10 million a year. When we were good, people liked to over pay for our centers (like Baynes and Dedmon) but now that we suck I can’t imagine anybody offering Poeltl 18 million a year. If they do then god bless him and take the money but he’s more in line for the the 10 a year club I think

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagining Chet Holmgren Getting Drafted by the San Antonio Spurs

That'd be an awesome turn of events, tbh. I still slightly prefer Paolo Banchero but I'd be equally as excited for Holmgren. You put the right players around him and Holmgren could become a monster.
    Good stuff.. I've got him 3rd on my BB behind Banchero and Smith but, only because of his frame. If he fills out and retaubs his quickness then he's by far the best player in the draft. I'm just not confident enough that he'll fill out to take the risk at 1 or 2...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He may want that salary but no team is going to offer him it. He will be lucky to make $10 million a year. When we were good, people liked to over pay for our centers (like Baynes and Dedmon) but now that we suck I can’t imagine anybody offering Poeltl 18 million a year. If they do then god bless him and take the money but he’s more in line for the the 10 a year club I think
    He'll easily get his money if he waits until next year. The hope should be thst he accepts an extension this summer (which I believe is capped out around $12M per). That gives us a more valuable trade chip because He'll be locked up longer term..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll easily get his money if he waits until next year. The hope should be thst he accepts an extension this summer (which I believe is capped out around $12M per). That gives us a more valuable trade chip because He'll be locked up longer term..
    I hope he has fun in Detroit or whatever hole organization decides to pay him 18 million a year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think PATFO would love to have this kid. Best shot blocker in the Draft at 7’1 with a 7’6 wingspan. That’ll be his calling card at the next level. But he’s also really skilled for a Center, as can shoot the 3, is a good passer, and can handle the rock well for someone his size. He’s definitely a unicorn.

Some legitimate concerns about his strength though as he only weighs 195 lbs right now. He’ll never be a bruiser, but if/when he adds 15-20 lbs of muscle, I think he’ll be alright in today’s NBA. I really like his at ude from all the interviews I’ve seen on him. No BS kinda guy.

With all that said, I see him as more of a really good piece of the puzzle rather than a true franchise player. A stretch 4/5 who can anchor a team defensively down low and create spacing on the offensive end while also being a good pick-n-roll or pick-n-pop guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he has fun in Detroit or whatever hole organization decides to pay him 18 million a year
    I think it depends on who has cap space in 2023. 15mm a year is a fair price I’d say but I’d be against offering him that unless we looked like we were closing in on becoming a solid playoff team. I think he is extension eligable for 4yrs 50mm. Probably makes sense to sign him to that if he agrees as that is a moveable contract.

Jak could easily play with all 3 of the top bigs in this draft IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it depends on who has cap space in 2023. 15mm a year is a fair price I’d say but I’d be against offering him that unless we looked like we were closing in on becoming a solid playoff team. I think he is extension eligable for 4yrs 50mm. Probably makes sense to sign him to that if he agrees as that is a moveable contract.

Jak could easily play with all 3 of the top bigs in this draft IMO.
    I'm not sure which contenders have actual money to spend. Like the Lakers could definitely use Jak but they can't pay him. Same with the Nets. If I'm Utah, I am looking hard at Gobert and trying to trade him for Jak, filler, and their FRP. Gobert has wilted in the playoffs over and over again while Jak has never started in them so he still has hope.

But as far as we are concerend, Jak is a C player. Once you start paying C players 18 million a year then that's how you lose the already narrow path to the playoffs. Granted having a franchise player can offset that to a degree but we don't have one of those. I believe this team can reach the playoff with DJ as our 1a)/1b) best player. I do not think we can make the playoffs with Jak as our starting center AND DJ as our 1a)/1b). And I definitely don't think we should sign him for that extension.

That being said, this is about Chet and if we draft Chet then you must keep Jak, even at 15 a year. Jak plays a great role next to Chet. He will bang against the stronger bodies and do the dirty work that you might not want someone with Chet's body to do right after coming out of college. Let Chet build muscle for a few years and become a man before you play him in that role, if at all. I mean as long as we are dreaming about Chet, we might as well include Lavine in our dream and have that as our big 3 going forward

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure which contenders have actual money to spend. Like the Lakers could definitely use Jak but they can't pay him. Same with the Nets. If I'm Utah, I am looking hard at Gobert and trying to trade him for Jak, filler, and their FRP. Gobert has wilted in the playoffs over and over again while Jak has never started in them so he still has hope.

But as far as we are concerend, Jak is a C player. Once you start paying C players 18 million a year then that's how you lose the already narrow path to the playoffs. Granted having a franchise player can offset that to a degree but we don't have one of those. I believe this team can reach the playoff with DJ as our 1a)/1b) best player. I do not think we can make the playoffs with Jak as our starting center AND DJ as our 1a)/1b). And I definitely don't think we should sign him for that extension.

That being said, this is about Chet and if we draft Chet then you must keep Jak, even at 15 a year. Jak plays a great role next to Chet. He will bang against the stronger bodies and do the dirty work that you might not want someone with Chet's body to do right after coming out of college. Let Chet build muscle for a few years and become a man before you play him in that role, if at all. I mean as long as we are dreaming about Chet, we might as well include Lavine in our dream and have that as our big 3 going forward
    The lakers should have plenty to pay him...Westbrook and Lebron come off the books the same time Poeltl is an Ufa..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see Chet as a PF but, if his longterm position is at C then EJ Liddell makes some sense as a PF next to him..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure they will. He’s almost making 10 now, and is in high demand because that salary is a ing bargain. You people thought his contract was horrible when signed, but now recognize it as a deal. You’ll eventually come around on the 18-20M one. It’ll take a few years, like this one. Some of us understand the modern game, and what’s valuable, and know that when we see it.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd have fun in Detroit making $18 million a year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet is the best overall player in the draft for me, and my take as Spurs #1 pick IF Spurs get lucky. Chet needs to play the SF/PF like KD does. He can initiate plays on top with his shooting, passing and drive to the basket, or he can be part of the pick and roll. On defense, he helps Poeltl tremendously with his shot blocking and help defense with his length and read on plays. He got the swagger and he is not afraid to mix it up out there. The guy is a unicorn for me. While lately I’ve been intrigued with a possible Seattle trio of Murray/Banchero/LaVine. Heck, either way, that would be awesome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you overthink the possible injuries Holmgren might sustain, you will never pull the trigger on a player with tremendous upside for the Spurs. Spindly 7 footers without his coordination or shooting ability have made long term careers in the NBA simply because of their size. I don't think you can overestimate the advantage his size, handling, coordination, and shooting skillsets give him. If he's available, you take him and live with the potential peril of injury a la Bill Walton or plantar fasciitis a la Tim.
    Duncan.

I can't imagine any team making a trade that would allow us to take him. Isaiah Thomas isn't a GM in the league anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure they will. He’s almost making 10 now, and is in high demand because that salary is a ing bargain. You people thought his contract was horrible when signed, but now recognize it as a deal. You’ll eventually come around on the 18-20M one. It’ll take a few years, like this one. Some of us understand the modern game, and what’s valuable, and know that when we see it.
    It's so valuable that we missed the playoffs. It's so modern to have a player who can't shoot. Also all the rules are totally being designed to help defense too. Not at all offense. I didn't know the 90s was the modern game. Also paying centers big time money is also the modern game. There are currently 10 centers making 18+ million a year and 4 of them would never get that type of contract again. You can add Ayton's name to that next year but Horford will come off it the year the year that Jak gets paid. I don't see Jak being in that group. It's easy to say, but I don't think it will happen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd have fun in Detroit making $18 million a year.
    You might enjoy getting 18 million a year but you won't have fun living in Detroit. There's a reason why people have been leaving that hole for over a decade now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holmgren is like a skilled wing trapped in a 7'0" body. This creates problems for him -- he can get knocked off his spots, he can have a high dribble -- but it basically makes him an incredible shot blocker and very good rebounder (9.9 in only 27 minutes). He's much more than Shawn Bradley with a three. He has a great feel for the game, is very skilled and compe ive. Despite how frail he is, he bangs and gets into it.

I can see him struggling in the wrong situation. Houston would be the wrong place, for example. But in a good defensive structure, he'll be the guy who pastes everything together, erases a lot of mistakes and allows guards to be more aggressive. He's switchable to a pretty good degree, even if he falls down like a baby deer on occasion. On offense, he's not a guy to just stick in the corner.

To me, Banchero and Smith are definitely behind him. Holmgren's an interesting case. He's not the unicorn that Giannis is. He's not Durant on offense. He probably won't score enough to be a top option. But he's going to greatly improve any team he's on. He feels like a great multiplier. Is he what the Spurs need? Of course. I think he can even slot in next to a center in some sets.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't like Chet's awkward looking game anywhere near the Spurs. Don't want the Spurs to have awkward looking players. He will end up being a wasted pick if the spurs are lucky enough to land in the top four.

The best move if they land the number 1 pick is to draft him and trade him for another top guy like Banchero, Smith, Ivey or Sharpe and get another asset in return.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You might enjoy getting 18 million a year but you won't have fun living in Detroit. There's a reason why people have been leaving that hole for over a decade now.
    No player is going to live in Detroit. They'll live in some cracker ass suburb.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will be counting the # of dunks and treys Chet rains down on the Spurs and Chet Haters in coming years.

Book it Dano.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Downtown Detroit has had a little renaissance the last 5-10 years. I got dirt cheap court side Spurs/Pistons tickets - few years back and I was impressed. 30 minutes out of town and there are some real nice suburbs. weather half the year but summertime northern Michigan has great cottage life.

Thread Information