Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy carries this team offensively. Its disgusting to see him have 27pts and the rest of the starters combine for 8. How can a team expect to compete like that? Saw the same last game. It's like his teammates are JV players.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Good news is that someone other than Dallas will be giving Brunson his max deal now..

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Unfortunately he gave away as much as he created. CP3 torching him on defense in the 4th was like watching a public execution

As talented as Luka is, he’s never going to be more than a second round flameout unless he takes his offseasons seriously, loses weight, and drastically improves his conditioning. He does this all the time, play brilliantly for 3 quarters, get all red-faced by the 4th, and then he’s just letting defenders blow by him on defense and using 18 seconds of the shot clock on offense dribbling up top to catch his breath.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ It does look like he’s tired a lot, and barely has anything left for the fourth quarter. Lacks endurance and stamina to play both ends. In that he’s like an old past his prime star player, and he’s too young for that. I agree that being in better physical shape would help.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    And at this point you have to retain Brunson whatever the cost is. You don’t have the cap space to replace him if he leaves. As bad as Brunson’s been this series, he’s one of the few decent assets the Mavericks have, and losing him for nothing would be a disaster.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Good news is that someone other than Dallas will be giving Brunson his max deal now..
    Doubtful. If someone were to outbid Cuban, highly unlikely it will be by making a max contract offer. And doubtful his play in this round has inspired teams to up their contract offers to max level offers.

From NBA rumors and analysts, sounds like his free agent stock is right around $80M/4. Ceiling probably $100M/4. I think Cuban matches a deal in the $80M range. I think he strongly considers matching a $100M deal as well, but maybe let’s him walk at that price tag.

What Cuban has to do is find some team to take on Hardaway’s contract, maybe package Powell too if any team out there is desperate or dumb enough. Brunson is more valuable than either THJ or Dinwiddie, on the court and as an asset. He’s the guy you keep. Find a way to dump THJ and Powell. I know that’s not an easy thing to do. But that’s the play.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    yep cubes screwed up mightily. they have to pay brunson and pay him whatever he wants basically. then try to make things happen on the trade market.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As talented as Luka is, he’s never going to be more than a second round flameout unless he takes his offseasons seriously, loses weight, and drastically improves his conditioning. He does this all the time, play brilliantly for 3 quarters, get all red-faced by the 4th, and then he’s just letting defenders blow by him on defense and using 18 seconds of the shot clock on offense dribbling up top to catch his breath.
    I don't know, same used to happen to Duncan against the Lakers in the early 00s where he'd play ridiculous through three quarters but couldn't carry the load by himself in the fourth and it wasn't conditioning, it was just matching up against a le contender with more weapons so they wouldn't have to ride their one horse into the ground.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    I don't know, same used to happen to Duncan against the Lakers in the early 00s where he'd play ridiculous through three quarters but couldn't carry the load by himself in the fourth and it wasn't conditioning, it was just matching up against a le contender with more weapons so they wouldn't have to ride their one horse into the ground.
    this is definitely true too, but luka definitely needs to lose weight just for the defensive aspect. he is a generally underrated defender, but quick, shifty guards have always been his kryptonite, which CP3 is exposing. the better fitness and lighter weight should help tremendously

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d rather have Luka than Jokic. I hear that people are saying like Luka is gassed and outta shape but if this is him outta shape, can you imagine what he will be like in shape? As George Takei would say: “oh my.”

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Doubtful. If someone were to outbid Cuban, highly unlikely it will be by making a max contract offer. And doubtful his play in this round has inspired teams to up their contract offers to max level offers.

From NBA rumors and analysts, sounds like his free agent stock is right around $80M/4. Ceiling probably $100M/4. I think Cuban matches a deal in the $80M range. I think he strongly considers matching a $100M deal as well, but maybe let’s him walk at that price tag.

What Cuban has to do is find some team to take on Hardaway’s contract, maybe package Powell too if any team out there is desperate or dumb enough. Brunson is more valuable than either THJ or Dinwiddie, on the court and as an asset. He’s the guy you keep. Find a way to dump THJ and Powell. I know that’s not an easy thing to do. But that’s the play.
    Yeah I agree with ya on moving those 2, but that's damn near impossible

And when Dinwiddie was featured more the guy had some serious clutch moments. I still wonder if he can be our 2nd fiddle to Luka if given more opportunities.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I’d rather have Luka than Jokic. I hear that people are saying like Luka is gassed and outta shape but if this is him outta shape, can you imagine what he will be like in shape? As George Takei would say: “oh my.”
    Or Skip claiming that Luka is not a superstar . Dumbest take he has ever offered.

But the critics who slam him on conditioning are correct. This is an annual thing for him now. Show up to camp fat and out of shape. When confronted just brush it off and say I have never been a muscular guy. It's just unacceptable. My criticism of Lebron is well do ented here, but he sets the bar for conditioning and Luka is currently not in his stratosphere.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he should be in better shape this year, as he will have international ball in september. Last year he had too much time off after the olympics.
    And Dallas also has to do a great job in the offseason. If they go in the season with this team full of role players they wont be in the top 4 anymore, especially with the Clippers coming back, the rise of the Pelicans and Denver also getting healthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BB is correct. You cannot expect Luka to carry the team for 4 quarters. Someone has to step up on offense. You know he's a big guy with a big body, and he's not going to suddenly become Lebron James on conditioning. He's going to be winded by the 4th. He's probably never going to be a stellar defender but he's serviceable and not many people (if anyone) can Keep Paul in front of them. CP has made a career of being able to go around people.

I'd not be surprised to see Luka look elsewhere if Cuban is too cheap to put real talent around him, and I don't mean the Spurs style "diamond in the rough" hunt that bleeds critical years from your super star to save the owner money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he should be in better shape this year, as he will have international ball in september. Last year he had too much time off after the olympics.
    And Dallas also has to do a great job in the offseason. If they go in the season with this team full of role players they wont be in the top 4 anymore, especially with the Clippers coming back, the rise of the Pelicans and Denver also getting healthy.
    They are in the 2nd round because of Luka. I don't see any reason they cannot get back to the playoffs if he's healthy. Role players are everywhere.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My criticism of Lebron is well do ented here

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Well Brunson had a great game last night so he helped redeem some of that perceived lost value from games 1-2. Agreed they should keep him guys that win consistently on every level you want guys like that. Problem is I don’t believe him or Dinwiddie is a #2 on a championship team. Paying a guy who is having his Fred van fleet moment … is always dicey. I think he might be better than FVL but you risk making same mistake Mavs just did with THjr or whomever first paid Dinwiddie. If price is to high I try to sign and trade or if you do keep him at a crazy cost I look to deal him quick and hope he doesn’t depreciate before I do. Paying above average player star money is how you stay mired in mediocrity.
    Luka deserves better.
    Do agree that conditioning diet need to be a top priority but crazy how good this kid is early … another thing he has in common with a certain other melanin challenged superstar …

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    $20-25 million a year is not #2 money in the NBA. On a playoff competing team, a legitimate contending team, $20-25 million per is your 4th highest paid player. It’s Draymond or Marcus Smart, Aaron Gordon money. Good players, starters, maybe even fringe all star caliber talent. But not #1s or #2s. Franchise stars are making over $40 million per now, and , it’s approaching $50M per. #2s are getting $30-35 million per or more. On Milwaukee, Boston, Miami, $20-25 million per would be the 4th highest paid player on the roster. On Golden State, it would be the 5th highest roster player.

The NBA financial landscape changes every few years, grows with inflation. The MLE averages to around $11 million per. That’s an MLE caliber player. Like a 5th starter or a 20 minute bench guy. Role players, even off the bench, make $17-20 million per. Gallinari makes over $20 million per to come off the bench. Dinwiddie $18M per, Hardaway Jr. over $19M per, both are bench players, part-time starters.

Paying Brunson a $20-25M per deal is not paying him to be a #2, or it shouldn’t be. It’s market value these days.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I agree with ya on moving those 2, but that's damn near impossible

And when Dinwiddie was featured more the guy had some serious clutch moments. I still wonder if he can be our 2nd fiddle to Luka if given more opportunities.
    So on the one hand, you were ready to give up Jalen Brunson after two bad games against the best team in the NBA, despite the fact that he dominated round one.

But you are ready to hand Spencer Dinwiddie, who has underperformed in the Playoffs at best (and been a complete no-show at worst) the second fiddle?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Mavs can win a championship as currently assembled. I wouldn't mess with it too much. Luka and Brunson are still on the way up and the chemistry is near perfect right now. I'd even keep Theo Pinson for the cheerleading and trash talking. Keep shuffling in good shooters who can defend the 3, maybe get a big with a little more length and range than Powell, but the pieces are there.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    $20-25 million a year is not #2 money in the NBA. On a playoff competing team, a legitimate contending team, $20-25 million per is your 4th highest paid player. It’s Draymond or Marcus Smart, Aaron Gordon money. Good players, starters, maybe even fringe all star caliber talent. But not #1s or #2s. Franchise stars are making over $40 million per now, and , it’s approaching $50M per. #2s are getting $30-35 million per or more. On Milwaukee, Boston, Miami, $20-25 million per would be the 4th highest paid player on the roster. On Golden State, it would be the 5th highest roster player.

The NBA financial landscape changes every few years, grows with inflation. The MLE averages to around $11 million per. That’s an MLE caliber player. Like a 5th starter or a 20 minute bench guy. Role players, even off the bench, make $17-20 million per. Gallinari makes over $20 million per to come off the bench. Dinwiddie $18M per, Hardaway Jr. over $19M per, both are bench players, part-time starters.

Paying Brunson a $20-25M per deal is not paying him to be a #2, or it shouldn’t be. It’s market value these days.
    yep this

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    I think the Mavs can win a championship as currently assembled. I wouldn't mess with it too much. Luka and Brunson are still on the way up and the chemistry is near perfect right now. I'd even keep Theo Pinson for the cheerleading and trash talking. Keep shuffling in good shooters who can defend the 3, maybe get a big with a little more length and range than Powell, but the pieces are there.
    they aren't as far off as some people suggest, mostly because Luka is just that good.

but replacing Powell with a better big is definitely a priority and can really push them from being a dark horse contender to a favorite

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Draymond is the only one on a championship level squad you mentioned…which further proves my point.Look at the other examples including two from the Mavs?! Fine, agreed $25 million plus isn’t crushing if your books are in order but Draymond makes the third or 4th salary on the Warriors because he legit has proven to be the 3rd best player on an elite team. If Brunson gets 25 million to have a similar role especially if the #2 is much better than he is it can work. But his pops is talking more and though I like him a lot I’m not paying it. This seems to be the current theme market value I hear the same argument for Dak … no I’m not paying significantly over what someone is worth regardless of mistakes made by other teams. that. Especially if my team is not close … and no this team (not you that said this) cannot win as constructed gtfoh.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    they aren't as far off as some people suggest, mostly because Luka is just that good.

but replacing Powell with a better big is definitely a priority and can really push them from being a dark horse contender to a favorite
    Agree with Luka part strongly disagree with the rest they need a big and a legit #2

Neither grows on trees

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with Luka part strongly disagree with the rest they need a big and a legit #2

Neither grows on trees
    the big should be a priority. The fact that they are this good with like Powell and a very inconsistent Kleber is already a miracle. I also dont believe Brunson is good enough to be a #2 on a championship team, so a sign and trade for a big should be in Cuban's mind. Myles Turner and Capela would be guys that they could get and make that position better. I have no idea how they will get a second all star tho. Bertans and Dinwiddie's contracts are almost impossible to trade, so they are ed with those, probably for at least another year... They should also keep Bullock and DFS, as i think they are solid role players, but other than that, theres not much in the team for keeping.... If they go into the next season with the same roster they wont be in top 4, cause the Clippers and Denver at full strenght are just better. Not even Luka can change that.
    It just came to my mind, a guy like CJ McCollum would help. I always said Klay would be a perfect Luka teammate, but thats impossible.

Thread Information