Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A couple of questions that I’m having a hard time answering with Smith, that perhaps some who are comfortable being the #1 pick can assist with:

1. How does Smith generate Offensive advantages if his shot isn’t falling?

The answer is “gravity” and that basketball is a team sport. When a player is a good shooter, the defense can’t ignore him. When a tall player who’s a good shooter moves to the arc, a tall defender has to go with him. It opens up the middle, with wider driving lanes for your guards.

2. Is he a guy who “gets off” on shooting contested jumpers and such is it to the point that he’s unable to differentiate a good from bad shot?

He’s 19. His shot selection suks. Lol. You know it without even looking. There isn’t any 19-year old who has really good shot selection. They’re not seasoned enough yet, not experienced enough.

Don’t think of a draft prospect as if he were a ten-year NBA vet. If you’re looking at trading for a ten-year vet then of course you’d expect him to have good judgment about when to shoot. But a draftee? Nah. You just look at whether he’s basically a good shooter. You know he still has a lot to learn.

This is probably going to bite me in the butt somewhat but I actually prefer Ivey and Murray ahead of him atm

I don’t know why that would bite you. There isn’t any sure-thing #1 pick in this draft. It’s considered a weak draft in that way. But in terms of good players, who’ll be able to find a spot in the NBA, it’s looking like it might be a pretty decent draft. Whether the Spurs ought to take Smith I have no idea. But I know he should be on the list of possibilities if they get a high enough pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole “this is a weak draft” is just silly.

A year ago the 2021 draft was regarded as weak and the 2022 draft was regarded as strong. 1 year later here we are and the 2021 draft actually turned out pretty good; not our pick, but the top 5 or so and now this years draft is considered poor. It’s a recurring theme.

NBA twitter analysts have only made this worse.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rudy Gay isn’t a low blow. He was a borderline All Star during the first half of his career. Just because we know how he turned out (lack of success as a primary option) doesn’t negate how he was viewed for much of his career. People see a shooter and set the highest possible ceiling on them. He’s obviously not KD, so what is he? Yes, people are saying how good of a 3 pt shooter he is, but what exactly from his existing skills will carry him to be a top 25 NBA player in this league? Maybe Paul George is his ceiling? But Paul is much more explosive than Jabari. Rashard isn't a top player in today’s league even if you add defense.
    I know Lewis is the popular comp, but I'd go Jackson Jr. Granted, he's a 4.5 (more of a 5) and far superior rim protector, but they're both essentially athletic/mobile 3 and D bigs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jabari's percentage at the rim is an area that needs improvement, but the idea that he's a one dimensional shooter is just not true. He's outstanding from anywhere around the elbow in addition to being great from all spots behind the three point line. He's basically elite from the free throw line back. His overall TS% is higher than Banchero's. He also gets to the free throw line more often than Banchero, which wouldn't be the case if he was timid or afraid of contact.
    Best case scenario is the midrange of DeRozan plus the three point shooting of Dirk plus the FTA of Tatum/Jokic. Plus defense. That's not a one dimensional guy.

http://mavsdraft.com/jabari-smith-scouting-report/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see Jabari Smith as having a ceiling closer to Jayson Tatum.
    Check out their college stats

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Jayson-Tatum/Comparison/52034/Jabari-Smith-II/145673

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's much easier to raise your 2 pt shooting % near the basket than your perimeter shooting game.

Smith hits his FT and 3 pt at a good % so the low 2 pt. % is an anomaly that will correct naturally and nothing to be even be concerned about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's much easier to raise your 2 pt shooting % near the basket than your perimeter shooting game.

Smith hits his FT and 3 pt at a good % so the low 2 pt. % is an anomaly that will correct naturally and nothing to be even be concerned about.
    Good points. He does the things you dream of
    a 6’10 PF doing. I think he can learn the small
    stuff.
    Last edited by KingKev; 05-10-2022 at 06:47 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the best the draft has to offer is a Rudy Gayesque player who falls in love too often with taking inefficient, contested shots—then he should be the pick. If it’s a stronger draft than that, then other players should be the pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he's necessarily a bad guy, from what I've seen, but that team is going to ruin players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's why I don't like a team purposefully tank your guys does not have a sense of belonging and don't bother fighting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's why I don't like a team purposefully tank your guys does not have a sense of belonging and don't bother fighting.
    Exactly. It creates an awful loser environment where no one cares about each other on the court. Sengun still cares, but how long will that last? Smith probably did, but playing with KPJ and Greene has already poured acid over everything.

Also shows the need for good veteran leadership. I don't blame Gordon -- I don't think the young whippersnappers would listen to him anyway. And Boban is too busy shooting Goldfish commercials.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Off - topic, but I don't understand why Houston's management thought two inefficient chuckers starting together with no true PG is/was a good idea.

They need to jettison Porter Jr. for whatever they can get and draft a "true" PG in June.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Off - topic, but I don't understand why Houston's management thought two inefficient chuckers starting together with no true PG is/was a good idea.

They need to jettison Porter Jr. for whatever they can get and draft a "true" PG in June.
    They like Wemby too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His shooting has been a real disappointment and it’s clear now Banchero was the best prospect. I thought Jabari would immediately come in and be a legit 3PT shooter but it’s not the case and without that he’s not even a great prospect. His at ude seems questionable but everyone on HOU seems mentally out of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor BB IQ. Period.

Thread Information