Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can’t brush off the 2003 le. No other player of his era essentially won a ‘chip with only supporting players. Tony was second year, and had no jump shot. Rookie Manu was injured, and missed about 1/3 of the season. Robinson was washed, pulling out a good game about every 4 or 5.
    I agree with you but judging from what I see online they are too many stupid people who dismiss Duncan's achievements because he doesn't have high scoring averages. They also argue he was a system player and only won because of Pop. You don't have to sell Duncan to me in my eyes he's a top 5 player all time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can’t brush off the 2003 le. No other player of his era essentially won a ‘chip with only supporting players. Tony was second year, and had no jump shot. Rookie Manu was injured, and missed about 1/3 of the season. Robinson was washed, pulling out a good game about every 4 or 5.
    They will spin it as he has four HoFers on the team, loaded team, etc ....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup I have heard that spin job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, the media is made up of a bunch of fans as well. It is no coincidence that the bigger market stars generally gets overrated and those from smaller markets get underrated.

I mean, people talk about James Worthy like he's one of the greatest ever. He was good, very good. All-star level, but he's really borderline HoF if he was on any other team. And I love Big Game James, but look at it objectively, he is a 3rd option on a great team. Nobody talks about Parker, Parish, Bosh, Laimbeer in that regard. On individual accomplishments, he isn't much better than Webber, but he is on the 50 and by default the 75 team.

Magic, pretty much my favourite non-Spurs player ever, isn't better than Bird, he was as good as or slightly less than Bird, yet he is routinely ranked above Bird.

Patrick Ewing? I mean, come on man, he was no where close to the Admiral and Hakeem in the same era, he was clearly a notch below but Ewing will forever be ranked along side them.

I am not going into Willis Reed as he just passed away and I had a lot of respect for his toughness.

Bill Bradley? Dave DeBusschere? These are like 3rd ring stars. Give me a break.

Isiah Thomas is criminally underrated. Horrible coach, even worse GM, and a horrible person overall, but as a player? He was incredible, one of the first score-first point guard (after Tiny Achibald) setting the table for guys like Tim Hardaway, Allen Iverson, and later Derrick Rose, Wade and to an extent Westbrook, and John Wall.

Clyde Drexler is now an after thought as one of the greatest SG of all time.

It will always be like this, it's nothing against Duncan or the Spurs, it's just that the media are made of a bunch of fans and the bigger markets get most fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which I completely destroyed already…none of them were even AS quality that year. Doesn’t matter what they were or what they would become.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rick Barry, Alvin Hays and Walt Fraiser are hardly remembered by guys on an NBA forum chatting, think about the average, NBA 2K and ESPN fan.... They probably wouldn't even think basketball players hearing the names unless it was already the topic of conversation.
    Those guys played 50 years ago, so there are vanishingly few people online who were alive to remember them. There just aren’t a lot of NBA fans over 60 online. Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West don’t get talked about either. Plus the average NBA fan is pretty dumb, can’t remember the past, and prefers flash over winning. Who cares whether dumb people revere Tim Duncan? Hardcore fans always will. Among those fans who are capable of remembering the past, even by 2050 he will remain a consensus Top 10 NBA player all-time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, the media is made up of a bunch of fans as well. It is no coincidence that the bigger market stars generally gets overrated and those from smaller markets get underrated.

I mean, people talk about James Worthy like he's one of the greatest ever. He was good, very good. All-star level, but he's really borderline HoF if he was on any other team. And I love Big Game James, but look at it objectively, he is a 3rd option on a great team. Nobody talks about Parker, Parish, Bosh, Laimbeer in that regard. On individual accomplishments, he isn't much better than Webber, but he is on the 50 and by default the 75 team.

Magic, pretty much my favourite non-Spurs player ever, isn't better than Bird, he was as good as or slightly less than Bird, yet he is routinely ranked above Bird.

Patrick Ewing? I mean, come on man, he was no where close to the Admiral and Hakeem in the same era, he was clearly a notch below but Ewing will forever be ranked along side them.

I am not going into Willis Reed as he just passed away and I had a lot of respect for his toughness.

Bill Bradley? Dave DeBusschere? These are like 3rd ring stars. Give me a break.

Isiah Thomas is criminally underrated. Horrible coach, even worse GM, and a horrible person overall, but as a player? He was incredible, one of the first score-first point guard (after Tiny Achibald) setting the table for guys like Tim Hardaway, Allen Iverson, and later Derrick Rose, Wade and to an extent Westbrook, and John Wall.

Clyde Drexler is now an after thought as one of the greatest SG of all time.

It will always be like this, it's nothing against Duncan or the Spurs, it's just that the media are made of a bunch of fans and the bigger markets get most fans.
    IMO, though many are frustrated by this, it is was makes being a true Spurs fan great. We aren’t the Cowboys or Lakers or Yankees, we don’t have bandwagon fans - even during the prime or our dynasty, we were more likely to be called boring than to have bandwagon fans. At the same time, even opposing fans respect our team, our players and our coach. Being a fan of this team, for many of us is a birthright being born and raised in SA. For others, they came to the team because of a international star from their home country, or via being a Navy vet, for for some other reason. But we have true fans - even the ones who claim they’ll give up on this team, never actually leave.

I don’t care if Bill Simmons thinks Duncan is the best ever or if Pop is the GOAT. I don’t care if they put whatever Johnny-come-lately big man in the same conversation as Timmy (like they tried with AD a few years ago). It’s all for clicks and views, but the truth is pretty obvious. We don’t need the media to pump up our history and lore, because it’s authentic and doesn’t require it.

the media fanboys, we’ve got Selena Gomez on our side, and beyond that I actually don’t GAF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully we never see Gold on a Spurs court again unless it’s a NBA Finals logo and trophy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question regarding Spurs Jerseys:

Is it possible to buy the classic edition jersey for a retired player, like TD? Or do you just buy a custom one and make it like it’s X’s jersey?

Also, anyone know if it’s possible to buy the 2020 city edition jersey?

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Nike.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sean Elliott episode was awesome. Was interesting to hear his comments on draft day though, didn't seem too thrilled to be picked by San Antonio at first, or he didn't think it was a possibility at all so he was caught off guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sean Elliott episode must see for any old heads who were around for that era. Great material and historic bits on that original golden era. Watching his highlights, I think Elliott’s comp in 2023 is Jalen Brown bc he’d put up similar numbers in todays bloated offense and 3pt happy era.

A footnote - there was one season that they had Robinson, Elliott, and Rodman. Three legit all stars near or just over their prime. They should’ve destroyed the league that year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count