My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Agent Mahrez did his job well last summer
    pgardn, Mahrez is too versatile tbh, De Bruyne would never,

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    Smart safe move for Haaland. I see him moving elsewhere eventually even in his prime but this is a low gamble place to continue evolving as a player.

Entirely different animal than Dortmund though. Goes from place where domestic play is celebrated to rather meaningless at City. Fortunately he's joining before the club finally broke the UCL wall. When it inevitably happens he will be celebrated as the reason.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Thats indeed smart for Haaland and cheap for city.. I'm reading between 60 and 75 m !? why is that ? injuries concern ? I was expecting him well over 150 M

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    Agent Mahrez did his job well last summer
    pgardn, Mahrez is too versatile tbh, De Bruyne would never,

Haaland is an out and out striker.
    Of course the wings should be excited.
    Debruyne will not play the same role as Haaland and never has.
    Why do you think MC wanted Kane so badly, it was not to replace DeBruyne.

DeBruyne was injured quite a bit and definitely overused as the final in RM showed.
    Mahrez is not near as strong as Debruyne and never will be a guy who rampages through the center of the midfield.
    They play different positions and Debruynes job is very exhausting under Pep. Few guys of his size can do what he does.

DeBruyne is also 30 so he is going to have to be utilized carefully from now on. Debrunye has bee absolutely fantastic for MC. Chelsea made a huge mistake with dear old Kevin.

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    Smart safe move for Haaland. I see him moving elsewhere eventually even in his prime but this is a low gamble place to continue evolving as a player.

Entirely different animal than Dortmund though. Goes from place where domestic play is celebrated to rather meaningless at City. Fortunately he's joining before the club finally broke the UCL wall. When it inevitably happens he will be celebrated as the reason.
    Meaningless? You dont think MC was watching the Spurs-Liverpool game? What do domestic games mean to Bayern?

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    Thats indeed smart for Haaland and cheap for city.. I'm reading between 60 and 75 m !? why is that ? injuries concern ? I was expecting him well over 150 M
    He wont be the star with pressure taking less imo.
    MC will have a bigger fish in different games as always.
    For instance going to MU and earning more would have been very difficult.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Haaland is an out and out striker.
    Of course the wings should be excited.
    Debruyne will not play the same role as Haaland and never has.
    Why do you think MC wanted Kane so badly, it was not to replace DeBruyne.

DeBruyne was injured quite a bit and definitely overused as the final in RM showed.
    Mahrez is not near as strong as Debruyne and never will be a guy who rampages through the center of the midfield.
    They play different positions and Debruynes job is very exhausting under Pep. Few guys of his size can do what he does.

DeBruyne is also 30 so he is going to have to be utilized carefully from now on. Debrunye has bee absolutely fantastic for MC. Chelsea made a huge mistake with dear old Kevin.
    You’ve never watched Mahrez with freedom, he was rampaging through midfield, wing, boxes, bald fraud put him in prison with his “philosophy” and Mahrezis still contributing when it matters, unlike that fat choking waffle

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Doubt City was his first choice, but paying doesn’t matter what for a young player that’s often injured probably didn’t make sense.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    His contract establishes different release clauses by the time the clause get triggered. Last year was well over €100M, this year it dropped a lot. But Haaland will still demand very high salaries and perhaps signing bonuses.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    His contract establishes different release clauses by the time the clause get triggered. Last year was well over €100M, this year it dropped a lot. But Haaland will still demand very high salaries and perhaps signing bonuses.
    That's still a small amount to pay for City... I mean Mbappe signed for PSG for 180 M, Felix at 120 M like griezman etc etc, this transfert is gonna be cheaper than Zidane to Madrid 20 years ago...
    Not sure why Madrid, Barça, PSG did not throw much more money. But again that's a great signing for him, as said by others it is going to be less pressure on him and a bargain for City.
    That's maybe the move that will give City a CL.
    Also it will probably help retain Guardiola, Brazil NT would love to hire him after the WC

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    On a side note, mods could take 5 mn to update France NT logo tbh ? would like to see dat second star... -_- timvp

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    You’ve never watched Mahrez with freedom, he was rampaging through midfield, wing, boxes, bald fraud put him in prison with his “philosophy” and Mahrezis still contributing when it matters, unlike that fat choking waffle
    I saw him play with LC and he was given more freedom because he knew exactly how that team was run. A very fast Vardy, and the most skilled offensive player on the team, himself. But in no way does he have the strength of DeBruyne. You cant just remember KD going off the field against RM totally exhausted in a losing effort. Thats a game people play on this board all the time. The last game defines the players career. And Debruyne was not as effective this year as in the past mostly because he was injured quite a bit and he is older. It remains to be seen if he can continue such a high level of play that was essential for MC. He is/was the guy that takes by far the majority of the risks of making poor passes and losing the ball because his game is running at and through defenders. I like players who are willing to look bad by taking the risks that must be taken to make a team work. No one on that MC team penetrated defenses as often and as effectively as DeBruyne over these MC years.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Mahrez is a better recruiter to boot

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Solid backup for Julian Alvarez imo

My Team
    USA
    Post Count
    ^Salty

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    Meaningless? You dont think MC was watching the Spurs-Liverpool game? What do domestic games mean to Bayern?
    Tournament trophy is more impressive for Big Club domestically. Lower probability of winning. But failing the league cup is more damaging.

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    Tournament trophy is more impressive for Big Club domestically. Lower probability of winning. But failing the league cup is more damaging.
    The FA in England has made sure domestically winning the league is the biggest goal as shown by the way they schedule their tournament games with the UEFA tourneys. The make it difficult. The Football Association is clearly saying to the teams, winning domestically is most important, just by their scheduling.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Some reports say, Haaland has forced the City to put a €150M release clause in two sessions in the contract. Perhaps Madrid would go for him then. Karim would be much older then.

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    From what I've been told Haaland soured his exit from the club. Forcing them to deal him earlier than they wanted and then ceremony on final match. Regarded as so/so locker room guy.

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    I guess the dissing of Debruyne was a jinx and praise of Mahrez a reverse jinx?

The fat waffle scores 4 goals in ONE game then Mahrez misses a penalty…

You guys don’t do that again, you are trying to give MC the le and then take it away and give it to Liverpool?
    Why?

lol emoji…

I still love you Lefty. I promise.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    I guess the dissing of Debruyne was a jinx and praise of Mahrez a reverse jinx?

The fat waffle scores 4 goals in ONE game then Mahrez misses a penalty…

You guys don’t do that again, you are trying to give MC the le and then take it away and give it to Liverpool?
    Why?

lol emoji…

I still love you Lefty. I promise.
    Nah man

My opinion hasn’t changed

Besides, Mahrez had a good game

All the great penalty takers miss once in a while (but is it a miss if the GK makes the save?)

Even CR7 has missed a few pens

And to be fair, Fabianski has stopped a penalty from Jorginho earlier this season

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    Nah man

My opinion hasn’t changed

Besides, Mahrez had a good game

All the great penalty takers miss once in a while (but is it a miss if the GK makes the save?)

Even CR7 has missed a few pens

And to be fair, Fabianski has stopped a penalty from Jorginho earlier this season
    It was a very very savable take big guy.
    Shoulder high and would not have hit the side netting.

That kick would have been a huge miss if not for Spurs giving Liverpool fits when it mattered.
    Hit hard as , but that’s not enough when hit at shoulder height.

Mahrez plays in a position that has at least 3 very good players.
    So Mahrez has to be considerably better in the total game which includes defense which Pep clearly thinks is his weakness.
    There are other teams not as stacked. And lack compe ion for the spot. There may be a better fit in a league that plays more positional defense.
    Last edited by pgardn; 05-16-2022 at 05:02 PM.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    It was a very very savable take big guy.
    Shoulder high and would not have hit the side netting.

That kick would have been a huge miss if not for Spurs giving Liverpool fits when it mattered.
    Hit hard as , but that’s not enough when hit at shoulder height.

Mahrez plays in a position that has at least 3 very good players.
    So Mahrez has to be considerably better in the total game which includes defense which Pep clearly thinks is his weakness.
    There are other teams not as stacked. And lack compe ion for the spot. There may be a better fit in a league that plays more positional defense.
    He usually shoots higher, so he may have thought Fabianski was gonna go for that and decided to shoot lower
    Great anticipation by Fabianski

Mahrez is brilliant on the defensive end too, yea he was scolded by Pep early in the season for slacking off but since then he has been stellar, taking the ball away from the likes of Neymar, Messi, Vini, Benz, Mane… and some of those forced turnovers have actually led to scoring chances

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    He usually shoots higher, so he may have thought Fabianski was gonna go for that and decided to shoot lower
    Great anticipation by Fabianski

Mahrez is brilliant on the defensive end too, yea he was scolded by Pep early in the season for slacking off but since then he has been stellar, taking the ball away from the likes of Neymar, Messi, Vini, Benz, Mane… and some of those forced turnovers have actually led to scoring chances
    Part of what may be the difference in how we view his defense is I have watched him in the EPL more than the CL. Pep got on him in these games as well. (And he definitely was taken off against RM last game because he was not covering up his area. Pep was right in his ear.)
    You indicated he does gets more excited in the CL games. It’s hard to get up for many of the EPL games as it’s very top heavy with MC, Liverpool, and Chelsea (although it was clear Chelsea started playing very poorly when the Russian owner had to release ownership of the team).

Arsenal, MU, West Ham, and Tottenham (although they beat MC twice and tied Liverpool twice) are just not on the same level.
    Then, imo, there is a large drop off even more drastic after these 4. So it may be difficult getting pumped up.

So anyways, Liverpool seems like they would take him if Salah leaves. But I have no idea what Mahrez contract status is. And Klopp is a huge effort guy for any game. Salah and Mane run all day which leaves the other wing to be subbed because of the work required.
    Chelsea absolutely needs a scorer upfront as well but it’s not clear who the owners will be and how much $ they will put up.
    Now Newcastle… they will have the ability to pay people with their new owners, but that’s a construction project. Maybe one of the big Spanish teams…

Thread Information