Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hes someone that if other teams are not “sold” on him at 4, and that if SA does not land a top 4 pick, I hope SA can trade up for. If Ivey falls to like pick 5-7, SA use 9 + 20 to move up (or something in that mold). I think hes the one of the top 4 that has best shot at falling some and SA moving up to get.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hes someone that if other teams are not “sold” on him at 4, and that if SA does not land a top 4 pick, I hope SA can trade up for. If Ivey falls to like pick 5-7, SA use 9 + 20 to move up (or something in that mold). I think hes the one of the top 4 that has best shot at falling some and SA moving up to get.
    Only shot is the Spurs landing the 4th pick and getting him there.

I don't see them trading up to get him.
    And if they land a top 3 pick will probably not take him.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Likely true - but as I said, out of the projected top 4, he seems to be the one MOST likely (may not be likely overall) to fall/be attainable via trade up

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I have Jaden solidly locked in at 4 on my personal board but, I could see a scenario where a team falls in love with Sharpe and they take him at 4 instead...I could also see an indy or Portland taking Murray over him...so falling to 6 isn't out of the question here...I think it's more likely he's goes 4 but I think 6 is the absolute floor for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have Jaden solidly locked in at 4 on my personal board but, I could see a scenario where a team falls in love with Sharpe and they take him at 4 instead...I could also see an indy or Portland taking Murray over him...so falling to 6 isn't out of the question here...I think it's more likely he's goes 4 but I think 6 is the absolute floor for him.
    There are usually only two to three players that are real locks. Last year, Toronto went off the map with, coincidentally, pick #4, selecting Scotty Barnes, and causing Jalen Suggs to drop to #5. There had been a consensus top 4 across most mocks for months.

If teams feel that his 3 pt shooting won't translate, he could drop a spot or two.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would love for us to be at a high pick to be able to pick him, though I could see the team taking Keegan Murray over Jaden Ivey, but who knows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny how when a name gets hot, people immediately start comping that name in draft comparisons. Ja Morant's definitely that guy now. Ivey is super athletic? Ah, he must be like Ja Morant. But he's really not at all. Ivey averaged far fewer assists than De'Aaron Fox, who in turn averaged far fewer assists than Ja... And Ivey's advanced stats in college are about as far below Fox's as Fox's were below Ja's. Same for assist-to-turnover-ratio. Change that comp from like Morant to like Fox but with fewer assists and better three point shooting and questionable defense (though neither Fox or Morant are great defensively either) or Morant with fewer points, assists, & steals or from combo guard to undersized shooting guard and I think people aren't quite as excited. That first comp usually draws people in, and in this case I think the Morant comp is way off. Obviously a talented scorer, but I guess I immediately try to think of what team has won a le featuring a high scoring undersized SG lately? Miami with D Wade? Dallas with Jason Terry? It's certainly not impossible.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 05-11-2022 at 12:05 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny how when a name gets hot, people immediately start comping that name in draft comparisons. Ja Morant's definitely that guy now. Ivey is super athletic? Ah, he must be like Ja Morant. But he's really not at all. Ivey averaged far fewer assists than De'Aaron Fox, who in turn averaged far fewer assists than Ja... And Ivey's advanced stats in college are about as far below Fox's as Fox's were below Ja's. Same for assist-to-turnover-ratio. Change that comp from like Morant to like Fox but with fewer assists and better three point shooting and questionable defense (though neither Fox or Morant are great defensively either) or Morant with fewer points, assists, & steals or from combo guard to undersized shooting guard and I think people aren't quite as excited. That first comp usually draws people in, and in this case I think the Morant comp is way off. Obviously a talented scorer, but I guess I immediately try to think of what team has won a le featuring a high scoring undersized SG lately? Miami with D Wade? Dallas with Jason Terry? It's certainly not impossible.
    Golden State, multiple times…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you get a chance can you acknowledge you were wrong regarding cap space in the Lavine thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you get a chance can you acknowledge you were wrong regarding cap space in the Lavine thread.
    Not my numbers. I told you it was Spotrac. Take their weird methodology up with them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2-3 weeks ago everyone was in love with Sochan or Eason. Those were the guys Spurs SHOULD pick... Now it's Ivey, Banchero, Daniels, you name them... Let's see who will be eveybody's darling in two weeks...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2-3 weeks ago everyone was in love with Sochan or Eason. Those were the guys Spurs SHOULD pick... Now it's Ivey, Banchero, Daniels, you name them... Let's see who will be eveybody's darling in two weeks...
    in two weeks, we'll know the draft order and the combine will be over so hopefully things will get a little more cleared up by then. if the spurs somehow get that 4th spot though, it sure will get crazy in here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not my numbers. I told you it was Spotrac. Take their weird methodology up with them.
    Their methodology was transparent and universally applied. You are smart enough to both read and interpret the fine print, just too stubborn to admit you didn’t.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Their methodology was transparent and universally applied. You are smart enough to both read and interpret the fine print, just too stubborn to admit you didn’t.
    It's actually not transparent at all to leave all cap holds on, and call it Projected Practical cap space. That's actually pretty dumb. A 'Practical' approach would be to assume that you renounce ALL holds, and fill out your roster with minimum salary slots, as needed.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a good chance Sochan or Eason will be available at #9, but I think the recent emphasis on the top 4 picks are timvp's draft profiles and good old-fashioned hopium.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems rather that there are separate camps and I'm not sure it's changed too much. There are those who like Sochan or Eason, those who think taking either one at #9 is taking them too high. The discussion of very top picks is simply fantasizing at this point unless we actually land one of them.

I have expressed interest in Davis at that pick, though I'm more inclined to pick one of the PFs. And I think a good number of people still like Duren there.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think now that we have been picking in the mid-lottery for a few years the rush has worn off and the reality that we really need a top 3 pick to get access to elite potential talent has set in. However, I think some people still expect a #9 lottery pick to equal a bonafide star, which I don’t see as realistic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think now that we have been picking in the mid-lottery for a few years the rush has worn off and the reality that we really need a top 3 pick to get access to elite potential talent has set in. However, I think some people still expect a #9 lottery pick to equal a bonafide star, which I don’t see as realistic.
    Spot on. We are flooded with projects. After this draft it is time to take another approach IMO.

Keldon at 29 was a great pick. Trey Jones in the second round was pretty good. Primo and Vassell late lottery will probably turn out to be fair picks. To me that is a solid bench rotation and nothing more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Gotta disagree. All of Steph's success came as a PG next to a 6'6" SG. Put Steph as a SG next to a 6'1" PG and that team isn't nearly as successful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta disagree. All of Steph's success came as a PG next to a 6'6" SG. Put Steph as a SG next to a 6'1" PG and that team isn't nearly as successful.
    . He scores 25+points, and averages 6.3 assist, about 2/3s of what Dejounte does. At best, he’s a combo guard. Draymond initiates the offense, and averages 7 ASG. He’s their point forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    . He scores 25+points, and averages 6.3 assist, about 2/3s of what Dejounte does. At best, he’s a combo guard. Draymond initiates the offense, and averages 7 ASG. He’s their point forward.
    GSW is a pretty uniquely made and used team.
    Their talent allows them to be very outside the box which creates unique situations that we may never see again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What Draymond does is unique, but Steph is still a PG. I can see other teams using a Steph as a SG-- Sacramento, Portland, Utah, all teams that have tried and failed pairing undersized SGs with PGs-- but the Warriors are too smart to do that.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Sometimes when fans make player comparisons, it’s taken too literally. When I’ve heard and read comparisons to Ja, I can see it. Doesn’t mean Ivey’s game is “exactly” like Ja’s. Doesn’t mean they have the exact same skill set either. Ivey has shown flashes of Ja in his athleticism and ability to attack the basket and finish at the rim. He’s not Ja Morant. He’s not Fox or Russ or any other athletic guard. But there are times his athleticism shows glimpses of Ja’s. You don’t have to take the player comparison so literally.

No player comparison will be exact. And even if a guy has the same exact physical measurements and skill set and college production, that still doesn’t account for personality, character, and mental differences. Player comparisons are used to get an idea of what a prospect might be or maybe just one part of their game that might remind people of another player. It doesn’t have to be exactly the player they compare to.

For me, Jaden Ivey might compare favorably to a guy like Donovan Mitc . But again, player comparisons are not an exact science. It’s just a tool to give a general idea of what a player might be, could be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Kobe was a perfect immitation of MJ. But I guess that’s more of an exception. I don’t see any other player who fathomed their game with only one player. It’s normally a combination of several.

Thread Information