Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They moved to a metro area that was rapidly growing and already five times the size of Minneapolis
    Let's not even discuss weather.
    I don't see a move to Austin.
    I don’t think it would be a move like that either. Rumors abounded about a move 30ish years ago, and nothing happened. I think this community supports the Spurs well, and I don’t foresee any move. The reality for any team, though, is that ultimately ownership has to get a financial return and aren’t likely to leave billions on the table if a much more lucrative opportunity presents itself. That said, I think the Spurs are imbedded in San Antonio and I’d be pretty surprised if the team ever left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People worried about San Antonians footing the tax bill for their beloved and storied franchise, but think Austinites are going to s out for what would end up being much more expensive property?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s a disaster or at least a controversy no matter what they do, but tearing down the Alamodome and starting over in that location (that’s already been cleared of houses) is my best guess of what to do, as it would at least stimulate the downtown economy. No matter what there will be a wake of empty arenas; tearing down the Alamodome at least leaves one less reminder of bad choices and unsavory eminent domain.
    What does the Alamodome even host these days? Trade shows and Monster Truck events? Lol

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does the Alamodome even host these days? Trade shows and Monster Truck events? Lol
    Uhh, Def Leopard reunion shows and youth cheerleader compe ions!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically...and the occasional concert. We have tix for Elton John there in October.

And as shown in another thread, it will be hosting the Final Four in 2025 so they won't be tearing anything down before then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UTSA Football. NCAA Final Fours.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They almost moved in the 1980s when the team had a couple of bad years. Will the fans support a non playoff team for long?

If not, Las Vegas will be a more attractive destination. Las Vegas Raiders and Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They almost moved in the 1980s when the team had a couple of bad years. Will the fans support a non playoff team for long?

If not, Las Vegas will be a more attractive destination. Las Vegas Raiders and Spurs.
    Las Vegas is the fakest, most artificial city on Earth. And given it gets its water from Lake Mead and the Colorado River, likely not long lived.

You ever hear of the Pueblo Indians? They disappeared out of the blue due to a mega drought. And they only numbered in the hundreds.

David Beat Me Up :(
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometime within he next seven years the Spurs are going to ask for a new arena. If they get one, problem solved and they stay another 30 years. If they don’t they start looking for a move.
    I think the nba would be reluctant to allow them to move and the spurs know that. We are the gold standard for making a small market team work. 25 years of success and support. 5 les. The Spurs are the team the nba can hold up and tell all other small markets complaining about the small market issues and big market super teams that you can make it work and be successful In a small market. I think if they let the Spurs move, it’s sorta telling all small markets if the spurs can’t succeed what chance do you. That’s why the spurs are laying the ground work by playing games out of market. So they can say look at how much more support, money, etc we made playing out of market. They are gathering financial and marketing facts to present if necessary. That said if SA oks an arena it’s all a moot issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Noone knows the future and WTF is gonna happen. So, why even talk about it?

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Attendance at Spur games has dipped last year to the 27th in the league. Fan support is starting to wane as the team doesn't make the playoffs for the second year in a row.

The team lacks star talent or marketable players. So coming out of this year's draft with just solid role player ceiling talent won't work.

The spurs have some assets with multiple draft picks and young players to package a deal to move up and get a player with all star potential.

Drafting safe low floor/low ceiling players with limited offensive
    star power like Sochan (more defensive minded players) is not the way to go.

With declining attendance it'll be harder to sell the city on a new stadium.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Attendance at Spur games has dipped last year to the 27th in the league. Fan support is starting to wane as the team doesn't make the playoffs for the second year in a row.

The team lacks star talent or marketable players. So coming out of this year's draft with just solid role player ceiling talent won't work.

The spurs have some assets with multiple draft picks and young players to package a deal to move up and get a player with all star potential.

Drafting safe low floor/low ceiling players with limited offensive
    star power like Sochan (more defensive minded players) is not the way to go.

With declining attendance it'll be harder to sell the city on a new stadium.

No one thought Kawhi was gonna be a Superstar when drafted............and I mean NO ONE!!!!! (except maybe Pop) So that kills another argument. Basically anything can happen to drive the team away, or for them to stay put. Speculating is just that. No one knows what is gonna happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s kinda pathetic we can’t even fill a small arena. We have some of the worst fans , I wouldn’t blame em

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s kinda pathetic we can’t even fill a small arena. We have some of the worst fans , I wouldn’t blame em

First of all the big 3 are gone and if you dont win, fans disappear. Thats just how people are. What is even worse though? I was watching Miami vs Philly this past weekend. In the 2nd qtr there were tons of open seats in the lower bowl in Miami. They have one of the best teams in the NBA right now. Whats up with that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knock down the Bill Millers by the Alamodome and build the new arena there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First of all the big 3 are gone and if you dont win, fans disappear. Thats just how people are. What is even worse though? I was watching Miami vs Philly this past weekend. In the 2nd qtr there were tons of open seats in the lower bowl in Miami. They have one of the best teams in the NBA right now. Whats up with that?
    You been to Miami? So much todo and no local culture that can afford tickets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Miami fans are notorious for showing up late and leaving early. Similar to USC football fans. Miami’s arena is located downtown right on the water by the marina, so it’s hard to get to as is. Then you add the egregious traffic in that town, and it makes for a long drive trying to get there. Plus Miami, like LA, is a pretentious city so a large portion of their fanbase are more concerned with looking good than arriving at the arena on time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Miami fans are notorious for showing up late and leaving early. Similar to USC football fans. Miami’s arena is located downtown right on the water by the marina, so it’s hard to get to as is. Then you add the egregious traffic in that town, and it makes for a long drive trying to get there. Plus Miami, like LA, is a pretentious city so a large portion of their fanbase are more concerned with looking good than arriving at the arena on time.

There is just so much more todo in that area. My ex gfs family had 4 season tickets that would largely go un-used, the game was more of a pre drink than anything else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Numbers are down
    But not that far off from some cities with a lot larger population.
    Phoenix is 19th!

Once again, I think it's highly unlikely they will leave. I think these home away home games is to increase viewership. Do we know when the current local tv contract is up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically...and the occasional concert. We have tix for Elton John there in October.

And as shown in another thread, it will be hosting the Final Four in 2025 so they won't be tearing anything down before then.
    I remember doing a TX A&M vs Army football game as well as State marching band Finals lol. I was thinking though, you keep Alamodome football field shaped for like a dozen events a year Concerts, Monster Truck, UTSA and NCAAF, vs. at least 41 NBA games a year? , I'm obvs not an urban planner or engineer lol but can you renovate it in the football field shape with like a semi circle par ion configuration to morph into a basketball arena shape as needed? Then make ATT Center a full time PBR Stock and Rodeo venue lol I don't know.

Totally just posting now as I'm sure that's bound by cost and bldg codes way out of my element.

Again I just think it's the best site footprint but I hate the facility itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to see the Spurs moving to Austin unless they’re part of some highly profitable privately-funded real estate development project. Public funding would be a non-starter there. Seattle and Vegas are getting expansion teams in a few years to get the NBA to 32 teams.

The Spurs probably would love a new arena downtown where the Alamodome currently stands, or on the Lone Star property in Southtown. Who wouldn’t? But if the AT&T Center is obsolete, then so are at least half of all other NBA arenas.

The future is unknown, and relationships can sour, but I don’t see the Spurs’ relocating as all that big of a risk. Elderly, perennially disagreeable New Englanders may disagree, but from their perspective, all fan bases outside the Northeast are crap and deserve to lose their teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember doing a TX A&M vs Army football game as well as State marching band Finals lol. I was thinking though, you keep Alamodome football field shaped for like a dozen events a year Concerts, Monster Truck, UTSA and NCAAF, vs. at least 41 NBA games a year? , I'm obvs not an urban planner or engineer lol but can you renovate it in the football field shape with like a semi circle par ion configuration to morph into a basketball arena shape as needed? Then make ATT Center a full time PBR Stock and Rodeo venue lol I don't know.

Totally just posting now as I'm sure that's bound by cost and bldg codes way out of my element.

Again I just think it's the best site footprint but I hate the facility itself.
    I agree with you...the location is probably the best they are going to find near downtown San Antonio which lends to a better fan experience.

The whole reason they built the damn thing which was to hopefully draw an NFL team which is never going to happen...but sure, they get to host UTSA Football and some B-list concerts occasionally.

Level the whole thing, build a spankin' new stadium which will still be able to accommodate things like concerts, Final Four, etc. and do it in the name of truly invigorating downtown SA instead of making us drive through a freaking rail yard just outside of the slums to get to games.

Thread Information