Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I've lived in SA the majority of my life but I don't remember it getting this hot (and generally dry) this early this consistently. It feels like July or August and it's only mid May. Last year it didn't get to 100 degrees until late August/early September. This year we've already had several days over 100 and a bucket-load more in the 10 day forecast. Typically May is a wet and stormy month here in Texas. What the heck's going on? Dry line shifting east?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Idk. Someone I talked to predicted this based on Farmer’s Almanac. Said it was going to be hot and dry and challenge records.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Idk. Someone I talked to predicted this based on Farmer’s Almanac. Said it was going to be hot and dry and challenge records.
    So hopefully we'll have a cooler and earlier fall and early winter right? That usually happens after ultra hot late springs/summers.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    10735478[/URL]]So hopefully we'll have a cooler and earlier fall and early winter right? That usually happens after ultra hot late springs/summers.
    I don’t know. He didn’t mention it. I used to pick up a FA every year. Not really for the weather but it’s kind of a cool publication. I hope that’s the case though.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I don’t know. He didn’t mention it. I used to pick up a FA every year. Not really for the weather but it’s kind of a cool publication. I hope that’s the case though.
    I remember in 2013 the summer was HOT HOT HOT (like 107 every day in August/early September) but then by October 5th it was getting down into the 40s and 50s with cool strong north winds and then in early December ice-pocalypse happened in North Texas and shut everything down for a week in EARLY DECEMBER which was finals week and it was an overall very long and cold winter with multiple snow storms and school cancellations in the 2013-14 winter.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Never seen a May this ed up. Occasionally a June like this but we're in line to break records for the whole week coming up.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Never seen a May this ed up. Occasionally a June like this but we're in line to break records for the whole week coming up.
    Yep. Typically May is very wet, muggy, humid, and stormy with lots of "tornado alert / weather alert" days throughout the month (including each of the past two years), with some dry days in the 90s, but nothing like this. The dominant heat-high pressure ridge feature (over 1030 millibars) parked over South / Central Texas is much more typical of July or August than May or even June.

So far we've had 2 thunderstorms this spring, both at night and neither of which the severe / hail / tornado risk variety.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Looks like a less hot but stormy next 5 days!

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Just hope no tornadoes. Can't believe Gaylord, Michigan (that's far north central lower peninsula) got an F4 yesterday. Very rare.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The first half or so if that was fantastic.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Another ty thing about this heat is its corresponding with some really nasty smog thanks to ers in Mexico burning their fields before the growing season. Last few days San Antonio looks like how I remember LA being 20-25 years ago. doesn't usually bother me too much (only cedar pollen really s with me most years) but it probably would a lot more often if those burns were combined with August weather like this May has seen.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Another ty thing about this heat is its corresponding with some really nasty smog thanks to ers in Mexico burning their fields before the growing season. Last few days San Antonio looks like how I remember LA being 20-25 years ago. doesn't usually bother me too much (only cedar pollen really s with me most years) but it probably would a lot more often if those burns were combined with August weather like this May has seen.
    I guess the good news is there is a LOT of rain in the forecast between now and the 25th.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I guess the good news is there is a LOT of rain in the forecast between now and the 25th.
    We need it.
    Just wait till August and Sept.
    We are gonna be on all kinds of water restrictions.

And this stuff is absolutely ty for outdoor exercise. Even the biking has been harder. 93 degrees with a heat index of 101...on Friday. Honestly it felt a whole lot worse than that. A day or so before it was 100 degrees with a heat index of 96. That was doable. This heat index stuff seems like its for people just walking. I think the humidity plays a much larger role than is calculated when exercising. You just cant get rid of the heat easily, even when riding with a good amount of wind. When the humidity is low at least you can soak yourself at each water station and you get bone dry, but at least stay cooler between water stops.

The woman's marathon in the China Olympics started an hour earlier because it was so humid. The girls from Eastern Africa (one the world record holder) got destroyed in the heat. East Africa only had 3 in the top 10. They train at al ude in low humidity, so they could not dominate the entire field because the humidity was so bad and led to extraordinarily slow times. an American won the bronze!

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    We need it.
    Just wait till August and Sept.
    We are gonna be on all kinds of water restrictions.

And this stuff is absolutely ty for outdoor exercise. Even the biking has been harder. 93 degrees with a heat index of 101...on Friday. Honestly it felt a whole lot worse than that. A day or so before it was 100 degrees with a heat index of 96. That was doable. This heat index stuff seems like its for people just walking. I think the humidity plays a much larger role than is calculated when exercising. You just cant get rid of the heat easily, even when riding with a good amount of wind. When the humidity is low at least you can soak yourself at each water station and you get bone dry, but at least stay cooler between water stops.

The woman's marathon in the China Olympics started an hour earlier because it was so humid. The girls from Eastern Africa (one the world record holder) got destroyed in the heat. East Africa only had 3 in the top 10. They train at al ude in low humidity, so they could not dominate the entire field because the humidity was so bad and led to extraordinarily slow times. an American won the bronze!
    Good analysis.

Yeah, I hate the humidity too. The whole Texas to Florida belt has it the worst. People will say Arizona but at least it's the dry heat. Problem is all the places in the USA that aren't ultra humid are either ultra expensive or bone cold or both.

Water and power restrictions are already going to be a problem, drought or no drought, but the drought doesn't help things. My mom doesn't take heat well and is afraid she will die if there are blackouts or brownouts this summer (she's a teacher so she stays home all summer). CPS and SAWS bills per unit have risen rapidly since early 2021.

One thing people can do to help mitigate the problem is stop doing sprinklers on their lawns. I'll never understand the dumb obsession some people in neighborhoods have over having the greenest healthiest grass on the street.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Good analysis.

Yeah, I hate the humidity too. The whole Texas to Florida belt has it the worst. People will say Arizona but at least it's the dry heat. Problem is all the places in the USA that aren't ultra humid are either ultra expensive or bone cold or both.

Water and power restrictions are already going to be a problem, drought or no drought, but the drought doesn't help things. My mom doesn't take heat well and is afraid she will die if there are blackouts or brownouts this summer (she's a teacher so she stays home all summer). CPS and SAWS bills per unit have risen rapidly since early 2021.

One thing people can do to help mitigate the problem is stop doing sprinklers on their lawns. I'll never understand the dumb obsession some people in neighborhoods have over having the greenest healthiest grass on the street.
    We have a dog and grass is good for them staying cleaner if they come in the house.
    If your backyard is all dirt it’s a mess. Plus it’s fun chasing a dog around on grass.
    We are so close to getting a good brief downpour tonight. Right there… Please…

But I get ya. The grass goes if the restrictions make it happen.
    Its on the brink. Getting dry and krinkly

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    We have a dog and grass is good for them staying cleaner if they come in the house.
    If your backyard is all dirt it’s a mess. Plus it’s fun chasing a dog around on grass.

I just let native clover that doesn't need water take over my yard years ago. My dog's fine with them. Grass is stupid IMO. Only thing I water is stuff I plant to eat, and always by hand.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green

The squall just passed me on the Medina/Bexar line a little bit back. Got downpour and thunder but no hail and now it's just occasional thunder rumbles but the rain is completely gone.

As for dogs... I'm just not a fan. The neighbors' dogs always pissed me off because they'd always get in my yard and take a piss or a dump and their y neighbors would always take their side and I'd have to keep reminding them of the law that in the state of Texas that is that animals are strict liability and I can take them to court if they ever damage my property. That I'm allowed to shoot a trespassing animal. neighbors' dogs tbh. If you want to get dogs or cattle or horses get your own multi acre lot and leave everyone else alone.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I just let native clover that doesn't need water take over my yard years ago. My dog's fine with them. Grass is stupid IMO. Only thing I water is stuff I plant to eat, and always by hand.
    I remember that , it was big from about 2013-2018 but then the St Augustine crabgrass took the yard back over. I hate that . Those runners/stolons are the ugliest looking damn things.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The good news is your Heat pics came back from your last road trip hook ups.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Wow, after this coming week in San Antonio everything in the next 15 days after that is forecast to be 100 and above, with most days reaching 102-104 degrees. And to think, this is only the first half of June

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Ugh it's like ing late July already and we're still almost a month from the actual start of summer

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Ugh it's like ing late July already and we're still almost a month from the actual start of summer
    Yep. Going to Michigan at the end of this upcoming week to escape the heat. Also to go to court

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Are you talking about horseherb?

That's what I have in the shaded parts of the front and back of my house. Looks nice when it rains and survives any droughts. Idk why people try to kill it off so they can have a high maintenance St Augustine lawn.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Are you talking about horseherb?

That's what I have in the shaded parts of the front and back of my house. Looks nice when it rains and survives any droughts. Idk why people try to kill it off so they can have a high maintenance St Augustine lawn.
    Yeah that's it, thought it was clover but just took a closer look when I took my dog out to piss and it's exactly that. Grows great in areas that only get shade a few hours a day too.

Thread Information