Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The planned Obama Presidential Center in Chicago is being privately funded, but on Friday city officials estimated how much taxpayers will pay for roadwork and other construction around the center: $175 million.

It was the first time city officials put a specific dollar figure on the expected cost to the public, the Chicago Tribune reported.

“These proposed investments are intended to make the (center) and surrounding Jackson Park a world-class destination on par with Chicago’s Museum Campus,” the city’s Department of Transportation (CDOT) told the newspaper, in a statement accompanying the figures.

The planned taxpayer-funded work would include widening portions of some surrounding streets and constructing four or five new underpasses, the report said.

City officials said they intended to pursue “all potential options” for the project, including allocations from the state of Illinois.

The information was made public ahead of a scheduled meeting Tuesday, at which representatives from the Obama Foundation, a nonprofit leading the center’s construction, is expected to detail its plans, the report said.

CDOT spokesman Michael Claffey told the Tribune that presidential libraries often get state financing for nearby infrastructure. The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield, Ill., received $100 million in such funding, he said.

However, in January, more than 100 University of Chicago professors and faculty members signed a letter saying that they and a wide range of neighborhood and activist groups agreed that “the Obama Center as currently planned will not provide the promised development or economic benefits to the neighborhoods” on the South Side of Chicago.

They noted that because the center will be located near an existing museum and the University of Chicago, there will be no land to start new businesses or restaurants nearby.

The Tribune reported Thursday that the project was revealing race and class differences between its supporters and opponents, with one African-American woman telling the paper she has bene accused of being anti-black.

“All I wanted to do was make sure my kids could play with no garage in their park,” Bronwyn Nichols Lodato told the paper. “I have three young children and we live in a condo and the Midway is our yard. My story is simply, how can we keep the park so our kids could play there?”

In January, the former president said in a video statement that he has been "pretty hands-on" with the project and hoped it could help revitalize the neighborhood.

“Mic e and I want this center to be more than just a building,” Obama said. “We want to create an economic engine for the South Side of Chicago, a cultural attraction that showcases the South Side to the rest of the world.”

The center is scheduled to open in 2021.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...5m-report.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oligarchy tax cut deficit $1.5T and 10Ks ing DEAD from lack health care and new pollution

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    White Chris still triggered.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And this ladies and gentlemen are why Democrats will always love taxes. It all goes to their personal piggy banks.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White Chris still triggered.
    White Chump still cucked.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    And this ladies and gentlemen are why Democrats will always love taxes. It all goes to their personal piggy banks.
    Um, what money is going into their personal piggy banks here?

White Chump still cucked.
    White Jimmerfan still not knowing how to use words.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um, what money is going into their personal piggy banks here?
    Yea, it really takes $175 million to build a few ancillary improvements.
    Blue-pilled Chump.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somehow, despite spending hours a day practicing the craft, you guys have actually gotten worse at faking outrage.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somehow, despite spending hours a day practicing the craft, you guys have actually gotten worse at faking outrage.
    How many wasted millions warrant "outrage"?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yea, it really takes $175 million to build a few ancillary improvements.
    Blue-pilled Chump.
    You didn't answer the question.

What money is going into their personal piggy banks here?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You didn't answer the question.

What money is going into their personal piggy banks here?
    I did answer the crux of the question. That said, I know what you're doing. You want to get lost in the weeds. You should seriously get a life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did answer the crux of the question. That said, I know what you're doing. You want to get lost in the weeds. You should seriously get a life.
    you didnt answer anything.

you made the claim that it goes into their piggybanks and waived the white flag when asked to expand on that

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I did answer the crux of the question.
    No. You did not.

What money is going into their personal piggy banks here as you claimed?

It's your claim. Prove it.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you didnt answer anything.

you made the claim that it goes into their piggybanks and waived the white flag when asked to expand on that
    Okay, you tell me what $175 million gets spent on that's so worth it. I'm not the one being a child and pretending I don't know how these things go. The exact persons enriching themselves are of no consequence to me at this time.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. You did not.

What money is going into their personal piggy banks here as you claimed?

It's your claim. Prove it.
    I'm telling you how works. Accept it / don't accept it. Not my problem either way.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'm telling you how works. Accept it / don't accept it. Not my problem either way.
    All you have to tell me is what money is going into their personal piggy banks.

Tell everyone how works.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Okay, you tell me what $175 million gets spent on that's so worth it. I'm not the one being a child and pretending I don't know how these things go. The exact persons enriching themselves are of no consequence to me at this time.
    You just admitted you've been talking out of your ass this whole time.

Considering the cost of road improvements around other projects and the general costs of construction in urban areas, it doesn't seem terribly out of bounds tbh.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All you have to tell me is what money is going into their personal piggy banks.

Tell everyone how works.
    I told you the way of the world. You taking an extra strength blue pill is not my problem.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You just admitted you've been talking out of your ass this whole time.

Considering the cost of road improvements around other projects and the general costs of construction in urban areas, it doesn't seem terribly out of bounds tbh.
    I see. Well, seeing as now you are making a "claim" now, go ahead and itemize those costs and let's see what they're getting for the $175 million.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I told you the way of the world. You taking an extra strength blue pill is not my problem.
    You just made something up then yourself when you got called on it.

I see. Well, seeing as now you are making a "claim" now, go ahead and itemize those costs and let's see what they're getting for the $175 million.
    I'm going to compare it to a larger construction project that came to my mind, the Las Vegas NFL stadium off an existing roadway.

A 2016 study by CH2M estimated the costs for the improvements to be $899 million
    https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/ma...-turns-to-i-1/

So, considering differences in scale and location -- not completely unreasonable.

If you think it should cost less, you are free to itemize everything in the project and make sure to say which money is going into personal piggy banks.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You just made something up then yourself when you got called on it.

I'm going to compare it to a larger construction project that came to my mind, the Las Vegas NFL stadium off an existing roadway.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/ma...-turns-to-i-1/

So, considering differences in scale and location -- not completely unreasonable.

If you think it should cost less, you are free to itemize everything in the project and make sure to say which money is going into personal piggy banks.
    Funny you should bring up something in which the municipality spends a couple billion dollars and gets no ownership. You get how this works yet? You sniffing it yet? Too many blue pills?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Funny you should bring up something in which the municipality spends a couple billion dollars and gets no ownership. You get how this works yet? You sniffing it yet? Too many blue pills?
    Yeah, you're changing the subject again.

Personal piggy banks for the presidential library road improvements, remember?

Tell us all how that works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for them

American heroes tbh should be statues and plaques of them everywhere

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for them

American heroes tbh should be statues and plaques of them everywhere
    Yea, stealing all those billions in the bailout, creating ISIS, etc. Let's build him statues plaques all over.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    too many chem trails

Thread Information