My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 regular season games in Mexico two likely in Austin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the article:

Wolff added the team has a non-relocation agreement that goes through the 2031–2032 season under penalties of $84M-130M, depending on the year.”

Spurs will stay in San Antonio for at least 10 more years.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are not long for San Antonio.

David Beat Me Up :(
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve never been concerned with them relocating. This article, while they can’t relocate for 10 years, is concerning. 4 games can quickly become 8, 8 becomes 12. Then when they try to relocate they would actually have financials to present to the nba as to why it makes financial sense to relocate. Look nba we play 10 games a year in Austin or Monterrey, sell x amount of tickets more and make $x in increased revenue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HEB Center or Erwin (while it exists) could work for Austin...but San Marcos? Where the are they gonna play there, the local Y?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, all this talk of the Spurs moving is silly. People have been saying the same thing for 20 years, they are under contract to stay in SA for the next 10 years and I seriously doubt that anyone is trying to uproot one of the most well established franchises in the NBA.

If Sacramento or Oklahoma City still has a team, then the Spurs don't have much to worry about. NBA will expand before the Spurs move, and they sure as aren't moving to Austin because nobody really cares about NBA up here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HEB Center or Erwin (while it exists) could work for Austin...but San Marcos? Where the are they gonna play there, the local Y?
    Outlet mall has a fair size parking lot!

That breakaway fee is comforting but 100mm might not mean much to new ownership. This team needs to stay tightly held, especially during these down years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve never been concerned with them relocating. This article, while they can’t relocate for 10 years, is concerning. 4 games can quickly become 8, 8 becomes 12. Then when they try to relocate they would actually have financials to present to the nba as to why it makes financial sense to relocate. Look nba we play 10 games a year in Austin or Monterrey, sell x amount of tickets more and make $x in increased revenue.
    IMO, what they’re doing is forward thinking. They literally plan to dominate the Texas market. The same cannot be said about Houston or Dallas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, all this talk of the Spurs moving is silly. People have been saying the same thing for 20 years, they are under contract to stay in SA for the next 10 years and I seriously doubt that anyone is trying to uproot one of the most well established franchises in the NBA.
    Exactly! This is why the Giants are Dodgers are still in New York!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree its forward thinking. But forward thinking about, however small or remote, relocation. They know it would be hard, with the Spurs history, to relocate. They are setting the stage and getting their financials in order to show the need if necessary.

Its all going to come down to a new arena. In 7 years or so, the Spurs are going to say they need a new arena, in a new better location, to stay compe ive. If they get it relocation won't be an issue. If they don't, then there will be issues.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the county were smart they would only sign off if the spurs extend the non relocation deal. Ok its to expand your footprint and has nothing to do with possible relocation add 5 years to the non relocation agreement.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outlet mall has a fair size parking lot!

That breakaway fee is comforting but 100mm might not mean much to new ownership. This team needs to stay tightly held, especially during these down years.
    Yeah if they can get a $1 billion+ taxpayer funded stadium in Austin or Seattle what's an $84 million relocation fee going to matter? San Antonio isn't going to build them another stadium. Only got the AT&T Center because the team was coming off a le. They had a far better arena plan in 98 that went up in flames when voters shot it down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree its forward thinking. But forward thinking about, however small or remote, relocation. They know it would be hard, with the Spurs history, to relocate. They are setting the stage and getting their financials in order to show the need if necessary.

Its all going to come down to a new arena. In 7 years or so, the Spurs are going to say they need a new arena, in a new better location, to stay compe ive. If they get it relocation won't be an issue. If they don't, then there will be issues.
    I'd be floored if it wasn't within the next 4 or 5 years that they start begging for a new arena.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe the voters shot down the 98 plan. It required tax cuts or bonds or something that the municipality or school district needed to approve before it got to the voters. They shot down the tax breaks which lead to the arena plan falling apart before it got to voters. The only plan that got before voters was the ATT center which passed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Move the team to Austin in 10 years when the lease is up tbh. Make it a FA destination.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If Sacramento or Oklahoma City still has a team, then the Spurs don't have much to worry about. NBA will expand before the Spurs move, and they sure as aren't moving to Austin because nobody really cares about NBA up here.
    Um, Oklahoma City has a team because Clay Bennett broke the Key Arena lease.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 regular season games in Mexico two likely in Austin
    If true, this is not a good sign.

The Kansas City Kings flirted with being the Kansas City-Omaha Kings before they became the Sacramento Kings.

The Dallas Chaparrals flirted with being the Texas Chaparrals (playing games in Lubbock) before they (blissfully) became the San Antonio Spurs.

It's not panic time, but this not a good sign.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mexico is part of the league's international ambitions. But Austin? That's not a home game. The taxpayers paid for that arena for the benefits that home games will supposedly bring. This is a good deal for the league, a good deal for the Spurs to test the relocation waters, but a lousy thing for SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to mention playing games regularly in other markets leads to ownership talking to / making deals with other sponsors, talking to local politicians, dealing with potential investors. How this can viewed as anything but bad news escapes me.

I don't think they are actively trying to move. I think they see an arena fight on the horizon and are beginning to set an exit strategy if they lose that fight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It begins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the article:

Wolff added the team has a non-relocation agreement that goes through the 2031–2032 season under penalties of $84M-130M, depending on the year.”

Spurs will stay in San Antonio for at least 10 more years.
    Michael Dell would pay those penalties like throwing a penny in a Salvation Army bucket if it meant he could move the team to Austin tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Move the team to Austin in 10 years when the lease is up tbh. Make it a FA destination.

As an outsider myself Austin is a cool city I guess if you are a young professional making 100k a year. It’s hardly a FA destination for the NBA though.

What’s the big difference between Austin and San Antonio? College chicks? Hipster/tech culture?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As an outsider myself Austin is a cool city I guess if you are a young professional making 100k a year. It’s hardly a FA destination for the NBA.

What’s the big difference between Austin and San Antonio? College chicks? Hipster/tech culture?
    Much more in the way of business opportunities tbh.

Thread Information