Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wasn't going to play much right away. If Calipari wanted him to play he would have played. Sharpe was on the team and he was the coach. It's not like Sharpe refused to play contrary to what Calipari wanted.

Calipari backed off on playing him stating he wasn't ready yet to get the minutes.

Calipari was shooting for next year but when talk was out there he was going to get drafted high he supported him entering the draft.
    Are you Sharpe's agent? You expressed confidence a few pages ago that he wouldn't be a bust. What is this based on? Some HS tape? His measurables? What a microscopically thin layer of ice to base a top 5 pick on. Maybe he'll turn out a superstar, but the odds for him to be a big flaming zero in the NBA are significantly greater than zero.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's only dumb if your picks are dumb, and that is valid whether it's one, two or three rookies. If there is talent available, what is dumb is to let them go because of some arbitrary mental blockage that prevents you to do so just because you didn't do it before. If anyone thinks Wieskamp, KBD or Landale should prevent us from picking up talent (provided it's available), they're out of their minds.
    I don't think the argument is that you don't take 4 rookies because you have Wieskamp, KBD or Landale. It's that you don't take 4 rookies because you sub-optimize your odds at turning any one of those 4 into premier players. It's one thing to send some 2nd rounders who you don't have high hopes for to the G-League to develop. It's another to have 3 first rounders who need the attention of the Spurs staff to develop the way you want. You can send 20 and 25 to the G-League to get the typical Spurs treatment, but I think the argument is you are better punting those picks down the road (maybe they become better picks) when you have a better chance at giving the FRPs the full attention they need.

With that said, I don't think two FRPs is out of the question, but I don't think it's wise to pick all 3. It's just going to result in an amplification of the typical Spurs fan frustration of why these guys aren't on the main squad. But, since we'll likely be frustrated anyway... maybe it doesn't actually matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not. I just don't see the special skills.

What does he have that makes you think he's going to be so good? He's young? It's going to take more than that.

I don't see the extreme athleticism or fire in his game, plays timid, or quick burst in his first step, or a quick release on his shot.

It's going to be a risk that didn't pan out well.

i think it's a lot to ask to see all those attributes at wt 18? 19? I'm in no way saying he is Kobe but Kobe took a beating his first year and God rest his soul dare I say they thought he looked awful en led and arrogant had trouble getting into games. What Kobe had though is the killer instinct the killer instinct which is why he was a generational talent. Primo deserves to develop let's see how he looks year two and three will tell all I believe even though he will still be young he we'll be seasoned enough by then.

as far as skills I see a good shot the ability to blow by you but like harden blow by where you wonder how he did but yet still did it. I see that euro step at such a young age. Work ethic and mind set will mean everything for him some players have one not the other if he can commit to wanting to be great I believe sky's the limit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Putting faith into the Rockets draft selections is laughable when they haven’t made a good pick for the last decade. Not to mention they’ve passed up guys like Kawhi to draft Marcus Morris, Draymond and Khris to draft Royce White and Lamb instead. Theyve done nothing to show they can draft players and keep them for majority on their careers. Sure, they can get lucky after all this time but Spurstalk’s habit of propping up other team’s talent year after year only for to turn around and admit a few years later that that same ty team is still ty, but sometimes it’s “ThEYrE piCkInG tOp 5 ThiS yEaR!! greAt FuTurE!” for five consecutive years. When the is that great future happening? Ten years later? Get the out of here.

oh and this infatuation with Sengun who likely won’t turn into anything more than an average big has to stop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Banchero is one ugly dude.
    SUS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yahoo! | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Zak's Draft 1.0
    Zak Hanshew, May 24, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: A.J. Griffin | Duke | Forward | Freshman | 6’6, 220

Griffin moves well without the ball, making the right cuts to get to the basket or taking advantage of catch-and-shoot opportunities. He used his size and athleticism to fight for rebounds and finish powerfully at the rim at Duke last season and shot a blistering 44.7% from beyond the arc. Griffin has the skills to finish as a top-5 player in this draft class, and the Spurs get a steal at No. 9. San Antonio isn’t a great fantasy landing spot thanks to typically slow development, but Griffin could operate well alongside Dejounte Murray if given the opportunity.
    0. San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors): Nikola Jovic | Serbia | Forward | International | 6’10, 205

Right off the bat, let’s clear things up. This is not the NBA’s 2020-21 MVP, but Jovic does have a similar skill set as a point big. He’s usually popping a three and making shots in a variety of ways, but he’s not a pass-first guy despite his excellent ability to find teammates. I’d love to project a Jovic/Jokic pairing and mock him to Denver, but I don’t think the Spurs will let him slip past them, especially with a proven track record of developing international players. Jovic might need some time to develop, so we can pump the breaks on a fantasy-relevant rookie season and leave him to dynasty leagues.
    25. San Antonio Spurs: Christian Koloko | Arizona | Center | Junior | 7'0, 221

At 7’0, 221, Koloko has a size advantage on most opponents, and that should translate well to the NBA. He’s typically in a good position to grab long rebounds, he’s a strong shot-blocker and he hits free throws at a high clip. After passing on a center with their first pick, the Spurs grab Koloko with a little bit of a reach and add some important big-man depth behind Jakob Poeltl. Jock Landale and Drew Eubanks (pre-trade) were useful streamers when Poeltl missed time last season, and Koloko could be too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SI Fan Nation | 2022 NBA Mock Draft 1.0 - Post-Combine Edition
    Brett Siegel, 16 hours ago, AKA 24 May 2022

#9 San Antonio Spurs - Bennedict Mathurin (Arizona, Sop re)

The San Antonio Spurs are always a major question mark in the draft, as you never know what to expect from them. Last year, they shocked everyone by taking Joshua Primo, the youngest player in the draft with one of the biggest upsides on the offensive-end of the floor.

Still looking to find their iden y and form a long-term, youthful core, San Antonio could be obligated to go after another high-potential guy like Bennedict Mathurin on the wing to pair with Dejounte Murray and Keldon Johnson.

Being able to play off another high-motor talent like Murray, Mathurin could really evolve as a primary scoring option on the wing for the Spurs and at 20-years-old, he still has plenty of room for growth on both ends of the floor. A strong three-point shooter with a high understanding for the game offensively, Bennedict Mathurin is a player San Antonio has been linked to in the pre-draft process and he would fill a void they currently have out on the wing. Mathurin is the best available talent on the board here for the Spurs in this scenario.
    #20 San Antonio Spurs - F Nikola Jovic (Serbia)

Having three first-round picks this year, it is hard to believe that the Spurs will look to utilize all three without at least trying to move up and down the draft board. No matter who they take in the lottery, San Antonio still has multiple needs on their roster and they could look to address the same position twice.

Nikola Jovic is arguably the best international prospect in this draft class and he is a versatile forward that can do a little bit of everything on the floor. Pick-and-roll sets are where Jovic flourishes on the court and he is just a very smart player with the ball in his hands. San Antonio has found a lot of success with international prospects in the past and being a 6-10 forward, Jovic has a lot of potential to grow into a two-way factor for any team that takes a chance on him.
    #25 San Antonio Spurs - C Walker Kessler (Auburn, Sop re)

With Mathurin and Jovic already heading to San Antonio in this mock draft, the Spurs will likely go ahead and draft for value with their third first-round pick that will almost definitely be moved. They could look to add backcourt depth, but having Joshua Primo and Tre Jones, it likely makes more sense to take one of the bigs that has fallen a little bit.

Being a strong looking shot-blocker that also has great footwork around the rim offensively, Walker Kessler is definitely an intriguing center prospect for the Spurs to add not only for depth behind Jakob Poeltl, but possibly as his replacement in the near future. As reported by HoopsHype’s Michael Scotto this season, the Spurs did hold some trade discussion centered around Poeltl, so it is possible he could be on the move at some point during the 2022-23 season.
    #38 San Antonio Spurs - G Jean Montero (Overtime Elite)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree Sharpe would be a risk, but he possesses elite, top-5 pick talent, and as a rebuilding team, we need as much of that as we can get. If he falls to #9, and assuming somebody who’s a better fit isn’t available (i.e. Murray), he would be a no-brainer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lines | 2022 NBA Mock Draft
    Lance Cartelli, May 24, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: Bennedict Mathurin, Wing, Arizona

20. San Antonio Spurs (via Toronto Raptors): Blake Wesley, Wing, Notre Dame

25. San Antonio Spurs (via Boston Celtics): Walker Kessler, Big, Auburn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New Update.uk | NBA Mock Draft 2022: Projections for Prospects with Most Star Potential
    Adam D'Angelo, May 24, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: Jalen Duren, C, Memphis

20. San Antonio Spurs (via TOR): Ousmane Dieng, SG/SF, New Zealand Breakers

25. San Antonio Spurs (via BOS): Blake Wesley, SG, Notre Dame

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Belly Up Sports | Aman's NBA Mock Lottery Draft
    Parker Ainsworth, May 25, 2022

NBA Draft Pick 9. San Antonio Spurs: Center, Jalen Duren (Memphis, Freshman)

NBA Draft hopeful Jalen Duren

The San Antonio Spurs have not made the playoffs in four years, and as Gregg Popovich’s coaching career enters its final years, they hope to make one last run. After Kawhi Leonard was traded to the Raptors, Spurs basketball has hit a dead end. There hasn’t been much production and it hasn’t been fun to watch. The Spurs have an overall young roster, and there’s plenty of potential for some of their players. This year, guard Dejounte Murray was the runner-up for the Most Improved Player award as he emerged as an all-star guard. The Spurs are lacking a center as they only have two on the roster, and Jalen Duren could work his way to have a starting role for the Spurs.

Jalen Duren plays like a traditional center, which is what the Spurs currently lack. Duren is an explosive shot-blocker and defender in general. He does a phenomenal job of protecting the paint, and he keeps up with guards on the perimeter when he needs to. He is also a spectacular interior scorer as he was a lob threat at Memphis, and he continued to get putbacks off the numerous offensive rebounds that he collected. Surprisingly, Duren is a solid passer as well. Whether it’s from the perimeter or in the paint, Duren was able to find his teammates from all around the court.

The main thing Jalen Duren struggles with his shooting. Duren struggled at the free-throw line as he made only 63% of his free throws. Players who are incapable of hitting free throws have been penalized in the NBA as they are often taken out of the game during crunch time. Duren will need to work on his shooting to round his offensive ability. If he can improve his shooting, he has the potential to be a top center in the league.

Player comparison: Slightly larger Robert Williams

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I definitely don't want to draft Walker Kessler at 25. But, I'm still intrigued by David Roddy at #25, so unfortunately, let's talk about him some more.

In depth scouting analysis: https://zonahoops.com/2022/03/08/dav...outing-report/

Highly skilled yet overweight, Ruben-esque players are not the worst projects, especially with a later pick, and especially when they shoot 44% from three, in my opinion.

Some positives: Amazing footwork. Beautiful shooting stroke. Insanely efficient scorer in a wide variety of situations. Solid passer. Great hands. Gets a good amount of steals and blocks. Has progressed every year, with his 3P% going from 19% his freshman year to 44% his junior year at 6.5/100 possessions.

Some negatives: Most of what he does won't translate because he won't be given the same high usage rate, especially not in the low to mid post in the NBA. Defending in space is going to be the overwhelming factor that will affect his ability to stay on the floor.

Some random tidbits: Was an all around athlete in High School in MN. He won state in track and field with the discuss. Was an All State quarterback in football while also All State in basketball.

In summary, you have a highly skilled player with a very high body mass index. It's concerning, but the obvious move is to get him in a pro conditioning program and get him to lose weight. If he could lose 30 pounds, he would still be a bruiser but with increased quickness. Typically, it's the opposite issue--trying to bulk up some 18-year old toothpick; Osmane Dieng comes to mind. I argue it's better to be a fat guy with skills then a skinny guy with mostly athleticism and few skills (not talking about Dieng specifically here). Is San Antonio a good place to lose weight? Obviously not. But we're talking about the 25th pick here, sort of like looking for the next Kyle Anderson type, someone with skills but questions about their physical traits.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I definitely don't want to draft Walker Kessler at 25. But, I'm still intrigued by David Roddy at #25, so unfortunately, let's talk about him some more.

In depth scouting analysis: https://zonahoops.com/2022/03/08/dav...outing-report/

Highly skilled yet overweight, Ruben-esque players are not the worst projects, especially with a later pick, and especially when they shoot 44% from three, in my opinion.

Some positives: Amazing footwork. Beautiful shooting stroke. Insanely efficient scorer in a wide variety of situations. Solid passer. Great hands. Gets a good amount of steals and blocks. Has progressed every year, with his 3P% going from 19% his freshman year to 44% his junior year at 6.5/100 possessions.

Some negatives: Most of what he does won't translate because he won't be given the same high usage rate, especially not in the low to mid post in the NBA. Defending in space is going to be the overwhelming factor that will affect his ability to stay on the floor.

Some random tidbits: Was an all around athlete in High School in MN. He won state in track and field with the discuss. Was an All State quarterback in football while also All State in basketball.

In summary, you have a highly skilled player with a very high body mass index. It's concerning, but the obvious move is to get him in a pro conditioning program and get him to lose weight. If he could lose 30 pounds, he would still be a bruiser but with increased quickness. Typically, it's the opposite issue--trying to bulk up some 18-year old toothpick; Osmane Dieng comes to mind. I argue it's better to be a fat guy with skills then a skinny guy with mostly athleticism and few skills (not talking about Dieng specifically here). Is San Antonio a good place to lose weight? Obviously not. But we're talking about the 25th pick here, sort of like looking for the next Kyle Anderson type, someone with skills but questions about their physical traits.
    I never thought I'd seen a basketball player described as rubenesque.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Putting faith into the Rockets draft selections is laughable when they haven’t made a good pick for the last decade. Not to mention they’ve passed up guys like Kawhi to draft Marcus Morris, Draymond and Khris to draft Royce White and Lamb instead. Theyve done nothing to show they can draft players and keep them for majority on their careers. Sure, they can get lucky after all this time but Spurstalk’s habit of propping up other team’s talent year after year only for to turn around and admit a few years later that that same ty team is still ty, but sometimes it’s “ThEYrE piCkInG tOp 5 ThiS yEaR!! greAt FuTurE!” for five consecutive years. When the is that great future happening? Ten years later? Get the out of here.

oh and this infatuation with Sengun who likely won’t turn into anything more than an average big has to stop.
    They haven’t won any championships but the Rockets have been as steady of a franchise as you could ask for the past 2 decades. You don’t really follow them so you don’t know, but they made the playoffs basically every year the past decade before they traded Harden. And even before that they only had like 4 years of not making the playoffs. You are skewed by the greatness of Tim Duncan and that’s ok. Take pride in the 5th greatest player of all time. I know I do. But we don’t have him anymore and the Rockets are a good goal of what we should strive to become as a franchise.

They also got a brand new GM so bashing Morey who is no longer their GM seems kinda weird. It would be like me bashing Pop for Bob Hill not double teaming Hakeem. Different coach.

Also unlike what Bill Simmons says, Green is looking like a good pick. He has really grown as a player and looks like an NBA player which is great for a rookie. Does he improve? Idk. Their new ownership is probably the worst in the league of not top 5. But he could definitely make the step as an all star in a few years. Also Sengun looks pretty good too. He’s not an all star but Rocket fans don’t have to say well wait 2 years and then watch out how my 1st round pick might become the 7th best player on our team. They need to get rid of Christian Wood tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    christian wood is doing his best johnathon simmons impression.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My dream:

9. Bennedict Mathurin

20. Mark Williams

25. Nikola Jovic

38. Trade down to Minnesota for 40 and 50

40. Patrick Baldwin Jr.

50. Bryson Williams

What the Spurs will probably do:

9. Blake Wesley

20. Ismael Kamagate

25. Marcus Sasser

38. Yannik Nzosa

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs ended last season with seven players who were rookies or sop res, and that's not counting Ca , who had 109 total minutes of NBA playing time the two previous seasons. But last year was an exception, right? No. The Spurs went into the season before with six rookies and sop res, which isn't counting Eubanks and his 45 games of playing time. The season before? Six.

The assumption that the Spurs would trade a first so they wouldn't compete with ing Wieskamp is lunacy. Could I see the Spurs stashing a pick or wanting their second-rounder to sign a two-way contract? Yes. Do I think the Spurs want to sign Wieskamp and the other two-way/former two-way players at least for camp? Yes. But do I think that's going to stop the Spurs from taking four rookies? Not at all. The Spurs need to find talent, not get stuck on any youngster who's worn a Spurs jersey recently. They have the room on their roster for six young players, and with their possible desire to use cap space, they might need young cheap players locked into long-term deals. There are four spots on the team that could use a developmental prospect. They don't have to address every spot right now, but they shouldn't hesitate to do so if there's a guy they like at their pick.

Murray, Jones
    Primo, Richardson
    Johnson, McDermott, Langford
    Bates-Diop, Landale
    Poeltl, Collins

That's the depth chart right now. That's 11/17 spots taken, with multiple occupied by guys who could easily be off the team. There are several potential RFAs on that list, but it's not a guarantee that any of them return, especially in lieu of a first-round pick at their position.
    you're right but I precisely don't see the spurs continuing down that road. If they use their cap and chase a marquee FA, while drafting a solid player at 9, they'll try to build a compe ive with Murray being 26 now. So, I don't see them entering next season with 6 or 7 rookies/sop res.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're right but I precisely don't see the spurs continuing down that road. If they use their cap and chase a marquee FA, while drafting a solid player at 9, they'll try to build a compe ive with Murray being 26 now. So, I don't see them entering next season with 6 or 7 rookies/sop res.
    There is space for both. And the alternative to having six or seven guys with one year or less of experience isn't dumping firsts. It's getting rid of the chaff on the roster like Wieskamp, Landale and Ca . If you have three firsts, it's a huge opportunity to fill your third-string with legit NBA prospects. The Spurs haven't had that since 2013. They need a massive infusion of talent and should take advantage of the opportunity to get it.

Plus, the Spurs could stand to trade some of their middle prospects anyway. Even guys like Johnson, Vassell and Primo are much easier to trade if the Spurs have young guys ready to fill in, and I imagine the Spurs can make a real run in the trade market if they can include those guys along with their cap space and future firsts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My dream:

9. Bennedict Mathurin

20. Mark Williams

25. Nikola Jovic

38. Trade down to Minnesota for 40 and 50

40. Patrick Baldwin Jr.

50. Bryson Williams

What the Spurs will probably do:

9. Blake Wesley

20. Ismael Kamagate

25. Marcus Sasser

38. Yannik Nzosa

I don't see Williams or Baldwin falling that far back ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SI Fan Nation All Hornets | All Hornets 1st Round 2022 NBA Mock Draft 1.0
    James Plowright and Schulyer Callihan, 58 minutes ago, AKA 25 May 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs

The pick: G Shaedon Sharpe (Kentucky)

Analysis: Some concerning reports about Sharpe's at ude could see him slide out of the top five and right to the Spurs at No. 9. Another factor is that he's not as "NBA-ready" as you would like for him to be. The three teams ahead of the Spurs are in "win-now" mode and aren't interested in taking a risk.
    20. San Antonio Spurs

The pick: G Kendall Brown (Baylor)

Analysis: Brown has good size and is athletic for a wing. He's shown flashes of feel, he just needs the right development situation and what better place to develop than San Antonio?
    25. San Antonio Spurs

The pick: G Pat Baldwin Jr. (UW-Milwaukee)

Analysis: Similar player to Davis Bertans who had success in San Antonio. Not much of an athlete, but not that's not essential in this system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SI Fan Nation All Hornets | All Hornets 1st Round 2022 NBA Mock Draft 1.0
    James Plowright and Schulyer Callihan, 58 minutes ago, AKA 25 May 2022

Analysis: Some concerning reports about Sharpe's at ude could see him slide out of the top five and right to the Spurs at No. 9. Another factor is that he's not as "NBA-ready" as you would like for him to be. The three teams ahead of the Spurs are in "win-now" mode and aren't interested in taking a risk.
    Sir, the Spurs are also in "win-now" mode. They also don't tend to like players with at ude. Thanks for not paying attention to basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're still pushing PBJ as a pick, you definitely did not pay attention to the draft combine, where all of the concerns about his underwhelming U19 FIBA World Cup showing and horrible NCAA run at Milwaukee became even more understandable, and he finished at the very bottom percentile of every single athletic test they have-- lane agility, shuttle run, three quarter sprint, standing vertical, & max vertical. Unless some narrative emerges about him having long term post-covid physical malaise, Baldwin is essentially Emoni Bates now, or Hasheem Thabeet. Why he even participated in the physical testing is a question, as he (and his reps) had to know he wouldn't perform well. I wish him well, shooting the lights out in Monaco, Belgrade, or Quindao next year, if he doesn't return to college. At this point, Julian Champagnie is firmly ahead of Patrick Baldwin as a 2nd round flyer, and he might be a 6'8" Bryn Forbes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're still pushing PBJ as a pick, you definitely did not pay attention to the draft combine, where all of the concerns about his underwhelming U19 FIBA World Cup showing and horrible NCAA run at Milwaukee became even more understandable, and he finished at the very bottom percentile of every single athletic test they have-- lane agility, shuttle run, three quarter sprint, standing vertical, & max vertical. Unless some narrative emerges about him having long term post-covid physical malaise, Baldwin is essentially Emoni Bates now, or Hasheem Thabeet. Why he even participated in the physical testing is a question, as he (and his reps) had to know he wouldn't perform well. I wish him well, shooting the lights out in Monaco, Belgrade, or Quindao next year, if he doesn't return to college. At this point, Julian Champagnie is firmly ahead of Patrick Baldwin as a 2nd round flyer, and he might be a 6'8" Bryn Forbes.
    Gotta love the mocks where not a PF is chosen when we have none on this team. SMH.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Sharpe is there at 9 I think you pretty much have to take him despite whatever at ude concerns there are. He has as much of an upside as anyone in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look this draft is a crapshoot like any other draft especially after the top 5 guys. You win some you lose some. We lost with Sammich but won with Keldon all in the same draft. What we probably do know is this
    1. Unless there is a decent trade to be made , they will select #9 in which there is a range of about 6 players that they should take because of talent or fit.
    2. One or possibly two players we didn't expect to drop will be available to them at 9. Will they select a falling player ? Its a decision they will make as it happens.
    3 They will trade at least one of their four picks if not more. Can't see 4 rookies replacing 4 vets on this team. We already have a very young team. They will probably keep 2 possibly 3 but not 4.
    4. They will take a flier on some foreign player. I would bet on that one. If they are a top talent on some top tier Euro team fine, just don't select some middling guy on some middling half ass team. Potential is great but waiting years for it to appear sucks when it doesn't. Explain that one to the fans Brian Wright. Procida or Besson would be ok additions.
    5. Hopefully in this draft they don't reach for a player, but its always a possibility with the spurs. They've done it before, they'll do it again. With 4 picks its ok to reach at 25 or 38 but not at 9 or even 20. If there isn't any one available that they like, trade the pick for a future pick. It beats selecting a player that sits on the bench for 2 years and then gets cut or selecting a G-League lifer.
    6 Its a crapshoot but as in all crapshoots there are always a few winners but losers as well.

Thread Information