Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately the Spurs won a few too many games and dropped outside of the top 7.

This draft is 7 deep with offensive star talent.

Ivey, Sharpe, Mathurin, Murray will all be gone at 9. Fall off happens around 8

Spurs will need to trade up to get one of these guys.
    I think one of those falls to 9...it won't be Ivey but I think there's a good chance one of the others do..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know you're joking but in this draft top 7 look to be above the rest in offensive skills. The offensive skilled players go at a higher premium.

Then a drop off in tier level after 7. With an occasional exception usually the top players are the first few picks.
    Ah okay, you’re the expert and obviously a time traveler from the future. I 100% believe you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know you're joking but in this draft top 7 look to be above the rest in offensive skills. The offensive skilled players go at a higher premium.

Then a drop off in tier level after 7. With an occasional exception usually the top players are the first few picks.
    Do you think all those teams who passed on Giannis and Jokic did so because they thought they were going to be what they were and just wanted other teams to have that caliber of player?

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think all those teams who passed on Giannis and Jokic did so because they thought they were going to be what they were and just wanted other teams to have that caliber of player?
    Different draft/ Sure there will be a player or two that will exceed some of these top guys but good luck identifying that player. You're better higher in the draft to find that type of player.

The top guys in the draft are generally the top potential offensive players with the most athletic upsides, that's why those players are coveted and drafted high.
    Size and offensive ability and any player seen with both gets drafted high.

This draft is about 7 deep then a falloff with more questionable players on the offensive side.
    You can find a solid defender later in the draft but the Spurs need most a creator on offense and top go to scorer. A defender doesn't make the Spurs all that much better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most likely it'll be Sochan at 9, Jovic at 20 and trade away 25 for a protected FDP.

Unexciting draft for the Spurs and not really adding any huge difference makers.

That's what I'm expecting.
    I’d be happy with those picks. And trade Poeltl and 25 to get Davis and Williams? Damn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you look at the consensus mock draft on NBA.com, the top 6 more or less seem locked in. It’s starting pick #7 that we start to see some divergence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But again, these consensus mocks can often be very different from draft night. Jonathan Kuminga, for example, was considered a consensus top 5 pick in last year’s draft, but still fell to #7.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But again, these consensus mocks can often be very different from draft night. Jonathan Kuminga, for example, was considered a consensus top 5 pick in last year’s draft, but still fell to #7.
    Kumminga wasn't consensus no. 5. Some mocks had him there, many others had Scottie Barnes. The real shocker was that Suggs, ACTUAL consensus no. 4, fell behind in favor of Scottie Barnes. But to your point, yes, there can be surprises, though they're usually not that many at the top.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kumminga wasn't consensus no. 5. Some mocks had him there, many others had Scottie Barnes. The real shocker was that Suggs, ACTUAL consensus no. 4, fell behind in favor of Scottie Barnes. But to your point, yes, there can be surprises, though they're usually not that many at the top.
    Exactly. If anything, leading up to the draft there was speculation Kuminga could fall towards the end of the top 10.

He predictably didn't though primarily for the same reason Barnes rose and Williams the year before: They're the second most desirable modern archetype, in part due to scarcity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Different draft/ Sure there will be a player or two that will exceed some of these top guys but good luck identifying that player. You're better higher in the draft to find that type of player.

The top guys in the draft are generally the top potential offensive players with the most athletic upsides, that's why those players are coveted and drafted high.
    Size and offensive ability and any player seen with both gets drafted high.

This draft is about 7 deep then a falloff with more questionable players on the offensive side.
    You can find a solid defender later in the draft but the Spurs need most a creator on offense and top go to scorer. A defender doesn't make the Spurs all that much better.
    I mean the Spurs have done it several times before. Doesn't mean it's a lock by any means, but the point is that nothing about the first 4, 7 or whatever number of players in this draft that makes them a lock to be the best in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^^^

Take away...Keegan Murray will be long gone by 9 and if hes not, the other GMs below 4 are morons. And PATFO better draft the kid if hes still there.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think one of those falls to 9...it won't be Ivey but I think there's a good chance one of the others do..
    1. J Smith
    2. Holmgren
    3. Banchero
    4. Ivey/Sharpe
    5. Sharpe/Ivey
    6. Murray
    7. Mathurin
    8. Duren
    9. Sochan/ Davis/ Daniels

So who is likely to be picked top 8 to make Murray or Mathurian fall to 9?

Most probable the Spurs are going to need to move up 2 or 3 spots in the draft if they want Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hornets have uploaded some of the combine interviews to their website. Some great names there.
    This link will take you to a Sochan one.

Really impressive kid IMHO.

https://www.nba.com/hornets/videos/h...sochan-5-19-22
    Sochan is the pick at 9. It's a no brainer. He's gonna be a stud. The question is what we do after this pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. J Smith
    2. Holmgren
    3. Banchero
    4. Ivey/Sharpe
    5. Sharpe/Ivey
    6. Murray
    7. Mathurin
    8. Duren

Most probable the Spurs are going to need to move up 2 or 3 spots in the draft if they want Murray.
    Davis and/or Sochan and/or Griffin

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is the pick at 9. It's a no brainer. He's gonna be a stud. The question is what we do after this pick.
    Hoping Sochan goes before 9 and Murray falls to 9.

I want a stronger offensive player than a defensive player.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis and/or Sochan and/or Griffin
    Davis and Griffin not likely. Not much buzz on Griffin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Refreshing my selections:

9: JWill / Sochan / Dyson
    20 or 25: Liddell/ Dieng/ Wesley/ Procida / Eason/ Mark Will

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis and Griffin not likely. Not much buzz on Griffin.
    Ya - I dont know how likely just saying those 3 I could see going higher than some think. How likely? Not sure at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Refreshing my selections:

9: JWill / Sochan / Dyson
    20 or 25: Liddell/ Dieng/ Wesley/ Procida / Eason/ Mark Will
    I really hope SA can snag Sochan and Eason. Would love to add some real defense and energy to this already energetic team. I would love to take Sochan at 9 and move up to guarantee Eason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs end up keeping Poeltl and getting players who excel at help defense (maybe Eason or Sochan), then I expect 10 more wins on that alone. That was a big weakness in last year’s team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year, the Spurs glaring weakness was shooting. They addressed that with McD, Vassell’s increased role, Forbes, drafting Wieskamp

If we examine the weaknesses from this past season where it was glaringly obvious and perhaps Pop commented on, they were:
    1) go to scorer - though someone could still develop into that from the current roster
    2) rebounding - Pop mentioned this a couple times so you would think this would be a main focus
    3) help defense - opposing players got easy layups because Poeltl had no help

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs end up keeping Poeltl and getting players who excel at help defense (maybe Eason or Sochan), then I expect 10 more wins on that alone. That was a big weakness in last year’s team.
    Imagine replacing KBD & McDermott with versatile defensive players who actually have some overall upside. That alone would be productive some not even getting into any trades/free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. J Smith
    2. Holmgren
    3. Banchero
    4. Ivey/Sharpe
    5. Sharpe/Ivey
    6. Murray
    7. Mathurin
    8. Duren

I can see Dyson Daniels, Mathurin and possibly Duren going before Murray.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine replacing KBD & McDermott with versatile defensive players who actually have some overall upside. That alone would be productive some not even getting into any trades/free agency.
    Why are you so concerned about the end of the bench players?

Spurs need a lot of work on the starters.

Thread Information