Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/mock-draft...022-nba-draft/

I'd be pleased if this is how the draft plays out for the Spurs. I probably prefer a higher upside player at 20 but getting a likely starter at that selection is difficult to pass up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, if Sochan falls, SA needs to move up to get him. I would much rather SA give up 25 and 20 to move up to 13-16 to get him and land Mathurin and Sochan (or something like that).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No shade, since who knows what the Spurs would want to do, but I'd hate that draft a lot. Obviously I'd hope to be wrong and root for the guys in the SL and onward, but I don't like a single player on that list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp - how likely do you think CHA is to trade a pick? They have 2 and need to make a leap forward. Use one pick to keep building and use other to land a more win now player?

Would they entertain Jak + 25 for 13 + salaries to match? Or 13 + 15 + Hayward for Jak + Richardson + 20 + 25? Clears off 30M in Hayward a year early for them, gets them two good players and still 2 firsts?

Thoughts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dont understand the summary on Houston at #3 with Paolo. Seems like youre saying hes a guard and not a PF.

Either way, Paolo or Smith to Houston make them a potentially scary lineup in a couple more years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade 9 25 38 for number One pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. It would be tough to hate on this as a draft...that is until realization sets in that this team hasn't had a high end talent to play the '4' in several years.

I think that pick at 9 has to be between Murray (via trade), Dieng or Sochan, barring something mysterious in the works. We need to heed the cries of Memphis and "don't duck that smoke."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp - how likely do you think CHA is to trade a pick? They have 2 and need to make a leap forward. Use one pick to keep building and use other to land a more win now player?

Would they entertain Jak + 25 for 13 + salaries to match? Or 13 + 15 + Hayward for Jak + Richardson + 20 + 25? Clears off 30M in Hayward a year early for them, gets them two good players and still 2 firsts?

Thoughts?
    The Spurs have been asking for a ton in return for Poeltl. My guess is that the Spurs will be much more willing to trade him at the trade deadline than at the draft. Doing a trade during the draft involving Poeltl is doable but it'd be difficult to get all those moving parts in order.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dont understand the summary on Houston at #3 with Paolo. Seems like youre saying hes a guard and not a PF.
    In halfcourt settings, Paolo is basically a point power forward or even a point center. He could play that role in Houston because Jalen Green is strictly a scorer right now and Kevin Porter Jr. is far from being a pure point guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. It would be tough to hate on this as a draft...that is until realization sets in that this team hasn't had a high end talent to play the '4' in several years.

I think that pick at 9 has to be between Murray (via trade), Dieng or Sochan, barring something mysterious in the works. We need to heed the cries of Memphis and "don't duck that smoke."

Spurs have so much dead weight (KBD, Jock, Doug, Collins, Langford…) so cycling those guys out with higher end lottery picks? Would be a talent upgrade all while getting younger and more on the timeline….It will be important for SA to get another lottery pick IMO if they can for that exact reason. Upgrade both main roster and lower end of roster with way more upside.

Then land talent (like Lavine) via FA/Trade with their cap space if it presents itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thoughts?
    I'd have no interest in trading up using Poeltl unless the Spurs are getting an elite talent. I really wouldn't want them to en ber their cap with Hayward unless they see him as a starter. I think trading Poeltl goes against the thesis of this mock. It feels very much like a "fill out the roster" draft, and that could be worse. I don't love either Williams, nor do I think the Spurs need to stash any of their picks, but I can see them. The Mathurin pick would probably upset me, but we've been hearing about the Spurs' interest in him for a while now. But the only way this draft could make sense is if the Spurs are going to use cap space and other assets to swing big trades. They aren't drafting starters that fit with Murray in this mock. They're picking guys who might develop into above-average players over time. That's depth on a good team and disappointment on a rebuilding team. I don't think the Spurs can afford to sell their win-now pieces AND cap space so cheaply.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have been asking for a ton in return for Poeltl. My guess is that the Spurs will be much more willing to trade him at the trade deadline than at the draft. Doing a trade during the draft involving Poeltl is doable but it'd be difficult to get all those moving parts in order.
    Would you do Jak + 20 for 13 + 15 + Plumlee?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once again trying hard to trade Jak

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd have no interest in trading up using Poeltl unless the Spurs are getting an elite talent. I really wouldn't want them to en ber their cap with Hayward unless they see him as a starter. I think trading Poeltl goes against the thesis of this mock. It feels very much like a "fill out the roster" draft, and that could be worse. I don't love either Williams, nor do I think the Spurs need to stash any of their picks, but I can see them. The Mathurin pick would probably upset me, but we've been hearing about the Spurs' interest in him for a while now. But the only way this draft could make sense is if the Spurs are going to use cap space and other assets to swing big trades. They aren't drafting starters that fit with Murray in this mock. They're picking guys who might develop into above-average players over time. That's depth on a good team and disappointment on a rebuilding team. I don't think the Spurs can afford to sell their win-now pieces AND cap space so cheaply.
    I see what you’re saying but it would still leave SA with a lot of cap space this year and then get them much upgraded youthful talent vs all the deadweight at bottom of roster. Maybe add Collins in there and its basically a net wash cap wise and SA gets the picks and can still use that space this year. It’s likely going to be reduced next year anyways so its kind of a use it or lose scenario coming up anyways.

So Zach + Richardson + Jak + 20 for Hayward + 13 + 15. SA gets 9, 13 and 15 to “replace/upgrade” KBD, Richardson & Jak and still maintains all their cap space too (Something like that is my mindset)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would you do Jak + 20 for 13 + 15 + Plumlee?
    Four first round picks this year? Eh, no thanks.

If it's me, I probably try to trade 20 for two future firsts and 25 for one future first. If you can't make such a trade, then take a swing on a high upside player. I like 38 -- but you'd probably have to go draft-and-stash if you're using all three firsts.

Best case scenario is something like 9, 20 and 25 for 4 ... but not even the Kings would do that, I don't think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In halfcourt settings, Paolo is basically a point power forward or even a point center. He could play that role in Houston because Jalen Green is strictly a scorer right now and Kevin Porter Jr. is far from being a pure point guard.
    Sure. He could do that but then you'd have a situation where there are too many cooks in the kitchen and not enough bowls to go around. Jalen and KPJ were cooking at the end of this year, though with high usage rates. Now add in a Banchero while also keeping a C Wood happy, and youve got a crowded house.

He'd be better suited off ball, imo, with the current roster construction, unless he can be a more active, more efficient version of Ben Simmons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Four first round picks this year? Eh, no thanks.

If it's me, I probably try to trade 20 for two future firsts and 25 for one future first. If you can't make such a trade, then take a swing on a high upside player. I like 38 -- but you'd probably have to go draft-and-stash if you're using all three firsts.

Best case scenario is something like 9, 20 and 25 for 4 ... but not even the Kings would do that, I don't think.
    Wow - really? I like Jak, but that seems like a lot of value for him. With cap space and 3 near lottery picks its still a situation even with reduced upside draft to add talent, cycle out the bottom of the team which needs more youth/upside and does not hurt cap space in a meaningful way. You can still trade 25 for a future first too so its not like that scenario changes by doing this other deal….

Not to mention, that if you can get 13 and 15 for Jak and 20, then getting to pick 4 becomes WAY more likely: 9, 13 and 15 for 4 is way more attractive than 9, 20 and 25 for 4.

I would have no issues trading 9, 20 and Jak for Pick 4 (which is what this functionally is and you still get pick 25 in this scenario)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow - really? I like Jak, but that seems like a lot of value for him. With cap space and 3 near lottery picks its still a situation even with reduced upside draft to add talent, cycle out the bottom of the team which needs more youth/upside and does not hurt cap space in a meaningful way. You can still trade 25 for a future first too so its not like that scenario changes by doing this other deal….

Not to mention, that if you can get 13 and 15 for Jak and 20, then getting to pick 4 becomes WAY more likely: 9, 13 and 15 for 4 is way more attractive than 9, 20 and 25 for 4.

I would have no issues trading 9, 20 and Jak for Pick 4 (which is what this functionally is and you still get pick 25 in this scenario)
    Bro, that is so many moving parts I need to take notes to keep up. The Spurs just recently figured you're allowed to trade players for future assets before their contracts expire. It'd be asking a lot to do some multi-pronged trade during the middle of a draft that's unlike any trade they've ever made in their history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro, that is so many moving parts I need to take notes to keep up. The Spurs just recently figured you're allowed to trade players for future assets before their contracts expire. It'd be asking a lot to do some multi-pronged trade during the middle of a draft that's unlike any trade they've ever made in their history.
    I know man - I am just saying there are paths to get aggressive and creative. I know from an expectations perspective its a lot to do and moving parts, but the framework is there and broken down seems like its something that can be done (not exactly obviously but the general concept)

But yeah, I have zero expectations of this lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Id rather keep 9, and get their 4 this year, for 20, 25, next year's 1st, and Jakob. Seems like a win for all parties

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see what you’re saying but it would still leave SA with a lot of cap space this year and then get them much upgraded youthful talent vs all the deadweight at bottom of roster. Maybe add Collins in there and its basically a net wash cap wise and SA gets the picks and can still use that space this year. It’s likely going to be reduced next year anyways so its kind of a use it or lose scenario coming up anyways.

So Zach + Richardson + Jak + 20 for Hayward + 13 + 15. SA gets 9, 13 and 15 to “replace/upgrade” KBD, Richardson & Jak and still maintains all their cap space too (Something like that is my mindset)
    What would the depth chart look like after that?

Murray, Jones
    Vassell, Primo, Langford
    Hayward, McDermott
    Johnson, KBD
    Landale

With Walker, Wieskamp, Cacok, Woodard and Stewart as RFAs and the picks. I'm going to assume that 9 is Mathurin and 13 or 15 is Williams while the other goes out for John Collins as you mentioned. I'm also going to assume that at least one of 25 or 38 goes out in the deal. I guess we can use the other for a stash to get it out of the way.

Murray, Jones
    Vassell, Mathurin, Langford
    Johnson, Primo, McDermott
    Collins, Hayward, KBD
    Williams, Landale,

I think that's very arguably a weaker roster than the Spurs currently have despite adding in two lotto picks and a borderline All-Star. Maybe that comes together -- if Mathurin is a star in the making, there's talent on the roster. But it's SOO much harder without Poeltl, and the Spurs gave up their roster flexibility in the Hayward deal. I would far prefer the Spurs to just take the players in front of them or to move up in the post-lottery without involving their rotation players. Then during the off-season, they can go in with both a reasonable path toward a max slot AND a number of expirings or otherwise moveable contracts. They put way more pressure on themselves if they start combining the draft, trades and free agency this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's gonna be a ton of movement now that teams know where they are and are looking closely at prospects. I like how you managed to find (manipulate) a way to get the Spurs a great haul, considering. Right now I have about four players I hope for at the #9 and one is Mathurin. God, I hope any rumors the Spurs might take Mark Williams at that pick are untrue. That would be a disaster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would the depth chart look like after that?

Murray, Jones
    Vassell, Primo, Langford
    Hayward, McDermott
    Johnson, KBD
    Landale

With Walker, Wieskamp, Cacok, Woodard and Stewart as RFAs and the picks. I'm going to assume that 9 is Mathurin and 13 or 15 is Williams while the other goes out for John Collins as you mentioned. I'm also going to assume that at least one of 25 or 38 goes out in the deal. I guess we can use the other for a stash to get it out of the way.

Murray, Jones
    Vassell, Mathurin, Langford
    Johnson, Primo, McDermott
    Collins, Hayward, KBD
    Williams, Landale,

I think that's very arguably a weaker roster than the Spurs currently have despite adding in two lotto picks and a borderline All-Star. Maybe that comes together -- if Mathurin is a star in the making, there's talent on the roster. But it's SOO much harder without Poeltl, and the Spurs gave up their roster flexibility in the Hayward deal. I would far prefer the Spurs to just take the players in front of them or to move up in the post-lottery without involving their rotation players. Then during the off-season, they can go in with both a reasonable path toward a max slot AND a number of expirings or otherwise moveable contracts. They put way more pressure on themselves if they start combining the draft, trades and free agency this year.
    I think theres way more upside than previous roster + cushion to move the other direction if things dont work out. But functionally swapping Jakob/Richardon/Collins with John Collins/2 lottery picks seems like a no brainer risk/reward move to me and there would still be potential for sign and trade of Lavine in there too..

But end of the day, I would at a minimum want SA to do what you said; use what they have (20, 25 and lesser player like Richardson) to move up into another lottery pick area.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mathurin makes too much sense for our playstyle even more so at 220. Mark Williams, I don't see it unless there is untapped playmaking there, the value there is not paying Jakob his next contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not bad. Although if Wendell Moore is available at 38, I’m running that card up to the podium and not thinking twice about it tbh.

I don’t see Mark Williams lasting til 20 either. I think Charlotte at 13 or 15 if they don’t get Duren or Chicago at 18 or another team in need of defense will nab him before then.

Thread Information