Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think theres way more upside than previous roster + cushion to move the other direction if things dont work out. But functionally swapping Jakob/Richardon/Collins with John Collins/2 lottery picks seems like a no brainer risk/reward move to me and there would still be potential for sign and trade of Lavine in there too..
    It's not Jakob/Richard/Collins. It's Jakob/Richardson/Collins/lotto pick/two non-lotto firsts for Collins/two lotto picks/Hayward. Since we have no idea what the Hawks would take for Collins, we don't know if this trade helps them get him. From my perspective, Poeltl/Collins is way more desirable than Hayward/Collins. If they can get Collins in a deal that doesn't involve Murray, Poeltl or the ninth pick and that doesn't break the back in terms of the other pieces, I'm game. That's three starters locked down. Assuming at least one of Vassell/Johnson survive the trade, that's another spot if not two locked down. Use the near-max slot to bring in a scoring guard, and use the remaining picks on PG and C depth, and I think you have something with way more upside. In a roster like,

Murray, Jones
    Lavine, Primo
    Johnson, Vassell
    Collins, KBD
    Poeltl, Landale

I'd love drafting a guy like Mark Williams, and I could even get behind drafting a scoring guard like Mathurin. But once you start punching holes in that rotation, it becomes much easier to see how it would fall apart. There are a number of bad defenders in that rotation. Collins is coming off an injury and probably shouldn't play more than change-up minutes at the five. Their bench is still mostly meh given that the Spurs may well end up stashing whomever they pick at 9. Switching Johnson and Vassell might address a number of those problems, but I don't think that's realistic. The team would need find a starting-caliber center to spell Williams -- assuming they draft him. If guys like Jakob were that common, the Spurs wouldn't be able to get this trade with Charlotte in the first place. That could make defensive issues worse. It could also exacerbate Collins' injury issue. They can't even re-sign Drew Eubanks to fix their problem. Maybe the Spurs have a sizeable chunk of space left over and decide to try to get Jalen Smith, Mo Bamba someone like that to sign on. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But wouldn't bet on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, and Mark Williams at 9 would ing suck tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not bad. Although if Wendell Moore is available at 38, I’m running that card up to the podium and not thinking twice about it tbh.

I don’t see Mark Williams lasting til 20 either. I think Charlotte at 13 or 15 if they don’t get Duren or Chicago at 18 or another team in need of defense will nab him before then.
    Those are both teams that wanted to trade for Poeltl. I don't know that the Spurs would want to trade Poeltl for those picks straight up (they don't need a fifth pick), but I also don't think either team would (or even could in Chicago's case) offer a future first to balance out the Spurs sending 25.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more I think about it, the more I believe the Spurs are going to try and trade 20 & 25 to move up into the teens. There’s gonna be someone there at like 15 or 16 that they want like Eason or Williams and they’re going to try and pull the trigger. Just a hunch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not Jakob/Richard/Collins. It's Jakob/Richardson/Collins/lotto pick/two non-lotto firsts for Collins/two lotto picks/Hayward. Since we have no idea what the Hawks would take for Collins, we don't know if this trade helps them get him. From my perspective, Poeltl/Collins is way more desirable than Hayward/Collins. If they can get Collins in a deal that doesn't involve Murray, Poeltl or the ninth pick and that doesn't break the back in terms of the other pieces, I'm game. That's three starters locked down. Assuming at least one of Vassell/Johnson survive the trade, that's another spot if not two locked down. Use the near-max slot to bring in a scoring guard, and use the remaining picks on PG and C depth, and I think you have something with way more upside. In a roster like,

Murray, Jones
    Lavine, Primo
    Johnson, Vassell
    Collins, KBD
    Poeltl, Landale

I'd love drafting a guy like Mark Williams, and I could even get behind drafting a scoring guard like Mathurin. But once you start punching holes in that rotation, it becomes much easier to see how it would fall apart. There are a number of bad defenders in that rotation. Collins is coming off an injury and probably shouldn't play more than change-up minutes at the five. Their bench is still mostly meh given that the Spurs may well end up stashing whomever they pick at 9. Switching Johnson and Vassell might address a number of those problems, but I don't think that's realistic. The team would need find a starting-caliber center to spell Williams -- assuming they draft him. If guys like Jakob were that common, the Spurs wouldn't be able to get this trade with Charlotte in the first place. That could make defensive issues worse. It could also exacerbate Collins' injury issue. They can't even re-sign Drew Eubanks to fix their problem. Maybe the Spurs have a sizeable chunk of space left over and decide to try to get Jalen Smith, Mo Bamba someone like that to sign on. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But wouldn't bet on it.
    Fair enough - I think the mental exercise for me was looking at all the different paths Sa can go. I think they need to keep pedal down and up the creativity. Look to find value where you can and maximize ROI on assets that aren’t really needle movers for teams like SA and that dont fit timeline.

And I am not dying to trade Jak either so dont want it to come off like that; my pref would be using 20/25/Doug/Richardson to get assets/move up and keep Jak while adding two lottery role players (helps win now a little and helps future) while using cap space and future picks to land someone to add to DJ/Keldon/Jak/Vassell

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now I have about four players I hope for at the #9 and one is Mathurin. God, I hope any rumors the Spurs might take Mark Williams at that pick are untrue. That would be a disaster.
    Yeah, I'd hate Mark Williams at 9. Please no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's definitely not unreasonable, under the assumptions made. It'd SHOCK me if Duren falls to Charlotte, I'm 95% confident they'll end up taking Mark Williams (though I'm hoping they use the pick to trade for Poeltl/Richardson). But if the Spurs find Williams available at 20, yes, he's hard to pass up. He's a quality center for many years, and he allows you to move Poeltl without pain.
    I'm hoping for any one of Daniels, Sochan or Mathurin at 9 (Daniels for potential, Sochan for fit). I'd like to explore the possibility of trading with Charlotte to get 13 & 15 (maybe 9 + 25, or some combination of Poeltl, Richardson & a later pick) and grab 1 of them or Johnny Davis (one is bound to fall) + Tari Eason.
    At 20/25 I'd like two of: Dieng, Jovic, Baldwin Jr, Wesley, Hardy, Branham.
    Only request is, ONLY PICK GUARD IF TALENT GAP IS SIGNIFICANT. At some point you have to stop stockpiling the same kind of player, and if you keep adding Primos, one day you'll pass on a truly better prospect because of that.
    That's about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just for s and gigs. Duren won’t be a Spur though. Of that much I am confident.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would you do Jak + 20 for 13 + 15 + Plumlee?
    Four first round picks this year? Eh, no thanks.
    That's crazy. From an asset perspective, it'd be INSANE VALUE to get two (almost) lottery picks for Poeltl. You are not forced to use them all, if such a deal were available you simply shop the picks and keep the 3 you like the most (considering player value vs potential return). But that's a moot point because not even the Kings would be that stupid (to offer us that much).

Spurs Fan In Milan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please just do not select AJ Griffin, (most overrated player in the draft) and we should be fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's crazy. From an asset perspective, it'd be INSANE VALUE to get two (almost) lottery picks for Poeltl. You are not forced to use them all, if such a deal were available you simply shop the picks and keep the 3 you like the most (considering player value vs potential return). But that's a moot point because not even the Kings would be that stupid (to offer us that much).
    Well, that's not two lottery picks. That's the 13th pick and moving up five spots. And now we can start putting real names into the equation to be more precise.

You do that trade and chances are the resulting swap is something like Poeltl and Wesley for Mark Williams and Branham. That's .............. not exactly an exciting proposition.

I don't love the idea of re-signing Poeltl to a huge deal but if the Spurs trade him, I'd want something more -- or at least assets that can be bundled together at some point in the future. This draft is pretty flat from like 12 to 28 so I don't value 13 and 15 a lot more than I value 20 and 25, for example. To be specific, even if Sochan slips to 13 (which is probably unlikely), picking him there isn't a whole lot more valuable than picking between players like Baldwin, Hardy, Jovic, Wesley, etc. at 20.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, that's not two lottery picks. That's the 13th pick and moving up five spots. And now we can start putting real names into the equation to be more precise.

You do that trade and chances are the resulting swap is something like Poeltl and Wesley for Mark Williams and Branham. That's .............. not exactly an exciting proposition.

I don't love the idea of re-signing Poeltl to a huge deal but if the Spurs trade him, I'd want something more -- or at least assets that can be bundled together at some point in the future. This draft is pretty flat from like 12 to 28 so I don't value 13 and 15 a lot more than I value 20 and 25, for example. To be specific, even if Sochan slips to 13 (which is probably unlikely), picking him there isn't a whole lot more valuable than picking between players like Baldwin, Hardy, Jovic, Wesley, etc. at 20.
    I guess how I look at it is, SA should do that trade before the draft. Secure picks 13 and 15 going into draft so they have 9, 13 and 15. So what they (as I said before) are doing is getting a shot at Poeltl for Ivey and if that does not work, worst case is getting Poeltl and Wesley for Sochan & Duren. That is still a solid deal IMO - but obviously a bit of a gamble. But SA should be taking calculated gambles especially ones that have limited downsides like losing a Center that you don’t likely want to pay anyways…

Then on top of that, SA still having the cap space to replace Jakob or add an all star like Lavine (or both).

And if teams see it as flat as you do, then SA should totally be willing to use 20+25 to get another lottery pick and walk away with likely 2 of the top 10 players in the draft to keep adding talent/youth as we recycle through the dead weight on the team

(Obviously this is predicated on who SA wants - I am just talking value/opportunity in the event they really like 2 guys and one wont be there pick 20)
    Last edited by DPG21920; 05-18-2022 at 03:10 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm not sure we can get that much more for Poeltl, unless we sign him to a long term, team friendly deal... unlikely IMO. And a S&T won't get us more than that. But if Williams & Branham is the best we can do at 13 & 15 and Wesley or Jovic could be had for sure at 20, then yes, I'd agree.
    However, I think 9, 13 and 15 would give us a REAL chance at drafting BOTH a high upside wing/2 guard AND a versatile forward, plus a taking swing with the other pick.
    Say Sochan at 9, Johnny Davis at 13 and Tari Eason (or Blake Wesley, or Branham, or Dieng) at 15
    Or Daniels/Mathurin at 9, Sochan/Eason at 13, and Dieng/Wesley/Branham at 15
    I think guaranteeing yourself one of Sochan or Eason is more valuable than the others mentioned, even if just for fit, plus you up your talent level and leverage an extra pick.

But there's a lot of buts and ifs, you could argue either way I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all know the Spurs are gonna draft two undersized guards at 9/20 and whatever foreign players remaining with the hardest to pronounce names at 25/28 and stash them forever tbh. Question is will they bring back Fathead at 3/$100mil or 4/$130mil to start at PF?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ just jump

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I made a mistake. What else is new? All the Spurs haters are ing tonight. I just took a xanax so I'm kind of mellowing down. And I've recently started to reconsider suicide. And before you me out or call me a pussy, this has nothing to do with the draft lottery. I'm miserable right now in my life and I'm starting to come to a breaking point. I'm stuck at a dead end job with ty pay and I get treated like a piece of too there. No respect at all. I am a hopeless piece of and prick. I wasted 5 and a half years in college in the hopes of possibly getting a good paying job or at least a decent paying job. I've been stuck in retail for almost 3 years making a whopping 15K a year. How am I ever going to be happy making ty money like that? Sorry for the rant, I think it's the xanax kicking in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I made a mistake. What else is new? All the Spurs haters are ing tonight. I just took a xanax so I'm kind of mellowing down. And I've recently started to reconsider suicide. And before you me out or call me a pussy, this has nothing to do with the draft lottery. I'm miserable right now in my life and I'm starting to come to a breaking point. I'm stuck at a dead end job with ty pay and I get treated like a piece of too there. No respect at all. I am a hopeless piece of and prick. I wasted 5 and a half years in college in the hopes of possibly getting a good paying job or at least a decent paying job. I've been stuck in retail for almost 3 years making a whopping 15K a year. How am I ever going to be happy making ty money like that? Sorry for the rant, I thinknit's the xanax kicking in.
    Rob check your DM man. Believe me i’ve been there.

Edit: Rob just clowning me but lord knows I know what career failure can do to you!
    Last edited by KingKev; 05-18-2022 at 06:23 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    vibes Rob everything's gonna be alright

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I made a mistake. What else is new? All the Spurs haters are ing tonight. I just took a xanax so I'm kind of mellowing down. And I've recently started to reconsider suicide. And before you me out or call me a pussy, this has nothing to do with the draft lottery. I'm miserable right now in my life and I'm starting to come to a breaking point. I'm stuck at a dead end job with ty pay and I get treated like a piece of too there. No respect at all. I am a hopeless piece of and prick. I wasted 5 and a half years in college in the hopes of possibly getting a good paying job or at least a decent paying job. I've been stuck in retail for almost 3 years making a whopping 15K a year. How am I ever going to be happy making ty money like that? Sorry for the rant, I think it's the xanax kicking in.
    You're still young I expect so still have time to turn things around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    9 Dyson
    20 Wesley
    25 PBJ
    38 Kamagate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade 9 25 38 for number One pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hang in there bruv. Go back to the small stuff. Getting oxygen in your blood and brain -- even deep breathing or walking -- can do wonders and put meaningless into perspective. Look into Transcendental Meditation. One day at a time. Find a job that doesnt make you hate it and yourself even if the pay isn’tfantastic. That'll give you time to re-orient yourself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs need a star( didn’t say super star) and a starter/rotation player out of this draft/off season. I also think they have the draft picks, plus the moveable pieces, to get it done. Hoping the FO doesn’t just draft some dudes. We’ll see…..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    look on the bright side, at least you're not that bum koriwhat

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Four first round picks this year? Eh, no thanks.

If it's me, I probably try to trade 20 for two future firsts and 25 for one future first. If you can't make such a trade, then take a swing on a high upside player. I like 38 -- but you'd probably have to go draft-and-stash if you're using all three firsts.

Best case scenario is something like 9, 20 and 25 for 4 ... but not even the Kings would do that, I don't think.
    I think the Kings will entertain offers for #4 but, I don't think they'll be looking for draft picks. I think they want a player to put next to Fox. We probably won't be bidding for their pick but if we did I assume it would take DJ to get #4. I do believe there are scenarios that make sense for is to do that but it's a slower rebuild.

If they don't get offers they like from other teams I might offer them something like 9 + KJ + 25 and see if they bite...

Thread Information