Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like this mock. A Duke and another SEC player in the top 20 is the safest bet for guys who are used to the limelight.

I looked at the top four picks since 2000 and every draft save for 2005 (Unless Marvin Williams is one) had a bust. 2019-2021 too early to tell but has some potential busts as well.

Meaning the Spurs getting into this lottery top 4 could’ve landed them a bust to continue the trend anyway. I know I’m reaching but gotta bright side this as much as you can
    Stay away from Chet this year. He is the bust player.

Of course there is likely to be a bust in the top four but how many busts were at the 9th pick.

Your odds are better to not get a bust player with the higher picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With one of our late picks I’m pretty in on the spurs grabbing John Butler from FSU and trying to develop him into our 4 of the future tbh
    9th- Mathurin
    20th- Blake Wesley
    25th- John Butler.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Discussion of Jalen Williams' prospects and appeal after the Combine:

https://youtu.be/JPoiRD24058

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seen on twitter somewhere, would you do it:

Spurs send:

2023 lotto protected FRP
    Josh Richardson

Kings send:

This is based on the 2019 trade where the Hawks sent #8 and #17, a SRP and a protected 2020 FRP to the Pelicans for #4 (DeAndre Hunter), a 2019 SRP, and a conditional 2023 SRP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don't really *need* Ivey, but we do (desperately) need an infusion of Elite Talent, which Ivey is. I'd do the deal and adjust accordingly. It would definitely take the pursuit of Lavine off the table, but we obviously can't put our eggs in that basket anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am all for Chinook approach a few posts back. I felt tempted to bump it bc I am with it a 100%. I prefer a high floor prospect. Sometimes those guys do end up developing into more, like Kawhi and Butler, but even if they don’t, at least you got something. That would have been the case for taking Clarke over Luka Samanic for example. One helped his team to the conference semifinals getting big and important minutes in a good team, the other is out of the league, but he was a big swing and a miss.

I am hoping still that swing and a miss will end up not being the case with Primo, but right now its wait and see.

Id want them to get someone who has a good solid floor and who will contribute, then try to get that guy to be even better if you can. He may not be a star (Clarke isn’t for example in this comparison, but hes good.)

Either way, I’ll have to accept whatever, if they take a huge gamble I hope they hit this time. Third time is the charm…!
    Had Luka panned out, the Spurs would be sitting in a much different position. So I'm OK with that swing and miss, however now that you went big then, and again with Primo and he looks to have a moderate ceiling, PATFO simply cannot employ that strategy again anytime soon. You have to do precisely what Chinook suggested and go with a player with a higher floor, especially in a draft with more questionable talent below the top 6 or 7.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had Luka panned out, the Spurs would be sitting in a much different position. So I'm OK with that swing and miss, however now that you went big then, and again with Primo and he looks to have a moderate ceiling, PATFO simply cannot employ that strategy again anytime soon. You have to do precisely what Chinook suggested and go with a player with a higher floor, especially in a draft with more questionable talent below the top 6 or 7.
    Interesting approach. I'm not opposed to it. But who has the high floor at 9? Eason? Mathurin if he's still there? Davis? Dyson Daniels?

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs send:

2023 lotto protected FRP
    Josh Richardson

Kings send:

This is based on the 2019 trade where the Hawks sent #8 and #17, a SRP and a protected 2020 FRP to the Pelicans for #4 (DeAndre Hunter), a 2019 SRP, and a conditional 2023 SRP.
    Yes and draft Sharpe. Sharpe has a higher ceiling than Ivey. You swing for the Home Run here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stay away from Chet this year. He is the bust player.

Of course there is likely to be a bust in the top four but how many busts were at the 9th pick.

Your odds are better to not get a bust player with the higher picks.
    lots of so-so’s at 9 since the Duncan draft but a good slew of players who became all-stars, got big contracts, or were entrenched starters.

Not including Mitc , Aveeda, or Huchimara, the 9th pick got you:

2016 - Jakob Poetle
    2012 - Andre Drummond
    2011 - Kamba Walker
    2010 - Gordon Hayward
    2009 - Demar derozan
    2007 - Joachim Noah
    2004 - Andre iguadala
    2002 - Amare Stoudamire
    1999 - Shawn Marion
    1998 - Dirk Niwitski
    1997 - Tracy MCgrady

So 11 out 22 panned put. 50% batting average.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting approach. I'm not opposed to it. But who has the high floor at 9? Eason? Mathurin if he's still there? Davis? Dyson Daniels?
    There's so much volatility in mocks right now, but if we were talking about floor rankings, Eason, Murray and Davis would probably be up there. I think you could also argue that AJ Griffin is on that list given his shooting. The point is to not pick someone like Poke or Sam where you're giving up all agency in the draft and treating it like a game of slots. That's loser, Hinkie . The draft isn't a crap shoot. From afar, things appear to follow probabilities, but the reality is that every player picked will be an individual, and teams picking them will have a lot of say in their development. If the Spurs take Duren, Dieng or Baldwin, it shouldn't be because they're playing the lotto. They should have a realistic plan for how those players can progress to add a certain amount of value to the club over the life of their contracts.

If Murray locks down the starting PF job and plays well enough to hang there for eight years, the amount of value he adds to the Spurs would be really hard for a project to make up. If Eason is the guy who can play next to Keldon Johnson to let Keldon hide of defense and be his best self on offense, who cares if Eason himself is just a role-player? If all Davis does is muddy the SG position by raising the floor for the compe ion, is that really the worst thing? As I said before, Sam was bad. He was a bad pick with bad ideas that went into making it. We'll see on Primo. I think too many fans think the Spurs believed he was going to be a star and expected him to show that early. In reality, I don't think he was any more disappointing than DJM was in his first season. Regardless, I don't the Spurs should let those guys inform their valuations this year, but I do think they should not employ a flat understanding of potential and instead consider the more dynamic way it interacts with development and on-court contributions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, Murray (if he's still there), Mathurian, Jovic, and Dieng for sure, from my perspective. Eason to a lesser extent. I think Davis and Daniels are less sure.

The key is to get someone who might not be an All-Star but that you really see developing into a guy that's no deeper than second or so off the bench 5 years down the road. Doing that may limit your individual upside but you can build a team with those guys just like Memphis did...Remembering that Memphis was like 24-4 *without* Ja.

I think Memphis has been drafting their ass off with that philosophy for the last 4 or 5 years then picking up those guys, and not the all-star types, in free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, Murray (if he's still there), Mathurian, Jovic, and Dieng for sure, from my perspective. Eason to a lesser extent. I think Davis and Daniels are less sure.

The key is to get someone who might not be an All-Star but that you really see developing into a guy that's no deeper than second or so off the bench 5 years down the road. Doing that may limit your individual upside but you can build a team with those guys just like Memphis did...Remembering that Memphis was like 24-4 *without* Ja.

I think Memphis has been drafting their ass off with that philosophy for the last 4 or 5 years then picking up those guys, and not the all-star types, in free agency.
    I definitely like Memphis’ approach to players more or less. To quibble, I see Dieng as low floor/high ceiling due to his youth and inexperience. I see Eason as having a high defensive floor, but lots of variables with how far he can go.

For later picks, EJ Lidell seems safe.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mathurin. Presuming the shooting translates (you never know; look at Nesmith), add it to athleticism, positional size and strength and there's a clear path to minimally being a floor spacer who can at least be a non liability defender.

I'm not interested in all of these non shooters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Johnny Davis has the highest floor of those likely in the #9 range. I feel his defense, effort, rebounding and hustle will directly translate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I definitely like Memphis’ approach to players more or less. To quibble, I see Dieng as low floor/high ceiling due to his youth and inexperience. I see Eason as having a high defensive floor, but lots of variables with how far he can go.

For later picks, EJ Lidell seems safe.
    Dieng is so quick and athletic for someone 6'10". He dribbles like a guard. He's above average on defense. And he's a PnR beast. His shooting is what may or may not make him all star level imo.

OKC scout is on record saying he could be the steal of the draft.

To me, his floor is plenty high just on his stature and athleticism alone. He's a potentially better Brandon Clarke that's had lots of impact his first couple years in the league.

Agree on Lidell though.

Also think burn is a high floor guy at 25 or 38.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes and draft Sharpe. Sharpe has a higher ceiling than Ivey. You swing for the Home Run here.
    Meh. Maybe, but bust rate is a lot higher for Sharpe. No way I'm taking him over Ivey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs send:

2023 lotto protected FRP
    Josh Richardson

Kings send:

3 FRPS (including a 9th) and a solid rotation player for a #4 who isn't a surefire top player.

, no.

Let's not fantasize too much about this draft and see a decisive game changer down any pick just because spurs need one. that the kind of trade desperate GMs would do. The guy bust and you're ed. It's fine and all to be virtual GM'ing but you don't jeopardize your future with a bet.

Spurs are not the Lakers and can't eventually reload on the fly. LA did but for AD with Lebron and a ring and they're in pretty bad shape now. Spurs can't do it for a #4 who ain't AD and wouldn't make spurs a contender anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs send:

2023 lotto protected FRP
    Josh Richardson

Kings send:

Absolutely not. People talk about a top 4, but it’s really a top 3: Banchero, holmgren, Smith. There is no one outside of that trio that you should mortgage that much of your future for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just stay away from Chet unless that dude joins Lebron's PED program he is not going to be very effective at the NBA level.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs send:

2023 lotto protected FRP
    Josh Richardson

Kings send:

nope, that's too much.

Even without the 2023 FRP i'll have to think about it. Depends on who is there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just one more month until we get our future superstar

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reserve the right to change my mind as we get more workout data but right now at 9 I'd take Murray, Mathurin or Duren if they fall ...if they don't I'd take Dieng... at 20 and 25 I'd look hard at getting one of these guys.. PBJ, EJ, Eason (if he falls) or Jovic, ...for the other pick I like Procida, Moore Jr, Hardy, Wesley, and Branham...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would you say is the trade value on 9?

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game Haus | 2022 NBA Mock Draft May 24
    Joe DiTullo, May 24, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs- Jalen Duren, C, Memphis

Duren was one of the bright spots on a Memphis team that battled to make the NCAA Tournament. He protects the rim and rebounds well.
    20. San Antonio Spurs- MarJon Beauchamp, G, G-League

Beauchamp needs to shoot 3-pointers better and the Spurs are the team that has done a good job of working with players like that in the past.
    25. San Antonio Spurs- E.J. Liddell, F, Ohio State

Liddell is a forward that can shoot and score on all three levels.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lineups | 2022 NBA Mock Draft 3.0: Orlando Magic Win The Lottery, What Next?
    Andrew Norton, May 23, 2023

9. San Antonio Spurs – Johnny Davis, Wisconsin

Few players would fit the “Spurs System” better than Johnny Davis. Davis was a menace on defense for a Wisconsin team that was elite on that end of the floor. Additionally, you could book Davis for 20 points per night against any team in America; he rose from a virtually unknown player to a household name in the collegiate basketball world in just a few months. Not many players are willing to outwork Davis, and I feel that he would fit in flawlessly next to Dejounte Murray in San Antonio. This pick entirely depends on which position San Antonio values the most right now.
    20. San Antonio Spurs (from Toronto Raptors) – Jalen Duren, Memphis

25. San Antonio Spurs (from Boston Celtics) – Kendall Brown, Baylor

Thread Information