Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonna laugh at the meltdown on this site when Dyson Daniels and Mathurin go 7 & 8 and Spurs wind up taking AJ Griffin
    I am afraid of this. Coupled with AJ then losing the only skill that made him draftable when he has to rework his shot. Only half joking here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about whether the two can play together. In a vacuum, they certainly could. It's that even with that, they wouldn't draft them both in a year. So if they do it this time, it means they have no plan for rebuilding other than draft SGs until they get a star. That's ridiculously bad, especially given how they seem to view developing players nowadays.

I think a lot of people have a misconception on how BPA works. It almost never means to take the absolute best prospect all the time. It usually means making a board and sticking to it if you make a pick but to use that board to inform you when to move around the draft. If the Spurs needed a PF, but an SG was the best player on the board, they don't have to take him. They can move around until the BPA IS a PF. Also, being BPA doesn't mean to just have more talent. Positional need is certainly part of setting the board. So if Mathurin is the best player on the board, and the Spurs can't or won't find a workable trade, then so be it. But him merely having talent doesn't make him the obvious pick, especially considering that the Spurs keep finding ways to feel that way about guards while other teams to be able to find talent players at other positions just fine.
    They might draft both in the same year, they're both wings defensively and I don't see that as not having a plan. In general, they haven't appeared to have a coherent one though.

You're overthinking this. Just pick the best perceived talent and be done with it.

I agree positional need should factor in mainly when it comes to fours because it's so difficult to find ones with a combination of good enough physical tools and ball skills, which is why I've long said they should try to trade up for Murray (good luck though considering he's a perfect fit for the Pacers and Trail Blazers).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are saying Duren is a physical specimen. But Mark Williams is taller and has a longer wingspan.
    But Duren is just 18 and can still grow. This past season should have been his senior year of high school.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a pretty decent player the spurs actually want isn't there (I'm talking size), I'm all for trading down a bit and collect some assets, say like to Cleveland: McNuggets and the #9 for Isaac Okoro, Lamar Stevens and the #14. Kills two birds with one stone. We don't exactly get what we want because it isn't there, but we do pick up some assets and we still pick at the end of the lottery. Remember whomever we pick at 9 won't get to play all that much as Pop hates to play rookies (very few exceptions). At least with the trade above we pick up assets and experience, something the #9 probably won't give us right away.
    Different day. Vassell played as a rookie, over 1000 minutes in a 72 game season. Primo played almost 1000:this year. You people need some new material.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are saying Duren is a physical specimen. But Mark Williams is taller and has a longer wingspan.
    Duren’s bounce is ridiculous. He’s also extremely muscular and developed for 18.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you mind if I ask why? I am legit curious.
    Just based on timvp’s comments of the Spurs being high on him. Duren is young and has upside, so I’m not hating on him. But he comes from a Memphis program that was really poorly coached last season and has a reputation for producing selfish players or players with character issues. Duren doesn’t seem to have the latter, which is good. And he’s the 2nd youngest player in the draft, which is a definite plus.

But just personality-wise, Duren just doesn’t seem like a Spurs guy to me. Williams has that Duke pedigree (was well-coached under Coach K and their excellent staff) and comes from a strong family (his father is a doctor, etc). And now we know his measurements are insane. Just think Spurs would rather have him than Duren.

With that said, I’d be shocked (and disappointed) if we went with a rim-running big at 9. Legit.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker probably has rung his own death knell.
    Sadly, I hope they don't consider any scenario in bringing him back. I don't know who we should draft but I know they have to move on from Walker. His playing time will only get in the way of other players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I go back and forth on all this but if I had to simplify I'd say: don't draft any poor defender, but if you do they have to be able to self create on offense--being a good three point shooter is not enough.

Mathurin sounds like a rich man's McDermott/Walker type player--great shooter, gets lost on defense too often. I said rich man's because he has more upside and better hope on defense, and I'm hyperbolizing to obviously trigger people, but who do we have to break down the defense to get him those open looks? I suppose his spacing can open up the lane for Dejounte, but I honestly don't think it's a great fit, though happy to be proven wrong if they end up picking Mathurin.

I'm sort of at Dyson Daniels, Johnny Davis, or Sochan. The latter two are sort of ferocious compe ors and I think that's what I want more than anything, someone who is ridiculously driven. A small market team should probably be defensive oriented because it's harder to acquire top shelf offensive talent. So yeah, at this point I'm fine with one of those three and realize we are going to be bad again next year and still in the lottery.

Of course tomorrow I may change my mind completely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some adjustments…

9 - Dyson/ Eason / Dieng
    20 - JWilliams/ Wesley
    25 - Liddell/ Procida

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would I let an unknown and uncontrollable dictate the draft when the draft precludes free agency? Willingness to spend on Ayton is independent of draft day decisions given Ayton is an RFA who, IF interested I have the tools to acquire via S&T or via outright free agency.
    Not at all IMO. Teams know their chances and when drafting a C in the lottery is already a low EV move, it’s even lower if you have sights set on a high dollar C already in upcoming FA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Sochan, but I’ve backed off him at the #9. I think at that draft position, you aim for someone with good to great offensive prowess (scoring or facilitating). While I think Sochan could improve a lot on that end, I don’t think his defense is game changing enough justify to picking him there.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just based on timvp’s comments of the Spurs being high on him. Duren is young and has upside, so I’m not hating on him. But he comes from a Memphis program that was really poorly coached last season and has a reputation for producing selfish players or players with character issues. Duren doesn’t seem to have the latter, which is good. And he’s the 2nd youngest player in the draft, which is a definite plus.

But just personality-wise, Duren just doesn’t seem like a Spurs guy to me. Williams has that Duke pedigree (was well-coached under Coach K and their excellent staff) and comes from a strong family (his father is a doctor, etc). And now we know his measurements are insane. Just think Spurs would rather have him than Duren.

With that said, I’d be shocked (and disappointed) if we went with a rim-running big at 9. Legit.
    Who cares what his father does for a living. That should have no bearing on a players abilities. Duke players are often over rated when they get into the NBA. The Duke pedigree is BS. This thing about certain players not Spurs guys is stupid. Duren has more upside than Williams as he has a better game already away from the basket. Williams can't shoot beyond 5 feet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who cares what his father does for a living. That should have no bearing on a players abilities. Duke players are often over rated when they get into the NBA. The Duke pedigree is BS. This thing about certain players not Spurs guys is stupid. Duren has more upside than Williams as he has a better game already away from the basket. Williams can't shoot beyond 5 feet.

yea the whole he has great parents means jack

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yea the whole he has great parents means jack
    DJ is our best player and grew up virtually fatherless.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Sochan, but I’ve backed off him at the #9. I think at that draft position, you aim for someone with good to great offensive prowess (scoring or facilitating). While I think Sochan could improve a lot on that end, I don’t think his defense is game changing enough justify to picking him there.
    Agree the Spurs can target defensive players with the later picks.

That pick at 9 should have the highest offensive upside potential. Those type of players will get drafted higher.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. Which is why we might end up using the no. 9 pick on Orlando Robinson
    Joking... but kind of worried also
    Is he the youngest player in the draft? (sarcasm)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some adjustments…

9 - Dyson/ Eason / Dieng
    20 - JWilliams/ Wesley
    25 - Liddell/ Procida
    I like this...........so many different ways this draft can play out I just hope we get lucky with some of our picks..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh JWilliams is the yang to Eason’s yin. They’re roughly the same age. One is a big offense guy and the other a big defense guy. Because of where the league is trending, I’d almost prefer JWill. JWill’s physical and athletic marks are eye popping. In an interview, he likens himself to DeMar DeRozan… which is a comparison I’m struggling to like but if his offense can be anywhere as good and be less ballhoggy, then I’m open to it. He is a really interesting point forward option for us.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Williams fans, a question: what does he do better than Kessler?
    Shoot FT's (.727 vs .596) (this is important WRT to predicting who's jumpshot will develop)
    Shoot 2FG's (.723 vs .702)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s going to help his stock immensely. Meanwhile the Spurs FO is wondering: “Do either of his parents have advanced college degrees?”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haha yeah who the parents are shouldn't and doesn't really matter but after Kawhi I could see the Spurs having an upgraded personality test that considers stuff like that to a degree more than they used to. Leonard was influenced by inner circle family after all. Not my hill to die on but I wouldn't blame Front Office for being sensitive to that if they are and eyeing family/entourage to gauge for such tendencies and being more selective based on that. Spurs seem to consider off court stuff a bit more already anyway right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the rumors are true that Houston is open to trading #3, and since it is likely Banchero will be available at that spot, what kind of package would they accept?

#9, #20 and Keldon Johnson for #3?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two guards and a midget PF

That would be a very Spursy draft
    Somebody buy this Front Office a measuring Tape longer than 79 inches please

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Different day. Vassell played as a rookie, over 1000 minutes in a 72 game season. Primo played almost 1000:this year. You people need some new material.
    Like I said with a few exceptions. Lets not forget Lonnie's 117 total minutes his first season, or Keldon's 300 minutes, or current all star Murray's 321 minutes. Yeah it's a different day but when you're the 11th and 12th pick you should be playing some meaningful minutes.

Thread Information