Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So an unreported visit to the Spurs also. Makes more sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another guy whose voice sounds nothing like I pictured. Similar to Timmy.

He’s gonna be the pick isn’t he

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think Spurs will take Williams at nine, but I definitely think they’re going to try to move 20 and 25 to either Charlotte or Cleveland and potentially target Williams there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am totally prepared for M Williams at 9 and then one or two projects like Christie.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playing yes, because he'd be competing with Jock Landale, who is a bit player. But starting day one, which is what I was referring to, I have doubts about that. Regardless, drafting Williams is punting so to speak with the assumption that they are still in a longterm rebuild, but they would be fortifying their interior defense, at least.
    They are in a long term rebuild. Don't see any quick turnaround for the spurs this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    between him and Duren who do y'all think is the better player?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now Williams is the better player, however, Duren has more theoretical upside - mainly due to his passing and the potential for defensive switchability down the line, which is probably unlikely. Doubt either ends up as any sort of a jump shooter.

If both become typical rim running bigs then Williams would probably be a little better because of his size, but there's always that tantalizing talent upside that makes teams usually draft Durens over Williamses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duren.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd take Williams on that.

For the worst case (barring injury of course), assume no development for either: Williams is a 2nd or 3ed C in the NBA right now. Duren (now), is either a 3ed C or in Europe.

Middle case: Williams is Gobert -- on defense, and Gobert + on offense. Duren is a budget version of Dwight Howard.

Best Case: Williams is Gobert (maybe even Gobert +) on defense, and Gobert ++ on offense. Duren is some hybrid of Dwight and Bam.

You take Williams in 2 of 3 cases, and even at the best case, it's really close...

When I look at Williams I see a guy with Gobert size, Gobert (maybe better) athleticism, with defensive instincts, and who (according to all reports) is coachable. He's gonna be useful as a defender. On offense, he just posted a season that he shot .727 FT%, which is better than any season Gobert has ever produced (this suggests he has much more chance of having a jump shot; not neccesarily 3 pt range, but a jumper.) Mark posted at 1.4/1.4 A/TO (per 36); Gobert has beaten that in 1 NBA season 2.2/1.8 in 18/19, his 6th NBA season, and had a 0.6:2.3 ratio when drafted (Mark show more vision and passing ability). I think Mark is more aggressive off the P&R. For these 3 reasons, I think Mark will be better offensively than Gobert is.

Duren has to develop a bunch just to catch up with Mark today...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duren.

More possibilities with Duren, Williams is a Gobert type of guy while Duren is more a Center who can pass, defends the perimeter better and showed some sign of shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    williams by far. really nice improvement in his touch and hands from his freshman to sop re year. improved from 53% at the line to 72%. huge defensive upside with his length and timing. Duren has the flashier highlight plays, and even factoring in his youth I don't see him having the well rounded game that williams does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now, Duren is a low impact pogo defensive center a la former Spur Dedmon. He’s got poor fundamentals on either end and that’s something you don’t learn easily. Basically, he’s Eubanks from last year but he’s a fresh face so people don’t see it that way.

M Will on the other hand can start for a lot of teams right now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now, Duren is a low impact pogo defensive center a la former Spur Dedmon. He’s got poor fundamentals on either end and that’s something you don’t learn easily. Basically, he’s Eubanks from last year but he’s a fresh face so people don’t see it that way.

M Will on the other hand can start for a lot of teams right now.
    Will be interesting to look at that in a few years.... Saying Duren is Dedmon or Eubanks is pretty laughable imo. Will see maybe you're right, maybe not but you really too low on Duren.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duren might have the higher upside, but we're talking a similar, sub offensive star archetype, so I'd prefer Williams for two reasons: 1) He's likely an immediate rotation caliber player and a possible starter as soon as during his rookie season and 2) He's projected to go in the early-mid teens, a range the Spurs can probably trade into.

Even though shot creation can probably be had in that same range, they get their pick of the litter (of projected available options) at 9.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the input guys. I can see the Spurs drafting Sochan at 9 and then trade up into the mid teens to draft Mark Williams. That seems like the most likely scenario to me

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will be interesting to look at that in a few years.... Saying Duren is Dedmon or Eubanks is pretty laughable imo. Will see maybe you're right, maybe not but you really too low on Duren.
    Dedmon has been in the league for eight seasons. That’s too low? Maybe you’re too high. I’m not not giving him a chance. He could develop well enough to exceed expectations, but it’s unlikely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone please name the last low-skill, athleticism-reliant archetype center that was drafted out of the top 5 and went on to become a star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Different personalities too, between Willimas and Duren. Williams seems kinda cool, easy guy, maybe a tad shy while Duren seems more of an alpha guy, very confident, tough and determined. It remaons to see how it translates on the court, but yeah different guys.

Reason why I'd take Duren. Spurs are soft and need more alpha genes and leaders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't mind getting Williams, just his switchability is a little concerning to me. Scouting reports said his length makes up for it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind like Kevin Garnett was more of an alpha than easy going Tim Duncan? Hey, at the end of the day both guys ended up with a ring but I am just saying just cause a guy is less animated in their personality doesn't mean they won't be able to bring it on the court. With all due respect though, I get what you are saying we need more dog in our lineup, like Derrick White if only he had been an alpha.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone please name the last low-skill, athleticism-reliant archetype center that was drafted out of the top 5 and went on to become a star.
    How about DeAndre Jordan.

He was drafted in the 2d Round (pick 35).

He had very few basketball skills other than jumping up and dunking (hence the moniker "Lob City").

Yet he accomplished the following:

NBA All-Star (2017)
    All-NBA First Team (2016)
    2× All-NBA Third Team (2015, 2017)
    2× NBA All-Defensive First Team (2015, 2016)
    2× NBA rebounding leader (2014, 2015)

He also had the distinct (and most satisfying) honor of driving Marc Cuban completely insane as Cuban tried to stake DeAndre out at his Houston hideout when DeAndre stiffed the Mavs after agreeing to a max deal with them only to back out of it.

You can argue whether he was a star of or not, but you can't argue he was First Team All-NBA (only five of those guys in a given year) and he got a max deal (and had multiple suitors for it).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind like Kevin Garnett was more of an alpha than easy going Tim Duncan? Hey, at the end of the day both guys ended up with a ring but I am just saying just cause a guy is less animated in their personality doesn't mean they won't be able to bring it on the court. With all due respect though, I get what you are saying we need more dog in our lineup, like Derrick White if only he had been an alpha.
    I considered Tim as the quietest Alpha I had ever seen.
    Remember that iconic moment when Tony drove on Lebron and scored in the Finals and popped up in his face and here comes Timmy.
    Just grabs Parker by the proverbial scruff of his neck and drags him back to the bench.
    That's Alpha.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was a true getcha ass over here moment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about DeAndre Jordan.

He was drafted in the 2d Round (pick 35).

He had very few basketball skills other than jumping up and dunking (hence the moniker "Lob City").

Yet he accomplished the following:

NBA All-Star (2017)
    All-NBA First Team (2016)
    2× All-NBA Third Team (2015, 2017)
    2× NBA All-Defensive First Team (2015, 2016)
    2× NBA rebounding leader (2014, 2015)

He also had the distinct (and most satisfying) honor of driving Marc Cuban completely insane as Cuban tried to stake DeAndre out at his Houston hideout when DeAndre stiffed the Mavs after agreeing to a max deal with them only to back out of it.

You can argue whether he was a star of or not, but you can't argue he was First Team All-NBA (only five of those guys in a given year) and he got a max deal (and had multiple suitors for it).
    I’ll concede to DeAndre, though if that’s the best example anyone has then it’s easy to live with. Don’t think there was a year I coveted DJ even after his lone all star year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have never bought into the Alpha stuff. Either you have it or you don't when it comes to killer instincts and self-confidence. Duncan had both in spades even greater than Garnett in my eyes. He just kept it internalized but he showed it on the court with his actions. There are guys who like Duncan, Kareem, Olajuwon that are not animated but get the job done.

Thread Information