+Dunks everything
    +Catches everything
    +Rim protection

Weaknesses
    -Shooting
    -Passing
    -Defensive mobility

Details on rumor of Mark Williams being targeted by Spurs at the ninth pick
    Last edited by timvp; 05-19-2022 at 01:03 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Love Song of Mark Williams
    by Timvp

Williams is a 7-foot center out of Duke
    with a reported 7-foot-7 wingspan.
    He’s not a shooter or passer
    but he’s an elite finisher at the rim.

He has great hands and dunks everything
    (he led the nation in dunks, in fact).

Williams scores extremely high
    with regard to his character,
    comes from a strong family

(his dad is a gastroenterologist,
    his sister is in the WNBA)

and plays a focused brand of basketball.

I think Williams at nine is a bit of a stretch
    (he was 22 on my latest Spurs Big Board)
    but he’d be a fine pick at 20.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he better then duren for a true c?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That he's a giant is certainly interesting. I don't mind him taken for depth, but he'd be a weird pick at 9. I want the team to take a center with one of their four picks, but unless they see a top-10 center in his future, I can't imagine it feeling like good value to take him.

Now if they trade Poeltl to Chicago or Charlotte on the other hand, they might have an extra pick to take him. That could make sense. I don't want them to trade Poeltl, but you could see it working out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This one doesn't have his scouting report.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That he's a giant is certainly interesting. I don't mind him taken for depth, but he'd be a weird pick at 9. I want the team to take a center with one of their four picks, but unless they see a top-10 center in his future, I can't imagine it feeling like good value to take him.

Now if they trade Poeltl to Chicago or Charlotte on the other hand, they might have an extra pick to take him. That could make sense. I don't want them to trade Poeltl, but you could see it working out.
    You take him if Duren is off the board( But prefer Duren as he has more upside) and a trade with Charlotte is in the works for Poeltl. Then the Spurs add another targeted player at 13.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve warmed up to the idea of him at 9 tbh not saying that’s who I want but it all depends on if the spurs have a plan for the draft or just plan to draft the best player available at each pick

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    I like this kid if he's there at 9. Spurs should sell high on Poeltl before he needs to be re-signed, imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does the 9th pick in the draft get paid? Just curious as to how that matches up with Jak's current deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would much rather have burn after all is said and done at 25 or 38 than Williams. We should be drafting a center, but not reaching for one at 20. There are other good talents available that dont have the atrocious descriptors this guy has. Shame on Patfo if they take this dude that high.

From LJ's article, "...(Williams) is not a shooter or passerbut he’s an elite finisher at the rim."

Why on earth would the Spurs waste a mid first round pick on a center like that? We already have a center like that with MUCH better defensive skills.

burn has some of the sweetest feet in this draft for an old school center and can score old school, at times rather easily. Thats what we need. Not Poeltl 1.5

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like this kid if he's there at 9. Spurs should sell high on Poeltl before he needs to be re-signed, imo
    Agree, need to move Poeltl on draft night in a draft package with one of the later picks as his value will be higher on draft night than later because teams will acquire centers on draft night that are in need. Poeltl's value will drop after draft night.

You won't get back as much in return(draft capital that is where the value will be for Poeltl) the longer you hold onto Poeltl and the Spurs can structure their draft(grabbing a center) knowing Poeltl won't be on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would much rather have burn after all is said and done at 25 or 38 than Williams. We should be drafting a center, but not reaching for one at 20. There are other good talents available that dont have the atrocious descriptors this guy has. Shame on Patfo if they take this dude that high.

From LJ's article, "...(Williams) is not a shooter or passerbut he’s an elite finisher at the rim."

Why on earth would the Spurs waste a mid first round pick on a center like that? We already have a center like that with MUCH better defensive skills.

burn has some of the sweetest feet in this draft for an old school center and can score old school, at times rather easily. Thats what we need. Not Poeltl 1.5
    FWIW...

He's always seemed a little Roy Hibbert-y to me but you can best believe if the Spurs take him at #9 it's because of the character and traits Schmitz mentions in his video.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW...

He's always seemed a little Roy Hibbert-y to me but you can best believe if the Spurs take him at #9 it's because of the character and traits Schmitz mentions in his video.
    He scares me that we reach for a young kid again with potential like we did last year. Spurs cant afford potential with that high a draft pick. They need as close to a lock as possible for the respective draft position. I dont take him before 25, thanks in part to Primo's underwhelming play this year. Got to get some goods beyond being, "intrigued by his shooting touch" that never really showed itself in games with any consistency whatsoever outside the paint.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Mark Williams

School: Duke
    Height w/ Shoes: 7-feet
    Height w/o Shoes: 7-foot-2
    Wingspan: 7-foot-6.5
    Position: C

Strengths
    +Dunks everything
    +Catches everything
    +Rim protection

Weaknesses
    -Shooting
    -Passing
    -Defensive mobility

You list him at 7'2 without shoes but with shoes he's 7ft. I'm assuming you made an error meant the opposite.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a better chance the Spurs take me at #9 than Mark Williams lasts to pick #20.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs rarely draft centers out of college, so it's difficult to have an idea of what they value, but I'd assume his inability to be a switchable defender would prevent them from taking him at 9. At 20 sure, roll the dice, however after the combine he won't last until then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You list him at 7'2 without shoes but with shoes he's 7ft. I'm assuming you made an error meant the opposite.
    Good catch. Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs rarely draft centers out of college, so it's difficult to have an idea of what they value, but I'd assume his inability to be a switchable defender would prevent them from taking him at 9. At 20 sure, roll the dice, however after the combine he won't last until then.
    His measurements pretty much made him a top 15 lock. Longer than Gobert with good hands, coordination and a reliable motor? Yeah, that's a lottery pick. If the Spurs want him, it'd have to be at 9 now. But, like you said, I'm not sure he's a fit for what the Spurs want.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you guys think the Spurs really are seriously considering him at number 9?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I rather the Spurs address the go-to scorer first, Keegan, Mathurin, Sharpe. I’d be okay if they trade 20 and 25 to get Williams at 15th, but they have to deal Poeltl and maybe get a pick in return to get Jovic at PF. And yes ideally I would just use the 38th pick for burn or a project big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hard pass for me. His only real plus is his size. Other than that there are huge questionmarks. I wouldn't want him nowhere near #9

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Errbody on this Duke team getting drafted and they somehow didn’t win it all!!
    I like Williams but the 9th pick feels like a reach for him.
    We do need size though. It is our number one team need imo, quickly followed by needing a go-to scorer.
    The only obvious go-to scorers in the draft are Banchero and Ivey and maybe Murray, who will be gone at 9, so do we roll the dice on “potential” or do we go for a big that we like? Hmmmm

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully this Williams rumor is just a smokescreen. Having said that, the Spurs seem to fall in love with a player and then get overly nervous that someone else will grab him. If they draft him, I have to assume there is a trade involving Yak that brings back a starting forward. But I wonder how much Williams would play his first year anyway. The Spurs almost never draft someone expecting them to contribute immediately.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully this Williams rumor is just a smokescreen. Having said that, the Spurs seem to fall in love with a player and then get overly nervous that someone else will grab him. If they draft him, I have to assume there is a trade involving Yak that brings back a starting forward. But I wonder how much Williams would play his first year anyway. The Spurs almost never draft someone expecting them to contribute immediately.
    If they trade Yak, Williams will be playing.

Thread Information