Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone please name the last low-skill, athleticism-reliant archetype center that was drafted out of the top 5 and went on to become a star.
    Adebayo then you have some guys like Jarret Allen, Robert Williams ( not stars for me). More than that if we look at last drafts, i don't see a lot of stars out of the top 5 : Haliburton two years ago, Herro in 2019 ? Shai in 2018 ..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just watched some more scouting reports on him. I think Williams would flourish very well under the Spurs' development staff. Things like making the right pass, not fouling and footwork are basic fundamental things in this franchise. He also seems to be a smart enough player where you can say that he's able to develop well in those areas. Defensively he seems to be a game changer. His length gives him the possibility to guard roll man and handler in the pick & roll and to contest shots on the perimeter even when players create separation. Not many bigs in the NBA can do that.

I think he'd be the target in the draft. Ideally the Spurs grab BPA at 9 and then try to trade up to draft Williams. Although there's a high chance that the Hornets draft him at 13.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what Duren would have looked like playing with four future NBA Draft picks at 20 years of age? Two of those btw that are also slated to go in the lottery and were considered top 5 picks for most of the season...

This is not to slander Mark Williams at all but he took a leap in his sop re season.
    He's clearly the better player right now, all things considered, but that could change quickly in a year or two.

I know there are schools of thought that would want a player who's NBA ready from the jump but G-League experience would really help a player like Duren.
    Playing against consistent physicality, improved spacing whilst refining the intangibles of the 'C' craft (screening, contesting without fouling etc). would do wonders for him.
    It also could lead to a big second half of the season contribution for the big ball club.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone please name the last low-skill, athleticism-reliant archetype center that was drafted out of the top 5 and went on to become a star.
    Artis Gilmore and Moses Malone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No matter where he gets drafted, at 7 foot plus he will be a difference maker on defense which this team could use. He would easily be as good if not better than our own back up centers.

I'm just thinking that at pick 9, the spurs want a starter. He might be a bit of a reach (less so than Primo) but I can see the interest. Artis Gilmore lite.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mark Williams was surrounded by elite shooters at Duke. He just stood under the basket and dunked when the defense overcommitted to those threats.

I think he's easy. I think he's soft. I think he smiles too much for no reason.

I wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mark Williams was surrounded by elite shooters at Duke. He just stood under the basket and dunked when the defense overcommitted to those threats.

I wouldn't say he's a bum. He strikes me as a guy who will be a 10-14 point player and will get you 10 rebounds a game. That's still pretty good in this league but obviously not a star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Why are you drafting him for offense? Lmao

Williams had two very poor defenders he had to clean up after constantly. Banchero is bad, Griffin is absolutely awful. Dude had to plug up a ty defense all the time and did pretty well.

Lol at your take

Thread Information