Page 68 of 115 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 2875
    notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Snakeboy whenever children die and it means he can “troll” the libs on SpursTalk

Me too, DJ. I miss nary ripe opportunity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said words matter when you have something to legislate. What goes into an actual law matters.

Here, we throw some ideas around, and nobody is expecting that to go into a law. When somebody says restrict to 10 bullets, does it really matters if it's a clip or a magazine? Are you really confused about what's being proposed?
    The history of gun laws clearly illustrates that these things do make it into the verbiage of the laws, else I'd have nothing to use as an example. I didn't just make up all these evil features I've been mentioning. Of course I know layman talk doesn't make it into law, but laymen are what congressmen are trying to appease, and if you think it's all been taken care of because of your ignorance, you'll likely feel appeased even if the gun lobby and manufacturers all know it's status quo.
    No it isn't. We're talking about enforcement of regulations. I brought up cars because they're also personal property, they're regulated and there's effective enforcement. Even license plate readers and computers on police cars are a relative novelty considering the lifetime of vehicles, yet people historically had no problem abiding by regulations.
    You're comparing apples to oranges. There was never a time in the life of that car when it wasn't required to be registered. No one is walking around displaying gun serial numbers for cops to see. The logistics behind registrations are not all the same. If vehicle inspections were done on a system of trust instead of a system of verify, how many cars would get inspected? How many people would pay hundreds to get that O2 sensor fixed? Pretty hard to conceal a car you're driving.
    The notion that we just shouldn't regulate because there's soooooo many weapons and it would be soooo inefficient or ineffective, flies in the face of that example.
    You can lampoon it, that's fine. It doesn't change the fact. Your example is for cars which are absolutely nothing like guns. Just because it's property you think they are the same, but they aren't. You can no sooner regulate untraceable things than you can regulate thoughts which are also property. All that can be done is a law, and laws that cannot be enforced are worthless. "Suicide is illegal!". Good luck with that.
    I don't think old weapons matter because in the worst case it's exactly what we have now, nothing. They're not consumables, but they are fungible. Gun sales haven't stopped nor are struggling. People do buy new guns, transact their old ones, sell them or pass them on. So maybe we won't make a dent on the old guns, but if we can make a dent going forward, let's do it.
    If the ROI isn't there, it's just a feel good measure. Sorry, I cannot buy into that. Might as well buy guns yourself and hope the guns you buy (and destroy) makes a dent in the overall gun population. People buy and sell guns, they don't replace their old guns with new ones. Gun sales are additional guns for the buyer, not replacement guns. They might trade for something they are interested in having, but they don't just get rid of old guns to get new ones. This is why the number keeps growing and is now at over 400 million.
    This shooter might've not been stopped by this, but there were other proposals, like not being able to purchase until you're 21, or even if he could purchase legally and pass a mental health examination, he shouldn't be able to have as many bullets, etc. Again, this isn't about a silver bullet (pun intended), it's about a comprehensive package that addresses a number of problems.
    It's mostly placebo stuff. Not trying to be a but that's just a fact. Adam Lanza didn't own the firearm he used, nor did the kid up north who took his dad's gun to school.
    Out of the examples I cited, none require a warrant. Car stops only require probable cause, airport searches are exempted from 4th protection, if you submit yourself to a frisk, you're waiving your right. Zero cases of infringement on the 4th there.
    What probable cause exists for a search simply because of a traffic stop? "I smell gun oil"? Airport searches? Who's carrying a gun through a security checkpoint?
    The 2nd amendment is more complicated because it largely depends on what the law looks like. My understanding is that unless the court deems a regulation as precluding your average citizen from owning a weapon (be it due to undue burden, equal protection, etc), then it's legal and enforceable.

But obviously this will go all the way up to the SCOTUS and we'll find out.
    If you're going to be that radical, just go for the ban. They both have about the same chance of ever seeing the light of day. With near half a billion guns in circulation, only a ban and confiscation would work. When you compare to other countries, why don't you consider they implemented that instead of reaching for placebo laws?
    I was merely responding to your argument that any law needs to be clear and concise. I cited the NFA as an example of such a law. Looks like the cats in DC got that one right. Glad we agree, you can probably stop worrying about that bit.
    The NFA has been revisited a number of times, and would likely need to be revisited here as well. Nothing wrong with that, happens all the time.
    It's been revised several times. I don't know that they got it right, per se. There weren't a rash of machine gun murders happening, people weren't being slaughtered by suppressed weapons or short barrel rifles and AOWs. They banned nothing as far as citizens are concerned, they just stuck a tax stamp on it (which at the time was crippling to people trying to survive) mostly to keep people from owning the guns and from shooting deer. You could buy a Thompson subgun with a drum magazine in a hardware store back then.
    If I'm citing er vs DC, a case where a regulation was deemed uncons utional, then it's pretty clear I'm aware of that. I'm not confused about what was said in er, I'm merely pointing out what the court said in that case, which I think it's relevant when we're discussing the boundaries of regulating the 2nd Amendment (which we clearly can do, as seen in other big hits like gun-free zones, FOPA, NFA, etc).
    Well, you're using age old arguments about "not absolute" and the next step in that argument is always "so why can't we...". These aren't new arguments.
    That sounds great, but when half of the power-that-be doesn't want to do anything, then nothing gets done. When it comes to this, nothing got done.
    That's how democracy works.
    The last time we had anything meaningful, it was enacted as an ATF rule without intervention from Congress, and we still don't know if it's going to stick at all. That's not how you get anything done, much less anything effective or meaningful.
    SCOTUS refused to hear the case.
    If you're just going to take the ball and go home, there's no game to be played, period.
    Force your way through. It could be done if you didn't have people in your ranks who weren't with the program.
    I didn't try to define the right. I'm simply stating that "Want to be left alone" hasn't worked. "Want to be left alone" is actually a deep, deep philosophical divide between conservatives and liberals, that goes beyond weapons (and probably beyond this conversation). It almost always fails outside of a rural setting. Once you're connected and what you do affects a large number of people, the "Want to be left alone" almost always invariably fails. IMO, this is a losing race for conservatives, as urbanization continues apace, demographics shift and we continue to move into a more connected world.
    You actually did. You said they care more about the NRA than about the actual guns. Again, you could be talking about officials, in which case you're probably right. You don't seem to define who you're talking about when you say "the right". There are plenty people who vote conservative who aren't members of the NRA, but still own guns. I get it that the narrative is so much easier if the caricatures are cleanly laid out, but RL doesn't work like that. It might be a losing race, but who wins? You've already acknowledged the left can't get done. Is the political landscape ripe for a third party with hybrid values?
    Of course it has, you've just said so above with the NFA. Nobody should expect the first version of any of these things to be perfect the first time around. They can always be revised.
    Sure and congress can always just vote majority needed to do away with any amendment. They've done it with certain ones. The odds are against it and I wouldn't wait around for it.
    The goal is to start somewhere. If you can't even get started and have a conversation, then there's nothing to talk about. It like a ing dogma.
    Who says it wasn't already started years ago. Why is it new every time we have an event?
    But the proposals here weren't just about guns. We talked about mental health as well, but when it comes to "mental health that might preclude you from owning a gun", then it's back to square zero. That's not "the left" doing that, BTW.
    But you said these things are distractions. Do you not agree that sensationalizing mass murder creates copycats looking for the moment? Is the 1st Amendment completely off the table?
    I just didn't think I needed to explain how our country works. Congress has easily the most amount of power, then the Executive and Judicial share some.
    Congress was in agreement that helping Ukraine was in the best interest of the US, so they passed a law approving all that help. One half of Congress doesn't think gun regulation can help, the other half does. Law doesn't pass, no help is coming.
    Same congress that won't consider passing gun laws. That's the point. If the gripe is the cost, you have to decide who's more important with the funds you have, them or us. They decided. Their pla udes ring hollow as their spending goes elsewhere.
    Money isn't an issue once Congress agrees on something. And unfortunately when it comes to this they do not. But should they come to an agreement, whatever that might look like, money is not going to be the obstacle here.
    These threads are a microcosm of just why they don't agree. "It's the guns, has to be the guns, we have to control guns more"... "no it's the way media sensationalizes murders, it's the upbringing, it's the lack of family values, it's the lack tribe - the loner since birth types" ... "If you take away the guns the other stuff doesn't matter" ... "But the 2A say we have a right to have guns... so look elsewhere" ... "You're just impossible, I'm going on break".
    But nobody is looking at 100% effectiveness in prevention. The fact that we are aware that this will happen again, makes it even more logical that you would at least try to reduce the damage from these incidents.
    There's no way to know damage has been reduced without a parallel universe where your change didn't happen. How many schools weren't shot up because of something the school put in place? There's no way to know. I cannot imagine anyone saying "yeah they shot up the place but the damage has been reduced". If there's even one dead kid, it will not be looked at as reduced damage.
    Even a 20% prevention rate and reduced damage in the other 80% would absolutely be meaningful.
    Also unmeasurable.
    It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Ukraine is a war zone, Uvalde, TX is not. The security expectations in both places are, objectively, diametrically different.
    In each instance gunmen entered uninvited and killed innocent people who are not combatants.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. None of this matters as long as conservatives don't want to play ball. And it's only going to hurt them in the long run. We've seen this with Obamacare as well.
    By addressing guns, right? Not the other distractions like factors the left wants to protect, like their right to capitalize on those deaths through ad revenue generated from plastering the information for days with every detail they can find, that's just capitalism. Freedom of the press!
    Once the Democrats had enough votes, they passed it, and then conservatives ed and moaned about it, but they're so devoid of ideas and the law proved to be popular enough, that once they had a majority to do something about it, they couldn't repeal it. They couldn't even agree how to reform it.

And instead of being part of the process, get some things they wanted in there, and get some of the credit for meaningful change, they completely fumbled it.
    You've only approached this multifaceted issue as a gun issue with a very brief jaunt into the mental illness arena. This is what the right sees from the left - opportunists who want to capitalize on the deaths of children to get legislation through to remove cons utional rights, but doing nothing to address underlying issues. I doubt people are sitting around in France thinking "man, if I could just get my hands on a gun I'd shoot all these kindergartners". There are some very different dynamics in this country where people want to grief society as much as possible, be it with a gun or any other instrument they can use, they get off on it.
    Not bull at all. Show me the last bill about mental health or any sort of gun regulation conservatives put on the floor. You just admitted as much above.
    This is left up to the states and AFAIK, every state has provisions to keep guns away from people who have been diagnosed as being mentally ill.
    If you just mean people you think are mentally ill, that's a problem because a person cannot be denied their rights through unsubstantiated claims. As it stands, TROs walk a fine line in that area.

States also have gun regulations. DC has many of the restrictions you suggest above, however the gun related fatalities per capita are almost 2x that of Texas. If these work, why don't they work in DC? (hint: it's not the gun)
    If Dems had the votes a lot of these things would be in place now, and conserva s would be like "repeal, repeal, repeal"... we've seen this movie before.
    Either way, this has devolved into just another party bashing thread plus it's too long.

Appreciate the back and forth.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Completely and utterly embarrassing failure of Texas law enforcement.

After Parkland, the protocal for responding to these shootings IN A SCHOOL
    was overhauled and every responding peace officer had a DUTY to engage immediately….

those 19 officers sitting for over an hour need to be fired/sued/prosecuted and never allowed to work anywhere near this field again.

NONE of those 19 used any kind of courage to disobey a stupid , unlawful order to sit and wait for backup.

ALL of them should have already gone thru intensive training in these scenarios and broken into that room and let bullets fly and disregard everything else/every self-preservation urge-

complete travesty/embarrassment. Shame for this state. The stain will never be erased.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Christian Dominionism is real. They need the guns to manifest God's will on earth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as you want to live under the UCMJ then fine. You also cannot have braids or kneel during the playing of the anthem. Want the water, don't want the wet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, and you lay out your plans for getting a meaningful gun control bill through congress.

1. Armed security at each school.
    2. Locked doors with entry clearance required.
    3. Doors must be reinforced and any glass must be bullet proof.
    4. Schools must be fenced and gated with clearance needed to enter the non school bus gates.
    5. Metal detectors and scanners for backpacks
    6. Routine checks by patrols even when schools have onsite armed security
    7. Classroom doors can only open from the inside sans key
    8. Blocking the door with an object causes the door alarm to sound, similar to airport restricted entry doors.
    9. Regular canine patrol to detect any explosive devices

All this can be done at the state level without need to have congress authorize it.
    What parent wants their kids going to school under these conditions? ing stupid and sick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What parent wants their kids going to school under these conditions? ing stupid and sick
    Probably those parents in Uvalde if they could go back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What parent wants their kids going to school under these conditions? Fkn sick
    an armed camp in a maximum security facility promotes learning and helps children feel safe, everybody knows that

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Just remember, daddy; this latest shooter was colored. Not white.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    an armed camp in a maximum security facility promotes learning and helps children feel safe, everybody knows that
    At least they leave upright.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's send them to a federal prison, they have all that already... nevermind that doesn't address mass shooting like in Vegas, for example.

Pathetic all around.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol

snowflake parents who ed and moaned about wearing a ing mask to contribute to the safety of others and ed and moaned and whined about teachers allowing their kids to learn the truth about amerikkkas history

are suddenly going to “suck it up” and allow their kids to be screened, searched, and inspected every day before entering/leaving a school?

hahahahahahaha!

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Just remember, daddy; this latest shooter was colored. Not white.
    Yeah but some of the cops there were white.

White = very bad. It's always whitey's fault no matter what it is.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    In Texas, to protect and serve means to deflect and swerve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Texas, to protect and serve means to deflect and swerve.
    cool joke

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Not a joke. It’s real.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The history of gun laws clearly illustrates that these things do make it into the verbiage of the laws, else I'd have nothing to use as an example. I didn't just make up all these evil features I've been mentioning. Of course I know layman talk doesn't make it into law, but laymen are what congressmen are trying to appease, and if you think it's all been taken care of because of your ignorance, you'll likely feel appeased even if the gun lobby and manufacturers all know it's status quo.
    This isn't a problem of gun ignorance or loopholes, and you didn't bring up any example of such thing making it into a law. You keep trying to move the conversation there and it's completely irrelevant. You're also too embarrassed to answer the question, because you and I both know the answer:

When somebody here says restrict to 10 bullets, does it really matters if it's a clip or a magazine? Are you really confused about what's being proposed?

You're comparing apples to oranges. There was never a time in the life of that car when it wasn't required to be registered. No one is walking around displaying gun serial numbers for cops to see. The logistics behind registrations are not all the same. If vehicle inspections were done on a system of trust instead of a system of verify, how many cars would get inspected? How many people would pay hundreds to get that O2 sensor fixed? Pretty hard to conceal a car you're driving.
    You can lampoon it, that's fine. It doesn't change the fact. Your example is for cars which are absolutely nothing like guns. Just because it's property you think they are the same, but they aren't. You can no sooner regulate untraceable things than you can regulate thoughts which are also property. All that can be done is a law, and laws that cannot be enforced are worthless. "Suicide is illegal!". Good luck with that.
    More baloney. There was a time where cars didn't need to have seatbelts, or airbags, or you were mandated to have insurance, etc. As previously noted, license plate readers and computers in police cars to do real-time checks on registrations and everything else didn't exist in 1886 when the first vehicle was invented. Seriously doubt (but can't prove) registration was required back then either. Yet, when regulation on all those things came about, the vast majority of people (and manufacturers) opted to to be remain lawful. This is a fact. Of course that includes inconveniences to them, including monetary, but doesn't preclude them from owning a vehicle.
    The only real difference is that unlike guns, owning a vehicle (which is not hindered in any way) is not codified as a right.

But besides that, unlike "thoughts", guns are tangible property that have no actual physical impediment to be tracked and traced. I'm proposing to do a voluntary inclusion into a registry going forward, via NFA or similar, instead of a compulsory one, because I understand the complexity of tracing older weapons. I'm mindful of the problem, and looking at a solution. You just don't want to look at the problem, and rather give up (as quickly as possible as well).

If the ROI isn't there, it's just a feel good measure. Sorry, I cannot buy into that. Might as well buy guns yourself and hope the guns you buy (and destroy) makes a dent in the overall gun population. People buy and sell guns, they don't replace their old guns with new ones. Gun sales are additional guns for the buyer, not replacement guns. They might trade for something they are interested in having, but they don't just get rid of old guns to get new ones. This is why the number keeps growing and is now at over 400 million.

It's mostly placebo stuff. Not trying to be a but that's just a fact. Adam Lanza didn't own the firearm he used, nor did the kid up north who took his dad's gun to school.
    This is silly. If this saves one life, it's worth it. This isn't an intractable problem, but there needs to be a will to address it. Giving up is not the answer.

What probable cause exists for a search simply because of a traffic stop? "I smell gun oil"? Airport searches? Who's carrying a gun through a security checkpoint?
    Whatever the many reasons why cops search a vehicle today. On average, 2% end up in a search. Police pull over more than 50,000 drivers on a typical day, more than 20 million motorists every year. (source).

Airports (there's plenty more, just a a sample):
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/26/u...n-airport.html
    https://www.tsa.gov/news/press/relea...ight-laguardia
    https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...d-gun-00014845

You can certainly tell me you think this won't be effective, that's fine.

[QUOTE=DMC;10746108]If you're going to be that radical, just go for the ban. They both have about the same chance of ever seeing the light of day. With near half a billion guns in circulation, only a ban and confiscation would work. When you compare to other countries, why don't you consider they implemented that instead of reaching for placebo laws?

No, a ban would actually be uncons utional, and indeed radical, and it's really the pipe dream of "the right" when it comes to "the left", and pretty much precluded since er. As far as other countries, depend on the country. This is Australia after 1996, for example: https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/12/6/365
    Norway has also a storied gun culture, yet they're successfully regulated and enforced: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firear...tion_in_Norway

None of those might fit with the US 1:1, but we could learn a thing or two of what worked for them, and see what can be applied here within the framework for the 2A.

It's been revised several times. I don't know that they got it right, per se. There weren't a rash of machine gun murders happening, people weren't being slaughtered by suppressed weapons or short barrel rifles and AOWs. They banned nothing as far as citizens are concerned, they just stuck a tax stamp on it (which at the time was crippling to people trying to survive) mostly to keep people from owning the guns and from shooting deer. You could buy a Thompson subgun with a drum magazine in a hardware store back then.
    But there's no ambiguity in the language, at least that's what you said (and I agree), so I guess that's not something to be worried about, which was your concern here.

That's how democracy works.
    That's ok, but then when it's pointed out that the reason we have no meaningful change in this area and the bodies keep piling up is largely due to "the right" in Congress, there shouldn't be any reason to be defensive about it (as seen ITT).

SCOTUS refused to hear the case.
    Which means the case continues in the lower courts, until it reaches the SCOTUS again provided everybody continues to appeal.

Force your way through. It could be done if you didn't have people in your ranks who weren't with the program.
    I rather build consensus. Because I do think that's the better way to proceed.

You actually did. You said they care more about the NRA than about the actual guns. Again, you could be talking about officials, in which case you're probably right. You don't seem to define who you're talking about when you say "the right". There are plenty people who vote conservative who aren't members of the NRA, but still own guns. I get it that the narrative is so much easier if the caricatures are cleanly laid out, but RL doesn't work like that. It might be a losing race, but who wins? You've already acknowledged the left can't get done. Is the political landscape ripe for a third party with hybrid values?
    Sure and congress can always just vote majority needed to do away with any amendment. They've done it with certain ones. The odds are against it and I wouldn't wait around for it.
    Oh that. I'm grossly generalizing like when you use the term "the left". You don't define that either. And yes, in that case I was specifically talking about politicos.

"The left" can't get it done with the current makeup, but that's not static. They've already got it done with slick willy back in the day, it's only a matter of time until they get it done again, and if they get it only 20% right, it'll be hard for "the right" to come up with reasons to go back.

Who says it wasn't already started years ago. Why is it new every time we have an event?
    Every event is a reminder on how things never get done, and the perennial long line of excuses from "the right" on why "nothing can be done about this".

But you said these things are distractions. Do you not agree that sensationalizing mass murder creates copycats looking for the moment? Is the 1st Amendment completely off the table?
    This is really your response to: But the proposals here weren't just about guns. We talked about mental health as well, but when it comes to "mental health that might preclude you from owning a gun", then it's back to square zero. That's not "the left" doing that, BTW.?

Mental health is a distraction? I said that? link?

Same congress that won't consider passing gun laws. That's the point. If the gripe is the cost, you have to decide who's more important with the funds you have, them or us. They decided. Their pla udes ring hollow as their spending goes elsewhere.
    Which then makes it correct to point out this indeed is a problem with "the right" in Congress. "The left" in Congress voted up assistance to "us". Would be nice if "the right" would also get onboard.

These threads are a microcosm of just why they don't agree. "It's the guns, has to be the guns, we have to control guns more"... "no it's the way media sensationalizes murders, it's the upbringing, it's the lack of family values, it's the lack tribe - the loner since birth types" ... "If you take away the guns the other stuff doesn't matter" ... "But the 2A say we have a right to have guns... so look elsewhere" ... "You're just impossible, I'm going on break".
    I agree it is a microcosm in the sense that "guns are off the table". That intransigent position is untenable in the long run while these events keep happening. It doesn't have to be just the guns, but guns have to be part of the conversation.

There's no way to know damage has been reduced without a parallel universe where your change didn't happen. How many schools weren't shot up because of something the school put in place? There's no way to know. I cannot imagine anyone saying "yeah they shot up the place but the damage has been reduced". If there's even one dead kid, it will not be looked at as reduced damage.

Also unmeasurable.
    False. We have historical statistical data to compare against. We use this to track the effectiveness of a lot of things? This is easily the poorest excuse.

In each instance gunmen entered uninvited and killed innocent people who are not combatants.
    Sure, which is a crime, and order was restored immediately after. Again, Uvalde, TX is not a war zone. Under that premise, everywhere where there's a crime it's a warzone, and that's just not true.

By addressing guns, right? Not the other distractions like factors the left wants to protect, like their right to capitalize on those deaths through ad revenue generated from plastering the information for days with every detail they can find, that's just capitalism. Freedom of the press!
    By addressing guns and everything that surrounds it, like mental health. The rest are indeed distractions. It's both media from "the left" and "the right" that evenly cover the news, but it's a cop-out. The media hasn't killed anybody.

You've only approached this multifaceted issue as a gun issue with a very brief jaunt into the mental illness arena. This is what the right sees from the left - opportunists who want to capitalize on the deaths of children to get legislation through to remove cons utional rights, but doing nothing to address underlying issues. I doubt people are sitting around in France thinking "man, if I could just get my hands on a gun I'd shoot all these kindergartners". There are some very different dynamics in this country where people want to grief society as much as possible, be it with a gun or any other instrument they can use, they get off on it.
    Because guns do matter, and we do have ample evidence that they do comparatively with other countries. You might doubt people are sitting around in France or anywhere thinking whatever, but they actually do, because they did have incidents like this (though rare), which drove further reforms.
    That's called actually recognizing a problem, and addressing it. The only thing the 2A guarantees as a right is that you can own weapons, period. As long as that right isn't infringed, there's no removal of any cons utional right.

This is left up to the states and AFAIK, every state has provisions to keep guns away from people who have been diagnosed as being mentally ill.
    If you just mean people you think are mentally ill, that's a problem because a person cannot be denied their rights through unsubstantiated claims. As it stands, TROs walk a fine line in that area.
    Well then, it's time to make a federal standard and enforce it, because this haphazard of regulations (like in Texas) clearly isn't working.
    So instead of continually coming up with excuses not to do anything, come down to the table and let's see what can get done.

States also have gun regulations. DC has many of the restrictions you suggest above, however the gun related fatalities per capita are almost 2x that of Texas. If these work, why don't they work in DC? (hint: it's not the gun)
    DC isn't a state, it's a district. When taken as a whole state, either via Virginia or Maryland, it's comparable with Texas. But here's the thing:

Firearm Mortality by State:
    Mississippi, Louisiana, Wyoming, Missouri, Alabama, Alaska, New Mexico, Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennessee, Montana, Oklahoma, Kentucky

Gun Ownership by State:
    Montana, Wyoming, Alaska, Idaho, West Virginia, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, South Dakota, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Louisiana, Tennessee

Guns are not the only problem, but they are part of the problem. They need to be part of any conversation when addressing this.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...ty/firearm.htm
    https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...rship-by-state

Either way, this has devolved into just another party bashing thread plus it's too long.

Appreciate the back and forth.
    Likewise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's send them to a federal prison, they have all that already... nevermind that doesn't address mass shooting like in Vegas, for example.

Pathetic all around.
    No one considers a military base to be a federal prison yet it has the same provisions I listed. Prisons keep people in, not out even though they can do both. So it's more important to have aesthetic value than to be secure? Is the WH a prison? You cannot just casually carry an AR-15 there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one considers a military base to be a federal prison yet it has the same provisions I listed. Prisons keep people in, not out even though they can do both. So it's more important to have aesthetic value than to be secure? Is the WH a prison? You cannot just casually carry an AR-15 there.
    Nobody considers a military base a civilian building either...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steve Kerr is sick and tired of Biden's America

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Steve Kerr is sick and tired of Biden's America
    Snakeboy whenever children die and it means he can “troll” the libs on SpursTalk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol

snowflake parents who ed and moaned about wearing a ing mask to contribute to the safety of others and ed and moaned and whined about teachers allowing their kids to learn the truth about amerikkkas history

are suddenly going to “suck it up” and allow their kids to be screened, searched, and inspected every day before entering/leaving a school?

hahahahahahaha!
    Yeah kid deaths are funny.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody considers a military base a civilian building either...
    Why does this matter?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Republicans stormed school board hearings like rabid hyenas over kids wearing masks but think turning schools into prisons is a reasonable option.

Thread Information