Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Either that kid is a Spurs fan or he’s wearing Spurs attire because the guy next to him, presumably his dad, is a Spurs staffer. Can anyone identify who that guy is? timvp ? This is at the same time the Jalen Williams video is happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To this day, my board is:
    9) Mathurin / Dyson Daniels / Sochan (whichever is available @ 9)
    20/25) Tari Eason / Ousmane Dieng / Jalen Williams / Blake Wesley / Nikola Jovic / EJ Liddell
    38) Procida / Minott / Kamagate / Koloko / PBJ / Terquavion Smith (Procida / Minott / Kamagate may be moved up to the 25 range if necessary)
    I realize a lot of the guys are likely to have been picked by the pick numbers. That's intentional, meaning take whomever falls to the range out of those guys.
    Of course we won't take on 4 rookies, but 2 for sure and I'm betting on 3... maybe 3 + 1 international. Also you'd have to make a balance between them, so avoid any combination that has too many redundant guys.
    Ideally I'm hoping for some combination like these (among others):
    Sochan + Jalen Williams + Blake Wesley + Procida (draft & stash)
    Dyson Daniels + Blake Wesley + Minott + Kamagate (draft & stash)
    don't reach and take whatever opportunity the board offers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that a Spurs logo?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It could be a slanted “LA”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It could be a slanted “LA”
    Could be? That's 1,000% a LA Clipper logo from their street series

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pick 20 & 25, anything goes tbh lol I wouldn’t look at any projected draft positions or anything like that to determine who the spurs might draft
    Yeah. People don't appreciate the power of those picks. Outside of the last few years, a pick at 20 or 25 was all Spurs fans had to look forward to. Every hope we placed in a young player for more than a decade came from guys drafted at or after those slots. So if we're supposed to think Murray and Johnson were such important picks, why are people so keen on getting rid of the chance to draft not just one of those guys, but two ... in addition to actually playing in the top-10 for the first time since Duncan? There's some real house money with those picks. Any of these guys we're talking about would have been the bee's knees to draft just five years ago. That was on a contending roster. On a team that lacks so much talent, dismissing first-round picks feels absurd.

If you trust the Spurs drafting and development team, trust that they went through the trouble of acquire extra firsts in this draft for a reason. If they didn't see talent in the 20s, they would not have made such an effort to get picks in that range in the first place.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs don’t select Mathurin, Daniels, or Sochan in that order then I don’t even know what they are doing anymore haha

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. People don't appreciate the power of those picks. Outside of the last few years, a pick at 20 or 25 was all Spurs fans had to look forward to. Every hope we placed in a young player for more than a decade came from guys drafted at or after those slots. So if we're supposed to think Murray and Johnson were such important picks, why are people so keen on getting rid of the chance to draft not just one of those guys, but two ... in addition to actually playing in the top-10 for the first time since Duncan? There's some real house money with those picks. Any of these guys we're talking about would have been the bee's knees to draft just five years ago. That was on a contending roster. On a team that lacks so much talent, dismissing first-round picks feels absurd.

If you trust the Spurs drafting and development team, trust that they went through the trouble of acquire extra firsts in this draft for a reason. If they didn't see talent in the 20s, they would not have made such an effort to get picks in that range in the first place.
    I totally agree this draft is not Star heavy but it is a lot deeper then people think and I think it’s a pretty good chance we could get two or even three starters from this draft - It may take a year or two for that happen but lots of talented players in the 20 to 25 range and even in the second round around 38 still has some decent talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW, I tried putting Banchero on the Spurs in NBA 2K22 and simulating a game with him in the starting lineup. It was a lot of fun making that pipe dream a reality, at least virtually.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

totally with this, a draft pick is golden for the spurs that's why i'm not on " they will not draft four guys". Imo they could stash one but if they don't have some good offers, i can see them drafting 4 guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After watching Josh Minott quite a bit, I think his best comps are

Shades of:
    Jaxson Hayes
    Onyeka Okongwu
    (Early) Bobby Portis
    Jaden McDaniels (defense-only)

Twin towers of Val + Jaxson Hayes killed us and other teams this past season.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 05-29-2022 at 07:20 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After watching Josh Minott quite a bit, I think his best comps are

Shades of:
    Jaxson Hayes
    Onyeka Okongwu
    (Early) Bobby Portis
    Jaden McDaniels (defense-only)

Twin towers of Val + Jaxson Hayes killed us and other teams this past season.

You think he's a inside guy ? i see him more like a SF. Don't get the comparaisons but maybe you can tell us why Hayes or Okongwu after watching him more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think he's a inside guy ? i see him more like a SF. Don't get the comparaisons but maybe you can tell us why Hayes or Okongwu after watching him more.
    Because he made like 0 shots away from the rim

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My 2 cents..

He's either a 4 or small ball 5... his shot wasn't good last season and if he can't shoot he slides over to the small ball 5 spot... if he can develop a good outside shot he'll slot into the 4 position and could have a pretty successful career there...it's a risk but, I think it's an acceptable risk with one of our last 2 picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My 2 cents..

He's either a 4 or small ball 5... his shot wasn't good last season and if he can't shoot he slides over to the small ball 5 spot... if he can develop a good outside shot he'll slot into the 4 position and could have a pretty successful career there...it's a risk but, I think it's an acceptable risk with one of our last 2 picks.
    There are exceptions to the rule here. If Minott is more Jaxson Hayes than Zach Collins, then he can play 4. He’s quick on defense which compensates for his lack of shooting. Defense is more important for playing the 4, contrary to what most believe. It’s why Sengun is a 5, not a 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also im not saying he will never develop an outside shot. Just saying he can play 4 without waiting to develop a shot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pre injury Zach Collins is actually another good comp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minott is one of the best lob threats in the draft without being restricted to only playing C. He’s a very versatile defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s my one quip about Keegan Murray. While he’s an excellent scorer inside, he’s not a lob threat. He doesn’t add a vertical dimension to our offense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are exceptions to the rule here. If Minott is more Jaxson Hayes than Zach Collins, then he can play 4. He’s quick on defense which compensates for his lack of shooting. Defense is more important for playing the 4, contrary to what most believe. It’s why Sengun is a 5, not a 4.
    I believe he is more naturally a 4 if you're looking at who he'd defend. I don't think that's enough to project him as a full-time 4 though. If he's one dimensional then he will be fine in certain situations but to project him out as a starting caliber 4 in the future he'd either have to become a good shooter from deep or have an exceptional amount of playmaking ability that I just don't see in him.

Note: I'm not saying you're projecting him as a starting caliber 4.... I'm saying that if I'm going to project him as that kind of player then I need to see those things develop in his game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe he is more naturally a 4 if you're looking at who he'd defend. I don't think that's enough to project him as a full-time 4 though. If he's one dimensional then he will be fine in certain situations but to project him out as a starting caliber 4 in the future he'd either have to become a good shooter from deep or have an exceptional amount of playmaking ability that I just don't see in him.

Note: I'm not saying you're projecting him as a starting caliber 4.... I'm saying that if I'm going to project him as that kind of player then I need to see those things develop in his game.
    I am with you. For him to be drafted, I think the Spurs have to see a lot of growing potential as they usually go for homerun picks this late in the first round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the record, Minott was on Assistant Coach Johnson’s team during the Combine Scrimmages. And it was the same game Brent Barry and Manu were shown on the stream

Minott had 11 pts and 8 rebs

he has had two interviews with the Spurs

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minott is a 4/3 defensively and a 5 offensively. He'd ideally be paired with a floor spacing rim protector.

I'd probably (would have to see how the draft is playing out before determining) prefer to consolidate, but obviously they shouldn't do so just because, so that's fair.

Not necessarily. They could (and probably did) do so just to have a myriad of options.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be anything more than a 5 offensively, the only skill a (currently) non-shooting player like Minott would have to deveiop is catch and shoot 3s. Because when you think about it, that’s the only skill Keegan has that allows him to play the 4 (on offense).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To this day, my board is:
    9) Mathurin / Dyson Daniels / Sochan (whichever is available @ 9)
    20/25) Tari Eason / Ousmane Dieng / Jalen Williams / Blake Wesley / Nikola Jovic / EJ Liddell

38) Procida / Minott / Kamagate / Koloko / PBJ / Terquavion Smith (Procida / Minott / Kamagate may be moved up to the 25 range if necessary)
    I realize a lot of the guys are likely to have been picked by the pick numbers. That's intentional, meaning take whomever falls to the range out of those guys.
    Of course we won't take on 4 rookies, but 2 for sure and I'm betting on 3... maybe 3 + 1 international. Also you'd have to make a balance between them, so avoid any combination that has too many redundant guys.
    Ideally I'm hoping for some combination like these (among others):
    Sochan + Jalen Williams + Blake Wesley + Procida (draft & stash)
    Dyson Daniels + Blake Wesley + Minott + Kamagate (draft & stash)
    don't reach and take whatever opportunity the board offers.
    This would be awesome but I'm really afraid of the possibility none of your guys at 20 (except for maybe Liddell or Jovic) are there for that pick, let alone 25. Might end up more like:

9) Mathurin/Daniels/Sochan/Eason/Dieng/Williams
    20) Porcida/Minott/Smith/Liddell/Jovic
    25) Porcida/Minott/Smith

Thread Information