View Poll Results: Jimmy Butlers final trey attempt. Good or Bad?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good shot attempt

6 40.00%
  • Bad shot attempt

9 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pros: Wide open, running start, time to get feet completely under him, only defender Al H 10 feet away and set. Made shot gives Heat 1 point lead.

Cons: Butler has sucked for 3 years straight at 24%, 23% for this season and 18% vs the Celtics this series.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much can go wrong when you're up against the clock at the end of a game so when you get a wide open shot like that you gotta take it. No problem whatsoever with Butler taking that shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad shot, that's not Jimmy's game. If the clock was winding down then I'd understand that shot selection. There was plenty of time left for Jimmy to look for a better shot, either for himself or a teammate.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    The way Boston was left scrambling on Defense, Butler likely gets a 3point play at the free throw line!

Isn't that the point of playing such a game at Home? You at worst tie the game and head on Defense with 15+ seconds remaining with the Crowd behind you. Road team shoots the 3.

Ultimately this is why Butler falls just short in these Elite conversations. What does 2019 Leonard do in that situation...

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the right shot to take, but it's not Butler's game, just like with Dwyane Wade or DeMar DeRozan...

If that was Chauncey Billups or Mike Bibby or Ray Allen or Manu or Curry, that's a different story.....

Tracy McGrady beat us with that same type of shot in 2004 in the 13 points in 33 seconds game. The main con aside from the fact it's out of Butler's range is that going up 1 point with that much time left is low value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could have driven to the basket, with a little dribble hesitation move

He clearly had a favorable mismatch, even though Horford has good lateral movement for a big

Sucks for Butler, he played his ass off during the playoffs, but it is what it is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the right shot to take, but it's not Butler's game, just like with Dwyane Wade or DeMar DeRozan...

If that was Chauncey Billups or Mike Bibby or Ray Allen or Manu or Curry, that's a different story.....

Good point
    I was thinking Butler had the favorable matchup but as you point out he is not known for being a 3 pt threat, and upon rewatching the play it looks like Horford gave him the 3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good point
    I was thinking Butler had the favorable matchup but as you point out he is not known for being a 3 pt threat, and upon rewatching the play it looks like Horford gave him the 3
    I mean, I would have taken that shot in the same spot without hesitation, but 5'8" 140 pound me is, in fact, a better 3 point shooter than Butler. (It's not much of an accomplishment to be better at threes than Butler or, say, Derozan.) No way would relatively little ole me be driving to the basket with Horford in front of me I'd be on my ass in no time begging the ref for a foul.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As Butler brought it up i was thinking NO, your 3 pt shooting his horrible.

But to have that wide open a shot for the lead and potential win by having to just plant and hoist......
    Hard to turn down.
    So while i do not fault Butler....

I still vote no.

Sidepoint Al H does hit Bultlers hand after the shot. I am 100 fine with the no call.
    If Stephie, Klanus or Donkey does that what is the call?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    You tie the game

Use the home crowd, <15 seconds remaining and choking pressure to your advantage

The 3 point attempt wasn't even a kill shot. They still find themselves in the same scenario as above but up1 instead of tie.

Butler should have gone for 2 even if the Celtics were up 3. Then you foul.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Bad shot. He's not a good 3pt shooter to begin with and he played all 48 minutes. His legs were likely dead.

Ideally he takes 55 year old Horford to the cup but he was too tired to even try. Just a bad possession all around. SMH

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tracy McGrady beat us with that same type of shot in 2004 in the 13 points in 33 seconds game. The main con aside from the fact it's out of Butler's range is that going up 1 point with that much time left is low value.
    Completely disagree. If Butler ties the game up Boston can just run out the clock and take the last shot and worst case they go to OT. Butler gives Miami a one point lead and Boston has to rush and take a shot with a few seconds still on the clock to give themselves an offensive rebound chance or chance to foul and take a three if they don't score.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Completely disagree. If Butler ties the game up Boston can just run out the clock and take the last shot and worst case they go to OT. Butler gives Miami a one point lead and Boston has to rush and take a shot with a few seconds still on the clock to give themselves an offensive rebound chance or chance to foul and take a three if they don't score.
    yeah, Miami put themselves in a bad spot being down by so much with so little time left. Even in a game 7 home game which should always be a win. Also where was that Celtics defensive rebound off the missed three in 6? Was a Timmy Duncan in the game or did his re ed coach forget that a defensive stop includes not only a missed shot but also a defensive rebound? /rant

It's a good shot if it's someone like Max Strus shooting it. Jimmy Butler is a lousy three point shooter. Yes, going up one is better than tying with all that time left, but Butler shooting anything near the rim, contested or not, is higher percentage than a Butler wide open three. Plus, Butler could get fouled, or draw a double team and kick it out to a better shooter or a cutter for an open layup or dunk.

Tying the score with the other team being able to kill the clock for the last shot is never ideal, but at least teams are more conservative on offense in such situations. They often wait until the last second, iso and take a poor-percentage stepback jumper. Look at what Damian Lillard had to shoot in such a situation against OKC in 2019. Yeah he made it, but it's a lousy shot nonetheless. Whereas when you're up 1, the other team on offense is going to look to attack the basket early and aggressively, and the chance of getting a defensive stop without fouling or giving up the offensive rebound in that situation is 50/50 at best while your chances of getting to OT with a tied dead-shot clock situation is at least 70%.

If Stephie, Klanus or Donkey does that what is the call?
    Foul, three shots every time; but Donkey, really? Since when does Donkey shoot open threes? He makes Spurs-era Boris Diaw look like a three point chucker by comparison sometimes,

Bad shot. He's not a good 3pt shooter to begin with and he played all 48 minutes. His legs were likely dead.

Ideally he takes 55 year old Horford to the cup but he was too tired to even try. Just a bad possession all around. SMH
    Bingo. Even the best of shooters would have short-armed that type of shot if they'd played all 48 ing minutes. It wasn't in-and-out. It was very short and honestly was lucky to hit the rim.

You tie the game

Use the home crowd, <15 seconds remaining and choking pressure to your advantage

The 3 point attempt wasn't even a kill shot. They still find themselves in the same scenario as above but up1 instead of tie.

Butler should have gone for 2 even if the Celtics were up 3. Then you foul.
    Agree with this post. Given Horford's position there was a chance he would foul and Butler could have gotten an and-one out of it as well.

As for the bolded part, that's absolutely correct. Very difficult, especially on the road, to score tied in that kind of situation. You want to take the very last shot at the buzzer so you don't have a chance at an offensive rebound but the other team doesn't have a chance at a defensive board as well (yes, Rasheed Wallace should have got called for a technical in 2005 Game 5 with 0.3 to play and calling timeout with no timeouts, but it's whatevs)... & teams are very conservative in that type of situation, especially on the road. It's generally an isolation and some sort of stepback fadeaway. Low percentage shot.
    Last edited by Millennial_Messiah; 05-30-2022 at 05:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he makes it he's a hero. I'm good with that shot with 15 to go IF they don't have a timeout. Even if he makes it Celts have time to score and win. It's good he trusts himself to go for it. They aren't there without him. Anything can happen so wide open look? Take it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You really didn't want the Celts in the Finals

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Butler gives Miami a one point lead and Boston has to rush and take a shot with a few seconds still on the clock
    Butler horked the ball with 17 seconds left. So if he had hit, Boston has a relatively comfy 15 seconds to work ish.

This Heat possession appears to be about 50/50 with no absolute right or wrong in the Butler trey attempt.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    I'm ok with the shot. Sure, attacking the basket might have been preferable. But I don't think it's a one is right, one is wrong situation. I think in that situation with Horford back pedaling, Jimmy got a pretty good look.

There are a bunch of ways things could have turned out. Heat were down so either way, when you're down and season on the line, under 20 seconds, you try to score as soon as you can. But if he ties the game, as someone already mentioned, Celtics dribble the game clock out for the final shot. At least up 1, you force the C's to also go early, and maybe then you have the last shot.

Jimmy's not a great three point shooter, but it's not like he's not capable. He doesn't take many now and I'm guessing a lot of his threes during the season is when the shot clock is winding down and he's forcing those threes to beat the clock. When he was a higher volume three point shooter in previous seasons, he shot 35% plus. He's capable. And he's the one guy on the Heat that showed up those last couple games.

I'm fine with the shot. And I like Jimmy's mentality and stones to take it. Took balls to take that shot.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    seems like a bad shot to me in that situation. At home, Celtics choking, and Horford was backpedaling anyway so you could've gotten closer and hit a much more makeable mid-range shot in that situation to tie the game and completely swing the momentum. Even though Butler played great overall this postseason, that's a classic hero ball shot. As a Mavs fan, I would've been pissed if Dirk or Luka would've taken that shot in that situation and they are clearly better 3 pt shooters than Butler. With a big in 'backpedal' mode like that, the only guy in the league I'd want taking that shot is Curry

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't even have his feet set. Automatically a bad shot if you're rushing it.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    if he was a good shooter I understand, but he isn't

but regardless even Steph, dame or Trae (probably the three best ever at that kind of shot) I think would work for a better shot, especially down two

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    He didn't even have his feet set. Automatically a bad shot if you're rushing it.
    I think that's a stronger point than the criticism of the shot selection. If he had actually stopped, squared up, and shot a normal three, it wouldn't have seemed as bad. But he did not set himself or really slow down to shoot it with better form, and he leaned in hard.

I know people are arguing the shot selection because his three point percentage ulatively during the season is low. But he's not a terrible three point shooter in general. I attribute it more to him being a low volume three point shooter and likely many of those attempts are shot clock forces. Idk that for a fact. That's just an assumption. He's a capable three point shooter. Showed it in game 6. I really don't have a huge issue with him taking it.

Him doing a better job to shoot it with form and rhythm is a better criticism though.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    bad percentage play but he played all 48 minutes and his legs were probably cooked and he wanted no part of overtime

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He had so much space, he almost had no choice but to take the shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Him doing a better job to shoot it with form and rhythm is a better criticism though.
    Seemed like Butler himself did not want to take the trey, but as he crossed half court and Al H. continued back, Butler was like I've got to attempt this.

bad percentage play but he played all 48 minutes and his legs were probably cooked and he wanted no part of overtime
    Hear you. But think that is terrible reasoning that seems to happen in all sports.
    As if a 100% fresh sub off the bench is not better then a 60% gassed star.

Thread Information