Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    France
    Post Count
    The odds will always favour them: it's Argentina and Brazil vs 6 or 7 countries from Europe that can win it, but that's a matter of quan y, not about the quality of play being on another level.
    that's the point.
    Argentina won 2 WC same as France, 1 one less that west Germany, 2 less than Italy. Italy size is not twice the size of Argentina
    Brazil won 5 with twice the size of Germany 4

wtf is that argument of quan y

So qualifier in Europe is easier but Arg and Brazil never lost a qualifier ok
    Last edited by Brazil; 06-13-2022 at 09:10 AM.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Also lol @ only the first one in the group qualifies. Second teams go to a playoff, and even some third place teams can qualify via the Nation's League.
    there is no way this discussion can be done without everybody not reading what has been posted tbh... I have already addressed that, 13 teams in Europe qualify on a pool of 55 vs 4 on a pool of 10. We remove the clearly worst teams than Venezuela, Ecuador and Bolivia, that's still lower off than 40%.

Now let's go on your boat considering that the 22 teams you listed are worst than Venezuela, Ecuador and Bolivia.. that's 13 over 33, 40% still worst than South America that is with 40% and a chance at 50%.

Then one can and should argue that among those 22 some are better than Venezuela for instance.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Plus both teams cheated , respectively in 78 and 98 tbh

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    there is no way this discussion can be done without everybody not reading what has been posted tbh... I have already addressed that, 13 teams in Europe qualify on a pool of 55 vs 4 on a pool of 10. We remove the clearly worst teams than Venezuela, Ecuador and Bolivia, that's still lower off than 40%.

Now let's go on your boat considering that the 22 teams you listed are worst than Venezuela, Ecuador and Bolivia.. that's 13 over 33, 40% still worst than South America that is with 40% and a chance at 50%.

Then one can and should argue that among those 22 some are better than Venezuela for instance.
    Its gotta be advertising money on TV.
    Concacaf also gets 4 just to try and make sure the US and Mexico get in.
    South America will definitely view, but if you have an add for some fancy time piece that goes on a wrist who is most likely to buy...
    You own a company advertising fancy stuff, you want your $ well spent.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    that's the point.
    Argentina won 2 WC same as France, 1 one less that west Germany, 2 less than Italy. Italy size is not twice the size of Argentina
    Brazil won 5 with twice the size of Germany 4

wtf is that argument of quan y

So qualifier in Europe is easier but Arg and Brazil never lost a qualifier ok
    Argentina did lose a qualifier once. Brazil never missed the WC, but they wouldn't miss the WC on Europe either. Just like Germany never did.

And yes, the qualifiers in Europe are way easier. You can go an entire qualifier without facing a quality opponent. A "tough" group in an Euro qualifier consists of one good opponent, one medium, and a bunch of amateur level ones.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Argentina did lose a qualifier once. Brazil never missed the WC, but they wouldn't miss the WC on Europe either. Just like Germany never did.
    forgot about dat one, I read it was a one month qualifier with no home and away formula. Again Argentina would not have lost a qualifier over 3 years in this pool of 10.

And yes, the qualifiers in Europe are way easier. You can go an entire qualifier without facing a quality opponent. A "tough" group in an Euro qualifier consists of one good opponent, one medium, and a bunch of amateur level ones.
    No the qualifiers in Europe are not way easier and indeed way harder.

Also you take this qualifier for this WC following the one good one medium logic but look at 2018 WC qualifier... group A France / Netherlands / Sweden group G Spain / Italy and you can go on on 2014 qualifier and before.
    A miss step in South America qualifier in this format is impossible for Arg and Brazil when 1/2 can qualify in a group of 10. A miss step in Europe can happen when you have groups of 2 top teams and a strong medium, it happens all the time. Look at France for 2014 WC.. finished second to Spain and had to go to a tricky elimination game against Ukraine we almost lost. way easier

you guys are making no sense

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    forgot about dat one, I read it was a one month qualifier with no home and away formula. Again Argentina would not have lost a qualifier over 3 years in this pool of 10.

Also you take this qualifier for this WC following the one good one medium logic but look at 2018 WC qualifier... group A France / Netherlands / Sweden group G Spain / Italy and you can go on on 2014 qualifier and before.
    A miss step in South America qualifier in this format is impossible for Arg and Brazil when 1/2 can qualify in a group of 10. A miss step in Europe can happen when you have groups of 2 top teams and a strong medium, it happens all the time. Look at France for 2014 WC.. finished second to Spain and had to go to a tricky elimination game against Ukraine we almost lost. way easier

The problem you seem to have on this discussion is making a distinction between "level of play/difficulty" and format. It has already been established, by all parts, that the European format sucks ass, but that's not what we're arguing here. Here we are arguing level of play. And, sorry, but when 70% of the qualifying games are played vs semi-amateur teams that you know you have no chance of losing to, those qualifiers aren't "difficult".

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count

The problem you seem to have on this discussion is making a distinction between "level of play/difficulty" and format. It has already been established, by all parts, that the European format sucks ass, but that's not what we're arguing here. Here we are arguing level of play. And, sorry, but when 70% of the qualifying games are played vs semi-amateur teams that you know you have no chance of losing to, those qualifiers aren't "difficult".

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    I stated right at the beginning that's I was not discussing the level of difficulty in regards of general opposition or al ude or infrastructure, discussion is about is it harder or easier to qualify meaning how likely it is to miss the WC. In that regard Europe is harder for all the reasons I mentioned. Playing against Andorra is obviously easier for a top team that playing even against Venezuela but getting out of a group of 6 when you must finish first or go through elimination games is harder that getting out of a group of 1 out 2 is qualified for any top team in the world. Italy would have qualified in that format.

group A and G of 2018 WC are example of that, like France group for 2014 WC. This qualifier tho no big team has any excuse to not have gone through.. therefore the Italy. On a side note, I would have hated to be in that Italy group, Switzerland is a pain historically for France. If you are an argie or brazilian fan, qualifiers are no reasons to sweat, for an european fan you always are concerned about falling in a death pool knowing you need to finish first to not end in a tricky elimination game.

Imagine being Argentina getting Brazil in your group, just one get to qualify, the second needs to win in an elimination against the equivalent of Portugal.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count

you continue to ignore and neglect that the compe ion in both cases is different, and this is why you're not comparing apples to apples.

At least 10 of the 13 teams in Europe don't ever face top tier compe ion to qualify, while the 4 in South America have to face everybody. That intrinsically gives the top European teams much better odds to qualify.

You can keep throwing percentages around, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    If you really want to do percentages based on the actual compe ion teams have to face to qualify, in Europe every team starts with a 20% chance to qualify (5 teams per group) or 17% (6 teams per group).

In South America, it's 10% (10 teams, everybody against everybody).

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    If you really want to do percentages based on the actual compe ion teams have to face to qualify, in Europe every team starts with a 20% chance to qualify (5 teams per group) or 17% (6 teams per group).

In South America, it's 10% (10 teams, everybody against everybody).
    not working like that you have 4 spots to qualify in south america that's 40% it does not matter if you are first or fourth 10% would be if only one team qualify

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    not working like that you have 4 spots to qualify in south america that's 40% it does not matter if you are first or fourth 10% would be if only one team qualify
    No, this is what are the actual odds every team has against their compe ion when qualification starts. Everybody starts with the same odds (except in Europe, where the group size can affect it).

Are we in agreement that every team technically starts off with the same odds when the compe ion starts (barring that 5/6 group size?). Obviously, the level of teams is different on paper, but when the compe ion starts, everybody is afforded the same odds to make it. Agree?

The fact that every team in South America has to best another 9 teams, makes it 10%.

The fact that every team in Europe has to best another 4 or 5 teams, makes it 20%-17%.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    No, this is what are the actual odds every team has against their compe ion when qualification starts. Everybody starts with the same odds (except in Europe, where the group size can affect it).

Are we in agreement that every team technically starts off with the same odds when the compe ion starts (barring that 5/6 group size?). Obviously, the level of teams is different on paper, but when the compe ion starts, everybody is afforded the same odds to make it. Agree?

The fact that every team in South America has to best another 9 teams, makes it 10%.

The fact that every team in Europe has to best another 4 or 5 teams, makes it 20%-17%.
    no nono, in south america you don't have to best than another 9 teams, you have to be among best 4.

take a bag, you have white and dark balls, in Europe you have 1 white 5 blacks, in south america you have 4 whites and 6 blacks. if you have to draw a white, you rather pick Europe or South America bag ? you have simply better odds to qualify in SA.

This is when all balls are equal obviously which is not the case but we already went through that.

on another news, FNT starts to worry me even though that team against Croatia was more of a c team than a b team. Only players in that roster that should go to WC are Maignan, Kimpembe, Tchou and Nkunku.. the rest is from meh to pure trash

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    no nono, in south america you don't have to best than another 9 teams, you have to be among best 4.

take a bag, you have white and dark balls, in Europe you have 1 white 5 blacks, in south america you have 4 whites and 6 blacks. if you have to draw a white, you rather pick Europe or South America bag ? you have simply better odds to qualify in SA.

This is when all balls are equal obviously which is not the case but we already went through that.

on another news, FNT starts to worry me even though that team against Croatia was more of a c team than a b team. Only players in that roster that should go to WC are Maignan, Kimpembe, Tchou and Nkunku.. the rest is from meh to pure trash
    Maignan is the best GK in the World imo
    Lloris will probably retire from the NT after the WC and Maignan will take the #1 spot

You shouldn’t be worried ahead of the WC, DD is trying different combos, some work and some just don’t

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    > Maignan, Kimpembe, Tchou and Nkunku

Very French names

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    England and lol Italy. Although Italy was at least playing with the subs and against Germany.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count

Very French names
    There’s a French say: “Africa stats at the Pyrenees”.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    There was a time when it was improbable Venezuela would take points from other teams, but they eventually improved a lot. Ecuador is average and plays in Quito, Bolivia plays in La Paz and has qualified for WC before, that’s high al ude even Brazil got to lose points there.
    Last edited by dunkman; 06-15-2022 at 09:48 AM.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count

Let's take your own example: All balls have the same color before you pick a ball out of the bag (they all start with zero points and play the same amount of games). What odds each ball has before you draw? In the bag with 6 balls, it's 17%. In the bag with 10 balls, it's 10%.

But, in reality, half the groups are really 5 teams, so they start off with a 20% odds. On top of that, a little less than half the team are absolute garbage (at the very least one per group), which means the odds, in effect, are 25% or more.

You can't do that math in SA. Perhaps with the exception of Venezuela, everybody plays everybody and are decent teams. You can argue that Argentina and Brazil are a notch above right now, but that's not always been the case.

France will show up to the world cup.

My Team
    France
    Post Count

Very French names
    Maignan is actually a very French name but we all know that you remarks are about skin colors not actual names you pos you

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Let's take your own example: All balls have the same color before you pick a ball out of the bag (they all start with zero points and play the same amount of games). What odds each ball has before you draw? In the bag with 6 balls, it's 17%. In the bag with 10 balls, it's 10%.

But, in reality, half the groups are really 5 teams, so they start off with a 20% odds. On top of that, a little less than half the team are absolute garbage (at the very least one per group), which means the odds, in effect, are 25% or more.

You can't do that math in SA. Perhaps with the exception of Venezuela, everybody plays everybody and are decent teams. You can argue that Argentina and Brazil are a notch above right now, but that's not always been the case.
    Statistics don't seem to be your forte my example is representative of the reality, 1 qualified out of 5 or 6 = 1 white 5 blacks, south america is 4 out of 10 = 4 whites 6 blacks. Your example is 1 qualified over a pool of 5 or 6 and 1 over a pool of 10 not the situation at hand for both qualifiers. 1 out of 5 is lower odds than 4 out of 10.. really quite simple and basic but you have other qualities

France will show up to the world cup.
    nice jinx

one also said that about Germany in 2018

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Statistics don't seem to be your forte my example is representative of the reality, 1 qualified out of 5 or 6 = 1 white 5 blacks, south america is 4 out of 10 = 4 whites 6 blacks. Your example is 1 qualified over a pool of 5 or 6 and 1 over a pool of 10 not the situation at hand for both qualifiers. 1 out of 5 is lower odds than 4 out of 10.. really quite simple and basic but you have other qualities

nice jinx

Whoever said that about Germany in 2018 is ing stupid tbh

Nah I think France will be fine tbh

Old Drunk Paysanne Face is experimenting with different lineups and formations - Justin Trudeau as a LM lol - but he won't do that in the WC, don't worry

Not trying to jinx with this post tbh

My team on my profile is an attempt though

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    Maignan is actually a very French name but we all know that you remarks are about skin colors not actual names you pos you
    Haha when are the French gonna stop robbing these poor nations of their human resources

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    I work with statistics all day, tbh, math is actually one of my strengths. The problem here is that we're talking about two different things. As a matter of fact, if we were to take statistics more seriously, you would need to account for the number of games each team has to play, since they're spaced out, and teams that play more games have higher odds of having things like injured players, etc. But, I'll agree to disagree on this one.

nice jinx

Or Spain the time before that. But generally speaking, if they're going to relax because they're the champs, they can do that in the group stage. I think they'll be sharp when it matters.

Thread Information