Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All this talk about BBIQ makes me wonder where Keldon ranked on BBIQ coming in as a rookie? Bull in a china shop maybe??? Clueless about the on-court situation of other players??? At any rate, although I'm not a fan of his, I will stipulate that he has improved his BBIQ SOME since becoming a starter, probably due to coaching.

I still believe that there is something to be said for an athletically skilled player who plays mostly on instinct as opposed to a cerebral player who analyzes the game situation and acts. Of course there are some who are a little slow with their analysis and miss the high IQ play. This is a game of inches and split seconds. We have seen a few players who seem to get the idea but are just a split second or two late in executiing while an instinctive player just makes the play instantly.

While it would be great to have a player who could discuss the finer points of Xs and Os and what he would/should do in a certain situation if it came up with a scout or coach off the court, he wouldn't be my top pick over a guy who can simply execute his skill-set without being able to discuss why he thought his opponent was slightly out of position and he could take him. You just "know" that you can make the steal or whatever and do it without thinking, eh?
    Solid points. Is Eason reckless? It seems so. But he’s definitely instinctual. If his instincts are more helpful than not, I think he could make it work here. The problem is our coaching approach is often so memorized and mechanical, it befuddles most players. Even on the Olympic team, the players seemed to push back, though that could be for other reasons as well.

I suppose I’d rather for a player with instincts to learn the finer points than start with a complete blank slate and expect to teach them motivation (looking at you Walker, unfortunately).

I’m back on Team Tari.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Solid points. Is Eason reckless? It seems so. But he’s definitely instinctual. If his instincts are more helpful than not, I think he could make it work here. The problem is our coaching approach is often so memorized and mechanical, it befuddles most players. Even on the Olympic team, the players seemed to push back, though that could be for other reasons as well.

I suppose I’d rather for a player with instincts to learn the finer points than start with a complete blank slate and expect to teach them motivation (looking at you Walker, unfortunately).

I’m back on Team Tari.
    But I’m Tari. That’s what I do….

Personally if his drive is to win, I have no problem with that, and I don’t think neither would Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But I’m Tari. That’s what I do….

Personally if his drive is to win, I have no problem with that, and I don’t think neither would Pop.
    Yeah, it will be interesting. An idea I've been thinking about is which type of player will do best under Pop. For example, most people see Mathurin as a more talented, higher ceiling player than Davis, and probably true, but I think Davis would be a better fit with Pop due to playing better defense and having a better understanding of basketball. As for Eason, it could go a few different directions. The direction I hope is that Eason is so effective when he plays (at least defensively), that Pop finds a way to make it work. Like, when Eason plays his problems seem to be from being overly aggressive and not having certain needed skills (like a functioning left hand and proper shooting mechanics), rather than being specifically clueless or an airhead, despite what these rumors are saying. It's the silly season and lots of narratives are going to get floated around and GMs are too happy to feed stories to journalists to get them in a story.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Pelton's final stats only ratings, Eason still sits 5th. The only change in the top nine is the removal of Zach Edey at 6, everybody else here moving up a spot.

1 Holmgren, Chet
    2 Kessler, Walker
    3 Griffin, AJ
    4 Murray, Keegan
    5 Eason, Tari
    6 Daniels, Dyson
    7 Smith, Jabari
    8 Jeremy Sochan
    9 Mathurin, Ben

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Pelton's final stats only ratings, Eason still sits 5th. The only change in the top nine is the removal of Zach Edey at 6, everybody else here moving up a spot.

1 Holmgren, Chet
    2 Kessler, Walker
    3 Griffin, AJ
    4 Murray, Keegan
    5 Eason, Tari
    6 Daniels, Dyson
    7 Smith, Jabari
    8 Jeremy Sochan
    9 Mathurin, Ben
    That's an interesting list. Kessler seems like the obvious outlier, but then with Eason, depending on one's view of him, this list either confirms you're belief in him or makes you question this list, I suppose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's an interesting list. Kessler seems like the obvious outlier, but then with Eason, depending on one's view of him, this list either confirms you're belief in him or makes you question this list, I suppose.
    Kessler's stats are pretty crazy. His block rate was nearly 20% and then he added a fairly high steal rate, too. The monster issue, of course, is his defense in space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of his turnovers were offensive fouls -- charges. He's basically a bull in the china shop. He barrels into the lane and is prone to plowing over defenders.
    Does that sound like Keldon Johnson to anyone here? He toned it down toward the end of the year, no doubt because the coaches kept yanking him out of the game and sitting him on the bench to reflect on his sins. He also had some serious passing problems when barreling into the lane. Eason looks much better in such situations because he's taller and can use that huge wingspan/hands to help make more accurate passes.

Eason is going to become a good scorer. He shows flashes now of what an offensive threat he can be. Add some credit for his defense and he is probably the ONLY forward we can draft that has high ceilings on both ends of the court.

Perfect? No but there aren't any perfect two way players in this draft. Some good ones; probably some future All-stars, but not many with two-way potential. I'm down to these three for our 9: Eason, J Williams, and Duren. If we wound up with all 3 it would be called the Spurs' Miracle Draft of 2022.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of his turnovers were offensive fouls -- charges. He's basically a bull in the china shop. He barrels into the lane and is prone to plowing over defenders.
    <br>
    <br>Does that sound like Keldon Johnson to anyone here? He toned it down toward the end of the year, no doubt because the coaches kept yanking him out of the game and sitting him on the bench to reflect on his sins. He also had some serious passing problems when barreling into the lane. Eason looks much better in such situations because he's taller and can use that huge wingspan/hands to help make more accurate passes.&nbsp;<br><br>Eason is going to become a good scorer. He shows flashes now of what an offensive threat he can be. Add some credit for his defense and he is probably the ONLY forward we can draft that has high ceilings on both ends of the court.<br><br> Perfect? No but there aren't any perfect two way players in this draft. Some good ones; probably some future All-stars, but not many with two-way potential. I'm down to these three for our 9: Eason, J Williams, and Duren. If we wound up with all 3 it would be called the Spurs' Miracle Draft of 2022.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not mad at how we drafted but he will probably have a better year 1 than all of our 3 rookies combined.I was hoping he’d drop to 20 but I’m okay with Branham.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m happy with who we drafted. I think Spurs checked-off list that they need. Defensive big who can pass and create, a goto scorer with silky shots, and Blake is just a bonis and who might have the highest ceiling with his alpha, peerless at ude.

Nah I’m okay with what we have. And they seem to have great chemistry, which is suspect with Tari in the locker room.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think Eason would've been a more seamless fit with the young guys the Spurs had on the team, with or without Murray. You gotta be patient with the comparisons, though. I remember how many people retroactively wanted McCaw over Murray in 2016 or who wanted Bell in 2017. I'm not even throwing shade here. I wanted Bell a lot, and while I never cared about McCaw, I did prefer Brogdan, who was better for a while but never stayed healthy and wouldn't've drawn nearly the same trade package. Let's hope Sochan is another guy like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eason probs going to start at the 3 for Rockets. He has solid size for a wing @6’7 with a 7’2 wingspan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    still happy with sochan, tbh. and, hey, the better eason is, the better the rockets record is-which is fine for this season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is solid; his intangibles are off the chart. Give him some time for development in our system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted both. I thought Eason was better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like a little bit of a gamble
    Perfect at mid teens. 16 teams passed on him for some reason.

The draft is always interesting. Really have to wait a few years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We didn't draft, he's not a spur, there was no need to bump this

Thread Information