Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    150 points in regulation by a team of g-leaguers.
    players successfully missing free throws, rebound and scores to tie the game at the last second (or not score to preserve a win). Happened three times this week alone, two by the same player (doncic). Players so skilled and yet can’t even box out the free throw shooter.
    Last edited by ambchang; 01-03-2023 at 10:58 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Booker and Mitc now getting 70 points. Since wilt had his last 70 point game in 1963, We have three 70 point games in 54 years with them being at least 12 years apart from each other, then we have two in 5 years.

We had one season with a triple double average, then didn’t see one in like 60 years until we had westbrook doing it four times, with harden, jokic and doncic all coming very close to doing it in the last few seasons.

But the narrative is that todays nba players are so much more skilled instead of stats being ridiculously inflated due to rule changes and increased pace.
    It's a combination of both obviously, but yeah the stats from this era are kind of a joke. Definitely in the past they should have realized how valuable the 3 ball is and taken it more, emphasized it more in training and maybe some of older guys would have even better stats but if many of the old stars were playing today they would be killing it completely stat wise with these rules

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another 50 point game tonight

tdays nba
    Amazing tbh, today’s NBA is so talented it’s amazing
    Best NBA ever

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    150 points in regulation by a team of g-leaguers.
    players successfully missing free throws, rebound and scores to tie the game at the last second (or not score to preserve a win). Happened three times this week alone, two by the same player (doncic). Players so skilled and yet can’t even box out the free throw shooter.
    the Lakers dropped 141 points on the Celtics

in the NBA Finals

yesterday’s NBA

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I don’t buy an argument suggesting it’s merely rules changes and pace of play that has led to the offensive explosion in recent years. That’s a naively simplistic and incomplete late way of looking at it. Are they part of it? Sure, I could agree to that. But hardly the only reasons.

First, there haven’t been any significant rules changes helping offense in nearly two decades. Defensive three seconds, the change in defensive hand checking, and the restricted half circle for charge calls all were implemented late 90s, early to mid 2000s. It’s not like overall league offensive output suddenly exploded in the mid to late 2000s. In fact, that’s when teams like the Pistons and Spurs had some of the most ridiculous team defensive seasons ever. You want to argue officiating has interpreted defensive rules to the advantage of offense over the past decade, that might be a fair point. But officiating has catered to star and superstar offensive players since Jordan if not before him. And that’s not rules changes anyway. It’s interpretation of the rules.

Pace of play absolutely plays a part in more offense. But we’ve seen offenses of the past play like that, in Phoenix and Denver and Sacramento in the 80s and 90s, even to the detriment of team defense. It’s been done before. It just hasn’t been as league wide before. But sure, it’s a part of it.

The three point shot and small ball line-ups have as much to do with it as pace of play, I’d argue more. 95% of NBA players regardless of position shoots threes now, practices shooting threes. It’s part of the style of play now. And those smallball line-ups to counter a great defensive, shot blocking big man have proliferated across the league as well. Every team in the league employs smallball line-ups. You have smallball line-ups where every player in a unit can shoot the three, you draw out defensive players from the paint and out to the perimeter. That means when the guy with the ball can beat his man defender one on one or in PNR, then more times than not, he’ll have a pretty good scoring opportunity in the paint, at the rim with little or even no shot blocking contest. Why can a guy like Jalen Brunson shoot 54% from two point range when an all time great like Isiah Thomas shot 47% from two point range in his career? It’s not simply “bad defense” in today’s league. It’s not that Brunson is so much more savvy and crafty than Zeke was. It’s fewer shot blocking, interior contests, and the lack of statement, no lay-up, hard fouls now. That’s style of play, not rules changes.

Walt Wesley had a career scoring average under 10 PPG. Never a 20 point scorer. He had a 50 point game in the 70s. Tracy Murray and Toney Delk both dropped 50 burgers late 90s, early 2000s. Not 70 point games, but those are also not Booker or Mitc all star type players either. Crazy scoring games happen, even by unlikely names. The fact that crazier scoring performances have happen more frequently in recent years is a product of a lot of different things, not just pace of play and rules changes, not just bad defense. A lot of things have changed and evolved even in just the past 5-10 years. The league wide proliferated use of the three point shot and how it’s impacted team defense is chief among them, even more relevant to the scoring explosion than any rules changes or any increased pace of play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Lakers dropped 141 points on the Celtics

in the NBA Finals

yesterday’s NBA
    Yup. No defence league then no defence league now.
    And comparing one of the greatest teams of all time to the OKC thunder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. No defence league then no defence league now.
    And comparing one of the greatest teams of all time to the OKC thunder.
    Dude there is no excuse allowing 147 pts in the Finals . I don't care who you are and who your opponent is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t buy an argument suggesting it’s merely rules changes and pace of play that has led to the offensive explosion in recent years. That’s a naively simplistic and incomplete late way of looking at it. Are they part of it? Sure, I could agree to that. But hardly the only reasons.

First, there haven’t been any significant rules changes helping offense in nearly two decades. Defensive three seconds, the change in defensive hand checking, and the restricted half circle for charge calls all were implemented late 90s, early to mid 2000s. It’s not like overall league offensive output suddenly exploded in the mid to late 2000s. In fact, that’s when teams like the Pistons and Spurs had some of the most ridiculous team defensive seasons ever. You want to argue officiating has interpreted defensive rules to the advantage of offense over the past decade, that might be a fair point. But officiating has catered to star and superstar offensive players since Jordan if not before him. And that’s not rules changes anyway. It’s interpretation of the rules.

Pace of play absolutely plays a part in more offense. But we’ve seen offenses of the past play like that, in Phoenix and Denver and Sacramento in the 80s and 90s, even to the detriment of team defense. It’s been done before. It just hasn’t been as league wide before. But sure, it’s a part of it.

The three point shot and small ball line-ups have as much to do with it as pace of play, I’d argue more. 95% of NBA players regardless of position shoots threes now, practices shooting threes. It’s part of the style of play now. And those smallball line-ups to counter a great defensive, shot blocking big man have proliferated across the league as well. Every team in the league employs smallball line-ups. You have smallball line-ups where every player in a unit can shoot the three, you draw out defensive players from the paint and out to the perimeter. That means when the guy with the ball can beat his man defender one on one or in PNR, then more times than not, he’ll have a pretty good scoring opportunity in the paint, at the rim with little or even no shot blocking contest. Why can a guy like Jalen Brunson shoot 54% from two point range when an all time great like Isiah Thomas shot 47% from two point range in his career? It’s not simply “bad defense” in today’s league. It’s not that Brunson is so much more savvy and crafty than Zeke was. It’s fewer shot blocking, interior contests, and the lack of statement, no lay-up, hard fouls now. That’s style of play, not rules changes.

Walt Wesley had a career scoring average under 10 PPG. Never a 20 point scorer. He had a 50 point game in the 70s. Tracy Murray and Toney Delk both dropped 50 burgers late 90s, early 2000s. Not 70 point games, but those are also not Booker or Mitc all star type players either. Crazy scoring games happen, even by unlikely names. The fact that crazier scoring performances have happen more frequently in recent years is a product of a lot of different things, not just pace of play and rules changes, not just bad defense. A lot of things have changed and evolved even in just the past 5-10 years. The league wide proliferated use of the three point shot and how it’s impacted team defense is chief among them, even more relevant to the scoring explosion than any rules changes or any increased pace of play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude there is no excuse allowing 147 pts in the Finals . I don't care who you are and who your opponent is
    The bulls allowed 59 points vs the jazz. Any better?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bulls allowed 59 points vs the jazz. Any better?
    Just proving 90s teams were less skilled

LOL scoring 57 pts , what is this , the pre-shot clock era?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just proving 90s teams were less skilled

LOL scoring 57 pts , what is this , the pre-shot clock era?
    So if the teams can’t scored it’s because they were less skilled, but if they scored a lot is because they have no defensive structures. Otoh, if todays nba scored a lot it’s because of skills but if they don’t score enough it’s because of advanced defensive schemes.

To be fair, pedo was probably distracted by some 12 yo on the sideline that game so he couldn’t get his offence going.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have a solid argument regarding Malone tbh

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    In terms of superior skill. I agree dribbling has improved as well as outside shooting. Not seeing it elsewhere.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So if the teams can’t scored it’s because they were less skilled, but if they scored a lot is because they have no defensive structures. Otoh, if todays nba scored a lot it’s because of skills but if they don’t score enough it’s because of advanced defensive schemes.
    that basically sums up the tdays nba crowd tbh

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many years of top game has Giannis left? He's horrible to watch and pretty much is this good just cause of athleticism... i dont see him being as good as LeBron after 30. On the other hand Jokic could dominate until hes 40.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apemond Green instigation yet another skirmish.

His character signature usual cheapshot. Other player not hurt. Rather Donkey did an extended pull of the Pistons jersey in an attempt to get under his skin / was pouting because Pistons just sank a bucket to give them a great chance to win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope the Pistons were tanking.

Otherwise just pathetic giving up a trey when ahead by 3 with 3 seconds left.

Update! Piston catch and turnaround trey jumper for the win at the buzzer!
    Must see TV.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who is this bench coach on the Warriors?
    Always looks serious and constipated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors doing well without Steph tbqh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dallas without Luka would be the worst team in the G league, no joke.
    Last edited by Texas_Ranger; 01-09-2023 at 07:18 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Durbeta out for at least a month. That's gonna change things for the NYets.

I thought Jimmy Butler kind of rolled on him purposely but, Durbeta needs to be aware of his surroundings and keep moving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC with the super obvious thrown loss.
    Anyone see that ending from 1 minute on?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Suns chokec’ this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mavericks 4th Qtr scoring tonight vs the Clippers
    Luka Doncic 20pts
    Frank Ntilikina 3pts

good job building a team Cuban.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mavericks 4th Qtr scoring tonight vs the Clippers
    Luka Doncic 20pts
    Frank Ntilikina 3pts

good job building a team Cuban.
    I liked frank when he came into league. Too bad it was 5 or 6 years ago, and he still plays like a rookie. Still, west are so bad that even kangs are in play off. Mavs most likely will make play off and might even get home court advantage.

Thread Information