Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Can somebody with ESPN insider please post this article?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SAPPORO, Japan -- Here we are on the eve of Day 1 of the World Championship, and my heart tells me to go ahead and pick Team USA to win the gold. The U.S. players have developed a great camaraderie, they finally have a head coach who knows which buttons to push, and their confidence is not compromised by any misplaced iness.

The problem, however, resides a few inches south of my heart.

Down there, in my gut, I can't bring myself to pick them. Not when my gut keeps telling me to listen to my brain, and not when my brain keeps seizing upon what I perceive to be their shortcomings -- size and shooting, to name two -- and flashing back to images from 2002 in Indianapolis and 2004 in Athens, and even from compe ions that preceded those two debacles.

I look at a roster headlined by tri-captains Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony, I rehash everything I've heard them say about making good after their third-place showing in Athens, and I'm tempted to buy into the rah-rah dynamic, dub these guys The Redeem Team and tell y'all how great they're going to do down south in Saitama when the medal round comes along.

But I just can't do it.

Here are 10 reasons why:

1. The experience factor. Most of the better teams in this tournament have been playing together for years and years, not just a few weeks. The players from Argentina have been together since they were on their national junior squad, giving them almost a decade of tournament experience together. The international game is more of a team game than the NBA game, and nothing builds a team quite like growing up together as a unit. Team USA can't compete in this category.

2. The 3-point factor. The international 3-point line is nearly three feet closer to the basket than the NBA line, putting a huge premium on the outside shot. This U.S. team has more shooters than the 2004 Athens team, but there's still no Ray Allen or Michael Redd. And if Joe Johnson pulls a Richard Jefferson and suddenly can't hit the broad side of a barn, trouble lurks.

3. The officiating factor. Squirreled away in a tiny hotel room somewhere here is a referee who can't wait to see LeBron James alone on a breakaway -- not to see him dunk, mind you, but to whistle him for traveling. FIBA referees seem to take a perverse pleasure in seeing the U.S. lose, and if you don't believe me, go ask Tim "FIBA Sucks" Duncan.

4. The familiarity factor. Everyone around the world watches NBA basketball, but try to find a single U.S. player who watches Euroleague games. The opponents know the Americans' tendencies inside and out, but most of the international players are mysteries to Team USA.

5. The physicality factor. FIBA referees will call hand-checking fouls like they're going out of style, but they'll let players get away with armed combat underneath the basket without calling a foul. That doesn't bode well for skinny Chris Bosh, and it'll be an eye-opener for young Dwight Howard.

6. The overconfidence factor. The U.S. will cruise through the opening round, but the quality of the opponents it will see in the single-elimination medal round will be a whole different matter. If Team USA's confidence gets artificially high after the first week, it won't enter the medal round with the healthy respect for its opponents that it needs.

7. The rock-hard, slippery ball factor. The U.S. team been practicing since day one with the slightly smaller Molten ball used in FIBA tournaments, but those balls are broken in. It'll be a different story down the road when some tournament lackey breaks out a brand-new ball for a U.S. game. Happens every time.

8. The food factor. If you don't like Japanese food, you can subsist over here on American fast food. But try eating that stuff for three weeks, and watch your energy level plummet in inverse proportion to your climbing cholesterol count.

9. The smell factor. This is a little disgusting, but it's true: Some of these teams stink, literally. Players on international teams travel to and from the arenas in their uniforms, and many players forsake showers as a result. I got a really close look at Argentina during the Worlds in Indianapolis, and I do not believe Fabricio Oberto, Luis Scola or Andres Nocioni bathed during the entire tournament. BO may be repulsive, but it also keeps defenders a few extra inches away.

10. The fear factor. International teams are no longer afraid of U.S. teams, and since they always go into games against Team USA as underdogs, they play with a looseness that often works in their favor.

We didn't even list the fatigue factor, and that'll be a big deal too. It always is.

I've been covering U.S. national teams since the 1996 Olympics, each tournament leaving a snapshot in my mind not of dominance, but of deterioration. Team USA always shows up with the most talent, but always leaves looking the most exhausted.

In Atlanta 10 years ago, Karl Malone was at the airport and on a plane back home just a couple of hours after the U.S. team used a strong surge at the start of the second half to break open a close game and defeat Yugoslavia for the gold. The bombing in Olympic Park, the substandard accommodations at the Omni Hotel and the unyielding heat and humidity had drained all the enthusiasm out of Team USA, and Malone's determination to put it all behind him as quickly as possible ended up being a precursor for what I'd see from U.S. national teams over the next decade. It was always the same in the end: Exhaustion sapped their spirit, and when all was said and done, the U.S. players just wanted to go home.

Four years ago in Indianapolis, the limousines were lined up outside the Westin Hotel on what we journalists were calling "The Darkest Night." It was the Saturday before the gold medal game between Argentina and Yugoslavia, and Team USA had just been thumped by Spain in the fifth-place game to finish 6-3 in the tournament.

Most of the U.S. players dashed back to their rooms, hastily packed their bags and jumped into their limos for the drive to Chicago and flights to points beyond. The coaching staff and officials from USA Basketball convened in the hotel bar late that evening and tried to find a bright side, reasoning that the sixth-place finish might somehow be good for USA Basketball because there would never again be a fear among players of being on the first U.S. team of the Dream Team era to lose.

Team USA came back the next year with a loaded team that romped through the Tournament of the Americas qualifying tournament in Puerto Rico, putting a thorough beating on Argentina in the gold medal game. But a year later, with apathy and terrorism fears peaking, more than two-thirds of that team had jumped ship heading into the Athens Olympics.

It was there that we saw the beginning of Larry Brown's fall from grace. His stubborn refusal to play James, Wade and Anthony contributed to Team USA's putrid performance in the opening round when it lost to Puerto Rico and Lithuania and had trouble defeating the host country, Greece. The U.S. then moved on to the medal round and was back-picked and backdoored to death by Argentina in the semifinals.

I still remember it like it was yesterday -- the USA defeated Lithuania for the bronze, and then I sat in the press tribune and watched the medal ceremony after Argentina defeated Italy for the gold. U.S. forward Richard Jefferson stood farthest to the right on the medal podium, his eyes repeatedly shifting to his right as he stole a glance at the gold medals draped around the necks of Ginobili, Pepe Sanchez, Ruben Wolkowyski and the rest of the Argentines, whose flag-waving, shirt-throwing celebration seemed to last almost an hour after the gold medal game ended.

I still recall how mystifying and absurd it was to be gazing down on Allen Iverson wearing a flowery wreath on his head (don't ask me why the IOC makes athletes wear those things; I wish I knew the answer) and a bronze medal around his neck. I have never seen any player looking as uncomfortable as he did at that moment.

Some might say all that history should mean nothing, but I can't buy into that argument. To me, it means a lot. The cycle keeps repeating, and I believe it could repeat itself three Sundays from now.

AP Photo/Wong Maye-E
    Spain, featuring Grizzlies star Pau Gasol, enters the tourney on a roll.
    I expect the U.S. team to roar through the opening round, tested by no one other than Slovenia, and I expect complacency to set in prior to its Round of 16 single-elimination game on Sunday, Aug. 27. Team USA will win that one in a game that ends up being closer than it should have been, and will be so awakened and rejuvenated for the quarterfinal match that it will be considered a shoo-in for the gold.

But then the semifinals will arrive, and Team USA will run into that Basque-etball buzzsaw, Spain.

That's the one I'm picking Team USA to lose, and I see Pau Gasol's team going on to defeat Argentina in the gold medal game.

Team USA will win third place over Greece, and Wade, Anthony and James will have another bronze entry for their sock drawers.

In two years, maybe I'll be ready to pick them to win the gold medal in Beijing. For now, I believe España es Número Uno, y Argentina es Número Dos.

We'll eventually see a true Redeem Team in 2008, but for now, in my opinion, Team USA is working its way up the learning curve. As an American, I hope I'm wrong. But as a seasoned and trained objective observer, that's the way I see this thing unfolding.

We'll know by Labor Day whether I am right

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A load of dookie. USA gonna win it all!

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Yeah, yeah. With the 2003 draft class, Howard and Elton Brand alone, USA can win on any ground. But Spain would be dangerous.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Goddess, hear my parayer.

hehe..

reppin the 16th letter! Fillmoe's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Yeah, yeah. With the 2003 draft class, Howard and Elton Brand alone, USA can win on any ground. But Spain would be dangerous.

best troll ever

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    fuk dat beezy he dont kno usa gonna win it all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't trust Coach K as Team USA's coach unless ACC refs are going to officiate to WCs, Duke gets more calls on the road then most teams do at home. Hopefully coach can figure out a way to cheat here too.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    *Team* USA wasn't that impressive tonight. It was a good game against Puerto Rico but they had 34 calls to PR's 18 and most of these were in the second half where they were able to widen the gap. ESPN is so stupid with the scoring, they messed up several times throughout the game and the commentating sucked as usual with ESPN.

Dang FIBA WC site can't handle the load now that the play has begun.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    USA will win the gold. Wade, Lebron, Joe Johnson, and Battier are why they will. This team has a good mix of players. Especially on the offensive end. The only way to beat USA is not to turn the ball over because once they do it is a highlight reel on the other side.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    9. The smell factor. This is a little disgusting, but it's true: Some of these teams stink, literally. Players on international teams travel to and from the arenas in their uniforms, and many players forsake showers as a result. I got a really close look at Argentina during the Worlds in Indianapolis, and I do not believe Fabricio Oberto, Luis Scola or Andres Nocioni bathed during the entire tournament. BO may be repulsive, but it also keeps defenders a few extra inches away.
    is this serious?? well... I guess in international compe ion an advantage is an advantage no matter how you can get it huh? too funny

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    USA will win the gold. Wade, Lebron, Joe Johnson, and Battier are why they will. This team has a good mix of players. Especially on the offensive end. The only way to beat USA is not to turn the ball over because once they do it is a highlight reel on the other side.
    Too much offense...other than steals, their defense sucked tonight. This won't work for them when they play the tougher teams. Puerto Rico made their shots, many of them wide open, USA got their fouls in the second half to double up and they got steals but other than that, Puerto Rico played well until the refs started giving all the calls to USA in the second half. Big names don't equal success all the time and while part of Sheridan's *ten reasons* was laughable, there were some truths in a lot of it...experience with team play, exhaustion as two big examples. I think this new three year commitment plan will work in favor of Team USA, but not yet.

If you can't slam with the best then jam with the rest sabar's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still think they need more team work or they won't make it. I mean when you run the ball up the court and straight through the defense to the bucket, only to miss, I don't know how much more run and gun it gets. They have settled for some pretty poor shots and travel calls will hurt.

They have enough talent and knowing of FIBA to win it even with mistakes though. The only defense is the totally disproportionate steals and TOs. Some blocks and some blatent goaltending.

They're on the fence at this point, they can win or lose easily. Get some more D. Learn something that isn't called the full court press. Stop lobbing up 3s with bad looks. This team will be better in 2-3 years and then I think it'll be as close to the dream team as we have been.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    That was an Insider? I read that on my mobile internet on my phone last night, WTF? Its not the same as the reg. ESPN site but its also not their mobile ESPN service they tout

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That guy is ing re ed. He's already doubting his super-stacked team. What a ing pussy.

2. The 3-point factor.
    The 3-point factor should help USA because almost the whole team can hit outside jumpers, so I don't know what the he's talknig about on that one.

Right, because the USA players are the only ones that don't eat their food. And I doubt that you have to walk far before stubbling into a McDonald's.

9. The smell factor.

10. The fear factor.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeBron James is a ing narc ass liability with his (lack of) dribbling skills.

I think overconfidence is the one thing to watch out for--this team has a really good shot at winning. We have it all, just a ing idiot move to not use FIBA refs in all those exhibitions we've been playing.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    If the US team can't win with all the talent available then the coach is to blame. With the exception of experience, they are miles ahead of the compe ion in every category.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    LeBron James is a ing narc ass liability with his (lack of) dribbling skills.
    you're an idiot

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spain all the way - book it!

Stand-up philosopher CharlieMac's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coach K isn't running that show. That's why we'll lose.

The BO tactic is pretty smart though.

hasta la victoria, siempre cheguevara's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the smell factor?

who wrote this trash?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    spain all the way - book it!
    Fiction can be fun. No way USA loses this year. This team is put together much better than the team 2 years ago. It's not even close.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Still no 3pt threat.......

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fiction can be fun. No way USA loses this year. This team is put together much better than the team 2 years ago. It's not even close.
    no way? give me a break! they are the favorites, but to say no way is the same mistake they did in 2002 buddy. On second thought, keep thinking that way...

Thread Information