Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Duncan was still in his prime in '07. I don't know how he would not be effective against the Warriors. Looney and Draymond would be lightweights for Duncan to handle. You of all people should know this after the numbers Duncan put up against Dampier, Diop, Mbenga who are all on the same level as Looney but taller and stronger.
    Let me rephrase - 2003 Duncan was not 2007 Duncan. 2005 Duncan was not 2007 Duncan.

Still a great player but we are talking the run and gun Warriors and Tim had slowed down some at this point. I could see him in foul trouble in the series and having some trouble keeping up with all the Warriors movement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me rephrase - 2003 Duncan was not 2007 Duncan. 2005 Duncan was not 2007 Duncan.

Still a great player but we are talking the run and gun Warriors and Tim had slowed down some at this point. I could see him in foul trouble in the series and having some trouble keeping up with all the Warriors movement.
    Agreed
    The game has changed so much since 2007
    Heck, even since 2014

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Agreed
    The game has changed so much since 2007
    Heck, even since 2014
    Yeah didn't run and gun Suns sweep the Spurs just a few yrs after that?

To Tim's credit he employed a nutritionist, trained hard, dropped a few pounds and really rejuvenated himself to hold up in the new era of gazelles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah didn't run and gun Suns sweep the Spurs just a few yrs after that?

To Tim's credit he employed a nutritionist, trained hard, dropped a few pounds and really rejuvenated himself to hold up in the new era of gazelles.
    Yep, Goran Dragic skull ed us in 2010

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs would have the discipline to stick with the Warriors. It would be an interesting matchup for sure.
    I don't think it would be that interesting a matchup, the 07 Spurs would handle the 22 Warriors pretty easily. Now the 15 Warriors would probably beat the 07 Spurs and the 16-18 Warriors would definitely beat them.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Last season’s Milwaukee Bucks actually had a pretty weak path to a le. Brooklyn with Harden and Kyrie both hobbled and out during the series. Atlanta ing Hawks in the ECF. Then facing another first time Finals team who outside of CP3 were all young kids with no playoff experience other than that current post season. Miami in the first round might have been the toughest team they faced, but that Heat team was not right most of that season, and their two best players Butler and Bam were both dealing with physical issues at that point. I know beating Durant at the time felt like taking a big step for Giannis. But in retrospect, what series against what team in their Finals run was really all that impressive? Feels like none of them, and consequently the entire run in total was not very impressive at all.

I’d throw the 2021 Bucks in the bucket of weakest champs of the last whatever 40 or so years.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I don't think it would be that interesting a matchup, the 07 Spurs would handle the 22 Warriors pretty easily. Now the 15 Warriors would probably beat the 07 Spurs and the 16-18 Warriors would definitely beat them.
    I know the last couple pages have had the ongoing debate, but I’m not convinced either way. I don’t think the 2007 Spurs would dominate because I don’t quite know how’d they defend the Warriors small ball line-up. Flipside, I, not convinced the Warriors team defense is nearly as dominant against a balanced team with multiple primary scorers with a traditional make-up.

It’s always a fool’s errand trying to determine all the moving parts of a match-up between two teams from two different eras with such disparate styles of play. Not just those two particular teams, but the style of play overall throughout the league in those two eras. Realize the 2007 Spurs took only 19 three attempts a game. 2022 Warriors not only more than double that, but they make more than twice as the 2007 Spurs. So out the door, on an average night, the 2022 Warriors already have a 21 point advantage from three point distance. Now, can the Spurs bully them enough with Tim down low to counter that? Maybe. But Tim most of his career was never the give me the ball 25 times so I can score 40-50 points. That wasn’t him in 2007 and wasn’t really him ever. Draymond doesn’t necessarily have to stop Tim. Tim can dominate Dramond statistically if the rest of the team defense contain Parker and the corner three point attempts.

I don’t think it’s a gimme either way. Both t ams have to have some major strategizing and gameplanning defensively against the other. I think both teams have an advantage offensively. If the three are falling for the Warriors, it makes less of a difference for the Warriors to have to stop Duncan inside and Tony’s drives. They can exchange twos for threes and the Warriors are in better position to win.

I don’t kno for certain, but I tend to lean towards 2022 Warriors. And style of play plays a big role in that leaning.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last season’s Milwaukee Bucks actually had a pretty weak path to a le. Brooklyn with Harden and Kyrie both hobbled and out during the series. Atlanta ing Hawks in the ECF. Then facing another first time Finals team who outside of CP3 were all young kids with no playoff experience other than that current post season. Miami in the first round might have been the toughest team they faced, but that Heat team was not right most of that season, and their two best players Butler and Bam were both dealing with physical issues at that point. I know beating Durant at the time felt like taking a big step for Giannis. But in retrospect, what series against what team in their Finals run was really all that impressive? Feels like none of them, and consequently the entire run in total was not very impressive at all.

I’d throw the 2021 Bucks in the bucket of weakest champs of the last whatever 40 or so years.
    Last year's Suns were a pretty strong team and won at a 57 win pace, plus Giannis didn't look right in Game 1 of the Finals. Maybe that Bucks team wasn't one of the better le teams but their run was way tougher than Golden State's just from Finals opponent alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know the last couple pages have had the ongoing debate, but I’m not convinced either way. I don’t think the 2007 Spurs would dominate because I don’t quite know how’d they defend the Warriors small ball line-up. Flipside, I, not convinced the Warriors team defense is nearly as dominant against a balanced team with multiple primary scorers with a traditional make-up.

It’s always a fool’s errand trying to determine all the moving parts of a match-up between two teams from two different eras with such disparate styles of play. Not just those two particular teams, but the style of play overall throughout the league in those two eras. Realize the 2007 Spurs took only 19 three attempts a game. 2022 Warriors not only more than double that, but they make more than twice as the 2007 Spurs. So out the door, on an average night, the 2022 Warriors already have a 21 point advantage from three point distance. Now, can the Spurs bully them enough with Tim down low to counter that? Maybe. But Tim most of his career was never the give me the ball 25 times so I can score 40-50 points. That wasn’t him in 2007 and wasn’t really him ever. Draymond doesn’t necessarily have to stop Tim. Tim can dominate Dramond statistically if the rest of the team defense contain Parker and the corner three point attempts.

I don’t think it’s a gimme either way. Both t ams have to have some major strategizing and gameplanning defensively against the other. I think both teams have an advantage offensively. If the three are falling for the Warriors, it makes less of a difference for the Warriors to have to stop Duncan inside and Tony’s drives. They can exchange twos for threes and the Warriors are in better position to win.

I don’t kno for certain, but I tend to lean towards 2022 Warriors. And style of play plays a big role in that leaning.
    22 Klay Thompson being a s of his prime self is why I'd easily take the 07 Spurs over the 22 Warriors while I'd take any of the other three Warriors le teams plus the 16 team over the 07 Spurs (and 99/03/05 Spurs also). You could stick Bowen on Curry and at least he's not getting constant wide open looks most likely, so those number of threes are probably coming down a bit. Duncan's prime before he had Parker and Ginobili put around him they ran 4-down constantly for him, but way slower pace around 2001 so yeah he wasn't shooting 25 times a night.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    22 Klay Thompson being a s of his prime self is why I'd easily take the 07 Spurs over the 22 Warriors while I'd take any of the other three Warriors le teams plus the 16 team over the 07 Spurs (and 99/03/05 Spurs also). You could stick Bowen on Curry and at least he's not getting constant wide open looks most likely, so those number of threes are probably coming down a bit. Duncan's prime before he had Parker and Ginobili put around him they ran 4-down constantly for him, but way slower pace around 2001 so yeah he wasn't shooting 25 times a night.
    The Spurs could have done the same tactic the Celtics did defensively with guarding the Warriors accept they would have been more effective. The problem with the Celtics was they couldn't get easy buckets in a close game while the Spurs would be able to by throwing the ball into Duncan in the post.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

'07 Duncan still had the great mobility to keep up with the Warriors. If you were saying '08 Duncan would have not have been fast enough to deal with the Warriors then I would have agreed with you but in '07 Duncan was still very mobile. '08 it was when he had a huge decline.

He also dealt with the Suns in '07 which was the fastest team in the league and was fine. I don't see why he wouldn't be able to keep up with this incarnation of the Warriors.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    '07 Duncan still had the great mobility to keep up with the Warriors. If you were saying '08 Duncan would have not have been fast enough to deal with the Warriors then I would have agreed with you but in '07 Duncan was still very mobile. '08 it was when he had a huge decline.

He also dealt with the Suns in '07 which was the fastest team in the league and was fine. I don't see why he wouldn't be able to keep up with this incarnation of the Warriors.
    There's where we disagree. If you were talking 99-06 Duncan I am with you and pick SA.

And the Warriors actually defend, unlike the Suns.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Honestly, Smart is just as good as Bowen defensively, imo, and we see how that turned out. There is just no defense for some of the stuff that Curry does out there. Bowen was used to defending guys like Wally Z or Kobe. Set shooters and slashers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, Smart is just as good as Bowen defensively, imo, and we see how that turned out. There is just no defense for some of the stuff that Curry does out there. Bowen was used to defending guys like Wally Z or Kobe. Set shooters and slashers.
    LOL no, Smart is an idiot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's where we disagree. If you were talking 99-06 Duncan I am with you and pick SA.

LOL taking 06 plantar fasciitis Duncan over 07 healthy Duncan

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    LOL taking 06 plantar fasciitis Duncan over 07 healthy Duncan
    Looked pretty damn good vs us in 06.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    2015 Finals Klay: 15.8 points, 41% FG, 30% 3P

2022 Finals Klay: 17.0 points, 36% FG, 35% 3P

Klay would most likely not be the reason, or one of the reasons, the 2007 Spurs would handle the 2022 Warriors but lose to the 2015 Warriors.

I still contend style of play and being able to adjust defensively plays a huge role in determining a winner between 2007 Spurs and 2022 Warriors. , the 2015 Warriors on average attempted a dozen fewer three pointers than their 2022 version. The game with three point shooting has evolved even just the last few years after the Warriors got onto the championship scene. It’s a different game. It’s a different way to defend. Conceptually, in the Spurs championship window, Pop always focused on the corner three, actually at both ends. Get open corner looks, defend and stop the opposing team in the corners. Teams shoot the three from everywhere now and from all positions and from 35+ feet out. It’s an absolute different defensive scheme in today’s game. You can’t funnel the ball to the corners, overplay the corner jumper and force baseline drives anymore. Especially with everyone and their mama using the side-step maneuver, overplaying the corner three just means a shot fake gets them a more wide open three once they side step or an equally open three from the elbow with a quick swing pass.

Someone mentioned it earlier, it’s not really about the individual match-ups like Duncan v Draymond or Parker v Steph. It’s more stylistically, how does each “team” defense play and adjust and game plan against offenses they are entirely not used to playing. For me at least, that’s what I focus on in the hypothetical match-up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cool story bro

keep obsessing over kobe and crying about drob not getting credit he doesn't deserve
    So now the diversion. I’d have thought you like have had other moves after getting your pushed in so many times. But I guess you just like to go back to that re ed loser schtick. I’m sure you are not this embarrassing in real life.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And they wouldn't be able to defend Duncan so I don't know what your point is about that is. Duncan was still very mobile in '07. If you want to disagree that's fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2015 Finals Klay: 15.8 points, 41% FG, 30% 3P

2022 Finals Klay: 17.0 points, 36% FG, 35% 3P

Klay would most likely not be the reason, or one of the reasons, the 2007 Spurs would handle the 2022 Warriors but lose to the 2015 Warriors.

I still contend style of play and being able to adjust defensively plays a huge role in determining a winner between 2007 Spurs and 2022 Warriors. , the 2015 Warriors on average attempted a dozen fewer three pointers than their 2022 version. The game with three point shooting has evolved even just the last few years after the Warriors got onto the championship scene. It’s a different game. It’s a different way to defend. Conceptually, in the Spurs championship window, Pop always focused on the corner three, actually at both ends. Get open corner looks, defend and stop the opposing team in the corners. Teams shoot the three from everywhere now and from all positions and from 35+ feet out. It’s an absolute different defensive scheme in today’s game. You can’t funnel the ball to the corners, overplay the corner jumper and force baseline drives anymore. Especially with everyone and their mama using the side-step maneuver, overplaying the corner three just means a shot fake gets them a more wide open three once they side step or an equally open three from the elbow with a quick swing pass.

Someone mentioned it earlier, it’s not really about the individual match-ups like Duncan v Draymond or Parker v Steph. It’s more stylistically, how does each “team” defense play and adjust and game plan against offenses they are entirely not used to playing. For me at least, that’s what I focus on in the hypothetical match-up.
    2022 Klay teams would leave open, 2015 Klay was the second best shooter in the league and you had to be on him. 2015 Klay was also an elite defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looked pretty damn good vs us in 06.
    He was a lot better in 07. 06 was the worst year of his career until he started slowing down in 09.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen actually had the easiest time guarding scorers who were primarily shooters. I still remember in '08 at old age he had trouble guarding a young CP3 in the playoffs that Pop switched him over to guarding Peja who was lighting up the Spurs in that series. Once that move was made the Spurs ended up winning the series because Bowen locked down Peja. Bowen also had great success at locking down prime Ray Allen in '05.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was a lot better in 07. 06 was the worst year of his career until he started slowing down in 09.
    Duncan averaged 26-13-4 blocks against the Suns in 'the '07 playoffs. You can't put up those types of numbers against an athletic team without having great mobility.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Honestly, Smart is just as good as Bowen defensively, imo, and we see how that turned out.

Thread Information