Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ok this is such a stupid take

yes some players are injury prone but fact is they are unpredictable and there is no promise or guarantee that an injury prone player will get hurt, nor is it a guarantee that a player with absolutely no injury history for years will make it through a given season without getting hurt

if your basis for the bubble le being tainted is seriously "AD is injury prone but didn't get hurt, so their le was unfair ", you might have just given a worse take than manu > dirk, and you probably should just consider the viability of suicide at this point
    No, Davis' injury history is just an example of all the things that could have been different had that NBA season been played under normal cir stances. My basis for the bubble le being tainted is that it was a season played in complete different cir stances than normal NBA seasons. And a lot of things would have most likely been different had the season been played normaly, including the champion.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    No, Davis' injury history is just an example of all the things that could have been different had that NBA season been played under normal cir stances. My basis for the bubble le being tainted is that it was a season played in complete different cir stances than normal NBA seasons. And a lot of things would have most likely been different had the season been played normaly, including the champion.
    "could have"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the entire premise of asterik or weak championships, which is what we are arguing here.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Yeah, the entire premise of asterik or weak championships, which is what we are arguing here.
    sorry but i dont see how the argument "but they had a player who could have gotten injured, and if he had gotten injured, they wouldn't have won the championship, therefore that makes them a weak champion" holds any weight, since you could say that about every single team ever

the majority of whats been talked about here has been the quality of players and team, not stupid "what if" cards in regards to injuries that didnt even happen, as opposed to something like the 15 finals where one may wonder what the series would have been like had kyrie and love not been hurt, or if the nets had been healthy last year against the bucks

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL you're basically making the 99* argument.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where in the did I say or imply that? How can you get that from what I wrote?

Sure, they were equal for all, but that doesn't mean that certain teams and individuals don't get more benefit from those equal but unusual cir stances.

If a high endurance runner registers himself for a marathon but suddenly that marathon becomes a 100m dash race, he will be in disadvatange and a speedster with less stamina would see himself benefited and win a race he wouldn't have won otherwise.

If the metaphor isn't clear. If a team has, let's say, a superstar bigmen that is known for being injury prone, that team will be benefited if a season suddenly gets shortened and with less miles traveled during the season and specially the playoffs, and win a championship that, most probably, wouldn't have won under normal conditions.

Free agent signings and trades are part of the norm of an NBA season.
    When you inferred the league's primary concern was "gifting" the Lakers a championship by finishing the '20 season in unusual cir stances.

Eh, an undertalented (for a contender) team that had lightning in a bottle is a poor example of that.

Sounds like you just have an obsession with and refusal to give the Lakers credit.

Even if you want to play that game and absolve the Warriors core 4/Durant for the gutless move made feasible by the unprecedented cap e, again S bag was only traded for that paltry package because of what he intentionally did to his value, which destroyed all credibility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, Smart is just as good as Bowen defensively, imo, and we see how that turned out. There is just no defense for some of the stuff that Curry does out there. Bowen was used to defending guys like Wally Z or Kobe. Set shooters and slashers.
    Come on. Smart can't carry Bowen's jock on Bowen's worst defensive outing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All teams dealt with the same cir stances. One team came out on top. You could use the same argument for the AC failure in 2014, but again both teams dealt with it, as was stated by the coaches and players and subsequently dismissed as a scapegoat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same conditions for every team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you inferred the league's primary concern was "gifting" the Lakers a championship by finishing the '20 season in unusual cir stances.

Eh, an undertalented (for a contender) team that had lightning in a bottle is a poor example of that.

Sounds like you just have an obsession with and refusal to give the Lakers credit.

Even if you want to play that game and absolve the Warriors core 4/Durant for the gutless move made feasible by the unprecedented cap e, again S bag was only traded for that paltry package because of what he intentionally did to his value, which destroyed all credibility.
    Never did that, tbh. Just mentioned the unusual cir stances, and added a tongue in cheek comment about the league wanting the Lakers to win the ship because of Kobe's death. Never talked about any "primary concern" nor did I say the reason the season was completed was to gift the Lakers the trophy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All teams dealt with the same cir stances. One team came out on top. You could use the same argument for the AC failure in 2014, but again both teams dealt with it, as was stated by the coaches and players and subsequently dismissed as a scapegoat.
    You can't compare one game without AC to an entire season being shutdown and finishing the playoffs without travels or home court advantage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sorry but i dont see how the argument "but they had a player who could have gotten injured, and if he had gotten injured, they wouldn't have won the championship, therefore that makes them a weak champion" holds any weight, since you could say that about every single team ever

the majority of whats been talked about here has been the quality of players and team, not stupid "what if" cards in regards to injuries that didnt even happen, as opposed to something like the 15 finals where one may wonder what the series would have been like had kyrie and love not been hurt, or if the nets had been healthy last year against the bucks
    Those Lakers missed the playoffs the year before, won on the most unusual of cir stances, and went back to being utter the following seasons. I think it's safe to say they are the weakest champions ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL you're basically making the 99* argument.
    Yeah, well, that was kind of the point, before TD21 misinterpreted the whole thing and sent the conversation in a whole different path.

Laker fans on this board always brought up *99, but lockdown seasons have happened before and will happen again, that bubble ring will forever be the true asterik untill the end of times.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Laker fans on this board always brought up *99, but lockdown seasons have happened before and will happen again, that bubble ring will forever be the true asterik untill the end of times.
    The 1998-99 lockout was different than the ones prior to that. 6 month lockout which resulted in a three month plus delay to the start of the season with a February start, forcing not only a shortened season but a compacted one. The previous lockouts still resulted in those seasons beginning at the start of November. 1999 was different. Players were out of shape. Shooting suffered. Pace of the game was bad. Ratings went down the toilet. Overall league FG% was the worst since the 1960s when those notorious plumbers and electricians littered the league. Offensive Rating was the worst since 1970s and hasn’t been as bad since. Overall pace of play in the league was the slowest in league history since they started to chart pace. The worst in some 50 some seasons of pace being a statistically charted measure.

If you want to asterisk the Lakers bubble ring, which is perfectly fine by me, the 1999 Spurs lockout ring shares the same fate imo. 1999 and 2020 are way more similar than 1999 and the other lockout seasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A longer season would have actually benefited the Spurs

They had a very slow start that season and started rolling late

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Those Lakers missed the playoffs the year before, won on the most unusual of cir stances, and went back to being utter the following seasons. I think it's safe to say they are the weakest champions ever.
    completely different roster + lebron suffered major injury the year before

the following seasons there were multiple major injuries as well as major roster changes

has nothing to do with the team that won it all. it would be one thing if the health level was generally similar and roster was similar. but neither was the case. more awful reasoning. try focusing on the championship team itself, not other teams.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Come on. Smart can't carry Bowen's jock on Bowen's worst defensive outing.

Why is that, because Smart doesn't place his foot under superstar's feet when they rise for a jump shot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same conditions for every team
    Nah. No other team can get farm teams like the lakers. Different conditions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is that, because Smart doesn't place his foot under superstar's feet when they rise for a jump shot?
    Smart is a better defender than Bowen, but my fellow Spurs fans refuse to remove their silver & black tinted glasses tbh

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Smart is a better defender than Bowen, but my fellow Spurs fans refuse to remove their silver & black tinted glasses tbh
    defending straight up man to man, id say bowen is easily better than smart, partly because of his size, but mainly because of his discipline

but smart is better at help and team defense

if we are talking about defending a guy like steph straight up, i think id rather take my chances with bowen, smart tends to gamble way too much

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    defending straight up man to man, id say bowen is easily better than smart, partly because of his size, but mainly because of his discipline

but smart is better at help and team defense

if we are talking about defending a guy like steph straight up, i think id rather take my chances with bowen, smart tends to gamble way too much
    I don't think Bruce would keep with Curry tbh

Kawhi can D up Curry though

Also, Delladevodedellova did it a for a couple of games

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Smart plays like he believes he's the pun intended smartest guy in the room which leads to him making common sense mistakes. Like he knows the screen is coming so he'll position himself to be able to get around the screen quickly but then give the guy he's defending a free lane to the basket. He's a really good defender if he's not ask to over analyze situations. Because he tends to overthink and make bonehead decisions.

As far as effort, I think Marcus Smart plays as hard as anyone in the league defensively. His effort level is world class.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    I don't think Bruce would keep with Curry tbh
    pretty much no one can honestly, but at least hes not going to do a bunch of dumb stuff like smart. you can rely that on every possession bowen is going to stick him like glue, get physical and make him work hard for anything he gets, which is the best way to defend steph, since hes too good to be locked up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pretty much no one can honestly, but at least hes not going to do a bunch of dumb stuff like smart. you can rely that on every possession bowen is going to stick him like glue, get physical and make him work hard for anything he gets, which is the best way to defend steph, since hes too good to be locked up
    It used to be the way but Steph has gotten stronger the last few years and his handles are even tighter and better than they used to be last year.
    The only way to stop him now is Inchallah and hope he misses

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    It used to be the way but Steph has gotten stronger the last few years and his handles are even tighter and better than they used to be last year.
    The only way to stop him now is Inchallah and hope he misses
    i agree hes improved in how he handles it, but its still the best way to defend him if you choose to leave him 1-on-1 and not trap

Thread Information