Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After watching that 2 hour long film session I thought that Eason was too wild, too unskilled, and too selfish or dim or raw.

But after thinking about it, no one is better at swagger jacking than Pop. He can turn confident brash young men into timid wallflowers better than anyone. Maybe that's just what Eason needs.
    To flip that around, he dominated while playing very unstructured; imagine how much he could improve with more training and seasoning? This gets to the core of what I think is crazy about scouting philosophy: for example, people think Duren is better because he’s younger and hasn’t done much yet, but could possibly, basically, whereas Eason is just as athletic, has a better NBA physique for a position-less league, has actually put up impressive analytical stats, and yet Duren is rated higher in every board. He has a much smaller role because he plays a less important position so his bbiq isn’t questioned, yet somehow people assume he will make a leap?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell was well discussed.
    Yeah, he was the last one I can remember that was well discussed, along with maybe Samanic. Many of the others though were barely discussed at the time they were drafted, from George Hill to Cory Joseph to Derrick White to Josh Primo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    9) Sochan
    20) Jalen Williams
    25) Christie

is what I’m feeling from the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s easy for us to say that the Spurs value character too much and they should draft for talent, regardless of character. But we’re not the ones who have to deal with those guys everyday in the locker room, in the gym, on the court, so it’s easy for us to say that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Larry Brown begged and pleaded with management to trade for Sidney Green. After Green had been here a week, Brown went to management and said he didn't like Green and to get rid of him.

Hey he was right the second time so he’s batting 500. LFG

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK City is trying to trade up from 12 to get Sharpe. They don't see any problem with him.
    The same franchise that drafted the anorexic Drago too. Sharpe is an assclown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't care about #9, as long as we end up with Christie and Dieng at #20 and #25.

But well...Dyson Daniels would be really nice.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    09 - Sochan
    20 - Christie
    25 - Procida
    38 - J. Will (PF/C)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To flip that around, he dominated while playing very unstructured; imagine how much he could improve with more training and seasoning? This gets to the core of what I think is crazy about scouting philosophy: for example, people think Duren is better because he’s younger and hasn’t done much yet, but could possibly, basically, whereas Eason is just as athletic, has a better NBA physique for a position-less league, has actually put up impressive analytical stats, and yet Duren is rated higher in every board. He has a much smaller role because he plays a less important position so his bbiq isn’t questioned, yet somehow people assume he will make a leap?
    Eason has a giant usage that he won't get in SA, and how he reacts when he doesn't get the ball much, or how Pop and his teammates react to him asserting himself and trying to dominate possessions will be interesting.

But like I said, maybe Pop can reel him in.

Lonnie was a carefree, smiling, fun, walk his own path, look at my hair, one man rally, take on the world, trying to get crazy dunks guy who talked up life being a hologram.

Four seasons with Pop turned him into a shuffling, mumbling, looks like everyone else, head down, morose guy who is in touch with his feelings and trauma who doesn't make shots anymore.

Eason will be too depressed to try and monopolize the game and gamble for steals and blocks only to get fouls. So in a way he'd be less of a liability.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ The fit will be possibly be a challenge, for sure. And Pop will not change his regimented approach. But whoever we draft, the Spurs’ developmental arc is something like 5-6 years in my opinion; it doesn’t happen quickly. At least Eason can contribute defensively immediately and much of his offense is in transition and bullying players. He will have to adapt to NBA athletes. But I still see that as a more viable path then drafting anyone who can’t play defense and suffering through that process again. To me it’s not even worth it, for the Spurs team at least. And we aren’t getting transcendent offensive talent at pick #9, so I keep coming back to Eason, basically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO that's the biggest risk: trying to outsmart ourselves. The swing for the fences type picks flopped (Samanic) or are yet to show anything of note (Primo), while those who did work out were actually the ones involving players who consensus had going higher (DM, KJ), and happened to fall into our lap. In fact, we PASSED on Keldon Johnson once, and unexpectedly lucked into finding him again at 29 with the second pick.

Every time we passed on a player that consensus would have us take (Haliburton in 2020, Sengun in 2021), our choices actually fared worse, and in all cases where our picks outperformed their rank, we were relegated to a passive role and no choice but to let the board do the filtering for us. So yes, I am concerned that we fall into that temptation again, believing we can sweep through the mud to find that hidden gem no one else sees, likely because it's not there, and miss the value in front of our noses.
    Great post. Wholeheartedly agree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    9) Sochan
    20) Jalen Williams
    25) Christie

is what I’m feeling from the Spurs.
    I'd be exstatic with Sochan at 9 but I don't think PATFO is leaning that way based on LJ's intel from sources in the mock draft 4.0

I'm not big on Duren where lots of people see us going, so Sochan would make me beyond thrilled. Sochan's defense alongside Poeltl and his ability to replace Poeltl in the PnR game and actually be a rim destroyer would make this team much better day 1. That said Sochan isn't even my top selection by far depending on availability.

I'm getting more anxious by the day we screw this up again this year. Sigh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think #9 will be Johnny Davis, Jalen Williams, Or Malaki Branham.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y’all think he’s legit? Or stealing Timvps work?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good question

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s easy for us to say that the Spurs value character too much and they should draft for talent, regardless of character. But we’re not the ones who have to deal with those guys everyday in the locker room, in the gym, on the court, so it’s easy for us to say that.
    There are no bad guy criminals in the draft just the perception some are not worthy of drafting from an ultra conservative fan base on Spurs Talk.

Spurs who are lacking in athleticism and overall talent on the team are in no position to let high upside talent go for perceived good character players with less athleticism and less upside.
    Last edited by rascal; 06-20-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be exstatic with Sochan at 9 but I don't think PATFO is leaning that way based on LJ's intel from sources in the mock draft 4.0

I'm not big on Duren where lots of people see us going, so Sochan would make me beyond thrilled. Sochan's defense alongside Poeltl and his ability to replace Poeltl in the PnR game and actually be a rim destroyer would make this team much better day 1. That said Sochan isn't even my top selection by far depending on availability.

I'm getting more anxious by the day we screw this up again this year. Sigh.
    If Sochan and Poeltl are on the floor together you won't have a big who can play away from the basket on offense as both shoot at a low % on the perimeter. Too much is looked in here defensively without regarding what you're getting on the offensive side.

Concentrating on what players bring on defense and not offense is playing to lose. You need to score to win. A good defense won't stop a good offense in basketball. It's too easy for the top teams to score.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Sochan and Poeltl are on the floor together you won't have a big who can play away from the basket on offense as both shoot at a low % on the perimeter. Too much is looked in here defensively without regarding what you're getting on the offensive side.

Concentrating on what players bring on defense and not offense is playing to lose. You need to score to win. A good defense won't stop a good offense in basketball. It's too easy for the top teams to score.
    I think that‘s where the Myles Turner talks are coming from. Turner‘s 3-Point shooting would fix the spacing issues

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are no bad guy criminals in the draft just the perception some are not worthy of drafting from an ultra conservative fan base on Spurs Talk.

Spurs who are lacking in athleticism and overall talent on the team are in no position to let high upside talent go for perceived good character players with less athleticism and less upside.
    It's not that simple... there are degrees of character issues and degrees of upside talent relative to less upside players. Sharpe is falling in every teams eyes and rightly so but some of that is subterfuge. People talk like he's falling out of the lottery based on very bad interviews but the reality is most likely that he's simply falling into the mid to late lottery because the risk is mitigated at that slot based on a very high upside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s a lot of people online that are “hearing rumors” from their “sources.” 95% of it is bull . They’re just regurgitating stuff they see on here or something they saw on Twitter from another bull source. Spurs run a tight ship it won’t let much, if any, news slip out. It’s timvp or bust tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s a lot of people online that are “hearing rumors” from their “sources.” 95% of it is bull . They’re just regurgitating stuff they see on here or something they saw on Twitter from another bull source. Spurs run a tight ship it won’t let much, if any, news slip out. It’s timvp or bust tbh.
    and he hd no idea about primo last year

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I don't trust rumors that mainly comes from Agents who are trying to market there client

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reminds me of when the Spurs were rumored to be interested in Larry Nance and the Lakers swooped in and took him.

Thread Information