Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They got burned by Luka and Metu. Ignored character for raw talent with size.
    Those guys didn't have talent. Those were just bad draft picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One bad talent eval doesn’t erase everything else.
    Larry Brown begged and pleaded with management to trade for Sidney Green. After Green had been here a week, Brown went to management and said he didn't like Green and to get rid of him.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Larry Brown begged and pleaded with management to trade for Sidney Green. After Green had been here a week, Brown went to management and said he didn't like Green and to get rid of him.
    he could have been right both times tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can’t wait for the servers to crash once Max Christie is picked at #9

In all seriousness though, I can’t remember the last time the Spurs picked a prospect with more than one or two pages in SpursTalk at the time he was drafted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In all seriousness though, I can’t remember the last time the Spurs picked a prospect with more than one or two pages in SpursTalk at the time he was drafted.
    You're right, 'cause the servers kept crashing.
    I'm just going to avoid this site till the next day.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Re the Larry Brown endorsement of Duren...maybe pump the breaks. It was Larry Brown who highly recommended Jackie Butler to the Spurs, which proved to have been a disastrous move which ultimately cost us Scola to get rid of Butler. So maybe caveat emptor with any of Brown's recommendations. He's in his 80s now and maybe the games passed him by. For the record, I do think Duren will be a very good player and wouldn't be upset if we drafted him.
    I don't remember how much Brown factored into Butler, but I remember more that it was John Hollinger who the Spurs were paying as a consultant who recommended him based on his stats.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't remember how much Brown factored into Butler, but I remember more that it was John Hollinger who the Spurs were paying as a consultant who recommended him based on his stats.
    And he was just a fa not a spurs pick.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That narrative is BS. They may have had interesting TRAITS, but by no means were they proven TALENT. The only talent that burned us for character related issues is Kawhi. The rest is people's hopes projected onto raw prospects that were not all that good to begin with. Talent does not come behind character, let's drop that notion.
    If they don't pan out because of character related flaws they are just bad draft picks got it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Christie as a shooter who can't shoot is giving me Luka flashbacks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs guys……. Keegan Murray, Johnny Davis. Dyson Daniels, Mark Williams, Jalen Williams, Malaki Branham, Jeremy Sochan

Non Spurs guys…… Just my opinion (based off personality) Shaedon Sharpe, Benn Mathurin, Jalen Duren, Ousmane Dieng, AJ griffin

those Non spurs guys might end up as the pick but when you listen to interviews I’m not sure they scream spurs to me.
    Why do you think Mathurin or Griffin are not Spurs guys? Both seem like it to me. I want the former, not the latter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm really starting to get this feeling...

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Christie as a shooter who can't shoot is giving me Luka flashbacks
    That, plus why are we looking for diamonds in the rough at pick 9? Or at least, let’s hope they aren’t dumpster diving for bargains at #9.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need an actual hooper who shows some leadership potential and moxie, almost regardless of position. Who is the closest to being that in our range?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would probably be Johnny Davis as he plays to win and he plays hard on offense and defense. Another guy would be Sochan has he is like the QB of defense always talking with his team mates and telling them where to be and just plays hard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do you think Mathurin or Griffin are not Spurs guys? Both seem like it to me. I want the former, not the latter.
    They’re on the bumble to be fair, Mathurin oozes with confidence and made a comment about being the best player in the league in a couple of years which I love but that ain’t Spursy. AJ griffin is a Jesus freak

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Vassell was well discussed.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have decided that if there is no one to draft who we realistically think we can look to in a year and a half and say, "go get me a bucket," I am more than content to wait on Jalen Duren to grow up.

There is a likelihood of him being better than what Jak is sooner rather than later at the least, and he is still only like 12 years old with a big body set to get monstrous. He shows potential as a passer, shooter near the basket, and intimidator.

Call Timmy's bumming-it-up ass up to teach Duren some post offense, and call it a day.
    Last edited by tim_duncan_fan; 06-19-2022 at 10:21 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re on the bumble to be fair, Mathurin oozes with confidence and made a comment about being the best player in the league in a couple of years which I love but that ain’t Spursy. AJ griffin is a Jesus freak
    Makes me like them both more...we could use more confidence and conviction..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That, plus why are we looking for diamonds in the rough at pick 9? Or at least, let’s hope they aren’t dumpster diving for bargains at #9.
    It might be worth it as a diamond in the rough if he showed potential at doing anything else.

I haven't seen anything in videos that showed off anything except shooting and missing and some decent defense.

His tools are average.

He doesn't attack the rim or get to the line or play above the rim.

He doesn't playmake or operate in the pick and roll in the limited amount of stuff I watched.

He's not a defensive monster who wreaks havoc and generates events like blocks or steals at a noteworthy rate.

At least Primo hit shots at a high rate

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously I’m all in on Eason. So what’s more useful: teaching Eason patience and allow him to learn team basketball to go along with his NBA ready body and dominant physical skills, or draft a younger guy (in this weird world, that means 18 months younger) and hope for him to fill out his frame and become aggressive?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The last thing this organization needs is to be listening to somebody OLDER than Pop, jesus

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have decided that if there is no one to draft who we realistically think we can look to in a year and a half and say, "go get me a bucket," I am more than content to wait on Jalen Duren to grow up.

There is a likelihood of him being better than what Jak is sooner rather than later at the least, and he is still only like 12 years old with a big body set to get monstrous. He shows potential as a passer, shooter near the basket, and intimidation.

Call Timmy's bumming-it-up ass up to teach Duren some post offense, and call it a day.
    Sounds like a plan to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO that's the biggest risk: trying to outsmart ourselves. The swing for the fences type picks flopped (Samanic) or are yet to show anything of note (Primo), while those who did work out were actually the ones involving players who consensus had going higher (DM, KJ), and happened to fall into our lap. In fact, we PASSED on Keldon Johnson once, and unexpectedly lucked into finding him again at 29 with the second pick.

Every time we passed on a player that consensus would have us take (Haliburton in 2020, Sengun in 2021), our choices actually fared worse, and in all cases where our picks outperformed their rank, we were relegated to a passive role and no choice but to let the board do the filtering for us. So yes, I am concerned that we fall into that temptation again, believing we can sweep through the mud to find that hidden gem no one else sees, likely because it's not there, and miss the value in front of our noses.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously I’m all in on Eason. So what’s more useful: teaching Eason patience and allow him to learn team basketball to go along with his NBA ready body and dominant physical skills, or draft a younger guy (in this weird world, that means 18 months younger) and hope for him to fill out his frame and become aggressive?
    After watching that 2 hour long film session I thought that Eason was too wild, too unskilled, and too selfish or dim or raw.

But after thinking about it, no one is better at swagger jacking than Pop. He can turn confident brash young men into timid wallflowers better than anyone. Maybe that's just what Eason needs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If not Johnny Davis or Mathurin at 9, it makes a ton of sense to go Duren or Mark Williams

Thread Information