Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-draf...mark-williams/

I understand the draw to Jalen Duren and Mark Williams but it's difficult to get on board.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really don’t think they will. They take BPA at 9 which will be a Guard or wing and then package 20 + 25 to try and move up and grab Williams or Eason or whoever their guy is if he’s still available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless poodle is moved then no need to worry

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I miss the good old days

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it only really makes sense if they see Poeltl as expendable, but he's improved greatly and is turning into a nice hub for the offense. He's flawed enough that replacing him isn't out of the question -- he's owed more money, is getting older. I also see how the team might want to have C/PF pairings, since there doesn't seem to be many great PF solutions. Poeltl/[Williams/Duren] paired with Collins/Landale in some sets. Despite what some say, Collins will likely be seeing time as a PF. I also doubt his strength against top bigs.

It's interesting how the draft mock world is going heavy on the Spurs taking Duren there, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't realize Poeltl was unrestricted next summer. If they can't get an extension worked out by September I'd prolly trade him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game has changed drastically. If poeltl has better switch ability than these two then why bother.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that the center position is already well-filled and that it wouldn’t make sense to draft one barring a Poeltl trade. If the front office can find a trade on draft night for Poeltl that makes sense (or if they’re confident they can find one at the deadline), then drafting Duren at #9 makes sense. Otherwise, they should draft a power forward.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice read thanks !

I agree on a lof of things. Spurs needs a quality defensive big badly but spending a lottery pick in that way may not be the best to do.

Still i think that Poetl contract makes this weird because if Poetl is a lock for 2-3 years they could use the pick on a back up and then move on Poetl after one or two years ala Okongwu in Atlanta. I think the later was gaining playing time during the year and that makes Capela expendable.

If your rookie is going to play 20-25 minutes per game then it's ok to take Duren or Williams behind Poetl.
    Last edited by duncan2150; 06-20-2022 at 02:57 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great write up OP

There's a scenario where Spurs still have Poeltl but draft the new C anyway and then wait till closer to the deadline to dump off Poeltl and start bring up the new guy in behind Zollins/Lansdale.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand why they probably won't, but I still will have Duren on my hope-for list behind Mathurin and possibly one or two more.

I just think he would be entertaining to watch playing 15 minutes a game behind Poeltl. Don't much care for Collins at present.

Most of the other guys rumored there probably would play even less. Daniels is a wing who can't shoot. Davis is a smaller wing who can't shoot. Christie looks like another wing who in college could not hit threes. Sochan should have more of an avenue to minutes but also can't shoot.

The response to all that will be something like, "Wait until they develop! Wait until Chip! Until Pop!"

But no one ever gives Duren the same consideration. With Primo, it was non-stop "born in December!!!". But Duren with a November birthday gets treated like a bum.

I know he won't be the pick, but I'll always wonder what kind of improvements Duren could have made in San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl is already a good center (not great or elite, before any idiot thinks I’m saying otherwise) and is known as such. Any player brought in, especially a rook, would possibly bring only a marginal improvement to the team as a whole. It’s what I’ve said all season long. The Spurs have bigger fish to fry elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree here. The Spurs obviously need a PF with a high skillset meanig 3-Point shooting, weakside shotblocking, rebounding and a good transition game. That type of player is not in our draft range. Poeltl while being an elite rim protector and screen setter has no postgame, is foul prone defending post up bigs and cant shoot nor make free throws at a respectable rate. His type of skillset is the easiest to replace by drafting a big. Besides that he has high value on the trade market.

To me it makes the most sense to draft a big and trade Poeltl and fillers for a PF like OG Anounoby or John Collins. That way the Spurs get a strong starting PF and they can then throw the rookie into the rotation. They would have the center spot locked for about 4.5 million giving them some more cap flexibility than when they would extend Poeltl. They could start Zach Collins at the 5 and give the rookie C minutes off the bench. This to me seems to be the best way to improve the team right now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beyond that, building around a center just isn’t ideal anymore in today’s age. When all your resources are put into your all star Center, everything else falls apart. Centers have more utility and responsibility to defend, so they are more likely to foul out. Opposing teams feast whenever your center goes to the bench. Teams with these star level centers are exploited easier, and we’ve seen it over and over. That’s why the hill is tougher to climb for teams like Denver and Philadelphia whereas teams with tier 2 wing or guard depth excel because they can subs ute the production much easier. Think about it. When Tatum or Curry goes out, you have another guy to spell him on the court AND on the bench. But if Jokic is out, you can only sub him with ONE much lesser center. So this is my argument against the whole “there’s been MVP finalists at the C position year after year”.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^and this applies to only scenarios where either Duren or M Will pan out. Chances are against them that they even will reach that level. Putting all your eggs into a basket like that is simply not smart.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beyond that, building around a center just isn’t ideal anymore in today’s age. When all your resources are put into your all star Center, everything else falls apart. Centers have more utility and responsibility to defend, so they are more likely to foul out. Opposing teams feast whenever your center goes to the bench. Teams with these star level centers are exploited easier, and we’ve seen it over and over. That’s why the hill is tougher to climb for teams like Denver and Philadelphia whereas teams with tier 2 wing or guard depth excel because they can subs ute the production much easier. Think about it. When Tatum or Curry goes out, you have another guy to spell him on the court AND on the bench. But if Jokic is out, you can only sub him with ONE much lesser center. So this is my argument against the whole “there’s been MVP finalists at the C position year after year”.
    I might be misunderstanding things. I guess I don't see how drafting a center at #9 would mean the Spurs were 'building around a center". It would just be the number 9 pick in a weak draft. I wouldn't think they were building around wings who can't shoot it they picked Davis or Dieng or Christie etc.

They still wouldn't have anyone to really build around as a #1 star. That element would just be a can kicked down the road for a future draft or trade or free agency. So maybe they'd have a a Robert Williams, but they'd still be looking for a Tatum and Brown to build around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I might be misunderstanding things. I guess I don't see how drafting a center at #9 would mean the Spurs were 'building around a center". It would just be the number 9 pick in a weak draft. I wouldn't think they were building around wings who can't shoot it they picked Davis or Dieng or Christie etc.

They still wouldn't have anyone to really build around as a #1 star. That element would just be a can kicked down the road for a future draft or trade or free agency. So maybe they'd have a a Robert Williams, but they'd still be looking for a Tatum and Brown to build around.
    Despite your opinion that this is a weak draft, I highly doubt the Spurs organization share the same feelings. They’ve made diamonds out of prospects majority felt were weak before and I’m confident they put that into consideration with their selections.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite your opinion that this is a weak draft, I highly doubt the Spurs organization share the same feelings. They’ve made diamonds out of prospects majority felt were weak before and I’m confident they put that into consideration with their selections.
    They might feel it's the greatest draft of all time. Maybe it is.

Doesn't mean that they're 100% set on building around Max Christie or AJ Griffin if they choose him at 9 or that they expect him to be their franchise player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They might feel it's the greatest draft of all time. Maybe it is.

Doesn't mean that they're 100% set on building around Max Christie or AJ Griffin if they choose him at 9 or that they expect him to be their franchise player.
    That’s something entirely different than what I said, but ok.

Bottom-line: The Spurs likely go into any draft selecting a player that gives the best hope they can develop them into a cornerstone. The outcome doesn’t always meet the hope but that doesn’t mean the hope wasn’t there.

No, the Spurs never put their eggs into one basket and build around a #9 pick. That’s never been the Spurs, as evidenced by their decisions to always put their rookies into the gleague developmental program. Doesn’t make sense to go make hyperbolic statements like this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stiil have Duren at my pick tbh. I like the guy at ude. I think he's is gonna have an immediate impact on any team he'll play and I can see him developing into a nice force in this league. Not superstar but the kind of very solid, reliable player you want in your team. Don't see any other BPA at 9 anyway and guard/wing worth passing on him or on any PF/C still available at 9 (Sochan, Mathurin).

Unless you're in tank mode, what's point or getting another 2/3 to develop? Not like this draft was a great one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The draft next season will also have some pretty interesting big guys. Like Victor Wembanyama, Dereck Livey, K’lal Ware, to name a few.

unless the front office feels one of the big guys who are gonna be available in this draft is the best player available with the 9th pick I would think (and hope) they will go for a play maker or a player who actually has good BBIQ that could help the team

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't realize Poeltl was unrestricted next summer. If they can't get an extension worked out by September I'd prolly trade him.
    Yeah, which undercuts his value. If I were another team I’d be wary of giving up too much for Jak without assurances.

I’m starting to favor the idea of an extend now (up to $60M/4y), and trade at the deadline scenario.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-draf...mark-williams/

I understand the draw to Jalen Duren and Mark Williams but it's difficult to get on board.
    Perfectly executed..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, which undercuts his value. If I were another team I’d be wary of giving up too much for Jak without assurances.

I’m starting to favor the idea of an extend now (up to $60M/4y), and trade at the deadline scenario.
    I've been a proponent of going the extend and trade route myself...I do think though that if they trade him now that the team acquiring him can get assurances from his agent on resigning next summer..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with the 9th pick as it stands, i think the spurs have better options than to go with a center as well. as for jakob, if the spurs feel that they can retain him for good value, they should do it.

Thread Information