Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry isn't better than Durant. He didn't even make the playoffs in 2021. If Durant had the same team Curry had that season, he would have made the playoffs. Better players don't play 2nd fiddle to worse players. Both on the floor at the same time in 2 consecutive finals, Durant showed he was the better, more effective player and was rewarded the MVP for it each time. Where Curry surpasses Durant is obviously in his shooting but also in his demeanor. KD has a chip on his shoulder. Else he stays in Oakland and they win 5 or more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry warps the dimensions of the court

Look at how teams defend GS when Curry is on the court vs whrn he’s not

Dude is a monster, like DAF said he’s like Shaq, his mere presence on the court changes everything
    This is true for KD as well, though not the same range. The difference is you cannot actually guard KD at the 3. He can pretty much shoot over anyone in the league most of the time. He just likes to be paired with career stat chasers or head cases.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bird couldn't run a break like Magic, so didn't get his team as many easy points. Magic is the best passer the league has ever seen, as great a passer as Bird was. And please don't put Bird and defense in the same sentence.
    Not going to pretend I watched him play a lot Bird had awesome defensive metrics his first like five seasons in the league and solid ones other years in various different modern defensive measurements. He also made the all-defensive team three times in those early years so its not like it was just stat nerds that liked him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry warps the dimensions of the court

Look at how teams defend GS when Curry is on the court vs whrn he’s not

Dude is a monster, like DAF said he’s like Shaq, his mere presence on the court changes everything
    As do most superstars tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imho, he already passed Magic and Bird.

Jordan
    Wilt
    Lebron
    Duncan
    Kareem
    Shaq
    Curry
    Bird
    Magic
    Russell/Durant

What say you?
    Passed Magic and Bird? No friggin way

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Bird couldn't run a break like Magic, so didn't get his team as many easy points. Magic is the best passer the league has ever seen, as great a passer as Bird was. And please don't put Bird and defense in the same sentence. I think they're pretty close overall though. And Bird did get ed having to go through Philly / Milwaukee / Detroit every year while LA got a free pass to the Finals in the 80s unless Kareem wanted to the bed against Houston centers.
    Fair all around. Magic and Bird were good help defenders nothing more. Magic bring a guard had tougher assignments. Magic is the better passer clearly Bird the better shooter and rebounder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You said you never even watched these guys when they played though. Magic was a revolutionary point guard who would throw pinpoint baseball passes to get guys easy layups all the time. Bird couldn't do that , no one other than Magic could find those holes in the defense. It was funny because soft ass Kareem used to about Magic throwing the ball too hard, to which he was told just ing catch the ball. Magic always knew where guys were and would make no look passes all the time that the defense never could anticipate. Magic's gotta be the smartest player I have ever seen, he makes Manu's BBIQ look like Marcus Smart's.
    I said I didn't watch them enough, season after season. I've seen plenty full games of them and highlights to know the kind of passers they were.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said I didn't watch them enough, season after season. I've seen plenty full games of them and highlights to know the kind of passers they were.
    LOL highlights. I remember when Andre Drummond looked like he'd be an elite passer from highlights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have every right to believe what you believe. This type of is all subjective. And when you get into these topics of all time greats, realize that when you're talking top 20, top 30 all time, all of those players in that range are/were bonafide stud superstars. And you start nit-picking based on your personal, and again subjective, preferences in a player, likes and dislikes, what team they played for, and whether you even like the player personally. So have all the appalled faux disbelief in my opinion you want. End of the day, it's an opinion, same as yours.

I'll start by responding to your comment about ranking guys ahead of Curry who have 2 or fewer les as top dog like Hakeem, Kobe, Dirk, etc. Well, that's because one could argue that Curry's 2nd and 3rd les when Durant was on the team, Curry wasn't the top dog of those teams either. And then further, you can diminish the quality of his first le because the opposing team's injuries. Not take the le away, just diminish how great of a le run it was, plus he didn't even win FMVP. So that's how. The way you discredit several of Kobe's les, one could do the same with 3 if Curry's rings.

I don't use one specific thing, category, accomplishment to rank players. It's not just les. It's not just individual stats. It's not just advanced stats or quality of compe ion or era comparison or transcendent impact on the game. It's not just one of those. It's all of those, plus more. The variables are endless. And it's why in these discussions, there's no true right or wrong.

Anyway, I didn't really want to do it. But I acquiesce to your challenge of how dumb you believe my take was. So here are 19 players I personally rank ahead of Steph, not in specific order, but roughly in order:

Jordan, LeBron, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Bird, Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, Russell, Kobe, Durant, Oscar, Moses, Dr. J, Dirk, KG, Jerry, Zeke.

And some will find some of those names to be preposterous as well. That's fine too. You don't have to agree or accept the opinion. Opinions, assholes, that old quip.

Here are another handful of names I rank behind Steph but I think could have an argument over him depending what kinds of factors you use to rank:

Elgin, Pistol Pete, AI, DRob, Harden, Russ, Barkley, Wade, CP3...

Now to be clear, I don't think CP3 is higher than Steph. And come to think of it, I don't know where I'd even rank him. But I included him to make a point. His career advanced stats regard him as like a top 10 player. So if someone ranked players based on career advanced stats, there's an argument.

Anyway, believe what you want. I'll do the same.
    Sure, it's all subjective, but if I were to say there are 15 folks better than Jordan, everyone would say my opinion is re ed. The same applies here, there aren't 20 or 30 players better than Curry in the history of the game, and it's not a matter of likes or dislikes. I have been actively rooting against the Warriors and Curry ever since they became a juggermaut, but at some point you just gotta acknowledge greatness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry isn't better than Durant. He didn't even make the playoffs in 2021. If Durant had the same team Curry had that season, he would have made the playoffs. Better players don't play 2nd fiddle to worse players. Both on the floor at the same time in 2 consecutive finals, Durant showed he was the better, more effective player and was rewarded the MVP for it each time. Where Curry surpasses Durant is obviously in his shooting but also in his demeanor. KD has a chip on his shoulder. Else he stays in Oakland and they win 5 or more.
    Swap Curry for Durant in those Warriors teams and they don't win any championship. Curry without Durant has 2, while Kevin keeps on choking alongside MVPs and all-NBA players.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Eh, all-time lists are purely subjective and there will never be a definitive answer. However, Curry's book isn't finished yet. So it'll be interesting to see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You said you never even watched these guys when they played though. Magic was a revolutionary point guard who would throw pinpoint baseball passes to get guys easy layups all the time. Bird couldn't do that , no one other than Magic could find those holes in the defense. It was funny because soft ass Kareem used to about Magic throwing the ball too hard, to which he was told just ing catch the ball. Magic always knew where guys were and would make no look passes all the time that the defense never could anticipate. Magic's gotta be the smartest player I have ever seen, he makes Manu's BBIQ look like Marcus Smart's.
    Bird can make those limping passes alright. But you are right magic is very good at finding that hole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Magic also threw pinpoint accurate passes to Celtics players in 1984

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ranking is based on narratives which is based on cir stances. People routinely cite bird and magic saving the league but if they played in an era when the league was flourishing and they got the same accolades stats everything else does that make them less great? I’d say not, but their ranking would likely drop.

Similar to jordan. He brought the league to new heights but if he won six les in the 00 but the league didn’t grow at that dramatic rate and sports writers didn’t grow up in an era of be like mike he won’t be head and shoulders the best ever.

Currys narrative is great. He literally changed how the league works and there were only a handful of people who did that.

Wilt with all the rule changes to limit him and make white Boston fans happy.
    Jordan with all the rule changes to help him and make TV execs and corporate sponsors happy.
    Shaq bending the rules on what is an offensive foul and what is a foul on him.
    Then there’s curry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, Manu must have watched tape of that series before Game 6 in 2013.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ranking is based on narratives which is based on cir stances. People routinely cite bird and magic saving the league but if they played in an era when the league was flourishing and they got the same accolades stats everything else does that make them less great? I’d say not, but their ranking would likely drop.

Similar to jordan. He brought the league to new heights but if he won six les in the 00 but the league didn’t grow at that dramatic rate and sports writers didn’t grow up in an era of be like mike he won’t be head and shoulders the best ever.

Currys narrative is great. He literally changed how the league works and there were only a handful of people who did that.

Jordan with all the rule changes to help him and make TV execs and corporate sponsors happy.
    Then there’s curry.
    LOL what? White Boston asshole hated the Celtics because they were too black. The Bruins drew better attendance at the bottom of the NHL standings in the 60s than the Celtics did winning les every year. Boston didn't start liking the Celtics until they were led by Cowens and Havlicek.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, Manu must have watched tape of that series before Game 6 in 2013.
    it still hurts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At Curry ahead of Johnson, Bird, Durant, etc. because of the agenda driven national media brainwashing casuals into thinking their latest unprecedented opponent injury luck championship (no Murray, Porter Jr., Hardaway Jr., R. Williams and Smart hurt) somehow makes him any greater than he was.
    durant started his career on a Seattle/OKC team that quickly became stacked with high end talent and couldnt win. he then joined a team that just won 73 games the prior year and won a championship the year before with an elite core in curry/klay/green. curry had just won consecutive MVP's including one unanimously. durant was there for 3 years and won twice. then he left and teamed with with kyrie to try to build another stacked team and has failed there too

i dont see the argument for durant tbh. obviously a remarkable and unique talent, but man his career arc doesnt build much of a case. curry won with his team before and after durant.

you make a point about injury luck but then again the only reason the warriors werent in the thick of it in recent years was injury luck as well. curry basically missed the whole 19-20 season and then klay missed his second consecutive year in 20-21

imo curry is pretty squarely in the top 10 and after that its just a matter of argument to see exactly how high he is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    outside of chris paul, high assist guys have always been high turnover guys as well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL what? White Boston asshole hated the Celtics because they were too black. The Bruins drew better attendance at the bottom of the NHL standings in the 60s than the Celtics did winning les every year. Boston didn't start liking the Celtics until they were led by Cowens and Havlicek.
    It’s either black guys playing for the Celtics (so try Cousy) or black guys playing for the 6ers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see a case for Durant. He’s not accomplished anything without ridiculously stacked teams and have everything failed multiple times with incredibly stacked teams. The only black mark on curry was that 73 win team. Durante got OKC and nets.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    durant started his career on a Seattle/OKC team that quickly became stacked with high end talent and couldnt win. he then joined a team that just won 73 games the prior year and won a championship the year before with an elite core in curry/klay/green. curry had just won consecutive MVP's including one unanimously. durant was there for 3 years and won twice. then he left and teamed with with kyrie to try to build another stacked team and has failed there too

i dont see the argument for durant tbh. obviously a remarkable and unique talent, but man his career arc doesnt build much of a case. curry won with his team before and after durant.

you make a point about injury luck but then again the only reason the warriors werent in the thick of it in recent years was injury luck as well. curry basically missed the whole 19-20 season and then klay missed his second consecutive year in 20-21

imo curry is pretty squarely in the top 10 and after that its just a matter of argument to see exactly how high he is
    I know the story. The difference is, the Thunder's big 3 were in their early 20s and lost to one of the 2 greatest players ever at his peak, with another top 30 player ever near his peak. Westbrook's historically awful decision making may have derailed them, but history tells us that kind of talent, with enough kicks at the can, finds a way.

The argument for Durant is he can basically do what Curry does as well as, for the most part, traditional big man duties because of his stature, which is why he's superior.

Yeah, but the Warriors have had far more injury luck for than against and I'd even argue the past two years were lucky because they needed to recharge and retool around the core.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    outside of chris paul, high assist guys have always been high turnover guys as well
    But those 84 turnovers looked really bad, like he had never played organized basketball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Then there’s curry.
    WarriorRef with the continual moving screens, Donkey nutt kicks and hand hacks etc is absolutely just as egregious as Snaq and KobeRef.
    Phenominal shooter no doubt, and his contribution is the quick release.

No better place is this seen then the 2015 Finals. Lebron easily the MVP for BB intelligents.
    Next Lebron beats them in 2016 with Tristan Kardashian and company.
    2017 Lebron has a Timmy Duncanesque 51 points and all around kick ass game in Game 1. Stolen from him by the Tweet! Timeout! It's not a charge on media darling Durant, it's a reversal call of block on Lebron. Lets not forget 17 was the rip off for the ages of Zaza.

Lebron went on to break a bone in his finger slamming a wall in the locker room he was soo pissed at the fraud. Was probably 70% at best the rest of the series.
    Smart thing to do? No. Human and 100 understandable? Right on imo.

Curry can suck when compared to Lebron. No where near the level of Lebron and i would argue Lebron was more of a game changer then Curry. Curry and the Warriors implemented the immediate quick release by at least 3 of 5 players on the floor. But Lebron being a 6'8" athletic freak who can play all 5 positions has not been seen since got Johnson in 1980.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know the story. The difference is, the Thunder's big 3 were in their early 20s and lost to one of the 2 greatest players ever at his peak, with another top 30 player ever near his peak. Westbrook's historically awful decision making may have derailed them, but history tells us that kind of talent, with enough kicks at the can, finds a way.

The argument for Durant is he can basically do what Curry does as well as, for the most part, traditional big man duties because of his stature, which is why he's superior.

Yeah, but the Warriors have had far more injury luck for than against and I'd even argue the past two years were lucky because they needed to recharge and retool around the core.
    lol imagine two of your best players missing two years of their primes and saying its good injury luck to recharge and retool

curry has won before and after durant. durant was only able to win when he teamed up with curry on an already stacked team. no comparison.

"he can do more" is not a compelling argument. a lot of centers could do more things than shaq. didnt matter. shaq did some things remarkably well and is a top 10 player because of it. i dont care that embiid can do more things than shaq. shaq > embiid.

durant is an offensive monster like he was designed in a lab, but curry has really transcended the game
    Last edited by spurraider21; 06-21-2022 at 05:11 PM.

Thread Information