Bird
    Magic
    Russell/Durant

What say you?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not better than Magic, get out of here with that. For sure better than Kareem and Durant though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not better than Magic, get out of here with that. For sure better than Kareem and Durant though.
    I don't like to compare Curry to Magic, 2 different profiles tbh

They can't guard each other either

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way I'm picking Durant over Olajuwon, probably not over Kobe either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is Magic that untouchably great, seriously? He couldn't shoot nor defend. If he hadn't been drafted into one of the most stacked teams of all-time, he wouldn't even be considered top 10.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is Magic that untouchably great, seriously? He couldn't shoot nor defend. If he hadn't been drafted into one of the most stacked teams of all-time, he wouldn't even be considered top 10.
    You're overrating the out of Abdul-Jabbar. That was a team that would win 40-47 games every year until Magic got there. You're making it sound like Durant joining the 73 win Warriors. Magic was the Lakers. He was their break and he's the best ever at leading one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rating Magic and Laker Kareem will always be a never ending debate
    You can make arguments for and against both

It's also hard to tell if Worthy was overrated or underrated

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're overrating the out of Abdul-Jabbar. That was a team that would win 40-47 games every year until Magic got there. You're making it sound like Durant joining the 73 win Warriors. Magic was the Lakers. He was their break and he's the best ever at leading one.
    Might be, I'm ranking based solely on stats/accolades/metrics. I didn't get to see them play enough season after season to make an opinion based solely on eye test. I'm just ranking Kareem ahead of Magic because he did win a championship of his own. He also measures as a much more complete player on both sides of the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Here's an argument:

Kareem leading the Lakers without Magic:
    1975-76: 40-42, missed playoffs
    1976-77: 53-29, made WCF got swept by Walton
    1977-78: 45-37, lost to Seattle in the first round
    1978-79: 47-35, lost to Seattle in the second round

Magic leading the Lakers without Kareem:
    1989-90: 63-19, lost to Phoenix in the second round
    1990-91: 58-24, lost to Chicago in the Finals

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bird is also a player that by any objective metric was better than Magic but usually gets ranked lower because his teams won 3 rings instead of the 5 Magic's teams won.

Bird could pretty much do anything that Magic did but with much better shooting and defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's an argument:

Kareem leading the Lakers without Magic:
    1975-76: 40-42, missed playoffs
    1976-77: 53-29, made WCF got swept by Walton
    1977-78: 45-37, lost to Seattle in the first round
    1978-79: 47-35, lost to Seattle in the second round

Magic leading the Lakers without Kareem:
    1989-90: 63-19, lost to Phoenix in the second round
    1990-91: 58-24, lost to Chicago in the Finals
    Under that premise:

Kareem leading the Bucks without Magic

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Bird is also a player that by any objective metric was better than Magic but usually gets ranked lower because his teams won 3 rings instead of the 5 Magic's teams won.

Bird could pretty much do anything that Magic did but with much better shooting and defense.
    truth tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might be, I'm ranking based solely on stats/accolades/metrics. I didn't get to see them play enough season after season to make an opinion based solely on eye test. I'm just ranking Kareem ahead of Magic because he did win a championship of his own. He also measures as a much more complete player on both sides of the floor.
    I can't look past Kareem not being able to consistently lead his team to 50 win seasons without Magic or Oscar. The year Robertson retired he led the Bucks to 38 wins in the weakest era in NBA history when a lot of top talent like Julius Erving, George Gervin, Moses Malone, etc was in the ABA. Not like he was on an island in Milwaukee either considering he had Bob Dandridge on the team too. Then forced the trade to LA and led them to 40 wins. At least he missed 17 games in '75 when he led the Bucks to 38 wins, but he played 82 games in '76 leading the Lakers to 40 wins despite still having a pretty solid Gail Goodrich next to him. 77 he led them to 53 wins but got his teeth kicked in by Walton in the playoffs. 78 and 79 very disappointing seasons losing to kind of meh Seattle team early in the playoffs both years. While having Jamaal Wilkes and Norm Nixon next to him both years and Adrian Dantley too in 79. Got beat by Moses Malone when he was a one man team on the Rockets in 81 when the idiot coach Westhead decided to slow the offense down and run it through Kareem. If Larry Bird or Magic Johnson or Tim Duncan or Shaquille O'Neal are playing most of the season they're taking you to 50 wins, can't say that for Kareem.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Worthy seemed to get adequate praise.

I always felt like Byron Scott was underrated on that team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Under that premise:

Kareem leading the Bucks without Magic
    He had Oscar. Led those Bucks to 38 wins and then forced a trade the year Oscar retired.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Imho, he already passed Magic and Bird.

Jordan
    Wilt
    Lebron
    Duncan
    Kareem
    Shaq
    Curry
    Bird
    Magic
    Russell/Durant

What say you?
    I like your top 5 a lot.

6-10

6.) Bird
    7.) Russell
    8.) Magic
    9.) Curry
    10.) Shaq

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bird couldn't run a break like Magic, so didn't get his team as many easy points. Magic is the best passer the league has ever seen, as great a passer as Bird was. And please don't put Bird and defense in the same sentence. I think they're pretty close overall though. And Bird did get ed having to go through Philly / Milwaukee / Detroit every year while LA got a free pass to the Finals in the 80s unless Kareem wanted to the bed against Houston centers.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Bird couldn't run a break like Magic, so didn't get his team as many easy points. Magic is the best passer the league has ever seen, as great a passer as Bird was. And please don't put Bird and defense in the same sentence. I think they're pretty close overall though. And Bird did get ed having to go through Philly / Milwaukee / Detroit every year while LA got a free pass to the Finals unless Kareem wanted to the bed against Houston centers.
    This.

Magic was a true point with great handles and vision, the likes of which has yet to be matched since he retired, tbh. Watching the no look passes and threading of the needle was beautiful.

I have Bird higher on my list because of his scoring ability and clutch gene, but he was not the passer Magic was.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    MJ, Kareem
    Bill, Bird, Magic, Duncan, Lebron
    Wilt, Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe, Curry

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    When Lebron breaks many of Kareem's records. I think Kareem's legacy takes a significant hit.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    I don't have a list in mind and don't feel like sitting down and doing a ranking, but taking more of a guestimation approach, I think Steph could probably rank somewhere in the 20-30 range all time.

He is without a doubt in my mind the greatest shooter in NBA history. That alone carries a significant amount of weight. Yet that by itself doesn't raise his entire game to top 10 levels imo.

"Greatest" is a term that can be interpreted different ways.

If we rank players who made an impact on or influenced changing the game, I'd put Curry up there with the likes of Jordan and Wilt and Magic and Iverson. I think Curry has had a profound impact on the evolution of the game.

Idk that I'd rank him nearly as high on an all time list because of that and his shooting ability.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At Curry ahead of Johnson, Bird, Durant, etc. because of the agenda driven national media brainwashing casuals into thinking their latest unprecedented opponent injury luck championship (no Murray, Porter Jr., Hardaway Jr., R. Williams and Smart hurt) somehow makes him any greater than he was.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    At Curry ahead of Johnson, Bird, Durant, etc. because of the agenda driven national media brainwashing casuals into thinking their latest unprecedented opponent injury luck championship (no Murray, Porter Jr., Hardaway Jr., R. Williams and Smart hurt) somehow makes him any greater than he was.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He sucked last season, but he's still the highest paid player on the team and would have been a key rotation player (unlike Wiseman, who wasn't going to crack the Warriors playoff rotation).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry is somewhere in the 12-13 range tbh.

Jordan
    Lebron
    Kareem
    Magic
    Duncan
    Bird
    Russell
    Wilt
    Shaq
    Hakeem
    Kirby
    Oscar