Page 13 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when's the last time we had a top 6 pick?
    In the last 5 years what percentage of top 6 picks put up numbers and had a defensive presence consistent or better than DJ.

It makes no sense. We’d be thrilled if a top 6 pick turned out as good as DJ. But we gotta move him to roll the dice again on the off chance we land something better.

That wasn’t necessarily directed to you. I just latched into your post for convenience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree Ayton ain't Poeltl, but I also think he's much better defensively than the numbers suggest. They also seem to think that he won't further improve his game. A starting five of

Murray/Vassell/Keldon/J. Collins/Ayton

has not only no defensive holes (with Keldon being the only neutral defender), but this are also 5 players who can all give you 20 points per game and the oldest of them is DJ being 25. People need to think how good that line up might be 3 years down the line when everybody enters their prime, especially in a weak west where most of the star players are on the wrong side of 30.

The bench would most likely be

Jones/Branham/Primo/Sochan/Z. Collins with 3 players on rookie deals which saves a lot of cap space.

Moving Poeltl, J-Rich, Langford and McDermott would free up another 40 million. Paying Keldon won't be a problem. Vassell's and DJ's extensions won't kick in until 2024. At that point Ayton and John Collins would have 2 years left on their contracts, so moving any of them in the future shouldn't be an issue either.

With 2 years left on DJ's contract right now it makes sense for the Spurs to take on these deals and become more top heavy.
    While I’m generally a no on Ayton, this is a good sales pitch that has me more interested

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any interest in TJ Warren? He’s been fragile lately. May be a bargain buy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when's the last time we had a top 6 pick?
    I think it was when we drafted the guy who led us to 5 les...I'd like to try and emulate that with this draft..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it was when we drafted the guy who led us to 5 les...I'd like to try and emulate that with this draft..
    I know, but there‘s no chance. Spurs won‘t out tank the tanking teams. And Pop damn sure won‘t throw games. Vassell will make a huge leap. Primo will make one. Keldon will be better as well as Trae Jones and Zach Collins. Spurs would probably wind up with the 9th pick again

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know, but there‘s no chance. Spurs won‘t out tank the tanking teams. And Pop damn sure won‘t throw games. Vassell will make a huge leap. Primo will make one. Keldon will be better as well as Trae Jones and Zach Collins. Spurs would probably wind up with the 9th pick again
    Without Jak and DJ this is a bottom 5 and probably bottom 3 team in the league...if we can somehow get Sacramento's first next year in the DJ trade (JC going to Sacramento) then we could even have more ping pong balls in there...

I understand wanting to build around DJ and I thought we should have last week but didn't so I assume the FO doesn't see a championship path they can take with this roster so we'd be better off going for a real generational talent next year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the talent that's in this draft I think it's worth the gamble...next years draft isn't like this year's draft it's much higher level guys in the top 6..
    Who are these top 6 as Sharp I thought was top 3 next year and he went 7th in this years draft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who are these top 6 as Sharp I thought was top 3 next year and he went 7th in this years draft.
    2023 mock draft
    1. Oklahoma City Thunder

Victor Wembanyama | ASVEL | PF/C| Age: 18.4

2. Detroit Pistons

Scoot Henderson | G League Ignite | PG | Age: 18.3

3. Orlando Magic

Nick Smith | Arkansas | PG/SG | Age: 18.1

4. Houston Rockets

Ausar Thompson | Overtime Elite | SG/SF | Age: 19.3

5. Sacramento Kings

Amen Thompson | Overtime Elite | PG/SG | Age: 19.3

6. San Antonio Spurs

Cameron Whitmore | Villanova | SF | Age: 17.9

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without Jak and DJ this is a bottom 5 and probably bottom 3 team in the league...if we can somehow get Sacramento's first next year in the DJ trade (JC going to Sacramento) then we could even have more ping pong balls in there...

I understand wanting to build around DJ and I thought we should have last week but didn't so I assume the FO doesn't see a championship path they can take with this roster so we'd be better off going for a real generational talent next year.
    I don’t see a deal with ATL that causes SAC to relinquish an unprotected 2023 pick and results in DJ leaving the Spurs. Seems like something ATL really really really wants, but the other partners are less excited about.

Now if they’re just eager to move Collins, I can see something like this:

SAS: Collins; Nerlens
    NYK: Romeo; KBD; Landale (all waivable)
    ATL: FRP 2023 via Knicks; Richardson; Doug

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see a deal with ATL that causes SAC to relinquish an unprotected 2023 pick and results in DJ leaving the Spurs. Seems like something ATL really really really wants, but the other partners are less excited about.

Sacramento was pretty high on Collins last week so I don't see what would have changed that but, you're right there's probably a deal involving the Knicks that makes sense as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

yea the pipe dream of spurs tearing it down and finishing in the bottom three barring an injury ain't happening

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2023 mock draft
    1. Oklahoma City Thunder

2. Detroit Pistons

3. Orlando Magic

4. Houston Rockets

5. Sacramento Kings

6. San Antonio Spurs

I can pull up the top 6 of any draft doesnt mean they are good. The thompson twins were thought to be top 40 recruits out of HS.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can pull up the top 6 of any draft doesnt mean they are good. The thompson twins were thought to be top 40 recruits out of HS.
    It doesn't mean they're good but most talent evaluators have all 6 above anyone in last weeks draft...so you either go with the upside that could be elite or stick with a good young defensive pg who's near his peak... I don't see a path to a championship with what we have do I'd go for the elite talent and hopefully get two from that group.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. If you'd have asked last last year for a top 6, many would have had Sharpe, Baldwin Jr., Hardy, TyTy Washington Caleb Houstan and Peyton Watson
    Rarely can you project accurately with a year of development left at their age, except for a chosen few (Anthony Davis, Chet, Banchero... now Wembanyama.)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't mean they're good but most talent evaluators have all 6 above anyone in last weeks draft...so you either go with the upside that could be elite or stick with a good young defensive pg who's near his peak... I don't see a path to a championship with what we have do I'd go for the elite talent and hopefully get two from that group.
    I have seen some list the 2023 draft as better but they also listed sharp high. If he went 7th here what does that say for the rest of the draft. Obviously some will be better but some will be worse as well.

I agree with the two paths to a championship but getting rid of an all star who has not even hit his prime I do not think is the right decision especially when the player we draft next year may not even end up being where DJ is now. Also add to the fact that wherever we trade DJ to would get better so the pick may not be high. (our pick would get better though).

One thing we really differ on is I see a path to a championship with DJ and it is not as far off as many people want to believe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

it‘s probably the Spurs asking about Collins and ATL tryin to somehow get DJ out of it I assume. Who knows

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have seen some list the 2023 draft as better but they also listed sharp high. If he went 7th here what does that say for the rest of the draft. Obviously some will be better but some will be worse as well.

I agree with the two paths to a championship but getting rid of an all star who has not even hit his prime I do not think is the right decision especially when the player we draft next year may not even end up being where DJ is now. Also add to the fact that wherever we trade DJ to would get better so the pick may not be high. (our pick would get better though).

One thing we really differ on is I see a path to a championship with DJ and it is not as far off as many people want to believe.
    Yes we differ on the path to a championship with DJ..you could be correct..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2023 mock draft
    1. Oklahoma City Thunder

2. Detroit Pistons

3. Orlando Magic

4. Houston Rockets

5. Sacramento Kings

6. San Antonio Spurs

Yeah most of that will change this time next year.
    Sorry, I mean a month prior to this time next year.
    We see this every single year.
    Barring injury, I don't see #1 changing though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sacramento was pretty high on Collins last week so I don't see what would have changed that but, you're right there's probably a deal involving the Knicks that makes sense as well.
    I'd imagine drafting Murray 4th overall changed it entirely.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd imagine drafting Murray 4th overall changed it entirely.
    I thought about that but it seems to me they felt like Collins could get them to the playoffs (although I think they're wrong) and Murray isn't going to help much with that as a starter in year 1.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought about that but it seems to me they felt like Collins could get them to the playoffs (although I think they're wrong) and Murray isn't going to help much with that as a starter in year 1.
    I know he's a rookie, but Murray is only 3 years younger than Collins.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know he's a rookie, but Murray is only 3 years younger than Collins.
    Yes and I think he'll be better longterm but Collins has several years experience on Murray at this level which is pretty valuable if you're looking at it from the short term perspective.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes and I think he'll be better longterm but Collins has several years experience on Murray at this level which is pretty valuable if you're looking at it from the short term perspective.
    Agreed. I just have a hard time believing they'd draft a plug and play PF at 4 and still give up their '23 lightly protected 1st for another one, especially when they've already got an overpriced backup C in Holmes and should want Barnes to still be able to play some PF.

Also, the Spurs are supposedly doing "intel" on Collins.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. I just have a hard time believing they'd draft a plug and play PF at 4 and still give up their '23 lightly protected 1st for another one, especially when they've already got an overpriced backup C in Holmes and should want Barnes to still be able to play some PF.

Also, the Spurs are supposedly doing "intel" on Collins.
    I have to admit the 'Spurs doing Intel of Collins' does lend to your view that Sacramento may be less interested with Keegan in tow.... but on the other hand...this is the Kings were talking about...so...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the last 5 years what percentage of top 6 picks put up numbers and had a defensive presence consistent or better than DJ.

It makes no sense. We’d be thrilled if a top 6 pick turned out as good as DJ. But we gotta move him to roll the dice again on the off chance we land something better.

That wasn’t necessarily directed to you. I just latched into your post for convenience.
    C'mon, don't you know the next pick is always the new Jordan?

Thread Information