Page 6 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No sense crying on spilled milk. I love what Sochan’s defense can bring to practically everybody, help with point-of-attack, hide Keldon, help on Poeltl. Sochan is like a Gorilla tape fix-all-leaks defense. Add Duren shot blocking and on-man defense into that. Man. Sochan, Duren, either Malaki/Blake, Liddell
    You're still crying

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dream scenario is using Richardson and/or Doug in a S&T for Ayton type. Get value that way while keeping some space to add players too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe but it also sounds like the Mavs really want him though, especially since they have few other ways to improve the roster around Luka.

On the other hand, I think the Knicks would give up a lot to get Murray starting with those 3 picks they just got from OKC.
    Apparently there are family members of Brunson working for the Knicks along with his godfather.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently there are family members of Brunson working for the Knicks along with his godfather.
    Oh wow, yeah that seem like a serious plan lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt anything happens with Jakob but it would be nice to have a shooting big like Turner next to a guy like Sochan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All those FRPs that NKY got are lotto protected right? If so, should have zero interest for the Spurs for DJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're still crying
    I’ll get over it

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would take a of a pivot to trade for KD. That kind of win-now move would require getting a big fish in free agency and sacrificing many of the picks and young players the Spurs have. But then again, what's the point of having those assets if not to use them? Some of the young 'uns will pan out but not all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dream scenario is using Richardson and/or Doug in a S&T for Ayton type. Get value that way while keeping some space to add players too
    Doug/J-Rich/Poeltl could help Suns imo.

I know it’s a cliche but Poeltl is better on a contender

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw this on twitter FWIW: “Knicks main focus is Jalen Brunson. Trade for Dejounte Murray secondary. #NBA”
    They don't have the lottery pics the spurs want to trade for Dejounte.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt anything happens with Jakob but it would be nice to have a shooting big like Turner next to a guy like Sochan
    I think by value of getting Sochan you sort of have to do something with Poeltl cause Sochan and Poeltl together might actually create negative spacing for our guards until Sochan learns to shoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah spurs should make a hard push for Ayton. I doubt lavine is going anywhere

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Durant is definitely better, but you don't move Murray in the pursuit of Durant. You keep Murray, snag a max guy in free agency and then go all in on Durant. Obviously you keep who you can. But that has to be the structure of an off-season that involves a Durant trade.

Anyway, if I'm Pop, I wait for the Grizzlies to release Green and then offer to let him rehab in SA and be a part-time coach for a while. I don't think Danny's future is in coaching, though stranger things, but I do think he can impart a fair bit of wisdom on the young guys. I think only Murray played on the team with Green at this point. All of the prospects know how to dribble, so we don't have to worry about Danny teaching them that. But they could all use some improvement with either defense or shooting. Having another guy with multiple rings in the building who craved out a role-player career doing those things might be a good counter-balance to the team's normal track of pushing young players to develop "star" skills immediately over role-player skills.
    Was thinking the same tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think by value of getting Sochan you sort of have to do something with Poeltl cause Sochan and Poeltl together might actually create negative spacing for our guards until Sochan learns to shoot.
    I thought this might be an issue as well. I like Sochan so I think PATFO need a change in philosophy somewhat. Sochan is essentially Dennis Rodman (same hair color too). Offensively, he can be placed wherever in a half court set (out of the way really). This changes the offensive mindset but Sochan, if used correctly on defense, is so viable.

Murray, Vassell, JK, Sochan and Poeltl look like a potent starting 5. First 2 players off the bench are McDermott (for Poeltl) and Primo for Vassell. Keep Sochan in but move him to C w/ Poeltl off the floor.

Spurs still need a real backup PG. Ayton is nice but unrealistic. Need to package JRich and some others for someone like Spencer Dinwiddie or just do a uva job convderting one of the SGs (Primo isn't the answer for that IMHO)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still not understanding the rationale behind wanting Ayton. He's a marginal upgrade over Jak who will cost you +$25MM a year more. He doesn't shoot 3s and doesn't give you better floor spacing. Is he better than Jak? Sure, but he doesn't change the game or solve the problems that Jak's limitations create.

If you are looking to fundamentally change the makeup of our team, I think a center like Mo Bamba or Thomas Bryant would be a much better fit. I'd even rather have a 4.5 like Jalen Smith over Ayton. I do not see how Ayton dramatically improves our team. Seems like ST is obsessed with him simply because he's a "star" who is a big, which is a perceived need of ours. We need a star, but our star doesn't have to be a C. Give me a serviceable C on a good deal like Jak and leave the flexibility in finding a star elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still feel like we are getting closer to making a decision on a direction. We should either build with DJ or trade him and Jak for draft assets knowing we'll have a high pick in next years draft. If we build I still think Collins fits here and should come cheap. Since Atl publicly proclaimed they were trading him last night and didn't might erode his value even further. Richardson (or a future 1st that Richardson might bring) + a future second might do it... I'm not sure if I prefer to build or trade out on DJ because I think he's at about his peak and his timeline is different that the guys we just brought in... I just hope the direction becomes clear when FA starts..
    i think the Spurs will see how the season goes. If there hasnt been any strides with player development, and we have the same record at the midpoint than we had last year i can see some trades being placed for draft picks. I can see the Spurs moving Purtle & Murray for the right package centered around picks. The Spurs would then play all the rookies for development and to go into tank mode for another lottery pick. Murray is a baller now but he wants to win now. By the time all of our 19 year old players start to come into their own, Murray will be approaching his 30s. It may benefit us and him to move him out for picks so we can continue our rebuild.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Durant ain’t comin’ to SA y’all..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still not understanding the rationale behind wanting Ayton. He's a marginal upgrade over Jak who will cost you +$25MM a year more. He doesn't shoot 3s and doesn't give you better floor spacing. Is he better than Jak? Sure, but he doesn't change the game or solve the problems that Jak's limitations create.

If you are looking to fundamentally change the makeup of our team, I think a center like Mo Bamba or Thomas Bryant would be a much better fit. I'd even rather have a 4.5 like Jalen Smith over Ayton. I do not see how Ayton dramatically improves our team. Seems like ST is obsessed with him simply because he's a "star" who is a big, which is a perceived need of ours. We need a star, but our star doesn't have to be a C. Give me a serviceable C on a good deal like Jak and leave the flexibility in finding a star elsewhere.
    He’s definitely better than Jak and has much larger offensive repertoire…beyond that it’s not like Sa is passing up on a star SF for him. Only so many chances to get a sub 25 year old star at any position. So you take the upgrades where you can because at worst he’s a significant asset in pursuit of another star. But he fits a positional need, his offense fits better with Sochan and his max is a very palatable one vs having to pay Supermax or what PHX would have to pay imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He's only 23, Jakob wasn't even close to the player Ayton was when he was 23. I think it's a great investment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unpopular opinion, I bet. But if Poeltl goes to the Suns, they are winning the c'ship. With shooters and playmakers around him and a game-plan that is based on a diverse number of P&R sets.. Poeltl will be a monster on the defensive end and a finisher/ facilitator on the offensive end. Plus with his salary, the Suns can also get another back-up (a shooter?/ a PG/ a combo guard?) to add to an already good team. Ayton is a better player than Poeltl, but I think Poeltl fits their squad better as he is a better defender and a more complementary player.

I think the Spurs are better off to stay pat vis-a-vis this year's FA class. They will do well to take in placeholders for draft picks like last year and roll the cap space for one more year. If Poeltl improves his shooting, he can be paid next season. The market for centers isn't hotting up anytime soon for Poeltl to command too big a salary like a max or anywhere close.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Unpopular opinion, I bet. But if Poeltl goes to the Suns, they are winning the c'ship. With shooters and playmakers around him and a game-plan that is based on a diverse number of P&R sets.. Poeltl will be a monster on the defensive end and a finisher/ facilitator on the offensive end. Plus with his salary, the Suns can also get another back-up (a shooter?/ a PG/ a combo guard?) to add to an already good team. Ayton is a better player than Poeltl, but I think Poeltl fits their squad better as he is a better defender and a more complementary player.

I think the Spurs are better off to stay pat vis-a-vis this year's FA class. They will do well to take in placeholders for draft picks like last year and roll the cap space for one more year. If Poeltl improves his shooting, he can be paid next season. The market for centers isn't hotting up anytime soon for Poeltl to command too big a salary like a max or anywhere close.
    Lol no. They couldn't score for against Dallas when it mattered, Poeltl isn't doing anything at all to fix that. Booker and Paul are not 1st/2nd championship options. Poeltl is not the difference between a ring and getting embarrassed in the semifinals imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Suns are done regardless. Paul is on the verge of falling off a cliff and Booker is overhyped. They have some nice roleplayers that they should prolly cash in on for picks tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All those FRPs that NKY got are lotto protected right? If so, should have zero interest for the Spurs for DJ.
    Yes lotto protected and more

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s definitely better than Jak and has much larger offensive repertoire…beyond that it’s not like Sa is passing up on a star SF for him. Only so many chances to get a sub 25 year old star at any position. So you take the upgrades where you can because at worst he’s a significant asset in pursuit of another star. But he fits a positional need, his offense fits better with Sochan and his max is a very palatable one vs having to pay Supermax or what PHX would have to pay imo.
    I undestand some people being cold on Ayton but i really think we didn't his best version already. And with the draft a big is the priority during the FA.

Imo you're not wrong but more with a Warriors type of team than the Suns. Like Joseph Kenny said the Suns may miss Ayton scoring more than Jak defense and while jak is a better rim protector, i'm not sure he's a better post defender than Ayton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information