Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NY passes new gun control law

Reminds me of “cuius regio, eius religio” - whoever reigns, their religion.

Was easy to understand and solved lots of problems.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NY passes new gun control law

But the NY Mayor is african american... and crime is historically low in NYC... how could it be?

rhetorical question

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

That great, wonderful man President Trump made this happen.
    I love this man with all me heart.

But, how, how did he make this happen?
    tee, hee.
    I'm glad you asked that question.
    & here is how...
    He dumped Clinton side of the road, hunted three Justices who would stand up and stand fast. That's how.
    The long & the short of it?
    Trump President.
    Not Clinton.

"Glory, glory hallelujah...His truth is marching on."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But the NY Mayor is african american... and crime is historically low in NYC... how could it be?

rhetorical question
    other states should take note. legislatures can move much faster than the Supreme Court.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    other states should take note. legislatures can move much faster than the Supreme Court.
    ...Trump did that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Republicans, smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murder good now

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somebody needs to inform the KKK that they're supposed to vote Democrat, they've seemed confused for the past 50 years.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

That great, wonderful man President Trump made this happen.
    I love this man with all me heart.

But, how, how did he make this happen?
    tee, hee.
    I'm glad you asked that question.
    & here is how...
    He dumped Clinton side of the road, hunted three Justices who would stand up and stand fast. That's how.
    The long & the short of it?
    Trump President.
    Not Clinton.

"Glory, glory hallelujah...His truth is marching on."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're pissed about the John Brown Gun Club defending drag brunches from far right wackos.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SCOTUS's historical analysis is whimsical garbage

The archives Birch encountered were clean, dark, and mostly empty, with large tables upon which the archivist laid a series of fragile law books from previous centuries. Examining the delicate pages, Birch was surprised by what she found: Santa Ana prohibited the concealed carry of weapons, including guns, in 1892, while neighboring Anaheim followed suit in 1893. Orange County itself, in which both cities are located, had also prohibited concealed carry for well more than a century.

In 2022’s Bruen decision, the Supreme Court struck down bans on concealed carry and expanded upon the previous standard for determining the cons utionality of gun regulations, declaring that authorities had to find analogous gun laws that existed prior to 1900. Justice Clarence Thomas, writing for the court, found that before that date, concealed carry bans were not part of America’s history and traditions, and they were thus uncons utional. Yet here, in a basement archive, Birch found evidence to the contrary, lost to history. And she had barely scratched the surface.
    Over and over again, Birch and Karabian found the same thing: strict limits on the use and possession of firearms, dating back at least to the 1850s, that belie Bruen’s vision of a 19th-century Wild West where the right to bear arms was almost never infringed on. The regulations uncovered were consistent as to weapons and across cities throughout Orange County, one of the more conservative counties in the state. “Many of these limitations were enacted shortly after cities were incorporated as part of their very first batch of laws,” Karabian said. “They were always framed as commonsense safety precautions.” She was surprised: “I thought: ‘Wait a minute—every city in conservative Orange County had a prohibition on concealed carry dating back to their earliest days?’ ”
    These regulations covered the gamut: “Almost every city had prohibitions on concealed carry,” Karabian said. Not just license requirements, she noted, but outright bans: “One of their first acts was to make sure that people are safe, which meant not carrying concealed weapons.” Other ordinances outlawed the firing of any gun within the city. California cities also required gun owners to store gunpowder safely, and restricted the amount of it that a person could store at one time.
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ce-thomas.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    totally unsurprising that Republicans lie about the history

A representative sampling: In the 19th century, the concealed carry of firearms was expressly forbidden in Memphis, Tennessee; Jersey City, Hoboken, and Plainfield, New Jersey; Chicago, Illinois; New Orleans, Louisiana; Olympia and Wilbur, Washington; and Denver, Colorado. More than 50 local governments outlawed the firing of any weapon within city limits. About 30 localities restricted or outlawed the storage of gunpowder, including Santa Ana. A dozen localities limited, heavily taxed, or banned shooting ranges. (In 2017, a federal appeals court struck down a Chicago law that restricted—but did not outlaw—shooting ranges within the city, finding no “history and legal tradition” to support it.) More jurisdictions banned guns in private establishments; for instance, an 1817 ordinance in New Orleans barred citizens from carrying weapons into a “public ball-room.” (In January, a federal judge blocked a New Jersey law that banned guns in bars, restaurants, and entertainment venues, finding that it was not supported by “the nation’s historical tradition.”)

Thread Information