Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's completely stupid to let these rumors circulate. It's going to hurt team chemistry and if the risk is Murray leaving in a couple of years it practically ensures it.

My guess is ATL was asking around, the Spurs were feeling out getting high in the lottery this year, ATL has been desperate to get rid of J. Collins, and so they started leaking rumors to force something to happen.

If the FO doesn't nip this in the bud it might get bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's completely stupid to let these rumors circulate. It's going to hurt team chemistry and if the risk is Murray leaving in a couple of years it practically ensures it.

My guess is ATL was asking around, the Spurs were feeling out getting high in the lottery this year, ATL has been desperate to get rid of J. Collins, and so they started leaking rumors to force something to happen.

Yup pretty much how I think it happened as well. Hawks probably offered a rich package that they thought the spurs wouldn’t be able to refuse and the spurs probably asked for more and they decided to leak it to pressure the spurs. It’s definitely peculiar tho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just because they didn’t nip it in the bud in public doesnt mean they didnt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae Young liked DJs last Twitter pic…..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just because they didn’t nip it in the bud in public doesnt mean they didnt.
    This.
    The rumors are going to be publicized no matter what.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not gonna get into all that. All I’ll say is that development is ripe for guys like Keldon or Vassell to take the next leap, and the perception of the team’s ceiling hinges on that leap which we will only see once the season begins.
    I’m low on the KJ development and it has nothing to do with him and everything to do with Pop. If Pop is gonna keep having him as our starting PF then he is doing him a disservice and whatever development he does make will wear down as the season winds on bc the damage to his body will climb.

Vassell is a different case and I’m high on him becoming a 15 point a night guy this season. Like I see DJ hovering around 20 with both KJ and Vassell averaging 15. Poeltl giving us 11. And other guys kinda just rounding out the team. But the thing is I don’t believe we have a franchise player on our roster. And that is going to keep us from competing. I can’t remember too many le winners that didn’t have a top 3 player in the league besides us on 14, Dirk in 11, and Detroit in 04.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, Dejounte seems to be really involved with the Spurs future, calling the recent draftees to welcome them (at least Sochan said he called him, I assume he did the same with the other 2), and pimping his buddy Lavine to the Spurs... you wouldn't think he'd give a crap if he knew he's being shopped around. Doesn't add up.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think Dejounte and Trae are a good fit together in the backcourt. Atlanta desperatey needs defense on the perimeter and a second creator. Dejounte fills both needs. He can easily guard 2's and/or the best backcourt player on the other team while you hide Trae on the lesser of the two. So, I think Atlanta is willing to give up a lot to get him. But I'm still not sure Capela-Hunter-Huerter-Dejounte-Trae gets you past the Bucks, Celtics or Heat out East. They could beat any other team in the East though.

What I am curious about from a Spurs perspective, what else do the Spurs get along with Collins if they do send Dejounte there. I view Collins as only a slightly net positive asset because of his contract. Dude still has 4 years $102 million left on his deal starting next season and hasn't proven to be worth any where near that. So how much do the Hawks have to give up to meet fair value for Dejounte. I think its at least Collins + 3 unprotected 1sts, or Collins + AJ Griffin + 2 unprotected 1sts. Or if the Spurs are trying to win now and have other moves in the pipeline (Ayton), then they might want Collins, AJ Griffin, Bogdanovic and a 1st and send back McDermott and/or Richardson along with Dejounte.

Hawks 1sts would probably only amount to picks in the 15-25 range as they'd make the playoffs in the East. How much value do those picks have?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup pretty much how I think it happened as well. Hawks probably offered a rich package that they thought the spurs wouldn’t be able to refuse and the spurs probably asked for more and they decided to leak it to pressure the spurs. It’s definitely peculiar tho
    This would jive with Wojnarowski, who rarely attaches timelines to rumors, claiming Collins was almost certain to be traded before the draft and now the Kings have presumably moved on, so there doesn't appear to be a trade for him.

Spurs doing "intel" on Collins while trading Murray (creating a gaping hole at PG) makes no sense as is, particularly on the heels of drafting a PF 9th, nor does getting a bunch of middling picks from the Hawks alongside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really don’t know how the Spurs can nip trade rumors in the bud. Only thing you can do is be honest with Dejounte and say “we don’t want to trade you, all we’ve done is said, if you want him, you’ve gotta pay this big package”

Outside of that, the spurs don’t need to do other than we don’t speak about bull on Twitter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’s funny about this whole thing too, every rumor has been from Jake Fischer, others have “confirmed these rumors.” But has this Jake Fischer ever reported something that actually happened? I don’t think so lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really don’t know how the Spurs can nip trade rumors in the bud. Only thing you can do is be honest with Dejounte and say “we don’t want to trade you, all we’ve done is said, if you want him, you’ve gotta pay this big package”

Outside of that, the spurs don’t need to do other than we don’t speak about bull on Twitter.
    Easy, just publicly state that he's not on the auction block in some manner. Except the Spurs don't speak that way sometimes to detriment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This continues to read as the Hawks trying to create a market for a player who is drawing tepid interest. Weren't they doing this before? I can't remember due to covid but they've been trying to dump Collins since they signed him and claiming that teams were interested in him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea i dont buy any of this bs. If the hawks wanted him they'd already paid the piper

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easy, just publicly state that he's not on the auction block in some manner. Except the Spurs don't speak that way sometimes to detriment.
    But why do that to the public? What happens if you have that at ude but then someone does bring a godfather trade and you have to take it? There’s zero upside in commenting stupid Twitter . You talk to your player, keep him abreast, other than, run the damn club.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see why STers should have a problem with the team gauging DJ's value, or anyone else's tbh. There isn't a single player on the roster who's untradeable, it's exactly what they should be doing. Doesn't mean they're shopping anyone, it means they're picking up the phone and listening.

This is a smart thing to do because he'll technically be extension eligible. It doesn't mean they'll trade him for John Collins and a couple of late firsts, but considering the interest from a lot of teams they could get a godfather type offer. It also shows that despite of everyone knowing they're not going to tank, they also have different roads they might take in the offseason, one of which could be taking a step back and building around the younger core.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see why STers should have a problem with the team gauging DJ's value, or anyone else's tbh. There isn't a single player on the roster who's untradeable, it's exactly what they should be doing. Doesn't mean they're shopping anyone, it means they're picking up the phone and listening.

This is a smart thing to do because he'll technically be extension eligible. It doesn't mean they'll trade him for John Collins and a couple of late firsts, but considering the interest from a lot of teams they could get a godfather type offer. It also shows that despite of everyone knowing they're not going to tank, they also have different roads they might take in the offseason, one of which could be taking a step back and building around the younger core.
    I guess the main reason why people have a problem in the first place is to Spurs fans Dejounte has a higher value to us from a sentimental point of view. He stayed with us during the Kawhi saga and took over. Of course it is ok to gauge his value on the open market but the fact that most of the noise is around DJ is a bit disheartening. I agree with you that absolutely we should see what DJ's value is out there and if we get an offer that blows us away we should take it. I just wish we were looking at gauging the market of other players on our team and improving other parts of our roster instead trading the one guy who has shown loyalty to us and developed well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess the main reason why people have a problem in the first place is to Spurs fans Dejounte has a higher value to us from a sentimental point of view. He stayed with us during the Kawhi saga and took over. Of course it is ok to gauge his value on the open market but the fact that most of the noise is around DJ is a bit disheartening. I agree with you that absolutely we should see what DJ's value is out there and if we get an offer that blows us away we should take it. I just wish we were looking at gauging the market of other players on our team and improving other parts of our roster instead trading the one guy who has shown loyalty to us and developed well.
    i highly doubt murray will fetch the jrue holiday deal. Still ,stranger things have happened i guess

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This. This was my immediate thought process when the rumours started swirling last week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jake fischer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah I think so too. Spurs were just setting a high asking price, just to see if somebody was willing to pay that. They are probably also interested in adding Collins while keeping DJ, so that's why they are talking

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But why do that to the public? What happens if you have that at ude but then someone does bring a godfather trade and you have to take it? There’s zero upside in commenting stupid Twitter . You talk to your player, keep him abreast, other than, run the damn club.
    DeRozan was FURIOUS at Masai for assuring him he wouldn’t be traded, and then trading him. You can tell the player that they’re not being shopped. Unless you have a big three, everyone is tradeable for the right price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is the Don Harris tweet pre-draft where he says the ATL thing is "dead" part of the Spurs publicly nipping this in the bud? Are we sure this thing is still a thing, or could it be this guy continuing to milk the rumor for attention?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see where DJ was working out 30 minutes from the Hawks facility on Saturday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol I doubt DJ cares that much. He’s far from untouchable too. The Spurs shouldn’t have to go out of their way to protect him.

Thread Information