Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anyone recalls, I said on draft night that given the following information: <<PATFO wants Primo running point, we drafted 2 more guards, both ball heavy in the FIRST round, and the #9 pick is also extremely efficient running the offense and ball handling at the top of the key>>

that this team was setting itself up for multiple trades or transactions at the guard position, including likely Murray.

Yet, I was told repeatedly that everything was copacetic and we were fine having like 8 guards on the roster because some would play wing. Yet neither one of the new draftees is above 6'5" in shoes. Well, although nothing has happened yet, but my intuition is looking to be right.
    On the other hand GSW won the le with a starting lineup of 6'2", 6'6", 6'6", 6'7" and 6'8". But they all could pass.

Don't forget the "Beautiful Game."

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our FO has never been in a position where their best player simultaneously has real value and an inability to take this team to a championship level.
    He did more with less this season. You add talent to that. Not dump him. It’s not like we’re circling the drain. We have strong up and coming talent this is slowly beginning to materialize

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve not lived in SA in a while. How plugged in is Harris these days?
    He’s clueless. Gets a lot of info from tertiary sources. Spends most of his broadcasts offering his banal “Don’s Takes”.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is absurdly putting everything on DJ’s shoulders as if the players around him has no bearing on whether the team is successful or not.
    I think mo7888 is saying Dejounte is not a top-guy-on-the-team kind of player; as in even if we had a 2nd banana, we would just have two 2nd bananas.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am sure this is what was said about jokic, kawhi, Giannias, and others. the only #1 pick that jump to mind that is considered franchise is embid. You have Ja and luka that were top 3. That still is 3 top 3 vs 3 not top 3. btw I dont consider durant and lehype as they are old. if you do that you also have to include curry .
    There will be other top players in the top few picks just like this draft went 7 deep in talent and then a fall off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young and Murray had just followed each other on twitter

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I’m a Knick fan I would be absolutely distraught that my team is pursuing Brunson over DJM right now.
    Most Knick fans want Brunson over Murray.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most Knick fans want Brunson over Murray.
    Nope. Have you been on Knicks twitter or Reddit recently?

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. Have you been on Knicks twitter or Reddit recently?
    Went on Locked on knicks and both of those guys didn't want Murray saying he couldn't shoot the 3 and was not as good a fit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young and Murray had just followed each other on twitter
    they have the same agent. Not some earth shattering news

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is absurdly putting everything on DJ’s shoulders as if the players around him has no bearing on whether the team is successful or not.
    Not remotely... DJ is a very good player and it's not his fault that the team can't put 2 better players alongside him to be able to elevate this team. He's not good enough to the the main guy and we can't get a main guy that fits his timeline...nobody is suggesting thays his fault.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    always interesting reading other team's forums. the Hawks fans seem to think this is a done deal

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really DJ’s fault the FO hasn’t surrounded him with better players. DJ could is a leader and do it all player perfect for the as the 2nd or 3rd option in a more talented team. Get him more talent.
    I don't disagree and I just made a similar argument on here..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think mo7888 is saying Dejounte is not a top-guy-on-the-team kind of player; as in even if we had a 2nd banana, we would just have two 2nd bananas.
    The notion that you can’t get a top banana if you have a second banana already is simply ridiculous. Middleton was there before Giannis. Bam was there before Butler. Anybody could have been there before Jokic. You don’t need to count on having a ty team with no building block to land your top tier player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He did more with less this season. You add talent to that. Not dump him. It’s not like we’re circling the drain. We have strong up and coming talent this is slowly beginning to materialize
    Yea...that was Plan A I'd guess but we couldn't find away to add 2 better players to this roster....that leaves us with 2 options 1) max him and pay for the privilege of being a perpetual play-in team or 2) cash in on his value to give us a shot at getting an elite talent to build around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the other hand GSW won the le with a starting lineup of 6'2", 6'6", 6'6", 6'7" and 6'8". But they all could pass.

Don't forget the "Beautiful Game."
    That only flies because the 6'2" guy is the best shooter to ever lace them up, and they are collectively some of the best passers in the game.

If we have a surefire HOF running point and several good passers ans shooters surrounding him, that overcomes any potential defensive liabilities, then sign me up for small ball

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The notion that you can’t get a top banana if you have a second banana already is simply ridiculous. Middleton was there before Giannis. Bam was there before Butler. Anybody could have been there before Jokic. You don’t need to count on having a ty team with no building block to land your top tier player.
    I'm not saying teams can't add a top banana to a team with a 2nd banana... I'm saying there's no deal on the horizon to do that in this scenario so we have two options 1) max him and pay for the privilege of being a perpetual play-in team or 2) cash in on his value to give us a shot at getting an elite talent to build around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying teams can't add a top banana to a team with a 2nd banana... I'm saying there's no deal on the horizon to do that in this scenario so we have two options 1) max him and pay for the privilege of being a perpetual play-in team or 2) cash in on his value to give us a shot at getting an elite talent to build around.
    Eh, simply disagree that there’s no deal on the horizon. There’s enough talent on the team to build their value if a trade needs to happen. You’re looking at things too much in a vacuum. This isn’t the last offseason to do anything. There’s next offseason too. The summer hasn’t even ended. The roster is currently full and there’s about 90% chance a deal IS going to happen (speaking as though a Murray deal isn’t happening).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    always interesting reading other team's forums. the Hawks fans seem to think this is a done deal
    Theyre gonna go absolutely bananas if the trade doesn’t happen lmao they’re desperate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , just before this past season everyone thought Murray, Poeltl, and White had zero value and yet their value is high now.

This is looking too much at things in a vacuum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans think this is a done deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the FIRST season DJ formally established himself as a building block for the Spurs, and it is dumb to think they won’t even attempt ONE OFFSEASON to add more pieces next to him and see where this thing goes.

People are acting like it’s been several seasons with DJ.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray's numbers went up in a significant way when White was traded. Based on White's production the Spurs should have gone in the toilet but they kept winning at better than expected clip

What kind of numbers will be put up being the man did a whole season. With a better Vassell and Primo and a PF for 15-25 minutes a game who is over 6-6. And Zollins the whole year instead of half the year with Eubanks.

Murray's numbers will go up, with or without Ayton or a John Collins. His value will go up by the trade deadline.

But to sell him for 2 atl picks in the 20s and a lotto protected Charlotte pick or whatever it is, and eating Gallo, that is straight trash and it's not edge lord to say so.

And to see that the deal may have gotten worse, that is: no Collins, we want Gallo instead AND his guarantee goes UP?!? This is like paying Toronto to take 5 million and Danny Green. These rumors get worse.

Trade Murray, fine, but get a good deal. He's not pulling a Kawhi and hiding when he's expiring

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, simply disagree that there’s no deal on the horizon. There’s enough talent on the team to build their value if a trade needs to happen. You’re looking at things too much in a vacuum. This isn’t the last offseason to do anything. There’s next offseason too. The summer hasn’t even ended. The roster is currently full and there’s about 90% chance a deal IS going to happen (speaking as though a Murray deal isn’t happening).

Next offseason his value will be lower than it is now because he'll be on the last year of his contract and likely won't be an allstar this year. I am looking at in a vacuum though because we all are...none of his have true inside info on what the FO tried to do or is even trying to do. We all base our opinions on our perceived premise and go from there. My premise is that they tried to add a higher level talent to play alongside DJ (I believe that talent was Zach Lavine) and when it became clear that wasn't going to happen then they did their due diligence on who might be available by trade this offseason and found exactly no one. From there I follow the logical path.... if you can't add better players to DJ and he's at or near peak value you have the two choices I listed above. Logically if there's no way to add the players you need to compete for championships then you have to find other paths to get there and since we are entering a draft like we haven't seen in some time with a generational talent then that path at least has a chance to pan out as opposed to our current path. It's just logical and pragmatic nothing more and this FO has always seemed to lean in to pragmatic decisions....

That's where I'm coming from....and it's totally cool if you or anyone else here sees it differently... my preferred path was always to build around DJ but, I've come to believe that's not possible anymore so...I have to consider other alternatives ...it's not personal against DJ because I think he's a very good player and has handled his business very professionally. You may see a path to add a better player to play alongside him....I don't think that deal's out there but I'm all ears if you can't paint that path in a picture...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People fretting over details of any trade should note that, if any of these rumors are true, the Spurs have rejected several scenarios Atlanta has come up with. So the notion that they'll go cheap on getting rid of Murray is likely not true.

Thread Information