Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot people don't see that Tari Eason was way worse at Sochan's age. And also Jaden Ivey was pretty comparable to Wesley in his freshman year. Drafting these kids one year younger gives teams one more precious year to develop their skills. That's why age plays such a big part in the draft. If Tari did what he did this year as a freshman, he would have been a lottery pick like everyone here who wanted him thought he was. The difference between freshman and sop re in some these guys drafted is really night and day sometimes.
    with Wesley and Branham the Spurs basically drafted the freshman versions of Ivey and Davis. I‘m pretty sure if we had gotten Sochan, Davis and Ivey in this draft spurstalkers would think we can become a contender again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally got around to watching the Wright press conference. For all the flake he gets on this site, I like his presence. He seems like one of the more competent execs out there, even if his actual execution leaves something to be desired sometimes. No idea why he thinks shaving his mustache like that was the right thing to do, but whatever.

Anyway, what I got from that conference is that the Spurs are going to be playing smaller. Wright talked about how small GS was in the Finals and completely ignored Boston starting two centers. He also talked about Sochan playing some five. That really does give me the sense that Johnson is going to play a ton of PF this year. He'll play some with other PFs like Sochan and maybe KBD if Keita survives another cut-down, but I don't think the Spurs believe him playing there is a problem. Moreover, I think it's a sign that the front office WANTS to move on from Poeltl but is trying to get what they want. Just as they seem to have a vision of two or three "point-guards" playing together, they seem to have a vision of a modern center who's mobile, shoots and has a floor game. That's why they signed Collins, Landale and even Ca last year. That's why they preferred Sochan over Eason and picked up Barlow. It would explain why the Spurs don't have real interest in a power-forward like Collins who needs a traditional center next to him. It predicts that the Spurs won't really be interested in Ayton either.

I think we're going to see the Spurs continue to get smaller, playing 6-5 guys at SF and 6-7 guys at PF for long stretches. I don't really agree with that lesson -- I think Golden State won on the back of their GOAT candidate PG and due to Boston's inexperience, not on a superior scheme -- but it would make sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, it certainly sounds like they think small ball position-less basketball is the future. And they'll be right until they're wrong.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally got around to watching the Wright press conference. For all the flake he gets on this site, I like his presence. He seems like one of the more competent execs out there, even if his actual execution leaves something to be desired sometimes. No idea why he thinks shaving his mustache like that was the right thing to do, but whatever.

Anyway, what I got from that conference is that the Spurs are going to be playing smaller. Wright talked about how small GS was in the Finals and completely ignored Boston starting two centers. He also talked about Sochan playing some five. That really does give me the sense that Johnson is going to play a ton of PF this year. He'll play some with other PFs like Sochan and maybe KBD if Keita survives another cut-down, but I don't think the Spurs believe him playing there is a problem. Moreover, I think it's a sign that the front office WANTS to move on from Poeltl but is trying to get what they want. Just as they seem to have a vision of two or three "point-guards" playing together, they seem to have a vision of a modern center who's mobile, shoots and has a floor game. That's why they signed Collins, Landale and even Ca last year. That's why they preferred Sochan over Eason and picked up Barlow. It would explain why the Spurs don't have real interest in a power-forward like Collins who needs a traditional center next to him. It predicts that the Spurs won't really be interested in Ayton either.

I think we're going to see the Spurs continue to get smaller, playing 6-5 guys at SF and 6-7 guys at PF for long stretches. I don't really agree with that lesson -- I think Golden State won on the back of their GOAT candidate PG and due to Boston's inexperience, not on a superior scheme -- but it would make sense.
    You can even see it in the 2 way guys we had to end the season. Two guys in Woodard and Stewart who are around 6'7" who played the wing in college but fit the mold of a pf in today's game. Both physical enough to bang down low....they fit the prototype they are looking at to a degree.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You can see the Spurs going all season with Jock, Zach and Jak as only bigs ? ( i'm not ignoring Sochan or Johnson who could play some 4)

I really think and hope they will take at least a Jalen Smith type of guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Probably the angle and the shoes, but Wesley looks tall here.

Havent been this excited for a rook since Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know anything about Blake, but our first two picks are really good players. Glad to hear from people here that Blake has high upside as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He's 6'4 1/4"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's also got some clod-hoppers on. Sheesh, how thick are those things?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley was just measured 30 days ago in a completely objective environment by draft combine people with no agenda. He's 6'3" in bare feet and 6'4.25" in shoes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That would be depressing as tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the risk of fanboi'ing a bit, listen to how Sochan talks. He's so inclusive. There's a risk that Branham and Wesley see each other as direct compe ion. Which they are, of course, but there's room for both, and I can imagine them being awkward with each other just by themselves. But Sochan's this big, happy, inclusive personality. His locker room presence must be exceptional.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's to hoping at least 2 of those numbers are hanging in the rafters in 15-20 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thanks for your report and impressions. Only the GSW have won a championship like they have bc they have an NBA all time player in their team and a few other talents that are special.

I dont really want them trying to replicate a formula that still requires exceptional talent, but I suppose it is what it is. If they keep drafting out of the top 3 they wont have the best chance at a talent that once you have him, he changes whatever it was you were trying to do b4.

I cant do anything but root for whatever version of the Spurs is out there. If this iteration doesnt succeed maybe they try to change their formula.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ It will be frustrating to see Sochan playing center if it comes to that. One of the reasons everyone hates when the Spurs get manhandled is that they insist on playing guys that get overwhelmed at times…. I hope that is not the case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ It will be frustrating to see Sochan playing center if it comes to that. One of the reasons everyone hates when the Spurs get manhandled is that they insist on playing guys that get overwhelmed at times…. I hope that is not the case.

I think if Sochan reaches his absolute ceiling than being able to be a small ball center for some stretches might be one of his greatest strengths. I like him at PF at least 65-70% of the time, but if can pull off a good imitation of Draymond/Bam/Time Lord in crucial minutes, that would be incredible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the Spurs draft Sochan as a center. I think they drafted him as a defender. I do think they believe he can do a lot of the same things that Draymond Green allows Golden State to do, but I don't believe they think they're ready to play that style of offense right now. I think they're huge believers in the team as a transition-oriented offense and in Murray as the captain of that offense. I don't believe they have any intention to trade him. I do think they question Poeltl's fit in such an offense, but they likely do have interest in a lankier center who can finish, move his feet and all that. Maybe Duren would've been that guy, but it wouldn't surprise me if they absolutely didn't think Mark Williams was. I'm not saying they feigned interest, but I don't think he would've been the pick how Sochan not been on the board.

I also think STers might be misunderstand the effect Sochan -- or even Sochan starting -- is supposed to have on the team. The goal of this isn't to have Johnson play "his natural position of small-forward". It's to allow Johnson to just go out there and play without having to worry about defensive mismatches. I think we'd see plenty of games starting the Johnson/Sochan pair that still had Johnson guarding PFs. It'd be a waste of Sochan's versatility to lock him into the one position where his physical gifts are the least superlative. If Sochan is going to be that "designated defender", then they're going to need guys to hold up any multiple positions. That could mean Keldon guarding fours. It could mean Poeltl guarding fours. It could mean Vassell having to chase around an undersized two-guard so Sochan can guard the SF. There's an opposite side to every cross-guarding. Like against Golden State, Sochan might guard Curry, which means Vassell might guard Thompson, Murray might guard Wiggins and Johnson might guard Draymond. Then Johnson is bad to playing PF against a big strong player who might overwhelm him, the same as this last year. We'll see.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the point of Sochan if you won't play him some center minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if Sochan reaches his absolute ceiling than being able to be a small ball center for some stretches might be one of his greatest strengths. I like him at PF at least 65-70% of the time, but if can pull off a good imitation of Draymond/Bam/Time Lord in crucial minutes, that would be incredible.
    ^ This.

It's not so much about "Sochan is a center," it's that he could potentially be capable of playing minutes at the 5, especially to counter teams that try and go small against us. If we have Jak--or some other traditional center in--and teams try and counter his rim protection with a small, spaced out lineup, Sochan potentially gives us a way to match that.

Lineup versatility is an asset, not a problem. I don't think Wright mentioning Sochan's ability to play center indicates that him playing there is our long-term plan at the position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan mentioned in one of his interviews that he’s really excited to play with Keldon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan mentioned in one of his interviews that he’s really excited to play with Keldon.
    Them two….. I can’t wait for us to start taking lunch money!

Thread Information