Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeremy magic sochan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great stuff for Jeremy. His hard work is paying off.

https://twitter.com/AirlessJordan/st...959520256?s=19
    Last edited by offset formation; 01-28-2023 at 11:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe how well he played tonight. Incredible stuff

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeremy plays so much different now than he did in the beginning of the season. I don’t remember such a quick improvement from a player. You normally see that from season to season, not in a span of 40 games. It’s not just his shot, but the way he’s handling the ball. He’s keeping his torso low which is what good ball handlers do. Just crazy stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love how he's now often raising his hands and asking for the ball when he's at the three point line, instead of hiding or passing up shots. His confidence has increased tremendously. He doesn't hide, he looks for more responsibility and this is great for his development. He doesn't need to become a 40% three point shooter, but even getting to 34-35% will draw defenders closer to him, which would unlock his dribbling and passing game even more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeremy plays so much different now than he did in the beginning of the season. I don’t remember such a quick improvement from a player. You normally see that from season to season, not in a span of 40 games. It’s not just his shot, but the way he’s handling the ball. He’s keeping his torso low which is what good ball handlers do. Just crazy stuff.
    He's got crazy stats from the last 6 games
    19-22 FT, 10-18 3PT*
    I've never seen a player make that kind of FT improvement in season especially one who never shown any ability in college and even his stats from international play

- and I think that has driven the rest of his improvement

https://www.spurstalk.com/jeremy-soc...spurs-outlook/
    TThe Case Against Jeremy Sochan

The worry with Sochan is his shooting. He shot only 29.6% from three-point range and 58.9% from the free throw line. Unfortunately, those percentages are what scouts have come to expect from Sochan. Throughout his career, which includes stops in various locations across the globe, he has consistently been a sub-30% three-point shooter and a sub-60% free throw shooter.

The more I study his shooting motion, the more skeptical I become that Sochan will develop into an adequate shooter. Much like Killian Hayes (who I soured on prior to the 2020 draft due to his shooting mechanics), Sochan has a two-handed shot that results in his thumbs guiding the ball during his release. While that doesn’t automatically mean he won’t learn how to shoot (former Spurs sharpshooter Chuck Person was also a thumber), it’ll make his journey to becoming a league average shooter more arduous than most.

If Sochan can’t learn to shoot it with more accuracy, his overall impact will suffer. He’s a good ball-handler and passer for a big … but not so good that those abilities will allow him to stay on the court without a jumper. In a scenario where he ends up shooting like Killian Hayes (the Detroit Pistons drafted him seventh overall and he’s a career 26.8% three-point shooter), Sochan’s ceiling is likely as a bench player on a contending team. Think of a rich man’s Keita Bates-Diop.

Will the Spurs want to gamble their lottery pick on Sochan shooting it straight? Due to their roster’s lack of defense at power forward, they might.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn’t appreciate how dramatic the FT improvement has been, wow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The FT improvement has driven the improvements in the rest of his game. He’s more aggressive with the ball, because he’s not worried about FTs. His FT shooting motion is also bleeding over into his 3 ball. Muscle memory. He’s no longer flaring his elbow on the shot. The improved 3 ball is opening up his drive game.

He played PG in the 4th and OT last night. Jones never saw the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    of course it's early, but he's outperforming his draft position and looks like a top 5 pick. I'm curious what he can do in one offseason with the speed that he's developing in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The mid range turnaround J looks like his bread and butter. I’m glad he doesn’t look to be a cookie cutter wing who only relies on 3’s and inside shots with no mid range game to speak of. It’s why I’m not that high on Brandon Miller coming out of this draft. Sochan was speaking with Paul after the game and if he could somehow gain his mentorship, it would be perfect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is amazing how Sochan has allowed himself to be coached hard and well to try out a routine that could be subject to ridicule. At the same time, it is amazing how coaches Pop and Brown found a remedy for a historically poor shooter to make adjustments on the fly and improve dramatically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is amazing how Sochan has allowed himself to be coached hard and well to try out a routine that could be subject to ridicule. At the same time, it is amazing how coaches Pop and Brown found a remedy for a historically poor shooter to make adjustments on the fly and improve dramatically.
    Without Chip Engelland

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m most impressed that instead of hitting the so called rookie wall he is running through it.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. Positive at ude and an open mind matter.

Then the mouth breathers here want to complain about drafting players that speak to the team culture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Last edited by ace3g; 01-29-2023 at 10:00 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That 3rd shot reverse layup was MJish nifty using the board, the elbow shots, pass where Brahnam will be, very impressive for the 19 years old. I agree with exstatic his one-hand FT is fixing that elbow muscle memory and opening the windows for his other shots, mid-range, 3pts and getting aggressive on the post, attacking and not afraid to get fouled where he’s 74% in the FT since the one-handed switch. Plus his ability to find open man when defender sucks in, that’s Kobe-ish pass to an open Fischer. Good stuff

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. Positive at ude and an open mind matter.

Then the mouth breathers here want to complain about drafting players that speak to the team culture.
    I think Sochan is very much Spurs-Culture type of guy with his defensive mentality and willing to get coached. The trash-talk will be quite new to Pop but he likes the “nasty” in Sochan, never backing down. Collins has the same swagger, unrelenting regardless it’s a bigger guy and possibly posterized, but still blocking for the sake of defending. I could just imagine Pop feels when Poeltl cowers against bigger C’s and possibly tipping the scale to move him with FRP’s, otherwise Pop would just resign him. I remember his frustrations with LMA.

Anyways, we are seeing some alpha mentality from our young core, Keldon, Vassell, Sochan, Blake, Collins. Malaki still learning to be more aggressive when the ball is in his hand, but lately has not been shy letting them fly. I like it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Truly inspiring stuff from Sochan and the coaching staff.
    Seeing his rapid growth, team chemistry AND dropping down the standings is a trifecta.
    Not many players or teams can pull this off very well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we get wemby and keep jak, is the idea that Sochan slides to the 3?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If Sochan can continue his development, maybe not quite at the same pace - since his current pace is like something out of science fiction - we could be looking at our point guard of the future. Wouldn’t that be a story? I’m not prepared at the moment to call it impossible.

But yeah, if he keeps going, he might play any position, except I would not want to waste him at C.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last 6 games:

30.7 mpg, 18.2 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 3.0 apg. 50% FT%, 55.6% 3P%, 86.4% FT%

Compare to some other top rookies the last 6 games:

Banchero: 30.8 mpg, 16.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.7 apg, 36.5% FG%, 25.9 3P%, 78.0% FT%
    Ivey: 32.3 mpg, 15.5 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 6.7 apg, 39.2% FG%, 22.6 3P%, 77.4 FT%
    Mathurin: 31.6 mpg, 21.3 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.2 apg, 45.2% FG%, 26.9 3P%, 86.5% FT%
    Jabari Smith: 27.3 mpg, 10.2 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 2.0 apg, 35.9% FG%, 13.6 3P%, 60.0% FT%
    Athletic God Sharpe: 19.9 mpg, 8.2 ppg, 1.8rpg, 0.2 apg, 50.0% FG%, 33.3 3P%, 83.3% FT%
    Keegan Murray: 35.8 mpg, 16.0 ppg, 7.3rpg, 1.0 apg, 58.9% FG%, 58.3 3P%, 100.0% FT%
    Jalen Duren: 26.6 mpg, 14.8 ppg, 9.8rpg, 0.7 apg, 80.0% FG%, N/A 3P%, 85.0% FT%

Extremely small sample size, but based on the last 6 games Sochan would be in contention for All-Rookie 1st team and maybe even a dark horse ROY contender. Let's see if it can keep this up>

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Posed this idea in an earlier thread... and someone (can't remember who) correctly pointed out that Wemby and Sochan can both be viewed as flexible 3/4 options. This would be a tremendous boon to our defense. In theory PG/Devin/Soch/Wemby/Jak should be pretty good on defense... though tbh I'd probably still look to put a package together to land a more "lead dog" Guard, meaning sending out Devin or moving him to the bench. I'd personally try and package Devin and Keldon for Ivey or Mathurin and hope either of those teams view 2 as greater than 1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Sochan can continue his development, maybe not quite at the same pace - since his current pace is like something out of science fiction - we could be looking at our point guard of the future. Wouldn’t that be a story? I’m not prepared at the moment to call it impossible.

But yeah, if he keeps going, he might play any position, except I would not want to waste him at C.
    I've been saying that's a possibility since draft day. Though Wembanyama is no slouch with the ball in his hand either. Could easily be a scenario of situational point guard on demand between everyone but Poeltl. Would really be unprecedented.

Thread Information