Page 75 of 93 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 2321
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say making him play point guard definitely frustrated him. He's still learning skills so he's drinking from a fire hydrant right now and doesn't have a role to fall back on. His development has been very aggressive. Needs more time. He's not a bust. He's motivated to improve. He's just in a chaotic situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People need to ease up on Sochan. He is a second year player and is just 20 years old. Let's give him a full three years to see if he improves. He has raw talent and athleticism. Did playing point guard mess with his confidence? Maybe. But the answer to helping him get his confidence back is not to call him a bust when he has played for less than a 1.5 seasons of NBA basketball. He should shoot and the more he shoots, the more opportunities he will have to figure it out and right the ship. His defense runs hot and cold, but that could be said of the entire team except Wemby, who is so physically gifted that he does not have the same learning curve as a normal player.

He looked good his rookie year, and I think he played a little more than half of his rookie season and now he's less than halfway through his 2nd year. That comes to about a season of experience. He has had good moments this year. Let's see what he turns into and judge by that if he fits on this team or not.
    If he needs 3 years to get better thatís fine but then he doesnít need to be guaranteed 30 minutes and a spot in the starting lineup whether it be at power forward or freaking point guard in the meantime

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Part of me suspects that Sochan would become a decent defender if the coaching staff were even attempting to develop him on that side of the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ideally he is a bench player. Also Pop really ed up his development, like I said he did, by switching him to PG. He had so much to improve as a PF so he should’ve focused on that instead. Those idiots saying he would be our Draymond Green never actually watched a Warriors game tbh. Bc Draymond doesn’t bring the ball up court bc it isn’t his strong suit and ruins his skill set. He is the secondary playmaker, and he depends solely on Steph Curry. It’s why the Warriors are so when Curry gets hurt, bc Draymond isn’t a primary playmaker. The whole system is Steph.

You can’t tell a player that he needs to work on dribbling (and I’m not talking about bringing the ball up court but actually being good enough to run pick n rolls and break down a defense), passing (so pocket passes, lobs, passes to set up another pass to get a guy open, dump off passes, passes in traffic, entry passes), shooting (since he’s a point guard he needs to learn to shoot off the dribble, finish over bigs, finish at the rim, ideally a step back, midrange, and a 3 point shot) and then teach him a completely new offensive system to run AND a completely new defensive system to learn and realistically expect him to develop. Some people call this player development, I call it stupidity.

Now I don’t believe Pop to be stupid so that’s why I was wondering why Pop rushed everything with Sochan and didn’t take his time to develop like a Kawhi, Patty, Joseph, or really any role player we had (btw Kawhi started as a role player). It makes me believe he feels like his time is up here

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he needs 3 years to get better that’s fine but then he doesn’t need to be guaranteed 30 minutes and a spot in the starting lineup whether it be at power forward or freaking point guard in the meantime
    that’s two different things. Nobody in this team except Victor and maybe vassell deserve some playing Time.

I did not like sochan’s effort lately but we can’t say he is a bust or he can’t do nothing well… that Pg experience was really bad and hurts his development in some ways

im waiting for better things from sochan till the end of the season

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now I don’t believe Pop to be stupid so that’s why I was wondering why Pop rushed everything with Sochan and didn’t take his time to develop like a Kawhi, Patty, Joseph, or really any role player we had (btw Kawhi started as a role player). It makes me believe he feels like his time is up here
    imo it's all just a front for tanking.

I don't like the idea of the Spurs tanking once they already got Wemby, but it is what it is. All I can hope for now is that this is the last year of it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he needs 3 years to get better that’s fine but then he doesn’t need to be guaranteed 30 minutes and a spot in the starting lineup whether it be at power forward or freaking point guard in the meantime
    He's one of the 5 best players on this team. I can't say whether he should come off the bench or start, but talent-wise, he has more potential and even more ability than the backups. If the Spurs were good, he would have done his pg training in the G-league last year, but because the Spurs are bad, so he stayed in the NBA and there is no reason not to play him 30 minutes a game now and see if he improves. If he doesn't get better by year three, they let him walk. Most of our bench are young guys. If they were objectively better, they would get more minutes over him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan would be a better defender if there were some vets on the team that pushed defense as a priority and showed good fundamentals. It is up to Pop to coach good defensive habits because there are not guys like Bowen, Manu, Duncan, or Horry that can show good defensive habits and hold teammates accountable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imo it's all just a front for tanking.

I don't like the idea of the Spurs tanking once they already got Wemby, but it is what it is. All I can hope for now is that this is the last year of it.
    Screwing with a player’s development to make him play bad so that you can lose more games is malpractice, I think. It ruins a potential asset that might be needed when you aren’t tanking anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair with Sochan, he’s been playing both sides of the court till they took that PG position off him. Trying to learn PG and guarding the best player was not an easy task for a 2nd year player

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Screwing with a player’s development to make him play bad so that you can lose more games is malpractice, I think. It ruins a potential asset that might be needed when you aren’t tanking anymore.
    The tank job seems obvious when viewed as such. I don't think it was a good idea to even think about tanking going into the season, though at this point the Spurs can try to win all they want and will probably finish bottom 3 anyway.

However I think the narrative that tanking this season will ruin Wemby's career, or his willingness to play for the Spurs in the future, is overblown. If he had an Uncle Dennis in his ear I would be far more nervous.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He might be out of the league in 5 years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair with Sochan, he’s been playing both sides of the court till they took that PG position off him. Trying to learn PG and guarding the best player was not an easy task for a 2nd year player
    he hasnt guarded anybody well though. merely being assigned to guard good players isnt on its own an accomplishment

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was a ty defender last season too. People want to act like the PG experiment ruined him but he allowed a 50.5% shooting percentage against him last season too. Only 0.1% better than Brynn Forbes. And 485/539 in the league on defensive rating last year. Time to just accept that Sochan sucks and wasn't a very good pick. I don't understand what potential people see in him when he's a garbage defender, can't set teammates up, can't shoot, can't attack the basket, etc. What is this guy's skill that makes in special in the eyes of Spurs fans?
    Last edited by baseline bum; 01-02-2024 at 05:38 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he hasnt guarded anybody well though. merely being assigned to guard good players isnt on its own an accomplishment
    If you have a PER below ten you better be Bruce ing Bowen defensively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He might be out of the league in 5 years
    If he doesn't make a big jump out of nowhere next season the Spurs should pass on his team option for 2025-26.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was a ty defender last season too. People want to act like the PG experiment ruined him but he allowed a 50.5% shooting percentage against him last season too. Only 0.1% higher than Brynn Forbes. And 485/539 in the league on defensive rating last year. Time to just accept that Sochan sucks and wasn't a very good pick. I don't understand what potential people see in him when he's a garbage defender, can't set teammates up, can't shoot, can't attack the basket, etc. What is this guy's skill that makes in special in the eyes of Spurs fans?
    defensive rating is in large part a team stat. more useful to look at defensive rating purely in an on/off context imo

carlos boozer used to have a great defensive rating playing on thibs' bulls

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was a ty defender last season too. People want to act like the PG experiment ruined him but he allowed a 50.5% shooting percentage against him last season too. Only 0.1% higher than Brynn Forbes. And 485/539 in the league on defensive rating last year. Time to just accept that Sochan sucks and wasn't a very good pick. I don't understand what potential people see in him when he's a garbage defender, can't set teammates up, can't shoot, can't attack the basket, etc. What is this guy's skill that makes in special in the eyes of Spurs fans?
    He has colored hair and wears #10. What else could you possibly want?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    defensive rating is in large part a team stat. more useful to look at defensive rating purely in an on/off context imo

carlos boozer used to have a great defensive rating playing on thibs' bulls
    Used it more to show consistency with his awful DFG%

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan's archetype is almost always a bust. They didn't learn their lesson with Samanic and doubled down on it, but at least he was selected at a more appropriate pick for a high bust potential type.

What's worse, Sochan is poor at the things he's supposed to be good at. He has a low basketball IQ, inconsistent energy/effort and is a negative defender.

He's one of the 5 best players on this team.
    No, he isn't. Wembanyama, Vassell, Johnson, Jones and Collins, are clearly the top five.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The PG experiment was their last gasp at trying to find a fit for him on this team. The front office and Pop seem to really like him but it is what it is with him.

I would still give him another season and I think they do. But it doesn’t look good for him right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Put Sochan back in his natural position and he will be fine.

We can hopefully pick up a couple starters in this draft ( PG an SF) and suddenly we're winning games.

And more depth will come in the following years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Put Sochan back in his natural position and he will be fine.

We can hopefully pick up a couple starters in this draft ( PG an SF) and suddenly we're winning games.

And more depth will come in the following years.
    he's been playing PF for a while now and still isnt fine

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's been playing PF for a while now and still isnt fine
    Did we break him?!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ideally he is a bench player. Also Pop really ed up his development, like I said he did, by switching him to PG. He had so much to improve as a PF so he should’ve focused on that instead. Those idiots saying he would be our Draymond Green never actually watched a Warriors game tbh. Bc Draymond doesn’t bring the ball up court bc it isn’t his strong suit and ruins his skill set. He is the secondary playmaker, and he depends solely on Steph Curry. It’s why the Warriors are so when Curry gets hurt, bc Draymond isn’t a primary playmaker. The whole system is Steph.

You can’t tell a player that he needs to work on dribbling (and I’m not talking about bringing the ball up court but actually being good enough to run pick n rolls and break down a defense), passing (so pocket passes, lobs, passes to set up another pass to get a guy open, dump off passes, passes in traffic, entry passes), shooting (since he’s a point guard he needs to learn to shoot off the dribble, finish over bigs, finish at the rim, ideally a step back, midrange, and a 3 point shot) and then teach him a completely new offensive system to run AND a completely new defensive system to learn and realistically expect him to develop. Some people call this player development, I call it stupidity.

Nice post...I agree 100%

Thread Information