Page 37 of 93 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers showtime outscored people. Offensive play is more entertaining too. Spurs of the 70s were more entertaining than the Duncan teams.
    Also Doctor J and the 76ers outscored people. You need great shooting and scorers. Can't build without a couple of star offensive players and at least a top three player in the league.

You could assemble the top five defensive players who are limited offensively and you'd never win.
    Are you going to really suggest Showtime Lakers were just all offense, no defense??! Cooper, Green? Those guys were modern day 3andD, with a 6’9” guard defending 80’s basketball, Kareem while at his sixty’s could still defend the middle. Rambis would throw himself all-over the court, Worthy and Thompson were athletic wings. Come on man. Showtime Lakers might be offensively entertaining, but they also played great defense. No championship team did not play great defense. Otherwise, you’d have Doug Moe’s Nuggets hoisting trophies every year! Geez I can’t believe I’m having this argument with you

Going back to our squad, I think our young core are showing they can score with the 4th best assists in the league at 27 assists per game. They are last in Defensive Rating (I think mostly because they are tanking, while you don’t even see Pop’s jugular vein popping when they miss assignments), but that I believe will improve because Spurs have the personnel, youth, athleticism and because it’s Pop’s team. I honestly like where they are right now, developing young promising players, plus a prospect of adding a top 5 pick next year, maybe another 1 or 2 FRP from Poeltl, JRIch or McD for next years deep draft. I have no winning expectations, just lose as much to get a better odd at top pick. It’s all good for me

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you going to really suggest Showtime Lakers were just all offense, no defense??! Cooper, Green? Those guys were modern day 3andD, with a 6’9” guard defending 80’s basketball, Kareem while at his sixty’s could still defend the middle. Rambis would throw himself all-over the court, Worthy and Thompson were athletic wings. Come on man. Showtime Lakers might be offensively entertaining, but they also played great defense. No championship team did not play great defense. Otherwise, you’d have Doug Moe’s Nuggets hoisting trophies every year! Geez I can’t believe I’m having this argument with you

Going back to our squad, I think our young core are showing they can score with the 4th best assists in the league at 27 assists per game. They are last in Defensive Rating (I think mostly because they are tanking, while you don’t even see Pop’s jugular vein popping when they miss assignments), but that I believe will improve because Spurs have the personnel, youth, athleticism and because it’s Pop’s team. I honestly like where they are right now, developing young promising players, plus a prospect of adding a top 5 pick next year, maybe another 1 or 2 FRP from Poeltl, JRIch or McD for next years deep draft. I have no winning expectations, just lose as much to get a better odd at top pick. It’s all good for me
    I honestly think Pop and the staff have ignored defense at this point. Like you say, he's having no reaction to blown assignments, players failing to get back on breaks. It does suggest a shadow tank job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly think Pop and the staff have ignored defense at this point. Like you say, he's having no reaction to blown assignments, players failing to get back on breaks. It does suggest a shadow tank job.
    Yup. If we get pick 1 or pick 2, this years rookies won’t know what hit them next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A shadow tank job ? No its the real thing. Blown defensive assignment .... no big deal we're tanking for Wemby. (Don't tell Adam Silver wink wink).
    Actually I think pop is counting the days until he retires to the front office or the wine cellar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A shadow tank job ? No its the real thing. Blown defensive assignment .... no big deal we're tanking for Wemby. (Don't tell Adam Silver wink wink).
    Actually I think pop is counting the days until he retires to the front office or the wine cellar.
    I actually think the opposite.
    Since his wife died, I think he's gone full Liam Neeson, just keeping himself busy with the only thing he loves besides wine.

Of course, we could both be wrong.
    Just assumptions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop can literally retired any time he wants. He can stand up and walk off the bench right now if he wanted. Clearly he wants to stay for some reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While Sochan is far from a finished product offensively, he already has spots on the floor that he can get to with ease thanks to his ball handling skills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While Sochan is far from a finished product offensively, he already has spots on the floor that he can get to with ease thanks to his ball handling skills.
    Year 3 is going to show a Sochan that we're all going to be proud of, barring injury.
    He could become what everyone thought Ben Simmons could be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is fast for his size. He's going to get stonger and his handles are going to improve even more - they're very good for a PF rookie but a little loose at times, pus he forces passes. He'll clean that up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the platform of abilities Sochan has is enticing. He's dynamic and improving a great deal already. Let's get some good players around him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan putting up better statistics over the last 20 games than Jabari Smith.

https://twitter.com/SpursCulture/sta...984082944?s=19

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually think the opposite.
    Since his wife died, I think he's gone full Liam Neeson, just keeping himself busy with the only thing he loves besides wine.

Of course, we could both be wrong.
    Just assumptions.
    Pop used to be so animated for the smallest of things and now it seems the fire just isn't quite the same. Maybe its his age or the age of the kids playing, I don't know. Maybe he's just mellowing out.
    Does his contract end this year ? He could always just move to the front office and watch another coach have all the headaches. Like you said , just assumptions, only pop knows for sure.
    Last edited by jjspur; 01-28-2023 at 09:16 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His shooting improvement has been terrific.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol rascal the Warriors beating the Celtics was mostly due to Jayson Tatum absolutely ting the bed shooting 35% from the FIELD on high volume. Part of that was the Warriors defense (Wiggins and good help D) but a lot of it was Tatum flat out choking/being tired from the previous 7 games series against the Bucks and Heat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol rascal the Warriors beating the Celtics was mostly due to Jayson Tatum absolutely ting the bed shooting 35% from the FIELD on high volume. Part of that was the Warriors defense (Wiggins and good help D) but a lot of it was Tatum flat out choking/being tired from the previous 7 games series against the Bucks and Heat.
    Don't remember where I saw the stats, but the Celtics are the least clutch team in the NBA or somewhere close. They are terrible down the stretch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop used to be so animated for the smallest of things and now it seems the fire just isn't quite the same. Maybe its his age or the age of the kids playing, I don't know. Maybe he's just mellowing out.
    Does his contract end this year ? He could always just move to the front office and watch another coach have all the headaches. Like you said , just assumptions, only pop knows for sure.
    Is it really fair to yell at guys for defensive lapses that help the tank?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with a few here in the "stealth tank", not in-so-much in tanking, but truly developing the team's O and disciplining the D later.
    Sochan is looking like he could be such an exciting player by Year 3 right now and with his D capabilities, once harnessed.

Get a Wemby and the sky might be the limit.

Might not even be that kind of guy, but develop these guys O that have natural D tendencies Like Sochan and Vassel and maybe you can get somewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby/Poeltl/Sochan/Keldon/PG fun lineup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby/Poeltl/Sochan/Keldon/PG fun lineup.
    Keldon SG?
    Vassell bubba.
    More fun lineup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it might not be tanking. after LMA pop learned players aren't motivated by defense. pops personality was really honed for Duncan. If hes' not here, and there are no veteran defenders, what do you base your coaching on? Can't yell at players for such poor stakes, they''ll turn on you. When the players are ready to learn defense they will, or the team will get veteran defenders.

The other thing for sure is that defense has no place in the regular season except maybe in the last quarter. I remember the spurs used to focus on ending quarters with intensity but now why bother.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jordan Howenstine @AirlessJordan
    56s
    Jeremy sochan is the first and only teenager in San Antonio Spurs history to score 30 or more points in a single game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jordan Howenstine @AirlessJordan
    14m
    Only four rookies in Spurs history to score 30+ points in a game:Tim DuncanDavid RobinsonWillie AndersonJEREMY SOCHAN (tonight)

Jordan Howenstine@AirlessJordan

My fault fam… And Greg Anderson

9:25pm · 28 Jan 2023 · Twitter for iPhone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it might not be tanking. after LMA pop learned players aren't motivated by defense. pops personality was really honed for Duncan. If hes' not here, and there are no veteran defenders, what do you base your coaching on? Can't yell at players for such poor stakes, they''ll turn on you. When the players are ready to learn defense they will, or the team will get veteran defenders.

The other thing for sure is that defense has no place in the regular season except maybe in the last quarter. I remember the spurs used to focus on ending quarters with intensity but now why bother.
    Wrong place to cast blame. LMA was our only defensive standout for a couple of years. At one point towards the end, his age and injuries reduced his effectiveness but to say he was the reason for the defensive slide is way off the mark. Had we no LMA it would have begun sooner and crashed harder.

Thread Information