Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somebody brought up Tony and manu saying that people can see they are special day 1. I pointed out it’s not true. They honed their skills and improved immensely, not to mention both of them had pro experience (many years in manus case) before they joined the spurs as rookies.
    Ofc that's true, and perfectly explained in the Kobe's post you quoted.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Umm you do that with every single player. Do I need to bump your Sotarosky thread? A player that didn’t even play a game with us? Look it’s okay to believe in our guys but you take it to the extreme and anyone that shows otherwise to you you always say “wait and see.” Just accept that the spurs ed up in drafting, it’s not rocket science dude.
    Go ahead, let’s give it a bump You’re doing that thing again……failing to comprehend. Remember two things can be true and keep the thing the thing! All is a very broad statement

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also those two were Primo sniffers. You can’t get more bad on takes than with that. Lol. It’s okay to hype up G league scrubs on the spurs but yeah we should say no to Trae Young.
    This man brought up Primo….again? ( talk about schticks ) Brother my track records just a little bit better than yours and of course I admit when I miss the mark Don’t let hate blind you….. your 33k pos count is a lot to sift through but I’m sure you’ve provided some gems! Please don’t make me lift your skirt.
    Last edited by Atl Spur; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:07 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not true.

TP and especially Manu were élite at a few skills that made worth the development and patience. Both were elite scorers and secure ball handlers

TP was unguardable bc of his speed and nobody could stop Manu’s euro step and lefty style

Brahman like the rest oft he roster is ok at one thing but élite at none
    Not day 1. Again, people were shocked Tony was starting in game 4. Manu didn’t really break out until the series against the lakers.

And no, nobody is saying branham will be anything remotely close to manu or Tony, but he can grow into a contributing player if given time.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With branham, the skills have been there pretty much since he arrived. It's kind of opposite of the situation with Devin, as it took him several years practicing his one dribble move into two dribble dribble moves where now he can dribble fairly freely on offense. With Branham he just has no dog in him it seems like, so he needs to find motivation or confidence, which seems simple but is somehow elusive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Branham sucks and anyone bringing up Manu or TP to strengthen their argument against Branham sucking shouldn’t be allowed to post about the Spurs prospects going forward. Having some objectivity is important. Manu was destroying guys in practice in 03. Everyone on the team (even SJax) knew Manu was a baller in his first year nvm his second year when he destroyed prime Kobe Bryant.

And TP was literally the fastest player in the league with the ball in his hands. He destroyed Gary The Glove Peyton in the playoffs as a rookie. He could get in the paint at will. The dude had tools from day 1 that he honed in over time and became the player he was however he had tools that Branham will never (and I mean never have). It’s a stupid comparison. Could Branham be insta one man fast break on offense as a rookie? Nope. Does he have a handle to get in the paint at will? Nope. Is he faster than everyone else in the league? Nope. So why bring up TP?
    Yup, you just could see in their rookie season they had star potential. Blake, Branham or Sochan are almost two years into their NBA career and you can see they're not and will never be from that category. You don't need another 3 years and they're not gonna suddenly reach contender starter potential.

TP in his rookie season (the game he schooled Payton):

Manu in his rookie season:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, you just could see in their rookie season they had star potential. Blake, Branham or Sochan are almost two years into their NBA career and you can see they're not and will never be from that category. You don't need another 3 years and they're not gonna suddenly reach contender starter potential.

TP in his rookie season (the game he schooled Payton):

Manu in his rookie season:

manu wasnt a rookie in the 2005 playoffs. that wasnt even his first le as a spur

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not day 1. Again, people were shocked Tony was starting in game 4. Manu didn’t really break out until the series against the lakers.

And no, nobody is saying branham will be anything remotely close to manu or Tony, but he can grow into a contributing player if given time.
    Only because they needed a time to adapt to the NBA rythm and athleticism (game was played inside as well at the time compared to now more guard oriented)

TP wasn’t even a playmaker or real PG but still took the duties, it speaks volume.

Manu was gold since day one but even Pop admitted it took him time to understand and let him be him. He was MVP of the Italian league AND euro league ffs

Both had shown prior to NBA that they were “him” in diff context (TP won 1st french le in international compe ion for ex)

Sorry but there’s no comparison possible even if u stretch it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only because they needed a time to adapt to the NBA rythm and athleticism (game was played inside as well at the time compared to now more guard oriented)

TP wasn’t even a playmaker or real PG but still took the duties, it speaks volume.

Manu was gold since day one but even Pop admitted it took him time to understand and let him be him. He was MVP of the Italian league AND euro league ffs

Both had shown prior to NBA that they were “him” in diff context (TP won 1st french le in international compe ion for ex)

Sorry but there’s no comparison possible even if u stretch it
    Please read the posts. I mean please. Nobody is comparing branham to manu or Parker. That’s stupid. It’s the contention that the two are special on day 1. They weren’t. They improved over the years. I’d say they showed more in the first season in their respective careers than Braham have in his two years (likely his first six years if he even lasts that long). But the pint is they showed dramatic improvements and what you see as a young player may morph into something else.

Braham showed flashes of being instant offence. He would be fantastic if he can turn into a Ben Gordon type player and there are rough outlines of it, but he isn’t getting there in the fussy few years because he’s raw and require huge investments in training.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the hope was that Branham could be a fluid enough mover with enough shot versatility to put pressure on a set defense, though he's not quite the athlete to do that. Decent bet, just hasn't worked out, and the D limitations are a real issue.
    He could still get to somewhere as a second side attacker, but he needs to be really efficient to make up for his D, and he's been generally not good enough at that, or secondary skills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The rare 0/0/0/0/0 statline

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This man brought up Primo….again? ( talk about schticks ) Brother my track records just a little bit better than yours and of course I admit when I miss the mark Don’t let hate blind you….. your 33k pos count is a lot to sift through but I’m sure you’ve provided some gems! Please don’t make me lift your skirt.
    Lol mad

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that’s it����

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s on par to what TP and Manu showed us in their first 2 years apparently

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please read the posts. I mean please. Nobody is comparing branham to manu or Parker. That’s stupid. It’s the contention that the two are special on day 1. They weren’t. They improved over the years. I’d say they showed more in the first season in their respective careers than Braham have in his two years (likely his first six years if he even lasts that long). But the pint is they showed dramatic improvements and what you see as a young player may morph into something else.

Braham showed flashes of being instant offence. He would be fantastic if he can turn into a Ben Gordon type player and there are rough outlines of it, but he isn’t getting there in the fussy few years because he’s raw and require huge investments in training.
    The irony… ^^

I read u well and I also nuanced my point with the fact that both TP and Manu, contrary to Malaki had at least a few skills that were above average.

That’s an un négociable criteria a young prospect needs to win time. TP and Manu were elite in a few areas that made their development and patience worth it

Lastly beyond bb aspects, TP and Many had shown the character and compe iveness that made them special at a very young age that separate them from the rest way before they arrived in NBA

I don’t see anything in Malaki’s body language or evolution that leads me to think he wants it badly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we’re going to see teams wiff on picks in the mid to late first round a lot more than they used to historically. These guys are coming out of college so raw that they’re having to learn the game in the NBA. Teams are drafting based on potential far more than anything that these guys have truly demonstrated on the court. The fundamentals don’t exist anymore.

The overall quality of the product suffers as result. I also think it’s why foreign foreign players are now superior to what we’re producing the United States. Those guys are coming up in the system where they’re playing professionally from the time they’re 14 or 15. So by the time they hit the Shores, they’ve been playing a much more compe ive brand of basketball even at the age of 19 or 20 than their American peers.

Failures like Branham amd Primo will be more frequent, and the window for guys reaching their potential will be more like 4 or 5 years rather than 2.

NBA basketball may need to develop a farm system similar to what professional baseball has. G league might not be enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turned a corner.

They jinxed the kid to death.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we’re going to see teams wiff on picks in the mid to late first round a lot more than they used to historically. These guys are coming out of college so raw that they’re having to learn the game in the NBA. Teams are drafting based on potential far more than anything that these guys have truly demonstrated on the court. The fundamentals don’t exist anymore.

The overall quality of the product suffers as result. I also think it’s why foreign foreign players are now superior to what we’re producing the United States. Those guys are coming up in the system where they’re playing professionally from the time they’re 14 or 15. So by the time they hit the Shores, they’ve been playing a much more compe ive brand of basketball even at the age of 19 or 20 than their American peers.

Failures like Branham amd Primo will be more frequent, and the window for guys reaching their potential will be more like 4 or 5 years rather than 2.

NBA basketball may need to develop a farm system similar to what professional baseball has. G league might not be enough.
    I have no idea what they teach these kids in College, but they may have to reconsider their program and focus indeed on fundamentals and BBIQ. The lack of awareness on the court of so many of them is alarming. It's like they're just discovering the game and College ball is a pain to watch.

Even guys in the lottery like Amen, Asuar or Scoot are very raw with no guarantee they'll ever be bonafide stars. And that could be even worth this year. Another reason why I stick to Risacher in this draft and I believe anyway spurs should privilege acquiring proven star/elite talent via trades than betting on their current or future picks to become valuable players around Wemby in 3 to 5 years... That's way too risky imo. Use your assets for big time, proven talent not for uncertain prospects, even in the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    manu wasnt a rookie in the 2005 playoffs. that wasnt even his first le as a spur
    My bad, I posted the wrong vid. I watched highlights from the 2003 and 2005 les yesterday...

Ok, I can't find the one from 2003 (his rookie season) I wanted to post. I'll check later if I have the time. gotta eat now .
    Last edited by JPB; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:07 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea what they teach these kids in College, but they may have to reconsider their program and focus indeed on fundamentals and BBIQ. The lack of awareness on the court of so many of them is alarming. It's like they're just discovering the game and College ball is a pain to watch.

Even guys in the lottery like Amen, Asuar or Scoot are very raw with no guarantee they'll ever be bonafide stars. And that could be even worth this year. Another reason why I stick to Risacher in this draft and I believe anyway spurs should privilege acquiring proven star/elite talent via trades than betting on their current or future picks to become valuable players around Wemby in 3 to 5 years... That's way too risky imo. Use your assets for big time, proven talent not for uncertain prospects, even in the lottery.
    NCAA has to live up to their TV rights, you focus on the fundamentals and some TV exec will go Misery on the coach's ankles.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From reddit

There are 50 NBA players who have at least 6 “clutch” games played and 25%+ usage

Net Rating:
    Kyrie Irving (+34.1)
    Jalen Brunson (+29.1)
    Nikola Jokic (+28.7)
    Damian Lillard (+27.6)
    Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (+23.8)

50th - Malaki Branham (-46.5)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cute keep this thread open lol!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice game tonight, likewise Champ with both scoring 17 points each

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While Spurs were able to quite fix their starting lineup with Tre and Champagnie, these moves also created a disastrous bench unit. Spurs' bench unit really lack of a point guard/playmaker, defense, rebounding and isn't that great at shooting. Players don't fit well together. For example, Keldon and Branham as wing combo doesn't work.

One of the main task of Spurs' offseason is to build a cohesive bench unit. A lot of these players aren't as bad as they currently look.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ The way to do so it to get 2-3 legit starters and demote Jones, Sochan and Champagnie into their rightful place as bench players.

The back court in particular would benefit from a starting combo guard with size, so that Jones could be a true 6th man instead of strict backup. That way they could mostly rotate three guards.

Thread Information