Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the athletic :"

" Weaknesses
    Not a wild athlete in terms of quickness. Doesn’t completely lack twitch but will be a slightly below-average athlete by NBA standards. Skinny at 180 pounds and willing to play physically offensively, but I think he can get blown through physically at times on defense. The lower half is particularly a problem. He succeeded in the Big Ten playing against those enormous bigs who sit deep in drop coverage, but I worry a bit more about what he looks like against bigger, more switchable athletes in terms of getting that small amount of separation he needs to be effective.

Given those factors, how efficient can his play style be? Doesn’t take a ton of 3s, and when he does, they’re mostly open ones off the catch. Not a guy who generates 3s by moving off the ball, and his pull-up game is not terrific as it extends out from distance. On top of that, he doesn’t get to the line a ton. Largely plays physically on his attempts to get to his midrange jumper or on his drives to the rim as opposed to trying to go up through contact when attempting a shot at the basket. Actually fades away from contact on those shots and drew only three free-throw attempts per game. He gets displaced on his drives regularly. Tries to load up with two feet at times and gets knocked back. Really needs to get stronger through his lower half to be able to take more advantage of his play style.

He could also stand to improve as a ballhandler, though he’s not a terrible one. Does have a solid crossover that he can bust out. But it’s all about physicality for him. There isn’t a ton of change of pace on his drives. Often ends up driving very wide on his attempts because he doesn’t get people off balance to get from point A to point B. Not a live-dribble passing threat. I think he would benefit from controlling the ball better, and he’ll also need to read the back side of the defense more effectively to be a secondary ballhandling threat.

That lack of explosiveness is also a killer on the defensive end, but there are bigger problems. Ohio State seemed to not trust him late in games. Despite having a good frame and length, there is no disruptiveness to the way he defends. He doesn’t get his hands in there to make life more difficult. And because he doesn’t have a ton of lower body strength, it feels like drivers can kind of plow through him at times. Doesn’t get through screens well at all, and then doesn’t have the recovery speed to get back into the play. Feels like it’s a navigation issue more than anything. Gets clipped on them all the time. This is a significant problem given that he isn’t enormous.

On top of it, he’s not a great team defender. Thought his closeouts were bad. Often got caught between contesting the shot and being flat-footed. Missed rotations a bit too often. Ohio State was a drastically better defensive team when he was off the court. The Buckeyes gave up 104.4 points per 100 possessions when he was off the floor versus 109.9 when he was on it. Was often at the root of their breakdowns and was emblematic of how opposing offenses felt no level of worry that Ohio State was going to take them out of what they wanted to run. — Vecenie"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the athletic :"

" Weaknesses
    Not a wild athlete in terms of quickness. Doesn’t completely lack twitch but will be a slightly below-average athlete by NBA standards. Skinny at 180 pounds and willing to play physically offensively, but I think he can get blown through physically at times on defense. The lower half is particularly a problem. He succeeded in the Big Ten playing against those enormous bigs who sit deep in drop coverage, but I worry a bit more about what he looks like against bigger, more switchable athletes in terms of getting that small amount of separation he needs to be effective.

Given those factors, how efficient can his play style be? Doesn’t take a ton of 3s, and when he does, they’re mostly open ones off the catch. Not a guy who generates 3s by moving off the ball, and his pull-up game is not terrific as it extends out from distance. On top of that, he doesn’t get to the line a ton. Largely plays physically on his attempts to get to his midrange jumper or on his drives to the rim as opposed to trying to go up through contact when attempting a shot at the basket. Actually fades away from contact on those shots and drew only three free-throw attempts per game. He gets displaced on his drives regularly. Tries to load up with two feet at times and gets knocked back. Really needs to get stronger through his lower half to be able to take more advantage of his play style.

He could also stand to improve as a ballhandler, though he’s not a terrible one. Does have a solid crossover that he can bust out. But it’s all about physicality for him. There isn’t a ton of change of pace on his drives. Often ends up driving very wide on his attempts because he doesn’t get people off balance to get from point A to point B. Not a live-dribble passing threat. I think he would benefit from controlling the ball better, and he’ll also need to read the back side of the defense more effectively to be a secondary ballhandling threat.

That lack of explosiveness is also a killer on the defensive end, but there are bigger problems. Ohio State seemed to not trust him late in games. Despite having a good frame and length, there is no disruptiveness to the way he defends. He doesn’t get his hands in there to make life more difficult. And because he doesn’t have a ton of lower body strength, it feels like drivers can kind of plow through him at times. Doesn’t get through screens well at all, and then doesn’t have the recovery speed to get back into the play. Feels like it’s a navigation issue more than anything. Gets clipped on them all the time. This is a significant problem given that he isn’t enormous.

On top of it, he’s not a great team defender. Thought his closeouts were bad. Often got caught between contesting the shot and being flat-footed. Missed rotations a bit too often. Ohio State was a drastically better defensive team when he was off the court. The Buckeyes gave up 104.4 points per 100 possessions when he was off the floor versus 109.9 when he was on it. Was often at the root of their breakdowns and was emblematic of how opposing offenses felt no level of worry that Ohio State was going to take them out of what they wanted to run. — Vecenie"
    Those feel fairly harsh for Branham. Those are concerns. He reminds me of Michael Redd, another OSU product. I don't see Branham blowing people away with athleticism, but like Redd, just hitting his spots and somehow getting shots off. Redd was an incredible shooter from deep. Branham only shot less than 3 from range, but I feel like he can definitely expand that number.

My feeling is he will never be better than neutral on defense, but not for lack of effort. And if he doesn't exactly turn into a lead scorer, he's going to be a strong weapon. Like those highlights in the Tournament game they lost against a strong Villanova team, he was keeping them in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie is gone. Branham and Wesley aren't point guards -- at least not anytime soon. Tre isn't established as a long-term cog. Murray is in trade rumors.

It's not really that clogged for Primo ... but he'll actually have to play well to earn minutes. I regard that as a good thing, tbh.
    No, but neither is Lonnie, who is a SF, but he's next to useless without running point. In watching tape last night on Wesley, he seems very much to be ball dependent. I suppose Branham could be a wing player if necessary but then youve got a bit of a glut there too with Vassell, Richardson, Langford, Johnson (at least where Johnson should play), plus any of these two way guys.

Again just seems we have an extra guard at minimum which PATFO will have to sort out. Passing on Jovic at 25 under that scenario was idiocy. And I don't think they do in a universe where they aren't burned by Samanich.

And if you do t like Jovic, there were other non-guards available at 25. So for all the talk about BPA, what you've really done is stifled playing time somewhere which ultimately limits player development and chemistry.

It's a perfect environment for growing malcontents.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been watching his highlights since I didn't get to watch him at OSU but oddly enough he kind of moves and plays like KD imo. He also seems to find his spot no matter what.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is gonna be good.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been watching his highlights since I didn't get to watch him at OSU but oddly enough he kind of moves and plays like KD imo. He also seems to find his spot no matter what.
    He seems like a shorter Khris Middleton to me with his deliberateness and shot making

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know this kid that well but it feels like his shot selection is going to be very similar to DDR. I suppose if he's not the vocal point its a non-issue.

Doc
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know this kid that well but it feels like his shot selection is going to be very similar to DDR. I suppose if he's not the vocal point its a non-issue.
    There might be some overlap, he seems very nice in the midrange, but he’s also a willing and accurate three point shooter. So ideally he ends up like Derozan+. Branham looks so smooth out there, a very mature offensive game for a 19 year old.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some were mentioning Rip Hamilton. Their body types aren't similar but the way they get to their spots seem pretty similar. I feel like DeRozan does the midrange a little bit differently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn’t really do a deep dive on Malaki pre-draft but I’m doing a little bit now

It is interesting how his shooting form is all in one motion. Just an observation. Not sure how common that is among players.

his game is easy to compare with Vassell. They both favor that mid range pull up. I think I trust Malaki more offensively because the one motion shooting form seems like it would lead to more consistent results, and it shows— he was efficient in college. Comparatively, Vassell has a slow motion release and he stops too quick to pull up. There’s more flow to Malaki’s offense, if that makes sense.

I’d peg Malaki’s shooting stroke as one of the best on the team. When the ball leaves his hands, it’s easy to know when it’s going in.

I haven’t looked at Malaki’s defense yet but I’m sure Vassell has him beat there. It’s Vassell’s calling card, after all.

All that to say that I don’t think Malaki will jump Vassell in the rotation or anything. Per usual, the Spurs operate using a pecking order. Malaki will have to earn his keep. Hearing stories of him being a gym rat makes me believe it won’t be long before he does climb the ranks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another observation: Malaki has his “spots” and he gets to his spots. That’s not something I can say for a lot of young players. Most rooks are still figuring out their spots on the floor and where they can score. Seems like Malaki has that already figured out. It’s a mark of someone who spends time in the gym, IMO.

This guy is going to be a gifted scorer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not the most cutting edge comparison probably but he sorta reminds me of prime Leandro Barbosa. I think his ceiling is higher than barbosa tho

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think he has the potential to be a derozen type midrange player with a 3 point shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn’t really do a deep dive on Malaki pre-draft but I’m doing a little bit now

It is interesting how his shooting form is all in one motion. Just an observation. Not sure how common that is among players.

his game is easy to compare with Vassell. They both favor that mid range pull up. I think I trust Malaki more offensively because the one motion shooting form seems like it would lead to more consistent results, and it shows— he was efficient in college. Comparatively, Vassell has a slow motion release and he stops too quick to pull up. There’s more flow to Malaki’s offense, if that makes sense.

I’d peg Malaki’s shooting stroke as one of the best on the team. When the ball leaves his hands, it’s easy to know when it’s going in.

I haven’t looked at Malaki’s defense yet but I’m sure Vassell has him beat there. It’s Vassell’s calling card, after all.

All that to say that I don’t think Malaki will jump Vassell in the rotation or anything. Per usual, the Spurs operate using a pecking order. Malaki will have to earn his keep. Hearing stories of him being a gym rat makes me believe it won’t be long before he does climb the ranks.
    I hadn't paid much attention to him until around the mid point of the college season where it seemed he flipped a switch and suddenly became an incredible scorer - check his game by game splits - there is a notable point after which he becomes a super efficient 3 level scorer. Great spot up shooter, can create his own shot, can get to his spots despite not being supremely athletic, dude just knows how to play with maturity well beyond his years. He played very well in march madness as well, basically took over from EJ Liddell as the team's leader. The Khris Middleton comparison, while a bit wild, isn't without merit. Offensively that is.

Defensively, there's not much to be excited about. If he ends up as an average defender it'll be a success. He has some tools and he's definitely a quick learner, so let's hope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shot form and game is Ricky Pierce esque in some ways.

Thread Information