Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know each player has their own worship thread, and the draft has like two separate threads, but I want it to let it be known that I think most fans have been happy with this draft... and I want to dispel the notion that we always complain about everything.

My boy Duren was traded for and went elsewhere... but Sochan fills such a huge need for the Spurs for several years now, that I can't but call that pick the biggest success.

I like both SG they chose, and overall glad they didn't try to outsmart themselves or anything.

There were a lot of trades in this draft it has to be said, Spurs weren't on the action except for pick 38 which ironically I liked who they picked there for depth, but they have enough guards and Primo the PG will take some minutes when required for depth

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the website is uber catastrophic mode, so this is going on with all sorts of grammar errors... have a good enjoyable night all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very happy, team is more talented and athletic now. 3 19 year olds drafted (never thought I’d say that) along with Primo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, a solid draft. Would have liked Davis at 9, but Sochan makes sense too.

On to free agency…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Taller dudes at least one more who is also useful would have been preferred assuming no trade or free agent

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An influx of young talent cant hurt,tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I practically expect Sochan to get minutes early on... I dont expect Gleague for him? Is that realistic?

The other thing is that it feels kind of anticlimactic now that it's over... but it's bc there was so much anticipation of trades before hand. I think that is kind of weird but I never expect Spurs trade, but this time it was different and I did expect them to be active.

Bc of their super tough standards though it wasn't surprising they didn't get anything done with regards to the 4th pick or DJ. I think some fans can actually feel a little disappointed there... that's actually kind of the letdown of finding out about trades that didn't go down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed! Worst case, SA had a terrible end of bench team and that got upgraded with youth and upside with absolutely no drop off.

But SA is still firmly in the middle which is bad. They need to make some moves and firm things up big time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like they’ll be parting ways with Lonnie which is welcome in my eyes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An influx of young talent cant hurt,tbh
    I do feel like this is a long process of getting out the cellar... but its going to get done through internal development or not at all.

Spurs drafting Sochan should help strengthen the defense for the the small mobile lineups they want to run. Looking forward to watching him most of all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10763777[/URL]]I practically expect Sochan to get minutes early on... I dont expect Gleague for him? Is that realistic?

The other thing is that it feels kind of anticlimactic now that it's over... but it's bc there was so much anticipation of trades before hand. I think that is kind of weird but I never expect Spurs trade, but this time it was different and I did expect them to be active.

Bc of their super tough standards though it wasn't surprising they didn't get anything done with regards to the 4th pick or DJ. I think some fans can actually feel a little disappointed there... that's actually kind of the letdown of finding out about trades that didn't go down.
    They’ll all be in the G League to start the season. It’s a test to see if they are over themselves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I just typed, I don't think the Spurs picked any bad players. They didn't move any future capital or lose any rotation players, and I think they got three guys they were happy with. I do think they were active on the phone lines during all three of their first-rounders and failed to get anything done. We will never know if they turned down real value or not. I hated selling 38. I have a feeling it'll be something I bring up years from now depending on how the seasons go. I wish the Spurs had gone with at least one more guy over 6-6. But they got one of the best defensive players and one of the best offensive players with their first two picks and apparently an underrated two-way guard with their third. A decent center would have been a hit for me.

Oh well, at least they didn't pick some of the guys they were rumored to. ST is pretty chill, which is abnormal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed! Worst case, SA had a terrible end of bench team and that got upgraded with youth and upside with absolutely no drop off.

But SA is still firmly in the middle which is bad. They need to make some moves and firm things up big time.
    I hear you and I think the letdown real, but it's not draft based.

Rather, the Murray situation is still on my mind. It's now an issue for me. It may seem to others like I want him traded, but it's the opposite. I'd like the Spurs to be compe ive but as excited as I am about the draft, I don't know how much difference these guys will make in terms of wins. Its unrealistic to expect rookies to contribute to wins right away unless we are talking about rookie of the year candidates? Sochan possibly will contribute right away is my hope, but have to stay grounded with expectations.

I am pessimistic on the Spurs making win now moves to improve the veterans around Murray and that leaves me conflicted. It's weird, but it's got nothing to do with the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Sochan was a great pick. He is a massive defense boost and has upside everywhere else. I think he's going to be a favorite pretty quickly. He was also the obvious pick. Dieng wouldn't have been devastating, but didn't make sense. Sochan is gonna not only be great on the floor, he'll boost the team culture.

2. The two SGs are utterly fascinating to me. I'd love to know whether the FO expected anything remotely like this to happen. Branham should have been gone before this pick, maybe even a good bit before. I wouldn't have been bothered by Wesley at 20. That the Spurs selected both is really, really provocative. They're very different players. I do need to dig into them more, but Wesley is more of a slasher, Branham more of a deep-range, mid-range guy. Both have defensive issues (I believe). What's truly excellent is how much they can leap in the next year or two. After promising freshmen seasons, it's not hard to believe they could have each made a big leap had they stuck around. Whlie other teams were going for extreme projects, the Spurs sort of took guys that might be like Keegan Murray and Jaden Ivey -- who each truly matured in their sop re seasons. Basically, the team did what they did with Primo last year, but with later picks and they were already showing promise.

3. I hope both Wesley and Branham get their own space to develop and don't cannibalize each other's development. But, again, they are different players.

4. My two 'needs' coming into the draft was defensive size and go-to scorers. We got the first one. And then two swings at potential scorers. They certainly are not ready yet, but these are two very healthy and actually low-risk swings of the bat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I just typed, I don't think the Spurs picked any bad players. They didn't move any future capital or lose any rotation players, and I think they got three guys they were happy with. I do think they were active on the phone lines during all three of their first-rounders and failed to get anything done. We will never know if they turned down real value or not. I hated selling 38. I have a feeling it'll be something I bring up years from now depending on how the seasons go. I wish the Spurs had gone with at least one more guy over 6-6. But they got one of the best defensive players and one of the best offensive players with their first two picks and apparently an underrated two-way guard with their third. A decent center would have been a hit for me.

Oh well, at least they didn't pick some of the guys they were rumored to. ST is pretty chill, which is abnormal.
    Thanks for your input Chinook.
    I do appreciate different opinions to mine bc sometimes I am really uncertain.

I also didn't like them selling 38... I actually liked the guard they got there and was like wooo! a third string PG... they actually need it bc I don't know how realistic this Primo the PG is... we'll see, but what if it doesn't work out? anyways... it wasn't anything draft braking but could be regrettable...

They didn't get my pet cat, which originally disappointed me. I am bullish on Duren... but Sochan is probably realistically so much closer to what they need, and he's a good player too.

Overall, I am pleased.

Still concerned they are overplaying their hand on trades, and so many different trades went down in this particular draft... but that's kind of a separate issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for input Mr. Body. Trying not to quote guys due to the lag....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hear you and I think the letdown real, but it's not draft based.

Rather, the Murray situation is still on my mind. It's now an issue for me. It may seem to others like I want him traded, but it's the opposite. I'd like the Spurs to be compe ive but as excited as I am about the draft, I don't know how much difference these guys will make in terms of wins. Its unrealistic to expect rookies to contribute to wins right away unless we are talking about rookie of the year candidates? Sochan possibly will contribute right away is my hope, but have to stay grounded with expectations.

I am pessimistic on the Spurs making win now moves to improve the veterans around Murray and that leaves me conflicted. It's weird, but it's got nothing to do with the draft.
    For sure. It’s clear now having seen not even a top 4 pick was traded for a win now all star type that SA could not have done anything like that. Yes, they could have traded Murray for a top 4 pick maybe but not clear since Kings took freaking Keegan instead of getting a “win now” player.

But, while I am happy with the draft and the value overall, free agency/trades need to bring more vision. Cant stay in middle out of fear - makes no sense and they need to choose soon. If you cant land free agents or trades to make this a playoff team, then go the other way.

No middle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For sure. It’s clear now having seen not even a top 4 pick was traded for a win now all star type that SA could not have done anything like that. Yes, they could have traded Murray for a top 4 pick maybe but not clear since Kings took freaking Keegan instead of getting a “win now” player.

But, while I am happy with the draft and the value overall, free agency/trades need to bring more vision. Cant stay in middle out of fear - makes no sense and they need to choose soon. If you cant land free agents or trades to make this a playoff team, then go the other way.

No middle.
    Absolutely.

This is kind of now a segue into FA... but honestly, I'd really like them to go after Ayton. I really want a costar for Murray. I think if you aren't trading him, standing pat isn't just going to fly. It's a real issue for me to not make any move for a significant contributor, and I don't mean McDermott types. I mean a difference maker. To me, Ayton is the only one out there worth pursuing. He would be great with Murray. If they go after him, my Spur fandom mood would improve, but if they don't, then they need to trade Murray. I really am conflicted about keeping Murray in a team that is not making moves for any veteran difference makers.

Will try to move this topic to some kind of FA thread.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ecstatic to get Sochan cause he solves two major problems for us...he is a legit power forward and he should STOP us from playing two guards, Keldon and McDermott, out of position. They both can now play their more natural position, which is the 3.

Disappointed we couldn't find a way to use our other two picks and either mcdermott or richardson to get Duren or Williams, which would have solved our center problem, and opened the door to trade Poeltl before he becomes a 16 million dollar problem. Not mad at the two guards though, especially since Lonnie is all but out the door and while I would like to keep Richardson, I think if a team offers something decent for him we will trade him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was awesome to hear Bilas on the SVP Sportscenter talk about both Sochan and Branham. Wesley as a high upside pick is just icing on the cake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Sochan was a great pick. He is a massive defense boost and has upside everywhere else. I think he's going to be a favorite pretty quickly. He was also the obvious pick. Dieng wouldn't have been devastating, but didn't make sense. Sochan is gonna not only be great on the floor, he'll boost the team culture.

2. The two SGs are utterly fascinating to me. I'd love to know whether the FO expected anything remotely like this to happen. Branham should have been gone before this pick, maybe even a good bit before. I wouldn't have been bothered by Wesley at 20. That the Spurs selected both is really, really provocative. They're very different players. I do need to dig into them more, but Wesley is more of a slasher, Branham more of a deep-range, mid-range guy. Both have defensive issues (I believe). What's truly excellent is how much they can leap in the next year or two. After promising freshmen seasons, it's not hard to believe they could have each made a big leap had they stuck around. Whlie other teams were going for extreme projects, the Spurs sort of took guys that might be like Keegan Murray and Jaden Ivey -- who each truly matured in their sop re seasons. Basically, the team did what they did with Primo last year, but with later picks and they were already showing promise.

3. I hope both Wesley and Branham get their own space to develop and don't cannibalize each other's development. But, again, they are different players.

4. My two 'needs' coming into the draft was defensive size and go-to scorers. We got the first one. And then two swings at potential scorers. They certainly are not ready yet, but these are two very healthy and actually low-risk swings of the bat.
    No out of the park home runs, but 3 very solid picks. Sochan is a defensive big which we needed and one of the two guards will probably replace Lonnie. I was hoping the spurs wouldn't reach and they didn't. Whomever was in charge of this draft improved the team. Can't to see these guys in summer league action.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know each player has their own worship thread, and the draft has like two separate threads, but I want it to let it be known that I think most fans have been happy with this draft... and I want to dispel the notion that we always complain about everything.

My boy Duren was traded for and went elsewhere... but Sochan fills such a huge need for the Spurs for several years now, that I can't but call that pick the biggest success.

I like both SG they chose, and overall glad they didn't try to outsmart themselves or anything.

There were a lot of trades in this draft it has to be said, Spurs weren't on the action except for pick 38 which ironically I liked who they picked there for depth, but they have enough guards and Primo the PG will take some minutes when required for depth
    I felt like I was in the twilight zone when the Spurs picked exactly who I thought (and wanted) at each pick in the first round

Fun stuff

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the three picks are an A+ for this year. Could not have gone better. Branham and Wesley I was praying would drop to 20 and 25 and somehow it happened. The table next to me at the bar can confirm that with the screaming. Still don't know how the dominoes fell like they did.

I DO wish the Spurs had shopped any combination of 20+25, 20+Poeltl, or 25+Poeltl to Charlotte for the 13th pick and Duren. 10-12 was NOT taking him and we all knew that. Giving Charlotte assets while still drafting Williams at 15 would have given them more assets and, a big they needed, and potentially a second big in Poeltl (who they've wanted for years). The Spurs walking away from the first round with Sochan and Duren would have been a close second to Detroit for winners of the draft. Seeing that not happen and Charlotte doing THAT EXACT SCENARIO with Detroit moments later definitely tilted me. It's clear that Sochan + Duren was doable but they didn't act on it. That felt like the only -up of the night.

Again, as far as using all three draft picks, the Spurs couldn't do better than they did. A+ for that. Summer league can't come soon enough

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My biggest take is to last years younger players. Don’t expect Max deals, we have youth behind you. You guys haven’t made playoffs and a few parts could be moved for a good players. Compe ion is good and so is other teams wanting our players. Murray or 1-15

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I felt like I was in the twilight zone when the Spurs picked exactly who I thought (and wanted) at each pick in the first round

Fun stuff
    Im ashamed to admit when Silver said ".. Jeremy Sochan" when the Spurs drafted I stood up off the couch and gave a few hard fist pumps and "come ons" !!

Gets tiring watching the Spurs be outsized, outrebounded, out defended on most nights and especially the play in game where they got straight bullied by the Pels. The Pels 2-guard (Herb Jones) was bigger than the Spurs power forward (Keldon). That aint gonna work.

Not anymore though. Drafting Sochan slides Keldon to the 3 and moved Doug to the bench and all of a sudden the Spurs have + size at every position, + defense and + rebounding at four of the five starting positions assuming they role with Jan-Sochan-Keldon-Devin-Murray. Then there's scoring and athleticism off the bench too.

Awesome foundation the Spurs have created for themselves. They can seriously build something really good off this.

Thread Information