Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know how many people remember how after the Aldridge signing in 2015, a bunch of OG STers came back for a bit. Is this draft going to be the next Field of Dreams moment for the site?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a good day.

Wristcutters can go themselves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love this draft more and more the more I think about it
    me too, I really feel the front office knocked this one out of the park.

Never expected them to make all 3 picks as well!q

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love this draft more and more the more I think about it
    It's solid at the very least.... Do you think we reignite the Murray talks next week or try and build with Murray? Curious as to how you see is using our cap space too...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's solid at the very least.... Do you think we reignite the Murray talks next week or try and build with Murray? Curious as to how you see is using our cap space too...
    With TiMVP's comments on how the Spurs see Primo as the long term solution to PG and with the plethora of guards on the roster it seems to me that Murray's time with the Spurs is limited. I am certain that they will wait until they have the deal they want--maybe even to next offseason, but at some point they will pull the trigger. I wonder how bad the pick protection was that the Spurs weren't willing to pull the trigger on 4 FRPs?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With TiMVP's comments on how the Spurs see Primo as the long term solution to PG and with the plethora of guards on the roster it seems to me that Murray's time with the Spurs is limited. I am certain that they will wait until they have the deal they want--maybe even to next offseason, but at some point they will pull the trigger. I wonder how bad the pick protection was that the Spurs weren't willing to pull the trigger on 4 FRPs?
    I think he's worth less next offseason simply because he'd be on an expiring contract and would be an Ufa at the end of the season. If we're going to trade him then nows the time to extract maximum value...there should be more suitors besides Atl that will be interest once FA starts too..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray fits on Miami better than Kyle Lowry.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the picture I'm drinking Oscar Blues G'Night Imperial Red. Cheers.
    Imperial Red ..............

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk youuuuuuuuuuu

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defensive wing to help poodle power-check(sochan)
    guard who can create and shoot-check(malakai)
    project with potential upside-check(wesley)

could of been alot worse
    Great summary.

I am there!!!

The happiest I have been about a draft in a long time.

Would have loved a big man with upside, but can’t have it all, and to make that wish of mine a reality, they would have had to sacrifice other things.

Chinook and Timvp sold me on Barlow as a good project, or at least an intriguing guy… so I am in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i loved this draft. it would have been capped off for me, personally, if procida had been available at #38. but i am very pleased with how last night played out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is my take currently… (and I reserve the right to change it bc things are fluid), Id rather they try to build a better team next season and get a costar for Murray. He really took a step forward, made the all star team, was in the running solidly for MIP. Ive waxed poetic about how that is no slight to Murray at all. He was great. Could even get better with vet experience, getting more comfortable, and if he had a real costar, who knows what the team can do.

Id try to make a legitimate effort to improve getting like Ayton to partner with him. In fact if they passed on making an aggressive move to draft Duren bc their play is Ayton Id be excstatic with that. Id really want to see what Murray could do with someone who can shoulder offensive load on a nightly basis as well. Ayton is the guy that comes to my mind as one of the best possible fits as a partner for Murray among the players currently available, but Id have to see if there are other plays to be made as well. Spurs could continue to develop their youngins alongside a vet duo of Murray and whoever… but my current take is that if they decide to keep Murray and are looking forward to committing to him with a big extension, you have to make at least one significant win now move to get him immediate help.

Otherwise we need to look at a scenario that understandably many fans are reluctant to look at. My first option is not to trade Murray… but if you can’t get him help? You have to pick up the phone and try to continue to get a haul for him bc I think there is a timeframe with him for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i loved this draft. it would have been capped off for me, personally, if procida had been available at #38. but i am very pleased with how last night played out.
    You have to consider the possibility that who they really wanted at 38 was Houstan… he also went earlier.

But its a hypothetical. I do think that they felt comfortable selling that pick and kicking it down the road bc whoever they wanted at that spot was taken.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect Murray to have more value at the trade deadline. Right now nobody believes in his second half, not a lot even recognize that he had a great second half. Spurs were never on tv and he was recovering from illness in the play-in game and didn't look great

He took a big jump once White was traded.

His first half of the season next year, with the chip on his shoulder from trade talks, the potential of a supermax, and hopefully a stronger roster at the outset with Sochan minutes and Collins ready the whole year instead of Eubanks ...

He should put up monster numbers.

Locked on Hawks when talking about the rumors was of course in favor of getting Murray but at the same time downplaying how good he was, there's still this narrative out there that he's just a defender basically. And the LoH host is one of the best guys in the basketball media game, though he does tend to think Hawks players need godfather packages in return.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to consider the possibility that who they really wanted at 38 was Houstan… he also went earlier.

But its a hypothetical. I do think that they felt comfortable selling that pick and kicking it down the road bc whoever they wanted at that spot was taken.
    Liddell at 38 would’ve given them another strong defensive PF who can score, instead of trading to potentially late 2nd round. That part I didn’t get.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is my take currently… (and I reserve the right to change it bc things are fluid), Id rather they try to build a better team next season and get a costar for Murray. He really took a step forward, made the all star team, was in the running solidly for MIP. Ive waxed poetic about how that is no slight to Murray at all. He was great. Could even get better with vet experience, getting more comfortable, and if he had a real costar, who knows what the team can do.

Id try to make a legitimate effort to improve getting like Ayton to partner with him. In fact if they passed on making an aggressive move to draft Duren bc their play is Ayton Id be excstatic with that. Id really want to see what Murray could do with someone who can shoulder offensive load on a nightly basis as well. Ayton is the guy that comes to my mind as one of the best possible fits as a partner for Murray among the players currently available, but Id have to see if there are other plays to be made as well. Spurs could continue to develop their youngins alongside a vet duo of Murray and whoever… but my current take is that if they decide to keep Murray and are looking forward to committing to him with a big extension, you have to make at least one significant win now move to get him immediate help.

Otherwise we need to look at a scenario that understandably many fans are reluctant to look at. My first option is not to trade Murray… but if you can’t get him help? You have to pick up the phone and try to continue to get a haul for him bc I think there is a timeframe with him for sure.
    I like the general thought process you're putting forward there but, I don't think Ayton is enough to move the needle much. If we were to pull of a Poeltl+Richardson +McDermott trade for Ayton+Saric or something similar I don't think we've raised our win total next season. We'd still have alot of cap space but we'd need one more player between Murray and Ayton that's better than both to really make a dent. Now don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to do that instead of trading Murray for picks but I just don't see that 3rd player who's a legitimate star we can bring in. Do you have any thoughts on who'd that be? Ayton + Murray only gets us back to the play-in with some luck and that's not worth punting on next year's draft for that kind of mediocrity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Liddell at 38 would’ve given them another strong defensive PF who can score, instead of trading to potentially late 2nd round. That part I didn’t get.

The Spurs did not want four rookies on the regular roster. You can understand that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs did not want four rookies on the regular roster. You can understand that.
    Dominick Barlow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the general thought process you're putting forward there but, I don't think Ayton is enough to move the needle much. If we were to pull of a Poeltl+Richardson +McDermott trade for Ayton+Saric or something similar I don't think we've raised our win total next season. We'd still have alot of cap space but we'd need one more player between Murray and Ayton that's better than both to really make a dent. Now don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to do that instead of trading Murray for picks but I just don't see that 3rd player who's a legitimate star we can bring in. Do you have any thoughts on who'd that be? Ayton + Murray only gets us back to the play-in with some luck and that's not worth punting on next year's draft for that kind of mediocrity.
    I think Ayton would improve the team significantly. I dont think ppl realize how much they overrate Jakob frankly. I hate to get in this kind of subject bc it looks like I am attacking Jakob when I really am not. He has been solid, very good for what they have needed, but the last time the Spurs were a compe ive team they were anchored by a C with an offensive game and the Spurs liked legit big men who could shoot so much that even having Timmy D, they signed LMA to partner with Kawhi, and then went and signed Paul Gasol. I think the Spurs just have sets and things in their offense that require a center with much more talent than Jakob has. Not everyone is going to be GSW. They have an all time player in their team. Its like trying to be the Chicago Bulls of the 90s when you don’t have Jordan and Pippen. Not going to happen for anybody.

Murray creates so many shots for Jakob its incredible. That is actually what has boosted Jakob’s production. All these people waxing poetic about how CP3 has boosted all their bigs, need to acknowledge that Murray has propped up Jakob so much as well, that he might well get himself into a $17 million year deal next summer bc of it. I think Murray with a more gifted player as a partner is already a bonus. Then you have to count on Johnson playing like he did to end the season and Vassel making a leap… I think the Spurs have enough to get better if they add one significant piece like Ayton is.

Then Id try to make something happen for the bench. Id like a veteran there to take up Walkers role. I like the SG they drafted, but the Spurs dont generally come in putting pressure on rookies to shoulder a big burden. They probably will place more on Primo’s shoulders. Maybe they make a play for like Gordon Hayward, get assets for him, and have him be the bench scorer, limiting his minutes to keep him healthy and also give a veteran presence to help their young guys?

How does that sound?

I dont mention Lavine bc Chicago will max him. I dont know who else is realistic to get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I cant edit my post bc of the admin trying to keep the server speed working.. but Id add that the play for Gordon Hayward would go in hand with plays they have made recently to rehab injured veteran players to bolster their bench like most notably Rudy Gay, but more recently Zollins.

I am sure there could be other potential candidates there. I am not the most plugged in person for what’s available.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Ayton would improve the team significantly. I dont think ppl realize how much they overrate Jakob frankly. I hate to get in this kind of subject bc it looks like I am attacking Jakob when I really am not. He has been solid, very good for what they have needed, but the last time the Spurs were a compe ive team they were anchored by a C with an offensive game and the Spurs liked legit big men who could shoot so much that even having Timmy D, they signed LMA to partner with Kawhi, and then went and signed Paul Gasol. I think the Spurs just have sets and things in their offense that require a center with much more talent than Jakob has. Not everyone is going to be GSW. They have an all time player in their team. Its like trying to be the Chicago Bulls of the 90s when you don’t have Jordan and Pippen. Not going to happen for anybody.

Murray creates so many shots for Jakob its incredible. That is actually what has boosted Jakob’s production. All these people waxing poetic about how CP3 has boosted all their bigs, need to acknowledge that Murray has propped up Jakob so much as well, that he might well get himself into a $17 million year deal next summer bc of it. I think Murray with a more gifted player as a partner is already a bonus. Then you have to count on Johnson playing like he did to end the season and Vassel making a leap… I think the Spurs have enough to get better if they add one significant piece like Ayton is.

Then Id try to make something happen for the bench. Id like a veteran there to take up Walkers role. I like the SG they drafted, but the Spurs dont generally come in putting pressure on rookies to shoulder a big burden. They probably will place more on Primo’s shoulders. Maybe they make a play for like Gordon Hayward, get assets for him, and have him be the bench scorer, limiting his minutes to keep him healthy and also give a veteran presence to help their young guys?

How does that sound?

I dont mention Lavine bc Chicago will max him. I dont know who else is realistic to get.
    I get where you're coming from but I think making that deal to get Ayton plus a veteran puts us somewhere between 8 and 10 on the West. I do agree that Ayton is a better offensive scorer than Jak and I also think he's just more physical but that's really the only separation I see. I just personally don't think it's wise to give up a top pick in next years draft for an 8th seed (at best). Now of there's a path to adding a player that better than Murray so we have a trio there...we'll then I'm all ears...or as Mr Body might say..."you son of a I'm in" lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I spent years here in the think tank studying players. Doing analytics and talking metrics when it comes to players. I don't do it as much as I used to, but in saying that I have no idea why any of you think any of these first three picks are bad. Everything all these three players do works and all the shortcomings can be addressed over time. The upside is far, far greater than the limitations. You have one starter and two guys who can add actual quality depth. You have a young roster that is now full of talent that becomes even more valuable from an asset standpoint going forward. Now...for the first time in a long time...you have real expanded options. You can develop it all and win...or you can make those necessary moves and win. Spurs are standing on solid ass ing ground right now.

I'm not saying they are back, but this is the path.

GSG.
    So much optimism in this that I had to post for the first time in years. Damn you, Facto!

GSG

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spindletap out of Houston is rolling out some damn good right now. My local brewery ETX brewing has great beers too. But Im old school. Gimme a good ole Dales Pale Ale on tap or when Im in the Dallas are that Velvet Hammer from Peticolas always hits home.
    Bruh, the best IPA out of Houston (area) is Lone Pint's Yellow Rose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

we don't really knew who they wanted. i mean, as of just yesterday, there were those already convinced that the spurs were going to take dieng at 9. they were clearly interested in both procida and houstan but both were off the board, as you stated. perhaps they had even decided that their 1st round haul was good enough to no longer hold on to the 2nd round pick before the round even started.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dominick Barlow

He’s a two-way signing.

The Spurs currently have 12 players under contract for next season (on the regular roster.) The NBA limit is 15, of course. With the three draft picks added, that brings them to 15. It’s an excellent position to be in. It means other teams won’t have an advantage in trade talks because of the Spurs needing to get rid of somebody. We can be tough in trade negotiations.

Thread Information