Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I spent years here in the think tank studying players. Doing analytics and talking metrics when it comes to players. I don't do it as much as I used to, but in saying that I have no idea why any of you think any of these first three picks are bad. Everything all these three players do works and all the shortcomings can be addressed over time. The upside is far, far greater than the limitations. You have one starter and two guys who can add actual quality depth. You have a young roster that is now full of talent that becomes even more valuable from an asset standpoint going forward. Now...for the first time in a long time...you have real expanded options. You can develop it all and win...or you can make those necessary moves and win. Spurs are standing on solid ass ing ground right now.

I'm not saying they are back, but this is the path.

GSG.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I spent years here in the think tank studying players. Doing analytics and talking metrics when it comes to players. I don't do it as much as I used to, but in saying that I have no idea why any of you think any of these first three picks are bad. Everything all these three players do works and all the shortcomings can be addressed over time. The upside is far, far greater than the limitations. You have one starter and two guys who can add actual quality depth. You have a young roster that is now full of talent that becomes even more valuable from an asset standpoint going forward. Now...for the first time in a long time...you have real expanded options. You can develop it all and win...or you can make those necessary moves and win. Spurs are standing on solid ass ing ground right now.

I'm not saying they are back, but this is the path.

GSG.
    GSG

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You son of a . I'm in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The word is GLUT. Too many guards, not enough spots. And if you open up spots, that means youre guving up on two recent draft picks, in essence, in Walker and Jones at minimum. Which is fine if that's necessary for cap space or whatever, but it'll take a couple of years at least before our third pick is as talented or better than either one of those guys. Thus, your talent level just dropped for a couple years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The word is GLUT. Too many guards, not enough spots. And if you open up spots, that means youre guving up on two recent draft picks, in essence, in Walker and Jones at minimum. Which is fine if that's necessary for cap space or whatever, but it'll take a couple of years at least before our third pick is as talented or better than either one of those guys. Thus, your talent level just dropped for a couple years.
    I could dig heavy into this take, but I don't have the time or energy anymore. Just trust me Mr. Joined in 2015, things will be fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without making any trades, there isn’t much more than nitpicking to do with their 3 picks tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best draft since '97

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could dig heavy into this take, but I don't have the time or energy anymore. Just trust me Mr. Joined in 2015, things will be fine.
    Lol. You just did the equivalent of the classic dodge of the I see all the time of Mr 158 followers on Twitter. I was on this board in 2009 maybe 2008, dipwad mostly as a surfer. And even if I was new as yesterday, my point is valid and it speaks poorly of your intelligencethat you think this dig is meaningful.

Spurs have way too many guards, and moreover, way too many in the 6'4" range and below. Wesley might turn out to be a grwat pick, but we passed on a mul ude of other players that were PFs, legit SFs, and even a couple of Cs, which this team desperately needs help in.

So Mr I only post a few times a month guy, stick it up your pie hole. You and your arrogance can sit on a pole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without making any trades, there isn’t much more than nitpicking to do with their 3 picks tbh
    There's pretty much nothing to be disappointed about. In all the years Ive been here and all the meltdowns Ive seen during drafts tonight is definitely not the night. They did good...if not great with their picks. We'll let it play out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol. You just did the equivalent of the classic dodge of the I see all the time of Mr 158 followers on Twitter. I was on this board in 2009 maybe 2008, dipwad mostly as a surfer. And even if I was new as yesterday, my point is valid and it speaks poorly of your intelligencethat you think this dig is meaningful.

Spurs have way too many guards, and moreover, way too many in the 6'4" range and below. Wesley might turn out to be a grwat pick, but we passed on a mul ude of other players that were PFs, legit SFs, and even a couple of Cs, which this team desperately needs help in.

So Mr I only post a few times a month guy, stick it up your pie hole. You and your arrogance can sit on a pole.
    Perhaps stop drinking and proofread your posts. I said what I said. You may go now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the picks. But I would’ve taken Kamagate as international stash to top it off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's pretty much nothing to be disappointed about. In all the years Ive been here and all the meltdowns Ive seen during drafts tonight is definitely not the night. They did good...if not great with their picks. We'll let it play out
    For a rebuilding team, anything outside the lottery are dart throws are far as who is actually going to be a second contract guy. Not looking for role players at that point. Swing for the fences with Malaki and and Wesley. Not going to let Primo or Vassell stop me from swinging at those positions either. Just like we were smart not to let White or Walker stop us from taking swings there either.

Sochan isn’t a franchise player but it’s hard to listen to any analysis talk about him and not think “they’re literally describing draymond green”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quality thread.

Spurs fans (in general) hate Lonnie Walker, and they drafted two Lonnie Walker replacements. So, that should be enough to stop any complaints about this draft.

Hopefully the Spurs can do something in free agency, but there shouldn't be any bellyaching about drafting these three 19 year olds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that the draft checked most of the big boxes.

I wanted: A PF who could defend the best forwards, a guard who could defend the elite PGs, a strong offensive player, a backup center with potential.

I would say the Spurs got the first two unambiguously and might well have gotten the third one with their last first. I'll defer to others about Wesley, but it does look like he has the quickness and instincts to make that happen. Obviously, not all of these guys will be ready to fill those roles next season. But that's what you get when you draft.

The lack of a center does stand as a miss opportunity, and the Barlow signing was another chance they passed up. Given that they have three primary centers on the roster already and might even play Sochan there, it's not an immediate need. But I'll wonder if it was a good idea to take Wesley over a center at least until I get shut up during the summer league.

I'm glad the team is going to bring in four rookies. They had the room for it on the roster. four of the five positions have renewed depth. This can't be the only major event of the off-season, but it was a good opening act.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have a fantastic mix of talent to build upon or upgrade against if the right fit comes along. Love Sochan as an immediate fit and love the potential of Branham and Wesley as difference-making guards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quality thread.

Spurs fans (in general) hate Lonnie Walker, and they drafted two Lonnie Walker replacements. So, that should be enough to stop any complaints about this draft.

Hopefully the Spurs can do something in free agency, but there shouldn't be any bellyaching about drafting these three 19 year olds.
    Branham feels like a higher floor than Lonnie, but agree that Wesley could be a Lonnie clone. Love the cheap replacement upside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I wanted: A PF who could defend the best forwards, a guard who could defend the elite PGs, a strong offensive player, a backup center with potential.

I would say the Spurs got the first two unambiguously and might well have gotten the third one with their last first. I'll defer to others about Wesley, but it does look like he has the quickness and instincts to make that happen. Obviously, not all of these guys will be ready to fill those roles next season. But that's what you get when you draft.

The lack of a center does stand as a miss opportunity, and the Barlow signing was another chance they passed up. Given that they have three primary centers on the roster already and might even play Sochan there, it's not an immediate need. But I'll wonder if it was a good idea to take Wesley over a center at least until I get shut up during the summer league.

I'm glad the team is going to bring in four rookies. They had the room for it on the roster. four of the five positions have renewed depth. This can't be the only major event of the off-season, but it was a good opening act.
    3 rookies. Kennedy Chandler is going to Memphis for future 2nd pick and cash. I would’ve like Kamagate there instead as international stash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3 rookies. Kennedy Chandler is going to Memphis for future 2nd pick and cash. I would’ve like Kamagate there instead as international stash.
    Four rookies. The Spurs signed Dominick Barlow as a two-way contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't you want Dieng with the #9?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quality thread.

What's good Kori...I just asked LJ where you were a bit ago lol. I'm excited about the youngsters and I hope to take in a few games for the first time in several years. Life has just been busy and ing loud. I'm ready to get back to easy things like basketball lol. Finally get with Mrs. Maalox and hit a few of those breweries she's always talking about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't you want Dieng with the #9?
    He's an idiot tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the most excited I’ve been as a Spurs fan in years. Really happy with our draft tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the most excited I’ve been as a Spurs fan in years. Really happy with our draft tonight.
    This roster now has tremendous versatility. Lots of options and directions to go. Now, from here...you really ing build a team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is what people don't ing get. It looks like real building now. Not the horse we have had to endure since the last trophy hit the case. At least attempt to understand what this franchise is trying to do.

Thread Information