Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Redd was a killer, too bad injuries slowed down his career. If Branham is anything like Redd I will be happy as .
    I was a fan of Michael Redd. I respected his game. It seems Milwaukee also had our number during the Spurs' championship years. I think they had the best winning record against us compared to every other team? Not sure if we were still about .500 against them, but yeah, seemed like they always played hard against us, and Redd was hard to guard even with an elite defender like Bruce Bowen. I would be extremely happy if he's anything like Michael Redd. Shout out to Michael Redd, too. He was a great player IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Offensive numbers look great but the tapes don't buy me. He seems kind slow, which hurt him on defense, and on offense I saw him making all kinds of difficult shots over people. Didn't really show a consistent ability to get by folks. Will he translate his tough shots making ability over NBA athletes or will he Jimmy Fredette it? I have more faith on Wesley.
    Waaay too early, but this is spot on so far. And it isn't even vs NBA compe ion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Branham needs more plays called for him, he missed a couple good kick outs from Wesley but I’m not too worried. He seems like the type of player who works better with a system and just needs some time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not worried about Branham. They basically didn't give him any midrange isos so far, which is his bread and butter. He also made some nice passes to the open man. His 3-point shot ain't looking too good right now though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you can shoot, you can shoot. He's got the size, he's got the skills, he's got the character. He'll put in the work. Not the greatest athlete, but neither were Rip Hamilton or Michael Redd. He just needs to adjust to a new environment like he did in College and work on his range and he'll be fine.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with Branham is he lacks athleticism so if his shot isn't falling he isn't going to get you many points going to the basket.

Spurs overall have a team full of players who lack athleticism. Probably the least athletic team in the league. This is a huge problem with the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you can shoot, you can shoot. He's got the size, he's got the skills, he's got the character. He'll put in the work. Not the greatest athlete, but neither were Rip Hamilton or Michael Redd. He just needs to adjust to a new environment like he did in College and work on his range and he'll be fine.
    Fredette could shoot, tbh. Better than Brahnam. If you don't belong, you don't belong. Hopefully that isn't the case with Malakai.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fredette could shoot, tbh. Better than Brahnam. If you don't belong, you don't belong. Hopefully that isn't the case with Malakai.
    I'm not saying shooting alone guarantees success, I'm saying given what we know he can do, he's got ample room to acquire what he's missing. Fredette was an undersized (6'1") senior (22 y.o.) one trick pony, whereas Malaki is much taller (6'5") and younger (19 y.o) who's shown fast and steady improvement in his lone year in College. There's absolutely no reason to believe his second summer league game is the end of his progression.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m sure all of you were just as good in year one at your job as you are now……. If so, raise your hand CLOWNS. Go paint your face

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying shooting alone guarantees success, I'm saying given what we know he can do, he's got ample room to acquire what he's missing. Fredette was an undersized (6'1") senior (22 y.o.) one trick pony, whereas Malaki is much taller (6'5") and younger (19 y.o) who's shown fast and steady improvement in his lone year in College. There's absolutely no reason to believe his second summer league game is the end of his progression.
    You sir, should stop with the hypocrisy! Go to bed

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You sir, should stop with the hypocrisy! Go to bed
    What makes you think Primo is going to be great? Give me something other than his age.

There are other players his age who look much better. Even Wesley is looking better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What makes you think Primo is going to be great? Give me something other than his age.

There are other players his age who look much better. Even Wesley is looking better.
    He seems to have good offensive instincts. The game looks slower for him. I think at worse he'll be a Kyle Anderson sg. I think he'll likely be a Marcus Smart with worse D but better shooting. And ceiling will be like sop re bradon Roy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs plays to be drawn to him, because he is not as agressive as Wesley is. That was my concern if he got outplayed by Wesley at the workout, and now being outplayed again at the SL. I’m sure with better players around him, the ball will find him and should be able to knock them down. But even before that, I like to see Malaki more assertive, start demanding the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs plays to be drawn to him, because he is not as agressive as Wesley is. That was my concern if he got outplayed by Wesley at the workout, and now being outplayed again at the SL. I’m sure with better players around him, the ball will find him and should be able to knock them down. But even before that, I like to see Malaki more assertive, start demanding the ball.
    Wasn't it a timvp article, where it said that Wesley and Branham are on different development times. That Wesley is a year or 2 away, whereas Branham is probably only a quarter of a season. Interesting that Wesley looks more ready?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't it a timvp article, where it said that Wesley and Branham are on different development times. That Wesley is a year or 2 away, whereas Branham is probably only a quarter of a season. Interesting that Wesley looks more ready?
    He also noted that it doesn't look like there's any offensive system for the spurs summer league. People are just playing street ball. Branham was in a system that he controlled. His midrange is clogged as well because the spurs don't really have a big that can punish the other team down low or that consistently stretches the court. So the mid range is cramped with defenders. Makes a wings life extremely tough when they're all just waiting for a turn to drive into a clutter.

That being said, it does seem that defense is more of the focus for summer league per par the spurs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah i remember reading that on here. I was about to point that out, Wesley seems to be more ready now than Branham.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He also noted that it doesn't look like there's any offensive system for the spurs summer league. People are just playing street ball. Branham was in a system that he controlled. His midrange is clogged as well because the spurs don't really have a big that can punish the other team down low or that consistently stretches the court. So the mid range is cramped with defenders. Makes a wings life extremely tough when they're all just waiting for a turn to drive into a clutter.

That being said, it does seem that defense is more of the focus for summer league per par the spurs.
    True. Likewise in All-Star games, those who normally take over are the point guards and forwards who controll the tempo and who gets the ball. Shooting guards and Centers have to wait a set play for them. Branham is the same. Still the coach needs to get him more involved to get him going I think

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time will tell but I think most here are underestimating Malaki Branham's athleticism. He's smooth and that tends to make it not jump off the page compared to guys like Ivey or Wesley but it's there. The difference is he doesn't call on it for every play like those guys. I have no worries with him..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time will tell but I think most here are underestimating Malaki Branham's athleticism. He's smooth and that tends to make it not jump off the page compared to guys like Ivey or Wesley but it's there. The difference is he doesn't call on it for every play like those guys. I have no worries with him..
    Yup. If he hadn't screwed that dunk we'd be talking about it today. He's not an off the charts athlete, but it's being blown out of proportion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. If he hadn't screwed that dunk we'd be talking about it today. He's not an off the charts athlete, but it's being blown out of proportion.
    Exactly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Branham needs more plays called for him, he missed a couple good kick outs from Wesley but I’m not too worried. He seems like the type of player who works better with a system and just needs some time.
    i agree. i think malaki was the odd man out yesterday because the ball wasn't in his hands much last night. there were way too many possessions where the PG was ball dominant and there was no movement. malaki just looked lost out there. but he needs to learn how to get involved in whatever way that he can. but we are seeing the reason why he will spend a good amount of time in the g-league this season. he clearly has a lot to learn.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bro, I’ve outlined my position in various threads We can agree to disagree homie; time will tell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. Likewise in All-Star games, those who normally take over are the point guards and forwards who controll the tempo and who gets the ball. Shooting guards and Centers have to wait a set play for them. Branham is the same. Still the coach needs to get him more involved to get him going I think
    Yea, I don't want to bash on the coaching too much because I know he's had like a few days with a bunch of, let's be real, Kids who haven't played together or very long career wise and all had different systems.

But like you said, the coaches have to get him going or involved somehow. Not just sporadic touches.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea, and it's probably has to do with they only see him on defense, where he is very poor at positioning and moving. Makes him look even slower.

The coaches need to help get him involved and slow the pace for him. The PGs have been very ball dominant and have strong tunnel vision. It's obvious who they want to pass to, if they are going to pass. Sets the other guys up for bad possessions.

Thread Information