Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It may surprise people that, for the player, there is no financial advantage to being drafted in the 2nd round versus being undrafted. The contract rules are exactly the same. First-round picks benefit from special contract rules, but 2nd-round picks don’t.

It appears that the Spurs, after getting a good look at Barlow, promised him a two-way contract. The Spurs probably also told him they couldn’t draft him with their 2nd round pick, because of other plans. (They traded it.)

So Barlow accepted the guarantee from the Spurs, instead of the uncertainty of staying in the draft, where he could
    end up with nothing. A wise decision, I think. The acquaintance with coach Johnson surely helped.
    It’s all a negotiation so having the right representation helps. Look at Kennedy Chandler.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "She kept pushing me." I think that's true for most of our mothers, at least at the beginning.
    Ba dum dum tss

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It may surprise people that, for the player, there is no financial advantage to being drafted in the 2nd round versus being undrafted. The contract rules are exactly the same. First-round picks benefit from special contract rules, but 2nd-round picks don’t.

It appears that the Spurs, after getting a good look at Barlow, promised him a two-way contract. The Spurs probably also told him they couldn’t draft him with their 2nd round pick, because of other plans. (They traded it.)

So Barlow accepted the guarantee from the Spurs, instead of the uncertainty of staying in the draft, where he could end up with nothing. A wise decision, I think. The acquaintance with coach Johnson surely helped.
    I understand that there's no real difference between undrafted and second round for a player, but what was to prevent another team from drafting him?
    He definitely looks a lot more intriguing than a lot of players taken in the second round

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him. Great length and wingspan to go with amazing nimbleness, handling and athleticism for that size--and probably still growing. In Addition, I like his body structure from ground to shoulders. It looks pretty damn solid with the ability to put on some more weight and muscle without losing his current athleticism.

Also, did you notice he has the ability to move, pivot and shoot with his off (left) hand. I've watched KBD miss so many layups where he'd get loose from his man and blow the shot at the rim. This kid just may be a real find for the PF spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    barlow may be the beneficiary of sochan being ruled out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barlow looked comfortable in the summer league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barlow looked comfortable in the summer league
    He’s a great find, and only 19! Only good things could come from getting him this early and Barlow willing to put in the work. And if any “growth spurt” still possible, sonofa I’m in!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s a great find, and only 19! Only good things could come from getting him this early and Barlow willing to put in the work. And if any “growth spurt” still possible, sonofa I’m in!
    Indeed. He's got a 7'3" wingspan too. A lot of upside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Indeed. He's got a 7'3" wingspan too. A lot of upside.
    Man we have five 19 years old ala Fav 5

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have officially signed Dominick Barlow to a two-way contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have officially signed Dominick Barlow to a two-way contract.
    Great find.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope they don’t rush his development! He may still be growing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Honestly, Barlow looks like how I thought Sochan would look, albeit a skinny and taller version. Obviously, I hope Sochan is much more. But Barlow looks incredibly agile out there. He needs to work on his hands though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The sad thing is, since he’s on a two way, we shouldnt expect him to carve out a role on the big club until next year at the earliest. So if anyone wants to follow his development, better watch all the g league games. IMO, this signing is peak Spurs and is one of the best in years. I know it’s early, but I feel they knocked this one out of the ballpark. I don’t like to make extreme claims like this one, but when I do, it’s because I have a strong feeling (just like I did with Wesley and JWill, who rose to #12 pick).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barlow has a nice skill set but he seems to work hard and is engaged on the court. The kid is still out to prove something. He's very raw but I will be definitely following his progress in the G League this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He arguably played against lower compe ion than he would have had he gone to a good college. I know he wasn't highly recruited, but I'm just saying he has a long way to grow. It would help if he's actually able to grow a bit more. He's big enough to be a center if he puts on weight, but another inch or two would seal it. His floor game is interesting, but I'd much rather him focus on spot-up shooting and rolling right now. He seems to have stone hands, which is concerning for potential as a finisher. Defensively, I liked everything I saw from him. He's going to be competent on that end, but he does seem like he'll be too small to be a true game-defining guy. I think he's going to have to make it as a combination of offense or defense. He's got good potential on both ends, but he seems to lack the elite potential at either to make it solely based on that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He arguably played against lower compe ion than he would have had he gone to a good college. I know he wasn't highly recruited, but I'm just saying he has a long way to grow. It would help if he's actually able to grow a bit more. He's big enough to be a center if he puts on weight, but another inch or two would seal it. His floor game is interesting, but I'd much rather him focus on spot-up shooting and rolling right now. He seems to have stone hands, which is concerning for potential as a finisher. Defensively, I liked everything I saw from him. He's going to be competent on that end, but he does seem like he'll be too small to be a true game-defining guy. I think he's going to have to make it as a combination of offense or defense. He's got good potential on both ends, but he seems to lack the elite potential at either to make it solely based on that.
    I don't know. If you look at the teams that are making it on the NBA right now, their crunch time lineups don't usually have incredible tall centers. Draymond Green, Horford, Adebayo, Powell/Kleber, just to name the latest conference finalists.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His defense on Kuminga and even Wiseman was super impressive. Not fouling and even made them miss.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "She kept pushing me." I think that's true for most of our mothers, at least at the beginning.
    Very nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a growing kid who is growing into his body while maintaining great athleticism instead of having some awkwardness. We don't have anyone on the roster with his physical attributes. I believe he will be the Spurs "steal" of this year. The other guys we took were well-known and at major schools where they were scouted intensively. This kid was pretty much under the radar.

Little things i picked up: Moves well without ball to get open. Pretty good handle for a big guy (spin moves, cross over) can take a hit and complete the shot, athletic blocks and rebounds. 3 pt range ok. Now we face the conundrum of whether he plays in Austin to hone his game or gets real world experience with the big club.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a growing kid who is growing into his body while maintaining great athleticism instead of having some awkwardness. We don't have anyone on the roster with his physical attributes. I believe he will be the Spurs "steal" of this year. The other guys we took were well-known and at major schools where they were scouted intensively. This kid was pretty much under the radar.

Little things i picked up: Moves well without ball to get open. Pretty good handle for a big guy (spin moves, cross over) can take a hit and complete the shot, athletic blocks and rebounds. 3 pt range ok. Now we face the conundrum of whether he plays in Austin to hone his game or gets real world experience with the big club.
    I hope austin for a year; no rush to bring him up. Reps is what he will need at this level of compe ion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if there's any intention of drafting a stash with Barlow in mind. That could be a CIA-Ginobili on asking about international contract to throw off the scent

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is looking like a great pick up. Dude is a good athlete for a big and plays hard all the time. Austin Spurs are going to be fun to watch this season with him and the other rookies we have.

I do hope Sochan plays more with the big club though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barlow is the first player ever from Overtime Elite that has signed a contract with an NBA team

the other two are on X10 deals

Overtime Elite is a league that was only set up a year ago. It is backed by Durant, Melo, and others. The way I understand it, is that the focus for setting it up is to allow aspiring teens to have access to adult basketball training to prepare them for their future basketball career.

so this is a very unique path.

and if Barlow makes it, then in a way this will be similar to how Manu was drafted— the Spurs trailblazing a way for finding good players in places other teams didn’t want to look yet

Thread Information