Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I far prefer the Ignite to the Elite. It's a much better level of compe ion and exposes the players. Of course having a league of like players could make sense, especially if it stops becoming the expectation that players are one-and-done and thus can build some continuity. Having more alternatives to the NCAA is a good thing, but if I were a top recruit, I would totally pick the Ignite at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barlow is the first player ever from Overtime Elite that has signed a contract with an NBA team

the other two are on X10 deals

Overtime Elite is a league that was only set up a year ago. It is backed by Durant, Melo, and others. The way I understand it, is that the focus for setting it up is to allow aspiring teens to have access to adult basketball training to prepare them for their future basketball career.

so this is a very unique path.

and if Barlow makes it, then in a way this will be similar to how Manu was drafted— the Spurs trailblazing a way for finding good players in places other teams didn’t want to look yet
    I think it's for players 16 to 19. It has yet to find it's niche, but I suspect it may end up as an alternative to high schoolers rather than College or the G League. But yes, being a pioneer is a good way to reap big time rewards before everyone else catches on. It's just amazing at how little cost that opportunity came (Barlow). Seems like a great find.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's for players 16 to 19. It has yet to find it's niche, but I suspect it may end up as an alternative to high schoolers rather than College or the G League. But yes, being a pioneer is a good way to reap big time rewards before everyone else catches on. It's just amazing at how little cost that opportunity came (Barlow). Seems like a great find.
    It sounds like Overtime Elite and the Ignite are not always mutually exclusive. A player could go to Overtime at 16 and get picked up by the Ignite at 18 if he's good enough, then get drafted a year later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barlow could be our Kevin Mchale

Hope he learns from Duncan a lot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect Barlow was their target all-along as their 4th pick having Primo's agent and all, and played wonderfully on Spurs plan, not having enough roster spot. I wonder which other teams could be interested in him. He did perform well at the Combine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's also possible the Spurs end up agreeing to upgrade Barlow to a full contract once the dust settles. He may or may not be willing to sign a Hinkie special, but a two-way deal isn't a vehicle to control that it might seem. It has a more restrictive RFA process than a regular deal does. With Poeltl and the others still being on the team, it makes sense for Barlow to not being on the main roster. But if Jakob does get sent out without another center coming back, then Barlow might end up playing enough to require upgrading his contract. We'll have to see him in camp against actual NBA bigs before worrying about that, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's also possible the Spurs end up agreeing to upgrade Barlow to a full contract once the dust settles. He may or may not be willing to sign a Hinkie special, but a two-way deal isn't a vehicle to control that it might seem. It has a more restrictive RFA process than a regular deal does. With Poeltl and the others still being on the team, it makes sense for Barlow to not being on the main roster. But if Jakob does get sent out without another center coming back, then Barlow might end up playing enough to require upgrading his contract. We'll have to see him in camp against actual NBA bigs before worrying about that, though.
    I'm still intrigued by the fact no one drafted him in the second round or he was lightly recruited out of high school

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (1) Runs ahead of everyone on the break.
    (2) Makes most of his free throws
    (3) Has good handles for his size
    (4) Can hit the 3
    (5) Can finish with contact.
    (6) 7'3" winspan that you cannot teach!

I don't get why he wasn't drafted.

He's only 19 and you can see that his legs aren't that strong. But he's got the frame to build muscle.

Smith drafted #3 had trouble scoring on him.

19 year olds aren't expected to have a big impact on the NBA. But if we look at the growth trajectory of Keldon who was 19 when he was drafted, there's a lot of upside here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (1) Runs ahead of everyone on the break.
    (2) Makes most of his free throws
    (3) Has good handles for his size
    (4) Can hit the 3
    (5) Can finish with contact.
    (6) 7'3" winspan that you cannot teach!

I don't get why he wasn't drafted.

He's only 19 and you can see that his legs aren't that strong. But he's got the frame to build muscle.

Smith drafted #3 had trouble scoring on him.

19 year olds aren't expected to have a big impact on the NBA. But if we look at the growth trajectory of Keldon who was 19 when he was drafted, there's a lot of upside here.
    Absolute steal. I was hoping that they’d draft a Duren, Williams but couldn’t get that high. I was pretty bummed. But watching this kid, wtf? This kid deserves a late 1st round, at least early second round, but undrafted and on a two-way?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A little further digging and he get's even more intriguing.
    I and others don't understand why no one took a flyer on him in the second round and even more so why wasn't he heavily recruited out of high school?
    Turns out last year his growth plates were still open....
    Looks like he is still adjusting to his body.
    Probably explains the light recruiting , but still don't get why someone didn't take a flyer in the second round. Like most non 1st round picks the odds are against him amounting to much- but there's a lot there to make you want invest in him

Just last year, Dominick Barlow was playing for Dumont High School and dominating the compe ion in North Jersey.

Listed as a 6-foot-5 senior, he dropped 38 points on New Milford, 33 on River Dell and 32 on Bergenfield in January and February of 2021.

Little more than a year later, Barlow, now measuring at 6-10 after a growth spurt during the winter and spring of 2020-21,
    https://www.nj.com/sports/2022/05/nb...ique-path.html

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo and Barlow’s agent seems to really like open growth plates. It’s a creative schtick I suppose in trying to find clients.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A little further digging and he get's even more intriguing.
    I and others don't understand why no one took a flyer on him in the second round and even more so why wasn't he heavily recruited out of high school?
    Turns out last year his growth plates were still open....
    Looks like he is still adjusting to his body.
    Probably explains the light recruiting , but still don't get why someone didn't take a flyer in the second round. Like most non 1st round picks the odds are against him amounting to much- but there's a lot there to make you want invest in him

https://www.nj.com/sports/2022/05/nb...ique-path.html

Any chance that Blake and Malaki have a growth spurt this year?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Overtime Elite model is interesting (though Ignite has better players so far).

It reminds me of the international soccer model where big clubs scour talent from across the globe and put kids as young as 10 years old in their "academies," which includes schooling, housing for family, and of course development. Cesc Fàbregas is an example (not saying we should expect that from Barlow, lol!)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The forgotten child.

Dude has been killing it lately.

Historically, undrafted players barely make it in the NBA. But then again, it’s unprecedented that a player has ever been taken from the Overtime Elite. If there is a brain to go along with his talent, then he could be harnessed into something special.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If moves are made here at the deadline, i think we'll start seeing him more at the big club

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can anyone explain why he had to do OTE instead of an actual learning environment last year? Or was it his choice?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Places like Ignite and Elite are here to stay. The mission should be making those teams better rather than trying to push prospects away. Even if the Ignite is the better model, there's only one of them, which means some prospects wouldn't get the minutes to show anything to scouts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Places like Ignite and Elite are here to stay. The mission should be making those teams better rather than trying to push prospects away. Even if the Ignite is the better model, there's only one of them, which means some prospects wouldn't get the minutes to show anything to scouts.
    No doubt they're here to stay. They get Klutch and ESPN money/involvement. But something ty's going on with young players and how the NBA is having to project futures. I don't remember players who have shown absolutely nothing the year before drafted getting drafted before -- guys like Peyton Watson and Brandon Boston. The NBA is taking massive swings on Wiseman and others.

If Ignite and Elite are immovable, then, yes, they have to be improved, because they're not doing any favors for the players they have.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ well it’s not like college ball is showing the way either. And the recent SCOTUS decision on college sports will only make the ignite et al model more appealing

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In theory, those places would help with technical training with skills, but even if they were able to do that, I have doubts how much they would help with working in a normal team environment and accepting proper coaching and things like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good thread right here on Barlow, the kid is a very intriguing prospect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In theory, those places would help with technical training with skills, but even if they were able to do that, I have doubts how much they would help with working in a normal team environment and accepting proper coaching and things like that.
    Right. Working on skills is one thing. Playing in games is another. Playing in games that count is what you want. No games that Ignite or Elite play in matter one single bit. Sure, you're playing against grown men and athletes and whatever, and those players want contracts, but this still isn't a good game environment. In college, you still get hostile arenas, better coaches gameplanning against you, and if you lose games, you're dropping in conference standings and missing out on year-end tournaments. Possessions matter because games matter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets just bring the kid up for the balance of the season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. Working on skills is one thing. Playing in games is another. Playing in games that count is what you want. No games that Ignite or Elite play in matter one single bit. Sure, you're playing against grown men and athletes and whatever, and those players want contracts, but this still isn't a good game environment. In college, you still get hostile arenas, better coaches gameplanning against you, and if you lose games, you're dropping in conference standings and missing out on year-end tournaments. Possessions matter because games matter.
    Scoot texted. He’s slotted to get drafted #2 and playing for Ignite

Thread Information